Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2010, 01:02 AM
"True Lies is more horrible to women than Lars von Trier's Antichrist"

Okay, this blog is a year old, but I just found it after watching True Lies tonight. This guy is clearly nuts.

True Lies is more horrible to women than Lars von Trier's Antichrist

I thought Lars von Trier's Antichrist was misogynistic and nasty. But then I saw James Cameron's True Lies

Posted by Michael Hann Wednesday 15 July 2009 12.12 BST guardian.co.uk

The cluster of us who sit around what might loosely be termed the Guardian's "film desk" have spent a fair bit of time over the past couple of months discussing Lars von Trier's Antichrist. Specifically: is it a masterpiece of confrontational cinema, stunningly shot, wonderfully acted; or is it a piece of misogynist nastiness, an expression of fear about female sexuality, with no greater purpose than the Saw or Hostel films?

I'm in the latter camp. Indeed, I thought it might be a contender for the coveted title of most hateful movie to women. Then, the other night, I saw True Lies on TV. Wow. If that was the only James Cameron film you had ever seen, you'd come away thinking he was a man who really, really, really hated women. Aliens and the Terminator movies are on hand to redress the balance, but True Lies is a whole lot of balance to be redressed.

You may know the plot: Arnold Schwarzenegger is an agent in an ultra-secret government agency performing wet ops around the world. But as far as his wife (Jamie Lee Curtis) knows, he's a computer salesman, so dedicated to his work that he has no time for her. In desperation, she begins a flirtation with a used-car salesman (Bill Paxton), who pretends to be a secret agent to impress her. Oh, the irony.

Here's where it gets unpleasant rather than just silly. On finding out about Curtis's flirtation, Schwarzenegger arranges a full military operation on the trailer park where she has gone with Paxton. She is snatched at gunpoint and taken for questioning – Paxton's posing as an agent providing the pretext for her to be treated like a criminal. Under interrogation, she reveals she was bored with her marriage, and craved excitement, whereupon Schwarzenegger – his identity disguised – offers her the chance to become an agent herself. Her first mission? To pose as a prostitute, and perform an erotic dance in front of a target (who turns out to be Schwarzenegger, identity still concealed). Let's recap: in order to spice up his marriage, the Schwarzenegger character pimps out his wife.

Maybe my wife's a bit fussy, but I reckon she'd divorce me if I did that.

I know it's just a film. I know it's not a serious film. I know it's an old film. But it's a staggering piece of work, awesome in its offensiveness. And it treats the deception and mistreatment of women as a joke. Say what you like about Von Trier, but at least no one comes out of his movies thinking his contempt for women is just a bit of a laugh.

Link
Old 07-11-2010, 01:19 AM
True Lies isn't that good of a movie.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:29 AM
Quote:
And it treats the deception and mistreatment of women as a joke.

He's right, you know. True Lies also treats casual death and destruction, terrorism, car salesmen, masculinity and lots of other stuff as a joke, or at least as entertainment, because it's an action comedy. And this is kind of the gag of that genre.
Sure it makes my head hurt when Curtis' character accidentally drops the gun and is like wuh-oh-oh-ahhh and it falls down the stairs and shoots everybody, but this Michael Hann guy watched an episode of Married with Children and his head did a Scanners explode.

But if he were talking about, let's say, the girl in that Temple of Doom Indiana Jones movie... Then we're five by five.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdraven View Post
Neither was Antichrist IMO.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:48 AM
Quote:
Oh don't we need your opinion.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:04 AM
Quote:
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome True Lies is.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Word! True Lies is AWESOME!

Harry: You tell on me, I tell on you.
Gib: What are you talking about, I'm as clean as a preacher's sheets. I'm as clean as...
Harry: What about that time you blew a six-week operation because you were too busy getting a blow job?
Gib: You knew about that?
Harry: Uh-huh.

And... (just to name a few)

Gib: Same thing happened to me with wife number two, 'member? I have no idea nothing's going on, right? I come home one day and the house is empty, and I mean completely empty. She even took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ICE CUBE trays out of the FREEZER?
Old 07-11-2010, 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
Neither was Antichrist IMO.
I won't offend some schmoes by saying that Antichrist was total fucking shit.

But I will say that I didn't enjoy the film one little bit. I'm sorry, but I just didn't.

But I guess in the end, those two lines amount to the same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
Oh don't we need your opinion.
I Lol'd...
Old 07-11-2010, 03:33 AM
Quote:
La Totale was better.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:36 AM
This-->? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103103/

The first review says it's almost as entertaining as True Lies. So, you have seen it, right?

True Lies isn't based on La Totale, is it?
Old 07-11-2010, 05:12 AM
Quote:
That's pretty much my bottom line. It's a lot like Basic Instinct, in that it's boring and often offensively stupid but (to use Bill Hicks' formulation about BI), it's too much of a piece of shit to really worry much about any of it.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Lmao!

True Lies simply fucking rocks. The best spoof of the spy genre ever made.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
True Lies isn't based on La Totale, is it?
Yup. Still can't find subs for that damn film.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:41 AM
Perhaps Servo understands French?
Old 07-11-2010, 10:20 AM
It's funny, what he discribes as this deception and such of women does in fact happen in this movie but not in the way he's describing. Curtis's character is being decived in this way by Paxtons character and not Anrie's.

Paxton is the one deciving with an agenda to take advatage of Curtis for his own personal gain. He wants to do her and leave her and has realized this "secret agent" shtick is a good way to prey on lonely women for a quick thrill.

Meanwhile Arnie is deciving his wife but its for her actual safety as not only deoes she not know what he does his enemies dont seem to know he has any kind of family. Later in the film when the when the supposed "pimping" happens he's doing this with his wifes best intrests in mind. She says she's bored? Ok lets set up a super realistic role play. There was no real danger involved and Arnie was the only man she was to be with so i don't see how its so horrible. He even tells her that all she has to do is plant the bug so he's either p[lanning to reveal himself befoer anything actually happens or he's seeing if she'll really cheat and he be revealed then anyways.

It's not like Arnie was like "Ok you're gonna go fuck this guy so he's distracted so we can steal stuffs outta his safe."
Old 07-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Quote:
It's better than The Crow.