Old 06-25-2010, 07:28 AM
Your thoughts on Martin Landau in Ed Wood?

Such an amazing performance, the whole film is brilliant and so is everyone in it, but Landau's multi layered performance as Bela Lugosi is amazing, he brings so much humour, tragedy, sadness, joy, and triumph to the role. This is the best decision the Oscars ever made in the supporting category, well deserved win
Old 06-25-2010, 07:33 AM
Agreed. One of my all-time favorite supporting performances in what is Tim Burton's second best film (topped only by Edward Scissorhands, but just barely). He nails everything - the accent, the facial expressions, the mannerisms, the speech pattern... it is just a brilliantly realized character, and a fantastic performance from an underrated actor. I, too, am so glad he won the Oscar for it.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotreme View Post
Agreed. One of my all-time favorite supporting performances in what is Tim Burton's second best film (topped only by Edward Scissorhands, but just barely). He nails everything - the accent, the facial expressions, the mannerisms, the speech pattern... it is just a brilliantly realized character, and a fantastic performance from an underrated actor. I, too, am so glad he won the Oscar for it.
Which would be your favorite scene? I love the scene where he wrestles with the Octopus
Old 06-25-2010, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMan300 View Post
Which would be your favorite scene? I love the scene where he wrestles with the Octopus
That is definitely one of my favorites. I also love his stint at re-hab, and of course, "Karloff isn't fit to smell my shit!"

Old 06-25-2010, 04:19 PM
I actually just watched the movie for the first time the other day. It's an amazing performance for sure and is an unfortunately very underrated movie. Everyone became a fan of Depp and Burton after Pirates and the Willy Wonka remake but almost no one knows of their best collaboration
Old 06-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface98.9 View Post
I actually just watched the movie for the first time the other day. It's an amazing performance for sure and is an unfortunately very underrated movie. Everyone became a fan of Depp and Burton after Pirates and the Willy Wonka remake but almost no one knows of their best collaboration
I'd say this film is pretty sufficiently respected, both at the time of release (considering its relative success at the Oscars) and also in present day by film aficionados: I think that most casual Tim Burton fans, and even people who don't like him that much, will admit that this is their favorite film of his. But I agree - in terms of the general public who only know Burton as the director of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Alice in Wonderland, and Depp as Jack Sparrow, this film is definitely underrated. But they'd never have the patience for a film in black and white anyway, so why bother.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:16 PM
I think it's one of the best performances in film history, totally deserved that Oscar.

What Scarface98.9 said is true, it seems like most of the public can name all Depp/Burton collaborations except this one, which is a damn shame.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:49 AM

I remember after the movie, I was walking out with a friend who commented that the film was simply beautiful. I said something to the effect of "just give Landau the Oscar right now cause it won't get any better, any more perfect." I was fortunate enough to meet him about six years later and I told him how much I loved his performance. He was truly a gentleman and really appreciative. I grabbed a small scrap of paper I found on my desk and asked for an autograph which he happily gave (and I still have.) When he came back into my office about five months later, the doors opened and he called out my name! He actually remembered me from a three minute conversation several months earlier. I also remember how the Academy cut off his acceptance speech at the Oscars with the damm orchestra. I try to watch this movie every October and I've introduced it to many who had forgotten all about it or never even knew about it.

"THROW ME THAT WHISKEY!"
Old 06-26-2010, 04:16 AM
I have not seen Ed Wood. And I am also a fan of Mr Landau. So, I should put this film in my "Must watch" list, yes? From what I have read so far... consider it done.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:18 AM
Magnificent performance by a talented character actor for sure. I'm not a Burton fan, but "Ed Wood" is a practice in lunacy and Landau keeps up well. His performance as Lugosi is quite spectacular and I love the scene where he's wrestling the octopus in the cold water.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
I have not seen Ed Wood. And I am also a fan of Mr Landau. So, I should put this film in my "Must watch" list, yes? From what I have read so far... consider it done.
You should definitely put this film on your list, near the top preferably! As a fan of Landau, you owe it to yourself to see this which is without a doubt his best performance and, like what many people have been saying, one of the greatest performances of all time!
Old 06-26-2010, 05:53 AM
Quote:
You should definitely put this film on your list, near the top preferably! As a fan of Landau, you owe it to yourself to see this which is without a doubt his best performance and, like what many people have been saying, one of the greatest performances of all time!
What Mono said.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Quote:
I'd say this film is pretty sufficiently respected, both at the time of release (considering its relative success at the Oscars) and also in present day by film aficionados: I think that most casual Tim Burton fans, and even people who don't like him that much, will admit that this is their favorite film of his. But I agree - in terms of the general public who only know Burton as the director of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Alice in Wonderland, and Depp as Jack Sparrow, this film is definitely underrated. But they'd never have the patience for a film in black and white anyway, so why bother.
We (and the critics) love it no doubt, I'm just going by anecdotes. A filmmaker friend of mine is a HUGE Burton fan and influences his projects but he had never heard of it when I mentioned it
Old 06-27-2010, 12:21 AM
I think the performance is sheer brilliance. Landau was totally deserving of the Oscar and it is truly one of my favorite performances ever. It's such a great movie.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:24 AM
Martin was simply captivating in the role of "Bela Lugosi". If any have seen the rather frail and aged Bela Lugosi of the Ed Wood films: circa 1950's-then you know why Landau was so impressive in the role. No explanation needed! Tim Burton's "Ed Wood" (1994) = ****1/2 outta 5 stars -one of my favorites.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:24 AM
Im so glad people agree, I know there are a lot of Pulp Fiction fans who think Sam Jackson was more deserving but I just cant see it, Landau's performance was more captivating, layered and all round better
Old 06-27-2010, 08:41 AM
Brilliant performance. Some may say Sam Jackson deserved it but I wholly agree Landau earned that Oscar. I love him in Ed Wood for good reason. HE IS Lugosi for in that film.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:29 PM
"Let's shoot this fucker!"
Old 06-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface98.9 View Post
We (and the critics) love it no doubt, I'm just going by anecdotes. A filmmaker friend of mine is a HUGE Burton fan and influences his projects but he had never heard of it when I mentioned it
Well, that guy doesn't sound like a very big Burton fan to me...!