Old 07-15-2010, 11:17 PM
I Write Like

I came upon this site I found rather interesting. Not sure entirely how accurate it is overall, but it's fairly accurate in the sense that it will give you consistent results. I put in script passages, two short stories, an essay, and even JoBlo posts and got David Foster Wallace every time. Now I'm inspired to pick up Infinite Jest.

See what famous author you write like here: http://iwl.me/ and share your results.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:24 PM
My first one...

Who in the hell is Dan Brown?

Last edited by God of War; 07-15-2010 at 11:28 PM..
Old 07-15-2010, 11:28 PM
H.P. Lovecraft.

Odd, but flatteringly inaccurate. I think I'll try some of my non-blog, fiction writing.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
My first one...

Who in the hell is Dan Brown?
The Da Vinci Code
Old 07-15-2010, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Boy View Post
The Da Vinci Code
Seriously? What with all of my typos n shit

Got this one now.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:33 PM
I typed:
"Teh man and teh dog uh ride like funny happy people hahaha and then they blow up, very sad."

I got:

Ray Bradbury. Hmmm.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:36 PM
Ray Bradbury, as in the martian chronicles? And something wicked this ways comes? Daymn. Cool.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:37 PM
I put in three separate examples (two from the same body of work) and got three different authors.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:40 PM
I typed:
"Ray Bradbury, as in the martian chronicles? And something wicked this ways comes? Daymn. Cool."

I got:

James Joyce. Hmmm.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:47 PM
Ok, I entered an H.P. Lovecraft excerpt and got Edgar Allan Poe.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
I typed:
"Teh man and teh dog uh ride like funny happy people hahaha and then they blow up, very sad."

I got:

Ray Bradbury. Hmmm.
Quote:
I typed:
"Ray Bradbury, as in the martian chronicles? And something wicked this ways comes? Daymn. Cool."

I got:

James Joyce. Hmmm.
That's funny, but as it says it needs a decent-sized chunk of writing (at least several paragraphs) to have any degree of accuracy. My guess is that with only a dozen words, it spat out Bradbury because he used very simple and direct prose and Joyce because you've got nonsense words ("Daymn") and unusual punctuation/structure, as that's all it had to go on.

I tried putting in substantially shorter passages than I did last time and now got H.P. Lovecraft and Chuck Palahniuk, then I tried different longer ones and got David Foster Wallace again.

outsyder however has found that either it's not that accurate or his own style doesn't have a uniform consistency. There are also only 40 writers in the database, so enter Milton and you get Shakespeare, enter Ezra Pound and you get Poe. I think it's far from able to even approach real accuracy on that account. I'm very curious how its analyzer program works and wish it had an explanation that came with the result.

Last edited by QUENTIN; 07-15-2010 at 11:53 PM..
Old 07-15-2010, 11:49 PM
Quote:
I typed:

I got:

Ray Bradbury. Hmmm.
lol

I typed up a paragraph from scratch and got Margaret Atwood. I am somewhat put off by this result.

I typed:

I typed up a paragraph from scratch and got Margaret Atwood. I am somewhat put off by this result.

I got Agatha Christie. I am still pretty put off by this result.

I typed:

JFNBEIBFI3W IR3BFG3BG3IRBG LJ3RN GLKJ34BK

I got Neil Gaiman.

Not bad, eh?
Old 07-15-2010, 11:55 PM
See, now I type up a new paragraph, no intended change in style from the first one, and I get Arthur C. Clarke.

Maybe I should actually write a short story and then see what happens.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:56 PM
Quote:
I'm very curious how its analyzer program works and wish it had an explanation that came with the result.

It could be random, but it would be better if there was some kind of measure programmed into it. I have no idea what kind of table they would use... Maybe they have a list of authors sorted by length of words or grammar, like you said, and maybe that's how the game works.
If we can figure out the matrix we can figure out this.

But I know jack bauer about how these programs are written.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:03 AM
Three things I put in got Stephen King, a fourth got David Foster Wallace. 'Kay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsyder View Post
Ok, I entered an H.P. Lovecraft excerpt and got Edgar Allan Poe.
lol

Last edited by Tweek; 07-16-2010 at 12:09 AM..
Old 07-16-2010, 12:12 AM
I typed in: "I am Connor MacLeod of the Clan MacLeod. I was born in 1518 in the village of Glenfinnan on the shores of Loch Shiel. And I am immortal."

And I got this!

Last edited by God of War; 07-16-2010 at 12:16 AM..
Old 07-16-2010, 12:16 AM

Guess that makes me a blowhard!

