Old 11-29-2002, 05:49 PM
Spirit: Stallion Of The Cimarron

SPIRIT: STALLION OF THE CIMARRON (2002)

Wow, I don't think I have been this truly engaged in an animated movie since I was a kid. In fact, I don't think I've ever been this engaged in an animated movie.

"Spirit" is a beautiful movie with wonderful animation. It kept me interested the whole time which is rare with animated movies, there's usually always at least one point where I find myself a little bored, but that didn't happen with "Spirit." I've heard quite a few people complain about all of the Bryan Adams songs in the movie but it didn't bother me one bit. I loved how the story was basically told through the music, it was something original that surprisingly worked wonderfully.

"Spirit" is an underrated animated gem and one of the best animated films I've ever seen. It was adorable, funny, and sad. I was shocked that it actually made me tear up twice. I will definitely be adding this to my DVD collection and it will be a crime if it doesn't win an Oscar for "Best Animated Picture," it truly deserves it.

Grade: 9/10 or A or ****1/2 of *****

Last edited by Mike; 11-29-2002 at 05:53 PM..
Old 11-30-2002, 08:01 PM
Wow!

Thats a pretty damn high grade! Too bad I still have no interest at all in seeing SPIRIT...
Old 11-30-2002, 08:20 PM
Re: Wow!

Quote:
Originally posted by Horror whore
Thats a pretty damn high grade! Too bad I still have no interest at all in seeing SPIRIT...
Well, I'm not too big on animated movies but I really enjoyed SPIRIT. It was really cute and I loved the animation.
Old 12-01-2002, 11:55 AM
I agree with you 100% Mike. Spirit is a wonderful film with beautiful animation, wonderful voice peformances, a great story, a sweet love sub-plot, and much more. This film had better win an Oscar, but I doubt it will. It'll probably go to Lilo and Stitch.....
Old 12-01-2002, 01:44 PM
i usually love animayed films, but i have to homestly say that spirit is one of the worst movies that i have ever seen in my life.
Old 12-01-2002, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by El Bracamonti
i usually love animayed films, but i have to homestly say that spirit is one of the worst movies that i have ever seen in my life.
And I have to say that SPIRIT is honestly one of the most underrated animated films I have seen in my life. It gets unfairly bashed.
Old 12-01-2002, 05:27 PM
After seeing Ice Age I really wanted to see this. So I went out and rented it today and here is what I thought of it: I didn't like Spirit anywhere near as much as I did Ice Age, but I would still give it a 7/10. I liked the way the horses didn't talk any and I'd have to agree with Mike about the animation being great. I did find myself bored at times in the film but at other times I found the film entertaining. Also Matt Damon does a great job at narrating.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:25 PM
This movie was so boring not engaging at all. (4/10)

Read JoBlo's review...it's SPOT ON!
Old 12-06-2002, 11:14 PM
Although the animation was wonderful, and the music was nice, i didn't like the fact that

SPOILERS
we heard everything that was going to happen before it did in Spirit's head. I liked how none of the horses talked, but I think it would have given more to the movie if we hadn't heard Spirit talk at all. I mean I thought Matt Damon did a wonderful job narrarating, it's just....on some of the scenes I felt very moved, then it was interupted by whatever Spirit was thinking. We already know what he's thinking the majority of the movie anyway just by his actions and the surroundings, but I guess the movie had to be more clearer to children. I really liked the scene in the snow though, when Spirit was on the train. That was nice.
SPOILERS

I liked a few of the Bryan Adams songs, especially the theme song "Here I am" but i got a little tired of hearing him after a while.

To make this short, I came out with exactly what I had expected, maybe a little more. I definately think it should get nominated for Best animated picture, along with Return to Neverland and Ice Age, so far. But good lord, I hope Lilo and Stitch doesn't run away with it. I'm tired of disney trying to be "hip" with their "New Groove" and things like that. Why can't they be as sentimental as they used to be. Yeah. well. I still think Monster's Inc. should have got it last year, but I'll have to do some thinking as to which one of the three I liked the best. I might get ridiculed for this but I actually liked Return to Neverland. hehe. but, I give Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron the same rating I gave Ice Age

7/10
Old 12-10-2002, 09:23 PM
Spirit was excellent, i really enjoyed it. It wasnt a story that just blows ya mind or sitting on the edge of ya seat.... it was just a nice story and if ya into that sorta thing its well worth ya while goin to see it
Old 12-22-2002, 06:20 AM
Darn, i need to see this film. I mean i own the bloody soundtrack, and i haven't seen the film?! HOW MAD IS THAT?! ah HA! ah HAHAHA! HAHAHA *cough hack cough*

- Your resident Virus Twins obsessive. INFECT ME!!!
Old 05-05-2003, 11:22 PM
I got this movie out on DVD from the library and it stopped half-way through because of some kind of PS2 fuckup. Luckily I didn't have to pay.

I was quite pleased with the beginning of the film so I caught it later on pay-per-view.

