Old 06-18-2010, 12:26 PM
The 4th film, good and bad

Let's talk 4th films, commonly known as fourquels (or maybe I just made that word up).

Sometimes they're good, they're often bad, but I don't think they're ever truly great.

I'm mainly interested in series that carry on with one or more of the same characters. That would be such series as Indiana Jones and Die Hard. I don't think we should count Dogma as a 4th film, nor should we count Land of the Dead. I think we can be lax enough to count movies like Batman & Robin and even Wolverine, though.

With that in mind, fire away!
Old 06-18-2010, 01:15 PM
Alien: Resurrection?

Maybe not completely awful, like the AVP films, but it was with Resurrection that I thought the Alien franchise was beginning to lose most of its steam. Then again, I'm one of those crazy cult people that loves Alien 3 (particularly due to the Assembly Cut).

Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace?

Although entitled "Episode I," it was the fourth Star Wars film to be conceived. Not too crazy about this one either.

Critters 4: They're Invading You Space?

Brad Dourif and Angela Basset battling a pair of Krites. One of the Krites was bald. That's all I remember.

I think by the time many film franchises get to their fourth entry, many studios (or the filmmakers behind them) just don't take them seriously in an artistic sense. If your franchise lasts to its fourth chapter, it's most likely considered a "tentpole" of some sort and treated as a means to cash in a name brand.

Now, lets talk about The Next Karate Kid (a.k.a. Hilary Swank's Revenge)!

Last edited by FireCaptain4; 06-18-2010 at 01:38 PM..
Old 06-18-2010, 04:05 PM
They're all crap.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Part Four's of everything are almost always bad installments.

Except I thought Land of the Dead was a good movie. Not great, but good.

And I still think Crystal Skull was fun. Not a masterpiece, but fun.

F13: The Final Chapter is excellent and the best of the series

Omen 4 is good.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:40 PM
I won't lie, I still love Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Live Free or Die Hard is highly underrated. Terminator Salvation is also underrated, but I admit it's very problematic. I've always considered Alien Resurrection the Alien series' true POS, even over the AVPs. Batman & Robin...umm, nuff said.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Dug Terminator Salvation and Live Free Or Die Hard.

The rest are usually fly covered wet shit.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:04 AM
I enjoy Die Hard 4, LW 4, Indiana Jones 4, Final Chapter & thunderbolt & Halloween 4,

Last edited by athf1980; 06-19-2010 at 12:08 AM..
Old 06-19-2010, 01:43 AM
I quite like Lethal Weapon 4, it wrapped up the series in a good way, and was much better then 3. I thought Rambo was lousy. If you look at Brosnan's run at 007 as a seperate series, then DIE Another Day was mostly lousy with scattered scenes of good Bond. Also better then it's part 3 (The World is not Enough). Hellraiser 4 is hard to judge since the released version was missing most of the first act and padded with filler shot by a replacement director who didnt seem to have watched any of the other films in the series. What came out was partialy interesting but again mostly lousy.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:16 AM
...I honestly can't think of one. :|
Old 06-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Because it's a series of books that ultimately tells a single story I don't know if it counts but Harry Potter 4 is one of the best installments in the series (IMO).
Old 06-19-2010, 10:45 AM
Ah, I don't count Harry Potter 4 :P But if that would count, I'd definitely rank that at the top. The 4th is still my favorite of the series, with the 6th following closely behind.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by athf1980 View Post
I enjoy Die Hard 4, LW 4, Indiana Jones 4 & Halloween 4
Yep. I enjoyed these. Halloween 4 is infact, my favorite movie of that franchise.

Also dug Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master.

And Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

And somebody mentioned already Terminator Salvation. I loved that movie too.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:42 AM
I DID NOT enjoy Live Free or Die Hard (Die Hard 4 in NAME ONLY)

However, I did like Rambo 4 because it was true to the franchise and it didn't puss out.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:35 PM
I like Alien 4. I like all the Alien films, 3 and 4 get way too much flack than they deserve.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotreme View Post
Ah, I don't count Harry Potter 4.
I would count it. It's the fourth installment in a series that continued on based on hype and it continues multiple on-going storylines of an ensemble group of characters. I would sooner count Harry Potter than I would Land of the Dead. It's easier to make a 4th film work if you're not working with the same characters.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Yes, but that's just the thing: It's NOT a series that continued on based on hype: It's a series that continued on because there are 7 source novels. It's like The Lord of the Rings - it's hard for me to consider Two Towers to be one of the "best sequels" or Return of the King to be one of the "best threequels", because I view the trilogy as one whole. Sure, the Potter movies are distinctly separate and all work on their own, but I do think that it's more of an adaptation of the novel "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" than it is a "fourquel" to the first Harry Potter film.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:50 PM
Ranked:
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Terminator Salvation
Alien Resurrection
Old 06-20-2010, 02:03 AM
Police Academy 4 - Where's the love?

Die Hard 4 - Really liked this one a lot. One of my favorites of that year. Better than Die Hard 2.

Rambo 4 - Very good. I wasn't sure if it was going to be any good, but it was a blast.

Lethal Weapon 4 - I've always considered all four of these movies pretty even (with 2 being the best). They are all good, but I haven't seen this since it came out.

Alien Resurrection - Meh. The Aliens were cool, but the movie was forgettable.

Halloween 4 - Pretty good movie and a cool take on the story. Too bad they ran it into the ground. Halloween 2 and 4 are the only ones I really like at all.

Harry Potter 4 - I didn't love this as much as some others did, but all these movies are good.