Thumbs up on getting Lambert! Hopefully somebody gets Jean Claude Van Damme next.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:17 AM
I got William Gibson. Huh. Just when I was meaning to check out his work...
Old 07-16-2010, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Boy View Post
H.P. Lovecraft.

Odd, but flatteringly inaccurate. I think I'll try some of my non-blog, fiction writing.
Yeah, I got him when I posted one of my blog entries concerning university. In Cthulu We Trust.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPuppet View Post
Thumbs up on getting Lambert!
It's fake, dude. I PS'd that banner. If you look closely, the fonts are a different color. The result of a very speedy job on my part. Lol, I had to.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:31 AM

Stephenie Meyer

What a shitty way to end a good day. Thanks a lot QUENTIN.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
It's fake, dude. I PS'd that banner. If you look closely, the fonts are a different color. The result of a very speedy job on my part. Lol, I had to.
I knew. That's why I made the JCVD reference.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:58 AM
I posted a couple pages of various short stories and got:

Anne Rice
Stephen King
David Foster Wallace
JD Salinger
PG Wodehouse(?)
Ian Fleming
Raymond Chandler
Ursula K. Le Guin(???)
Arthur C. Clarke
Anne Rice (again)
James Joyce

I think I am the greatest author of all time.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:07 AM
I write like William Gibson apparently.

Cool.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:09 AM
I'm guessing this measures syntax and word usage. I gotta try this out.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:11 AM
Got David Foster Wallace too. hmmm. interesting, have never read infinite jest either. maybe i should.

well it certainly gives everyone some pep to keep the ink wet, right?
Old 07-16-2010, 02:28 AM
I just put in the first 8 paragraphs of Bartleby the Scrivener and apparently Herman Melville writes like Edgar Allan Poe.

Someone check who this domain is registered to... maybe David Foster Wallace's estate...
Old 07-16-2010, 03:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPuppet View Post

Guess that makes me a blowhard!

Thumbs up on getting Lambert! Hopefully somebody gets Jean Claude Van Damme next.
Looks like we're cut from the same cloth. Oddly enough, I copied and pasted something I wrote on the boxing thread. Even my JoBlo posts are great pieces of literary excellence.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:31 AM
Arthur Conan Doyle

Bitchin'.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:23 AM
David Foster Wallace... he any good?
Old 07-16-2010, 04:37 AM
I posted my Unthinkable review and I got I Write Like Stephen King
Old 07-16-2010, 05:19 AM
In all honesty... I hope I write like me.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:36 AM
Hunter Thompson wrote the first 3 paragraphs of Fear and Loathing in the style of Ian Flemming, and his suicide note in the style of Raymond Chandler.

It turns me that it seems to be overlooking writers like Thompson and Melville, but is suggesting Stephanie Meyers.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:19 AM
I write like Chuck Palahniuk
Old 07-16-2010, 08:46 AM
I entered a pretty lengthy film review I wrote a while ago and got James Joyce. yay!
Old 07-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Who the fuck is David Foster Wallace?
Old 07-16-2010, 09:27 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Foster_Wallace
Old 07-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverload View Post
Stephenie Meyer

What a shitty way to end a good day. Thanks a lot QUENTIN.
Same. Screw you QUENTIN.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Ok, so apparently an excerpt from Tolkien is akin to H.P. Lovecraft, but a poem from The Tolkien Reader is akin to Stephenie Meyer. Nerd rage... Rising...
Old 07-16-2010, 01:53 PM
This is what I wrote:

Quote:
So I slid my throbbing manhood into her soft, delicate, sopping meat wallet. Her kisses gave me the feeling of complete ecstasy and lifeless saturation. Her body, smooth as the finest silken fibers threaded by the masters of their craft, stemming from centuries of perfection. I looked to my left only to realize that the limited edition Winnie the Pooh lamp on the nightstand was still lit. I shut it off, causing the inevitable effect of not seeing the beauty that lie below me. It took a few minutes to adjust accordingly to the darkness, and once it did...the glow on her face shone from the sun-brightened Moon in the sky. The love-making ensued further and further, harder and harder...until she popped. Air escaped her just as quickly as it went in her. Within seemingly seconds, my love was back to as she was not 20 minutes earlier. So, I placed her ever so gently back into the box she came in and put her back into the closet. Don't worry, my dear, duct tape will fix that scar.
My result:

Anne fucking Rice (how do you attach the image in here?)

Last edited by the clever guy; 07-16-2010 at 01:57 PM..