Old 07-12-2010, 01:47 AM
MARVEL UNIVERSE - Afro-Superheroes

What an amazing fictional Universe Marvel Comics has created over these many decades, for the printed page initially. Growing up in the 1970's buying comics, mainly between the years of 1972-1978. I gravitated towards Marvel Comics monthly titles more so than the D.C. title runs. Marvel just had so much more variety to offer the reader & fans of comic art IMO. Monsters! Superheroes! Super Villains! Characters from ancient mythology! and Cosmic Beings! of every known race on Earth and beyond the boundaries of Earth. One rather small racial representation of the Superhero and Super Villain,were the African American and Afro-International characters. However few,they were awesome characters! Like streetwise ex-con w/steel hard skin due to an accident, "Luke Cage, Power Man"! From the pages of Marvel's "Jungle Action" the "Wakandan Prince", "T'Challa" aka "The Black Panther"! Again, from the pages of a Marvel Comics long running series title, "Strange Tales"-"Jericho Drumm" and brother "Daniel" (who's spirit embodied Jericho) aka "Brother Voodoo"! Another saw action in the Marvel title-"Captain America" "Cap's" buddy who shared the title with him-"Sam Wilson" aka the high flying "Falcon"! w/ his pet falcon "Red Wing". These were the primary Black Superheroes in the Marvel Universe from my era of comic buying circa 1972-'78. A number of others followed over the decades to come. -"Blade The Vampire Slayer" from Marvel Comics awesome title "Tomb Of Dracula" series wasn't exactly a "superhero" but could pass under that title I suppose? In the 80's a Black woman "Monica Rambeau" aka "Captain Marvel" from "The Avengers",she later had a name change to "Photon". Others from the 70's-through 1990's were "Black Goliath"-"The X-Men's" powerful female heroine "Storm" and "Tony Stark's" buddy "James Rhodey" aka "War Machine". Two thumbs up! for the Black Superheroes! some of the coolest ever, from the Marvel Universe!
Click image for larger version

Name:	powerman23comic.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	8634

Name:	jablkpanther12comic.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	8635

Name:	strangetalesbv173comic.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	8636

Name:	capamerica201comic.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	8637

Name:	blkcapmarvelavngcomic.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	8638

Last edited by Dr.Frankenstein; 07-14-2010 at 08:44 PM..
Old 07-15-2010, 10:15 PM
The only black super hero I can think of that I read/watched as a child was Bishop.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Ah yes,early 90's? I remember him.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:07 PM
I'm glad you listed all these ethnic heroes. Also don't forget Black Lightning, though he's DC. And hey what about the hispanic heroes like...um..oh, White Tiger! And ...um...Vibe! Oh wait no, forget Vibe! Hmm, they may need to work on that. Anyway, all kidding aside, your list is a good example of how they can create new original characters that just happen to be ethnic. One of the problems I have in todays comics is all the politically correct retro "ethicifying" that is going on. Taking characters and making them black or hispanic or asian etc. Happens a lot in marvel's Ultimate line, (Nick Fury). I understand wanting to represent society a little more equally, but they should do it by creating new characters. Somebody created Black Panther and Falcon and all those guys. They weren't redone to be more ethnic. As long as they come up with good characters, not like El Dorado from Super friends. Let me say that as a hispanic person, I sure didn't feel like he was "my" super hero,lol. My fav was still Superman.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the comment/response-yea,I gotta confess I'm not up on the current crop of heroes at all...I'm strictly old school-mid 90's at latest...but mainly 1970's era period. The era of the "Bronze Age" the Black heroes and villains were treated on the same level as the white and mutant,alien etc. characters-NO need for the racial sensitivities like we have in modern times. All those characters were written and or handled as equals,period-was great!There was never a need to point out the obvious as if it was a handicap or something? BTW-you say you are Hispanic? One Hispanic Villain (in this case) that comes to mind from the mid 1990's was AJAX!(a member of Pantheon)he a Texan,speaks with a Spanish accent,a character that could rival to great degree the Hulk! awesome armor suit etc he wore-though a bit childish in nature-another is the Awesome Spider-Man 2099! Miguel O'Hara!

Last edited by Dr.Frankenstein; 09-27-2010 at 08:34 PM..
Old 10-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Frankenstein View Post
Thanks for the comment/response-yea,I gotta confess I'm not up on the current crop of heroes at all...I'm strictly old school-mid 90's at latest...but mainly 1970's era period. The era of the "Bronze Age" the Black heroes and villains were treated on the same level as the white and mutant,alien etc. characters-NO need for the racial sensitivities like we have in modern times. All those characters were written and or handled as equals,period-was great!There was never a need to point out the obvious as if it was a handicap or something? BTW-you say you are Hispanic? One Hispanic Villain (in this case) that comes to mind from the mid 1990's was AJAX!(a member of Pantheon)he a Texan,speaks with a Spanish accent,a character that could rival to great degree the Hulk! awesome armor suit etc he wore-though a bit childish in nature-another is the Awesome Spider-Man 2099! Miguel O'Hara!
Oh yeah! I almost forgot about him! I don't have a big Hulk collection but that was when i was collecting the title. It was during his Intelligent phase. And I can't believe I forgot about Spider man 2099! lol! You brought back some memories on that one.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:06 PM
1 additional "Afro-Hero", Monster?! (definitely an heroic Monster!) Marvel Comics ultra cool "The Living Mummy" = 7 1/2 ft. tall African slave N'Kantu. From the pages of "Supernatural Thrillers featuring: The Living Mummy!" circa 1970s

Name:	199px-Living_Mummy_001.gif
Views:	45
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	9104

Name:	235px-Supernatural_Thrillers_9.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	9105

Name:	242px-Supernatural_Thrillers_7.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	9106

Name:	n'kantuslave.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	9107

Last edited by Dr.Frankenstein; 05-30-2011 at 09:13 PM..
Old 06-04-2011, 05:29 PM
One incantation of The Green Lantern, John Stewart, just so happened to be of African descent.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:37 PM
True,though I was sticking to the "Marvel Universe" Afro-International characters-BUT I should have just made the post about either Marvel or D.C.Universe superheroes-Black Lightning & Steel would be 2 more that are of "Afro" origin in the D.C. Universe.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Whoops! That was my bad. As much as I love comics, I'm not too knowledgable when it comes to those of the superhero variety as of yet. I'm catching up now on those, starting with Spiderman and working my way around. I just saw Afro-Superheroes and my mind jumped to the Green Lantern.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:07 PM
ahh 90's... I love