Old 07-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Hoarding

Hey all, I just started watching the first season of "Hoarders" today, after hearing about how fascinating of a show it is, and after watching just one episode, I fully agree. I was disgusted, I was shocked, I was speechless at times, after just one episode!

I was going to start this topic in the TV section, since its a TV show, but Hoarding is a real thing and thought it would be better to discuss it here. Is anyone out there a hoarder? If so, why are you like that, and how did you get that way?

My grandpa, on my dads side, was a hoarder. He just had a lot of junk in his house, but it was mainly due to his health. He was diabetic and had a hard time getting around, and so stuff pretty much just piled up and sat where it was. His house was nowhere near as bad as what I have seen on this show, but looking back to when I would go there as a kid and remembering things....it was pretty bad.

His basement was unaccessible because he would just throw stuff down the stairs. He lived alone for years after my grandma died in 1994 and that just made it worse. They had a 2 bedroom house and after awhile the second bedroom just became like the basement. He frequently shopped at a store that sold damaged goods for a much lower price, which always boggled my mind and my fathers, because my grandpa was a legitimate millionaire when he died. He had the money to buy good, quality, stuff, and he wouldn't. And his kitchen cabinets and counters were completely cluttered with food that should not have been bought in the first place.

When he was forced to move into a nursing home, me, my half brother, my dad and my uncle were forced to clean the house out. It took us days. Multiple days of working non-stop. We set aside one area of the house as a "keep" area and the rest of the stuff was thrown in garbage bags and trash cans and thrown in a dumpster outside, or, thrown on a fire pit we set up that burned non-stop the entire time we worked, thanks to it constantly being fed with new stuff. By the time we were done, we just simply couldn't believe it. Because of the hoarding, the carpeting and flooring and walls and all of that stuff were just pretty much destroyed.

Shortly after we did all of this, my grandpa took a turn for the worse and was admitted to a hospital where he soon died. It was in his will to auction off the house and whatever items were sell-able and the money was to be split between my father and uncle. Due to hospital bills and his multi-year stay in the nursing home, most of his million dollars he'd built up, was spent and my dad and uncle relied solely on the sale of the house and items as what their inheritance would be. And when the time came, the house sold for much, MUCH less than it should have, thanks to the mess from him being a hoarder that was non-reversible. Because of it, my father and uncle came away with a lot less inheritance than they should have, all because my grandpa was a hoarder.

The person who bought the house promptly tore it down, filled the basement in, bulldozed the yard, then bought the house next door from the old man who lived there that was moving to a nursing home himself, and combined the properties. So now, if we drive by there, its like my grandpa's house was simply never there. If he hadn't been a hoarder, the house would have been in great shape and would most likely exist to this day.

So, I've seen firsthand what hoarding can do to people and their families, as it affected mine quite a bit. My parents and I are the exact opposite: we have a very clean house, not a ton of stuff, and what we do have its organized majorly. In fact, I go through often and reorganize stuff, even if it doesn't need it. I'm like the exact opposite of a hoarder.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:52 PM
My grandfather had this problem. It stemmed back to the great depression. At that time when nobody had shit, so he took it up on himself to fill his house and several sea/train storage containers with worthless crap. When he died it was quite the fucking mess to clean up. About 95% of it was thrown out.

I have seen the show you're referencing a few times and it seems that the majority of people on that show had little to grow up with and feel more secure buying shit. Using it as some kind of security blanket with all their stuff. Seems like that's the case with hoarders in general.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:45 PM
My boyfriend is a hoarder to a manageable extent. It drives me mad but I do try to be understanding.

We have no storage space in our current house. The loft/attic is 'off limits' and the space underneath the stairs is occupied by outdoorsy stuff like a bicycle, pram etc...so we have around 4 or 5 large cardboard boxes full of nonsense in our dining room...and around 6-8 boxes in the bedroom.

He has piles of clothes from when he was a teenager and 2 large boxes (which is literally dozens upon dozens) of handmade toys he has made over the years (like this...and this). I would hate for him to part with them but I would rather they were displayed around the house instead of sitting in boxes and possibly becoming moth-eaten and rotten.

He keeps notes and random pieces of nonsense and if he forgets which pile something is in it can induce a small panic attack...no kidding. He has ridiculous amounts of clothes, CD's, trinkets, hats and shoes.

What is probably a little different about him is that he is meticulous about the condition certain items are kept in. He can't stand if things become dirty or a possession becomes crinkled or stained. He has items that are decades old and look like new.

