Old 07-21-2010, 08:33 AM
Best Movie for a Sunday Matinee

Something you saw, that you really either knew nothing about or thought you wouldn't like, but had nothing better to do on a Sunday, saw it on a cheap and now wonder what took you so long to see it.

Frailty (2001)
Didn't even know what it was about. My girlfriend at the time, just wanted to get out of the house and do something. It had Paxton, Boothe, McConaughey... we figured how bad could it really be? I love that movie, even own in it on DVD.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:00 PM
My wife (girlfriend at the time) and I went to get free passes from a friend of ours who worked at the theater. Which actually meant, he was organizing with some co-workers to sneak us into whichever movie happened to be playing at the time we got there. She wasn't too thrilled about that....

Anyway we got into the Ring, which I hadn't heard of. I knew it was a horror flick and most likely a teen slasher, judging by the opening scene. I was wrong. It freaked me out and I had to unplug the TV in my room for a couple nights.

One of my all time horror favs.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:45 PM

Actually there's a movie called Matinee, and I think it's the perfect sittin-on-yo-ass sunday afternoon
Old 09-07-2011, 11:28 AM
The Rocketeer
Old 09-07-2011, 12:05 PM
U N D E R T O W

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBoy1976 View Post
Something you saw, that you really either knew nothing about or thought you wouldn't like, but had nothing better to do on a Sunday, saw it on a cheap and now wonder what took you so long to see it.

Frailty (2001)
Didn't even know what it was about. My girlfriend at the time, just wanted to get out of the house and do something. It had Paxton, Boothe, McConaughey... we figured how bad could it really be? I love that movie, even own in it on DVD.
I recently revisited FRAILTY (I've owned the DVD since its release) & it still holds up 10 years later! Love that movie!

Another similar thriller with that old school vibe but more of a surreal thriller in the same vein as the classic NIGHT OF THE HUNTER than outright horror is UNDERTOW, starring Dermot Mulroney & Josh Lucas as rival white trash Southern-fried brothers fighting over their deceased father's hidden/M.I.A. antique coin collection...but the real revelations & stars of this terrific film directed by David Gordon Green are the two young actors who portray Mulroney's sons: Jamie Bell & Devon Alan (both deserving of Oscar noms!). Plus, there's Kristen Stewart & Shiri Appleby in small roles as Jamie's former & future girlfriends...both proving their acting mettle far beyond what we've seen in the Twilight films or the TV series Life Unexpected!