I thought the movie was OK. It got worse as it went along.

THE GOOD

-Beautiful animation.
-Some entertaining set pieces.
-The score.
-I liked how the horses didn't speak, it made the movie more original.
-The facial expressions on the horses really worked, and it made you sympathise or be happy for them - whatever emotion, it always worked.

THE BAD

-Generic, tedious villains.
-A horse can jump over a canyon?
-A horse can survive falling down a waterfall?
-2 HORSES can survive falling down a waterfall?
-Many shots are used over and over again
-And this conversation:

"You will always be in my heart. Go home, Spirit, who cannot be broken."
Ridiculous!

All in all it was an OK kiddie movie but nothing to go psycho about and I am happy it didn't win Best Animated Feature.

6/10
Old 05-05-2003, 11:25 PM
I got this movie out on DVD from the library and it stopped half-way through because of some kind of PS2 fuckup. Luckily I didn't have to pay.

I was quite pleased with the beginning of the film so I caught it later on pay-per-view.

I thought the movie was OK. It got worse as it went along.

THE GOOD

-Beautiful animation.
-Some entertaining set pieces.
-The score.
-I liked how the horses didn't speak, it made the movie more original.
-The facial expressions on the horses really worked, and it made you sympathise or be happy for them - whatever emotion, it always worked.

THE BAD

-Generic, tedious villains.
-Fucking Bryan Adams, everytime I was enjoying the score one of his bloody songs blared over the soundtrack. Some were pretty good, but others just pissed me off.
-A horse can jump over a canyon?
-A horse can survive falling down a waterfall?
-2 HORSES can survive falling down a waterfall?
-Many shots are used over and over again
-And this conversation:

"You will always be in my heart. Go home, Spirit, who cannot be broken."
Ridiculous!

All in all it was an OK kiddie movie but nothing to go psycho about and I am happy it didn't win Best Animated Feature.

6/10
Old 05-07-2003, 08:22 PM
SPIRIT: Stallion of the Cimarron
Rating: **** out of ***** or B+ or 8/10

Wow!, this movie really surprised me.After reading all this reviews(Including JoBloīs), I thought that this was going to be boring.But I was wrong, this movie entertained me all the time and amazed me with its beautiful and superb animation.Colors, sounds, music, all was perfect.

The movie was cute and original.I found it very weird that the horses didnīt talk, making it different from most Disney movies.
What I like about Dreamworks is that they always find unique ways of telling their movies.Shreak was amazing, it really deserved the Oscar.And this one is very different, but it was still very good.

I didnīt like the voice of Matt Damon, it was uneccesary.You could see what was going on by seeing the horses expression.But I guess it was for the children.And talking about that, I donīt think that many children are going to like this movie, itīs a pretty boring movie for kids, thereīs almost no action and only a few funny scenes(Like the one with the ice pick...lol! )

Anyway, Spirit was a beautiful horse that did amazing things(But in a couple of scenes I was like: Yeah, right...).All the characters were nice and well developed.Even the villain.Who was an asshole.

About the songs, I really liked all of them.Specially the one called HERE IīAM.That deserved an Oscar nomination.They were all very beautiful and all matched the scene properly.Bryan Adams is not my favourite singer, but I didnīt mind him at all.

SPIRIT is one of 2002īs best movies IMO, it changed completely my top 10, taking place #9.Before Narc.

Thumbs up!
Old 05-07-2003, 09:47 PM
I am 100% with JoBlo on his review, but I feel he was too generous. Spirit is boring, badly written, plotless, and has some of the most hilariously overdone animation in the history of animation.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:14 PM

I'm really glad you liked it Sad man! It's too bad more people won't give it a chance...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Lyrik
Spirit is boring, badly written, plotless, and has some of the most hilariously overdone animation in the history of animation.

Badly written!? LOL... The film barely has any dialogue... And what do you mean by the animation being overdone? I didn't think that at all, it was PERFECT!
Old 05-08-2003, 05:21 PM
EH?

Jon Lyrik, please define exactly what ya mean by "overdone animation." Animation is a medium where anything can happen, from heroes getting punched through mountain faces to Jessica Rabbit actually being able to walk with correct posture.

Overdone animation is yet another oxymoron added to the list.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
[B]I'm really glad you liked it Sad man! It's too bad more people won't give it a chance...B]
Yeah too bad, itīs a really great movie.I donīt agree with Jon Lyric, but thatīs ok, like JoBlo says: To each its own.

Anyway, I forgot about the DVD.It was amazing, all kind of extras, we learn how to draw Spirit, we can play a lot of games, there are a lot of behind the scenes documentary and all kind of stuff.A perfect DVD for a great movie.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:37 PM
sm

it was good film ,i ever seen in my life.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by symond View Post
yeah it is not good . It is okay to me.
Lol... Make up your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by symond View Post
Downland everything!movies, music, games, applications from the entire file hosting websites at www.zavera.com
Downland? Down syndrome more like it