Anyway, it's nowhere near the extent that you are talking about with you and your Grandpa Jackson...I mean, my geez hoards but he's also a little OCD about cleanliness (particularly his person) and food hygiene and all that. He is not even remotely neat and tidy though...and I like to be neat and tidy so this is a bit of a pain for me. But yeah...although it's different degree's I understand where you are coming from.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:59 PM
My attic is the most exciting place I know. It has toys, magazines, books, films, clothes, and "the box o' memories", which is personal items that are especially significant and have dates and little notes attached so that our daughter can go through them when she is older.

My favourite box, though, is full of clothing that I have retired but kept due to the fact that I believe they will be worth something or will be funky in a decade or so. This is mainly Adidas Original items, but there are also several watches that are in perfect working order. I will either use them when they have acquired "cult" status, or my daughter will inherit them.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:42 PM
we must end our dependency on "stuff"
having food and reproductive capabilities should be enough!
Old 07-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixedMind View Post
I want to be louder than Ritalin for all the children who think that they've got a disease!
Old 07-24-2010, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reigh Kaufman View Post
I want to be louder than Ritalin for all the children who think that they've got a disease!
You cant get the pink eye without a bit of shit
Old 07-24-2010, 08:23 PM
Quote:
You cant get the pink eye without a bit of shit
Everybody move your feet and be united!
Old 07-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Quote:

Yeah we aren't cavemen.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdraven View Post
Yeah we aren't cavemen.

I dont think it can be clearly understood what we are, other than transitory. Obviously we arent cavemen...we are currently living the life of consumermen/women. Rot spreads outward from the core.

Last edited by fixedMind; 07-25-2010 at 02:12 AM..
Old 07-25-2010, 11:44 AM
My grandmother is a hoarder. I definitely agree that it comes along with growing up in the great depression. To her, you couldn't convince her that money means shit. She needs physical things. She probably has 30 thousand dollars in clothes in her house just all over the place. The worst part is she doesn't even wear them since she can't get out of the house. But some deep psychological thing just makes her keep ordering and ordering more clothes.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
But some deep psychological thing just makes her keep ordering and ordering more clothes.
Its always a psychological thing. One lady on the very first episode said she had a bad time with poverty once and went day to day not knowing if she would have anything to eat, and so once she finally got money and out of poverty, she started hoarding food like crazy, which lead to hoarding other things and her house just going to total shit. And the food she hoarded went bad real quick, so she was living in filth from rotting food but she still couldnt throw it out.....ugh.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Yeah we aren't cavemen.

Cavemen had stuff. I mean, my dad kept a stick he found with us when we were kids that looked like a person.

Myself, I don't keep track of anything other than my laptop. Everything else I toss or lose or donate or glue together into a giant meshwire godzilla replica I hope will one day be to scale.
I'm either a very present-minded person or a very absentminded person.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:22 PM
I like stuff, i don't think i will ever stop buying things, i don't think i can ever have enough stuff.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloneofkelso View Post
I like stuff, i don't think i will ever stop buying things, i don't think i can ever have enough stuff.
WWTDD?
Old 07-25-2010, 03:50 PM
My uncle was so mentally ill he was discharged from the Navy in WWII, when they would take anyone. He died earlier this year. He had boxes up to the ceiling full of nothing but 50-year-old keys. He had thirty-year-old newspaper stacks similarly high that he used to "check for stocks". Chlorox bottles filled with colostomy bags riddled the floors. The house smelled like stale shit. Dude never worked an honest day in his life, but was worth a solid $400,000 from his manipulation of the government tit and especially his stocks (he has Microsoft stocks dating back from the 80s, nice work, I have to say).

Me and my dad are packrats and perhaps have hoarding tendencies, but we're relatively clean.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:21 AM
When I first heard about this show, I thought it would be about people like me: guys who just have a lot of stuff. But it's just a bunch of slobs who live in heaps of trash.

I do have a lot of stuff (I collect lots of different things), and consider myself a bit of a pack rat, but my house is not a mess. My shit is organized. If I had a bigger place, you wouldn't even notice.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:31 AM
Not to disparage anyone's relatives that were mentioned in this thread, but i do agree with BBird, i think there needs to be a distinction between someone who simply enjoys collecting things that they feel have some sort of nostalgic, intrinsic, or practical value and people who are genuine slobs and allow themselves to live in utter filth which is a health hazard to them and their neighbors.

I wouldn't refer to someone as a hoarder if they pile up dirty dishes in their sink and leave it that way for years or spread random objects, clothes and whatever, all over to the point they can't properly navigate the place or even leave their house, that's psychotic, not hoarding.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamorte dellamore View Post
Not to disparage anyone's relatives that were mentioned in this thread, but i do agree with BBird, i think there needs to be a distinction between someone who simply enjoys collecting things that they feel have some sort of nostalgic, intrinsic, or practical value and people who are genuine slobs and allow themselves to live in utter filth which is a health hazard to them and their neighbors.

