Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Poop's Underrated Movie of the Week: Ghostbusters 2

Until I started surfing this here interwebs, I had no clue Ghostbusters 2 was so hated among fans. What!? Where did this come from? Is it as good as the immortal first film? No, but that does not mean it's not a damn good sequel.

Ghostbusters 2 does a wonderful job of recapturing the fun of the first film. The writing, humor and acting was all in line with the first film. Murray yet again steals the show and Ray and Egon still have hilariously silly techno babble talk. The chemistry between everyone is still spot on. The special effects are a huge improvement over the first film (lets face it, some of the effects in GB are pretty dated now) and it has just as many visuals gags and memorable moments as the first film: The courtroom scene, Janosz's eyes turning into flashlights, the subway scene, the bathtub scene, all the ghosts and ghouls going berserk, the Statue of Liberty....stuff that has stuck with me since I was kid. The movie does a good job of giving us another unique and interesting plot with the evil Vigo painting the river of slim that feeds off a negative vibes. Good stuff.

Now, the film is TOO much like the first for it's own good, especially the last act which is almost a retread of the last act of the first film. The script doesn't take enough risks and the film feels a tad tamer then it's predecessor. Yet, that's not enough for it to be the complete failure many fans make it out to be. The cast is still on the ball, the humor is still on the ball (96.8% of the time imo), the effects are still cool as hell and it's still retains most of the charm that makes the first one so good.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Agreed with you on all of those points sir. I love Ghostbusters 2 just as much as the first one. I don't think it's as good as the first, but I enjoy just as much. Always thought that Vigo was a badass foil for the 'Busters as well. Great stuff!
Old 05-22-2012, 04:42 PM
My dad was in Ghostbuster 2 as an extra and you can see him for a brief second in one of the scenes. He actually had a full scene but the negatives were accidentally destroyed.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:53 PM
For me, I love the second one more than the first. Mostly because I watched it way more as a kid and will never forget the courtroom scene.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Ray and Winston: If there's something strange in the neighborhood, who you gonna call?

Kids: He-Man! He-Man! He-Man!
Old 05-24-2012, 12:51 AM
Ever since my very first viewing, my problem is that is FEELS like a sequel even within their own world. Two things greatly stick out for me. 1) When Ray says to the news cameras "We're back!" and 2) they change the logo so the ghost is holding up 2 fingers. I'm sure it's supposed to be just a standard salute but the fact that this image was straight out of the poster just bugged me. I'm surprised there weren't shots of newspaper headlines shouting "Ghostbusters are back!" or something to that effect. Don't get me wrong, i'm entertained by GB2, but it just feels full of itself. "We know you wanted to see a sequel so here it is!"
Old 05-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Despite Bill Murray's thoughts on the matter, I think Ghostbusters 2 is still one of the most underrated movies of the 1980s. It had the daunting task of trying to recapture the magic of the original, and everyone that was involved knew that was going to be hard task to accomplish.

Ghostbusters 2 does follow almost the exact formula of the original, but that never really bothered me. It was just great seeing Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, and Ernie Hudson strap on the proton packs once again and battle some ghosts. I saw GB2 in theaters back in 1989, I was already obsessed with the first movie and the cartoon series. I found the sequel to be more in line with the cartoon series actually. Yes, it was a tad more kid-friendly but once again that never really bothered me. Bill Murray once again stole the show, his sarcastic dead-pan humor is always a delight. However you can tell that his heart wasn't completely committed to the film; he seems bored in some scenes. Dan Aykroyd seemed to be having a blast, as was Harold Ramis. I love that they gave more screen time to Ernie Hudson, although I think they could have used him a bit more. I mean we see him in the beginning of the film, then he just disappears for no reason and doesn't resurface until the court room scene. I have always felt Winston got some what of the shaft in movies, so it was nice to see that Aykroyd and Ramis developed his character a bit more this time around. Rick Moranis was once again hilarious, in fact everyone involved Sigourney Weaver, Annie Potts, etc all seemed to be having a great time. Peter MacNichol almost steals the enitre movie, with his extremely hysterical performance. I thought that Vigo; although not better than Gozer, was a good villian, although they defeated him rather too easily. Also, I loved the river of slime!!!! Good stuff!!!!

I'm actually looking forward to the Blu-Ray release, rumor has it Day Aykroyd has promised it will contain quite a few surprises; including deleted scenes. There were several key scenes that were omitted from the final cut that I think should have remained in the film. Including, Louis (Rick Moranis) hunting Slimer in the firehouse. Also, after the Ghostbusters investigate the Vigo painting, Ray becomes possessed and almost kills himself and the other Ghostbusters by running Ecto 1A into a tree. I believe these scenes were cut due to time constraint and pacing issues.