Indiana Jones 4 - Pretty meh. Uninspired.

Nightmare on Elm Street 4 - Really enjoyed this one. My second favorite after New Nightmare.

Star Trek IV - One of the best. Love this movie.

Scary Movie 4 - Was getting a little tired, but had some pretty funny moments. Overall, the second weakest of the movies.

Terminator Salvation - I enjoyed this more than most. Very entertaining movie.

X-Men: Wolverine - I also liked this more than most, but it did have a pretty stupid story. Aside from X2, all the X-Men movies have been pretty good, but not great.

Superman 4 - Nuclear Man? WTF?

Jaws 4 - Made Jaws 3 look like Jaws 1.

Batman & Robin - Oh, my head hurts...

Fast & Furious - Really entertaining and fun action movie. I've liked all these, except for part 3.

The Sum of All Fears - Ah, bet you forgot about this one, didn't you? That's because it wasn't that good. Not that it was terrible. It was okay. Nothing special.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:30 AM
I don't think Wolverine counts as a 4th X-Men film.

Die Hard 4 was OK, but it's the weakest of the quadrilogy.

Indy 4 was bad. Sorry.

Terminator Salvation was good. Not phenomenal, but good.

Rambo 4 was awesome. It pulls no punches and ends the series perfectly. I sure hope they won't make a 5th because it will just spoil the whole franchise.

Alien Resurrection was all right, just not very coherent. It had a couple of good scenes though.

Batman & Robin. Haha. It's memorable for Arnie's cheesy one liners, but that's it.

Lethal Weapon 4. Not bad. The humour was over the top, but Jet Li kicks ass here.

familiarfantasy.blogspot.com
Old 06-20-2010, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post

Fast & Furious - Really entertaining and fun action movie. I've liked all these, except for part 3.

The Sum of All Fears - Ah, bet you forgot about this one, didn't you? That's because it wasn't that good. Not that it was terrible. It was okay. Nothing special.

Personally, I would rank The Sum of All Fears a head of Patriot Games. Not as good as Clear and Present Danger or Hunt for Red October though.

Forgot about Fast & Furious. I liked it a lot too. Infact, it's my favorite of the entire franchise.

I agree that Nightmare 4 is the second best after New Nightmare.

And, wait. Are you saying that X2 isn't good? Cause I have to strongly disagree with you there. I thought it was best X-Men movie, although the first one is very close too.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Indy 4
Die Hard 4
Lethal Weapon 4
T4
Rambo 4

Dig these ones especially.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminal_83 View Post
Omen 4 is good.
NO!!!!!
Old 06-20-2010, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Personally, I would rank The Sum of All Fears a head of Patriot Games. Not as good as Clear and Present Danger or Hunt for Red October though.
Ugh. Really? I think Patriot Games is easily the best one, with Hunt for Red October next. I thought Clear and Present Danger was a complete bore.

Quote:
And, wait. Are you saying that X2 isn't good? Cause I have to strongly disagree with you there. I thought it was best X-Men movie, although the first one is very close too.

No. I'm saying it was the only "Great" movie of the bunch, the others were just "pretty good."
Old 06-21-2010, 01:35 PM
I enjoyed Live Free or Die Hard and Lethal Weapon 4, but those are the only fourth installments of a franchise I own on DVD. I do own Alien: Resurrection as part of the Alien Quadrilog; saw it once and absolutely hated it, so I won't be watching it again.

I didn't like the 4th Indiana Jones flick; Terminator Salvation was okay, but barely worth re-watching.

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home is probably my favorite of the series (w/ the original cast). That's a great movie and probably the best 4th entry of any series, in my opinion.

One that could probably beat it is Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, my favorite of that series so far.

The worst . . . either Batman & Robin or Superman IV: The Quest for Peace. Of course, the 4th Police Academy probably should be mentioned among these as well.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home is probably my favorite of the series (w/ the original cast). That's a great movie and probably the best 4th entry of any series, in my opinion.
Good call.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:14 AM
[QUOTE=Badbird;3250515]Ugh. Really? I think Patriot Games is easily the best one, with Hunt for Red October next. I thought Clear and Present Danger was a complete bore.

QUOTE]

Tru dat. While I really enjoyed Sum Of All Fears (especially Liev Schreiber's super bad ass John Clark) it doesn't come close to the Ford/Baldwin outings.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Ugh. Really? I think Patriot Games is easily the best one, with Hunt for Red October next. I thought Clear and Present Danger was a complete bore.
Quote:

I thought Hunt for Red October and Clear and Present Danger were the best of the series, with Patriot Games not far behind. I've only seen bits and pieces of Sum of all Fears, including the end, but didn't find it too interesting.

I do agree with you that X2 is the best of that series though.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:01 AM
I thought Clear and Present Danger and The Hunt for Red October were both GREAT movies, where as both Patriot Games and The Sum of All Fears are both SOLID movies. But thought Fear was a little more exciting than Games and had a better story too.

Maybe I liked The Sum of All Fear more because it practically has the same plot as season 2 of the TV show 24.

Last edited by ilovemovies; 06-22-2010 at 06:03 AM..
Old 06-22-2010, 02:02 PM
I find Rocky 4 entertaining. It's hilarious.

LW 4 is a great flick, fits perfectly with the series and is a great wrap up.

You Only Live Twice was pretty good.

Episode I has issues but it's good overall.

I think we can all agree that Beverly Hills Cop IV will be the best fourquel of all time.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfpsycho415 View Post
I think we can all agree that Beverly Hills Cop IV will be the best fourquel of all time.
We really can't.