I wouldn't refer to someone as a hoarder if they pile up dirty dishes in their sink and leave it that way for years or spread random objects, clothes and whatever, all over to the point they can't properly navigate the place or even leave their house, that's psychotic, not hoarding.

I would say hoarding is a symptom of said "psychotic" mindstate.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:23 PM
If you looked long enough you could probably find Jimmy Hoffa in these mountain piles of shit people have.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Quote:
I agree with this. Can't take it with you to your grave!
Old 06-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Well in Australia we have our hoarders too

i cant beleive how much they collect and the stink or the volume of room they hoard there stuff in

There is help for these people but as soon as they get rid of the rubbish they colect again

But if they are given guidence they can stop the habit
Old 06-30-2012, 05:42 PM
The one with the cats is the worst.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:44 AM
I believe that there are honestly people with a physiological condition that makes them not be able to throw anything away or stop accumulating things (which probably has a lot to do with being poor at some point in their lives) and people who are clinically depressed who can't manage to clean up their surroundings. Those people have my pity and need help.

Some others, however, are just lazy and could care less about what conditions they live in, and only call themselves "hoarders" so that someone will come and clean their shit up for them.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:27 PM
I forgot I started this thread but I'm glad I did because I have an update.

I've been dating a girl for 3 months now and her parents are the biggest hoarders/packrats I have ever seen.

She is like me, where her room is clean and organized and everything is normal.

But the rest of their house is a mess.

They live out in the country and have 2 barns on their property that are packed to the brim with junk as well. You can't even walk in them!

As soon as you walk in their house you are greeted by a room full of crap, only to enter another equally filled room, before you get to the kitchen, which is not so much a kitchen but a room full of junk. Like laundry in piles on the floor, weeks worth of newspapers piled on the table, recently purchased items from you name it still in the bags from the store just sitting on the floor.....

We spend most of our time in her room, where there is semblance of order, but when we aren't we spend it in her living room watching tv/movies, where you have approximately 3 feet of space to move in and that is it. In that room alone there are 3 coffee tables shoved off to the side, piled up with junk, 2 couches completely buried by god-knows-what and 3 TV cabinets that don't contain TV's, just stuff piled up in them held shut by stuff piled up in front of them.

She's told me on multiple occasions that every time she attempts to clean, which is a challenge itself due to never knowing really where to start, almost as soon as she makes progress one of her parents stops her and distracts her and then it just never gets done.

It's really been eye opening to see firsthand just what people can be like and how they live. If I knew it wouldn't rip the family apart (trust me, it would with how they behave towards one another) I'd contact TLC and ask the show to go to their house and help them out.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:55 PM
geez it would have been a sight to see a husband and wife hoarding there stuff

Most of the time you see hoarder on tv and the look on the faces when they have to get rid of there stuff it heartbreaking

But you can not live life like this if it causes the place to stik aor you have people living next door

It is good your girlfreinds parents live a country life than in the city

maybe her father can build a shed of some type and pile some things in there
Old 07-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson13 View Post
I forgot I started this thread but I'm glad I did because I have an update.

I've been dating a girl for 3 months now and her parents are the biggest hoarders/packrats I have ever seen.

She is like me, where her room is clean and organized and everything is normal.

But the rest of their house is a mess.

They live out in the country and have 2 barns on their property that are packed to the brim with junk as well. You can't even walk in them!

As soon as you walk in their house you are greeted by a room full of crap, only to enter another equally filled room, before you get to the kitchen, which is not so much a kitchen but a room full of junk. Like laundry in piles on the floor, weeks worth of newspapers piled on the table, recently purchased items from you name it still in the bags from the store just sitting on the floor.....

We spend most of our time in her room, where there is semblance of order, but when we aren't we spend it in her living room watching tv/movies, where you have approximately 3 feet of space to move in and that is it. In that room alone there are 3 coffee tables shoved off to the side, piled up with junk, 2 couches completely buried by god-knows-what and 3 TV cabinets that don't contain TV's, just stuff piled up in them held shut by stuff piled up in front of them.

She's told me on multiple occasions that every time she attempts to clean, which is a challenge itself due to never knowing really where to start, almost as soon as she makes progress one of her parents stops her and distracts her and then it just never gets done.

It's really been eye opening to see firsthand just what people can be like and how they live. If I knew it wouldn't rip the family apart (trust me, it would with how they behave towards one another) I'd contact TLC and ask the show to go to their house and help them out.
She needs to wait for them to leave and go out of town. Then she can bag a bunch of the shit up and make multiple trips to the dump or goodwill.

At least she isn't embarrassed to bring you back to her house.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Do you know that there is a series called American Pickers

These blokes go all over america to buy things people hoard and they sell them also

Some of there find ahve been intieresting