Altogether, GB2 was and still is a damn fine sequel, and every time I go back and watch it, I find something else I love about it. I will never understand why it gets the shaft from some of the fans. Side note, I'm still on board for a Ghostbusters 3, even though Mr. Murray seems to be dragging his feet still. We all know that he wasn't too happy with GB2, but I must digress and mention that Bill has had his share of stupid decisions when it comes to choosing roles. Both Garfield movies confirm this argument.

Last edited by poguesfan; 05-28-2012 at 09:59 PM..
Old 05-25-2012, 12:55 PM
I have not seen it in years, but when I had it SUCKED. It was a poor sequel. Much less funny and a lazy effort. If it was that good, they would have had a #3. Captured none of the charm of the first.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
I have not seen it in years, but when I had it SUCKED. It was a poor sequel. Much less funny and a lazy effort. If it was that good, they would have had a #3. Captured none of the charm of the first.
A movie need not be good in order to get multiple sequels made (see the endless "Saw," "Paranormal Activity," "Friday the 13th," etc. sequels).

The only thing that puzzled me about this one was Janine and Egon no longer being an item (she essentially switches to Louis instead).
Old 05-25-2012, 07:02 PM
The movie definitely pales in comparison to the first. I think the biggest difference is that the second one isn't as dark as the first. The first is a dark comedy while the second just feels like a comedy. The characters do make it a lot of fun, but the story and villain is weak. The ending was all that great either.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
The movie definitely pales in comparison to the first. I think the biggest difference is that the second one isn't as dark as the first. The first is a dark comedy while the second just feels like a comedy. The characters do make it a lot of fun, but the story and villain is weak. The ending was all that great either.
I wouldn't call the first film a dark comedy what so ever. It was darker in the sense that the threat felt more genuine and creepy. The comedy itself wasn't dark at all.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Vigo without a doubt one of the most badass villains out there. A random thought of how much I need a copy of his painting in my home now will ensue.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:40 PM
Viggie, Viggie, Viggie. You have been a bad monkey!

Last edited by ilovemovies; 05-27-2012 at 04:07 AM..
Old 05-27-2012, 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poguesfan View Post
Despite Bill Murray's thoughts on the matter, I think Ghostbusters 2 is still one of the most underrated movies of the 1980s. It had the daunting task of trying to recapture the magic of the original, and everyone that was involved knew that was going to be hard task to accomplish.

Ghostbusters 2 does follow almost the exact formula of the original, but I that never really bothered me. It was just great seeing Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, and Ernie Hudson strap the proton packs on again and battle some ghosts. I saw GB2 in theaters back in 1989, I was already obsessed with the first movie and the cartoon series. I found the sequel to be more in line with the cartoon series actually. Yes, it was a tad more kid-friendly but once again that never really bothered me. Bill Murray once again stole the show, his sarcastic dead-pan humor is always a delight. Dan Aykroyd seemed to be having a blast, as was Harold Ramis. I love that they gave more screen time to Ernie Hudson, although I think they could have used him a bit more. I felt Winston got the some what of the shaft in movies, so it was nice to see that Aykroyd and Ramis developed his character even more. Rick Moranis was once again hilarious, in fact everyone involved Sigourney Weaver, Annie Potts, etc all seemed to be having a great time. Peter MacNichol almost steals the enitre movie, with his extremely hysterical performance. I thought that Vigo; although not better than Gozer, was a good villian, although they defeated him rather too easily. Also, I loved the river of slime!!!! Good stuff!!!!

Altogether, GB2 was and still is a damn fine sequel, and every time I go back and watch it, I find something else I love about it. I will never understand why it gets the shaft from some of the fans. Side note, I'm still on board for a Ghostbusters 3, even though Mr. Murray seems to be dragging his feet still. We all know that he wasn't too happy with GB2, but I must digress and mention that Bill has had his share of stupid decisions when it comes to choosing roles. Both Garfield movies confirm this argument.
Agree 100% with this. Of course it was not better than the first one, but it was a good sequel.

Ghostbusters 2 was the one that got repeat viewing from me at the theaters when I was little. Ghostbusters came out in 1984 when I was 6 years old, so I barely remember it in the theaters. I was 11 when Ghostbusters 2 came out.

I played video games (and still do), so I was going crazy when Egon was controlling the Statue of Liberty with an NES Advantage controller! I had the same controller at home!
Old 05-27-2012, 09:04 AM
I think Ghostbusters 2 is underrated and overlooked because it usually isn't seen as "scary", but more comedic, than its predecessor. I disagree, completely, but on the contrary I think, in some parts, it's actually more terrifying than the original. Vigo is a menacing villain who seems to have a more personal goal that forces the team to assemble and the addition of MacNicol as the overly flamboyant possessed art dealer is an added bonus. I think the only part that really hinders the film is the focus on Murray's and Weaver's characters love life and constant struggle over the baby. I think more time should have been spent with the guys with sprinkles of Weaver here and there. In the first, it made sense to have Weaver as such a prominent character because it was her apartment that Zulu? was in control of and she was the main catalyst driving the plot.