Old 07-16-2010, 02:05 PM
^Right.

This is a pretty good discussion starting:

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?ui...9777&topic=187

Apparently there are 50 writers in the database, and it is incomplete in regards to those writers work, only their most popular; however, the programer claims it will always be limited. For some reason he is being pretty secretively and elusive regarding this kind of stuff, which is pretty silly because just from the concept I was able to figure out how it's done from a non-programing standing point, so obviously someone could create the algorithm pretty easily.

To go with what he's saying though, I figured maybe Barteby was to obscure (???) and punched in the first 5 paragraphs of Moby Dick, which I learn is written in the style of Ursula K. Le Guin (b. 1929)

What "bothers" me is that this is all done in the name of science and everything, yet the author links go directly to Amazon instead of Wikipedia or some other informative source. Least not, the ads for selling works, workshops, etc, etc... "Hey, if your lucky, we WILL publish your short story or poem and publish it in a book you and you alone can buy for an outrageous price!!!!"

It's still a cool project, I won't deny that, but if it were to be done correctly, the author needs to stop playing games (he says not revealing its incompleteness makes it more fun) and allow others to contribute so that the database can provide more accuracy, and actually prove more fun.

But rats to all this. I'm no killjoy. Hell no. I write like Raymond Chandler.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:07 PM
I just want to know how I write like Anne Rice.

The system is flawed.....FLAWED I TELLS YA!
Old 07-16-2010, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaStrangelove View Post
^Right.

This is a pretty good discussion starting:

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?ui...9777&topic=187

Apparently there are 50 writers in the database, and it is incomplete in regards to those writers work, only their most popular; however, the programer claims it will always be limited. For some reason he is being pretty secretively and elusive regarding this kind of stuff, which is pretty silly because just from the concept I was able to figure out how it's done from a non-programing standing point, so obviously someone could create the algorithm pretty easily.

To go with what he's saying though, I figured maybe Barteby was to obscure (???) and punched in the first 5 paragraphs of Moby Dick, which I learn is written in the style of Ursula K. Le Guin (b. 1929)

What "bothers" me is that this is all done in the name of science and everything, yet the author links go directly to Amazon instead of Wikipedia or some other informative source. Least not, the ads for selling works, workshops, etc, etc... "Hey, if your lucky, we WILL publish your short story or poem and publish it in a book you and you alone can buy for an outrageous price!!!!"

It's still a cool project, I won't deny that, but if it were to be done correctly, the author needs to stop playing games (he says not revealing its incompleteness makes it more fun) and allow others to contribute so that the database can provide more accuracy, and actually prove more fun.

But rats to all this. I'm no killjoy. Hell no. I write like Raymond Chandler.
Using ^THIS^ text I get vTHISv result.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:18 PM
I just post my 2 cents on modern rock and it says I write like Stephen King.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:50 PM
I typed in some folksy wisdom followed by some humorous anecdotes and got this...

Last edited by Damone; 07-16-2010 at 03:52 PM..
Old 07-16-2010, 03:55 PM
I guess everyone wants to be Bubba but no one can. There only one Bubbastrangelove and that Bubbastrangelove.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damone View Post
I typed in some folksy wisdom followed by some humorous anecdotes and got this...

lols

Good job Sir.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:27 AM
ain't no jest like a jest from the best...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damone View Post

Maybe I've not been giving that site enough credit.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:56 AM
I write like Stephen King, apparently.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:03 AM
I entered my Toy Story 3 review and got H.P. Lovecraft!

Awesome
Old 07-17-2010, 06:40 PM
'I Write Like' Website Goes Viral, Authors Bewildered

JAKE COYLE | 07/16/10 05:56 PM | AP

NEW YORK — For anyone who has ever thought Charles Dickens was lurking inside his or her prose, a new website claims it can find your inner author.

The recently launched I Write Like has one simple gimmick: You paste a few paragraphs that exemplify your writing, then click "analyze" and – poof! – you get a badge telling you that you write like Stephen King or Ernest Hemingway or Chuck Palahniuk.

The site's traffic has soared in recent days and its arrival has lit up the blogosphere. Gawker tried a transcript from one of the leaked Mel Gibson phone calls. The suggested author: Margaret Atwood.

The New Yorker found that an invitation to a birthday party was James Joycean. Many others were aghast to discover they wrote similarly to "The Da Vinci Code" scribe Dan Brown.

The New York Times tried putting in actual novels, such as "Moby-Dick." Herman Melville, it turns out, writes less like himself than King, according to I Write Like.

Atwood, herself, tried the site only to discover she also apparently writes like King. "Who knew?" she tweeted.

Obviously, I Write Like isn't an exact science. But simply the idea of an algorithm that can reveal traces of influence in writing has proven wildly popular.

Though the site might seem the idle dalliance of an English professor on summer break, it was created by Dmitry Chestnykh, a 27-year-old Russian software programmer currently living in Montenegro. Though he speaks English reasonably well, it's his second language.

"I wanted it to be an educational thing and also to help people write better," he said.

Chestnykh modeled the site on software for e-mail spam filters. This means that the site's text analysis is largely keyword based. Even if you write in short, declarative, Hemingwayesque sentences, its your word choice that may determine your comparison.

Most writers will tell you, though, that the most telling signs of influence come from punctuation, rhythm and structure. I Write Like does account for some elements of style by things such as number of words per sentence.

Chestnykh has uploaded works by about 50 authors – three books for each, he said. That, too, explains some of its shortcomings. Melville, for example, isn't in the system.

But Chestnykh never expected the sudden success of the site and he plans to improve its accuracy by including more books and adding a probability percentage for each result. He hopes it can eventually be profitable.

"I think that people really like to know how they write, even if it's not accurate results," said Chestnykh. "Still it's fun for them."

It's easy to find a laugh. Obama's Oval Office speech in June? David Foster Wallace. Lady Gaga's lyrics to "Alejandro"? William Shakespeare.

Whatever the deficiencies of I Write Like, it does exude a love of writing and its many techniques. The site's blog updates with inspiring quotations from writers, and Chestnykh – whose company, Coding Robots, is also working on blog editing and diary writing software – shows a love of literature. He counts Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Agatha Christie among his favorites.

"I had a typewriter when I was 6 years old," he said. "But I'm not a published writer and I don't think I write very good."

Link
Old 07-17-2010, 06:59 PM
I just posted the entire "most universal like thing" thread and it says I write like Arthur C Clarke.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:23 AM
I pasted the first chapter of my novel. The website claims I write like Ray Bradbury, which though an honor, is a lie. I pasted a short story and it considered me as Edgar Allan Poe. My college-entry essay is similar to that of H.P Lovecraft.

Hm....

Last edited by Luumu; 07-18-2010 at 12:25 AM..
Old 07-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
The New York Times tried putting in actual novels, such as "Moby-Dick." Herman Melville, it turns out, writes less like himself than King, according to I Write Like.

I can't believe the program doesn't even account for syntax.

Chestnykh modeled the site on software for e-mail spam filters. This means that the site's text analysis is largely keyword based. Even if you write in short, declarative, Hemingwayesque sentences, its your word choice that may determine your comparison.

Most writers will tell you, though, that the most telling signs of influence come from punctuation, rhythm and structure. I Write Like does account for some elements of style by things such as number of words per sentence.

Chestnykh has uploaded works by about 50 authors – three books for each, he said. That, too, explains some of its shortcomings. Melville, for example, isn't in the system.

He hopes it can eventually be profitable.

This^ sounds like folk wisdom disguised as a genuine attempt to shed light on something that isn't fully understood!!!!!

I'm surprised that it doesn't even account for syntax!

I think the designer is full of shit when he's saying he designed it to be educational because everything he says leads to say that he designed it to be similar to stuff like "What decade am I?" or "Which Golden Girl am I?"

I'm a reckon [/folk term] that he is only saying this to enamor more people to the site, and beyond that to take his "suggestions" of work shops or books that they write in the style of seriously.

Of course, I never underestimate the weirdness of what people will take seriously.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John@$$ View Post
I just posted the entire "most universal like thing" thread and it says I write like Arthur C Clarke.
I'm surprised it didn't come up as Ayn Rand.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:00 AM
So I put in the first 9 pages of a short story I'm writing and it said I write like Cory Doctorow.

I never heard of this guy. Is he any good?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Hehehe, very clever!
Old 07-19-2010, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Lol good one. What a clever statement. Ayn Rand is dead hahahahaha

Last edited by John@$$; 07-19-2010 at 07:27 AM..
Old 07-19-2010, 09:59 AM
@$$ isn't Progmatic Galtbeck. I'd be the first to try to nip it in the bud if he was, but he really isn't, so I'm not sure people should keep bringing it up. I don't want this thread to get closed down too.

As for IWL, well, it may not be a total joke, but it's far less accurate than I was giving it even limited credit for, so meh.

It's a good idea though, maybe someone with a better program can improve on it.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post
@$$ isn't Progmatic Galtbeck. I'd be the first to try to nip it in the bud if he was, but he really isn't, so I'm not sure people should keep bringing it up. I don't want this thread to get closed down too.

As for IWL, well, it may not be a total joke, but it's far less accurate than I was giving it even limited credit for, so meh.

It's a good idea though, maybe someone with a better program can improve on it.
Thanks QUENTIN for saying i'm not Progmatic Galtbeck. Good thing or else this thread would be lock.

I think they should have more writers in the program. It still a cool idea but needs more work on it.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:46 AM
I typed up something again and got James Joyce.

Interesting.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:02 PM
I got Stephen King. Not what I expected, but okay.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:51 PM
I posted multiple paragraphs from a book I'm attempting and got Douglas Adams, Chuck Palahniuk and Stephen King a couple of times. *smug smile*
Old 09-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Old 09-18-2010, 09:09 AM
I got Chuck Pahlaniuk.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Chuck Pahlaniuk and then Cory Doctorow. No idea who the last guy is.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:12 PM
H.P. Lovecraft!
Sweet.
Cththulu would be proud.
Though you could never see that on its face.
Face...tentacles...it's all good.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicochetShaw View Post

THat's messed up.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:55 PM
http://iwl.me/b/31398c21

Well l did the test

Here are my results
Old 09-22-2010, 12:56 PM
the idea that anyone here writes like david foster wallace is so funny it would have singlehandledly prevented david foster wallace from committing suicide because it woulda cured his depression