Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Books/Comics
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2010, 11:09 AM
Do You Own A Kindle? Pros & Cons to Persuade Me

I went on Amazon.com today where they are introducing a new, third generation Kindle. They have a Wi-Fi+3G for 189$ and a wi-fi only for 139$.

When it first came out I thought it was a great invention for books and readers alike, and greatly appreciated it always contemplating the idea of owning one. The price is what kept me away though, my magic price being closely surrounding 150$. Then the iPad came out, and I felt it in many ways, the Kindle because redundant.

I ask the question to Kindle readers; Is the 'lower' tech Kindle compared to the 'high' tech iPad worth the coin? For me the top debates would be around the black & white e-ink screen versus the color led for reading, and things like total functionality including subjects such as internet connection and games. Is the reading experience smooth or painful after time? Also if I do get a Kindle, which would be the better choice: Wi-Fi+3G or W-Fi Only?
Old 07-31-2010, 12:09 PM
I don't. My biggest reason is when I buy books I am adding them to my collection. Nothing will ever compare to having the physical copy of the book. I love the feel and smell of a new book. I love seeing my huge library.

I also love book covers, which I feel like are a lost art in the past 10 years.

Besides, with books you don't ever really have to worry about things like scratching the screen, dropping them, getting them wet and having to replace a 150 dollar piece of electronic.

Another huge decider for me is the fact that the price for buying an electronic copy is still way too high. I don't understand why I am paying only a dollar less to read new copies of books, when there is like zero cost on their end to give it to me.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:36 AM
Owning a Kindle - or any e-reader - depends on your needs and wants.

I love my Kindle, for several reasons.
People complain about looking at a "computer screen" all day while reading - a Kindle (and many other e-readers) are NOT an electronic screen. It's basically an etch-a-sketch and reads much like the page of a book. There's no eye-strain from it like many who have a problem looking at an electronic screen.
This is partly why it's not in color.

The point of a Kindle is for BOOK READING, not to get full-color representations of magazines, web-pages and the like.

The Pros:

- I move around a hell of a lot. I barely spend more than a year in one place, and I used to own hundreds of books. Books take up a lot of space, and weigh a lot. Now that I have to pay for my own moving costs, I prefer not to have to pack up 10 boxes of books and add several hundred pounds to my shipping costs. I also live alone in smaller apartments, and so managing that space becomes more of a hassle when there are tons of books to deal with. I also usually leave my furniture (shelves, etc...) behind on each move, so I don't want to have to pack up huge bookshelves and re-organize my books when I move to a new location. Or buy new shelves.

The Kindle is great because I have most of my favorite books available without the hassle of packing, etc...

- I like that any unlicensed books are free.

- Kindle books are cheaper to purchase than the hardcover version if that's all that can be purchased at the time.

- When reading from the Kindle, I forget about it being an electronic reading device and can enjoy the story just as much as if I'm reading from a book.

- I travel a lot. I love to read when on travel. With my Kindle, I have access to dozens and dozens of books. I used to bring four or five books with me on a trip and it would be a bitch to pack when you're trying to travel light. If it was a long trip, I'd probably acquire two or three more books by the time I get back. It's a pain in the ass.

- I don't have to worry about misplacing books and/or rebuying them.
I remember buying a few books several times. I lost a few, or lent them out and never got them back. I like to re-read the good ones, but a few years might go by and then I realize that I got rid of a title and end up re-purchasing it (usually used).

- The Kindle App rocks if you own a Kindle and an iPhone. When waiting somewhere, or sitting alone in a movie theater, I can do quick reading sessions on my iPhone and don't even have to lug around the Kindle. It also syncs to wherever you left off between devices.

The Cons:

- It isn't as satisfying as having a real book in your hands.
I love the smell of a book. It's comforting to see your progress after a long session of reading. I like how each book gradually gain its' own nicks and dog-ears after extended use, and they end up with their own personality. It can also bring back memories of where I was at when reading it, or when a particular "wound" was created.

- Without an organized Table of Contents (ToC), FUCK short story books and/or compilations.
I have the Complete Works of Shakespeare and am thankful that I can go to any play/sonnet I want from the ToC screen. I know some versions out there aren't like that. I paid 99 cents for this copy.
I read JUST AFTER SUNSET and didn't enjoy not being able to skip to any short story in the book. I bookmarked each story as I read it, so I can skip to them NOW. This kind of goes with the next con...

- You can't find particular passages you might like that quickly.
You can always make bookmarks and place down to the word a passage that you enjoy. I find that many times something is more interesting in retrospect based on what I read later. It's always easy to flip through the pages and find something you want to recall.

- It's a bitch if there are appendices.
Take for example DUNE. I've read that four times already and know most of the terms in the back of the book by heart. However, if you HAVEN'T read it before I could only imagine the hassle that would go with trying to find the definition to phrases in the "back" of the book and then going back to where you were last reading; back and forth, back and forth. Fuck that shit, man.

- Some times text is fucked up in a badly QC'd scan/reproduction.
With so many books being electronically scanned and put into e-book form, letters are bound to get mixed up and words turn into nonsense. Granted, this doesn't happen often. The worst case I've come across was with GAI-JIN by James Clavell. I doubt anyone read the 1100 page book all the way through and even attempted to fix scanning errors. When a word should say "Put the Cord on the Floor", it might come out as "Bvt the coPd on the Aoor". It has never been THAT bad; I'm just posting an extreme example of what might happen. I say about once or twice within a 15 page span a couple words will be off. Only a couple times did I have a hard time knowing what the actual word was supposed to be. It still pissed me off, though.
Out of the 15-20 books I've completely read from the Kindle, I say only three have been a irritating because of this. I read UNDER THE DOME and only remember about two or three of these errors. Most have zero errors. But this is a con.

I hear that Amazon works to update books that have these issues.

- You can't lend your book to other people to read.
It's stuck in your Kindle.

- The Kindle is a terrible stair-stepper.
I tried doing aerobics and thought I'd get a good workout jumping up and down on a fat stack of books. It didn't do much more than if I was just taking a step forward and back, with NO books in front of me.

- Want to reach those high places?
I once had to get a pot out from a high shelf that was pushed way in the back. I stepped on my Kindle in hopes of having more height to get to it; but it failed me. I had to get a few books to stand on instead.

Last edited by KcMsterpce; 08-02-2010 at 02:42 AM..
Old 08-02-2010, 05:42 PM
I can attest that moving is a serious pain in the ass when you own lots of books. Books are heavy as hell.

The flip side to that is once you are settled in, a huge library of books can be a great addition to your bachelor pad.

The Kindle would also be a great way to read books you would otherwise be ashamed of reading in public. A girl I brought home once did make fun of me for having so many books with the word "dragon" in the title. I've never read any romance books, but if I did I sure as hell wouldn't want anyone knowing about it.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
I can attest that moving is a serious pain in the ass when you own lots of books. Books are heavy as hell.

The flip side to that is once you are settled in, a huge library of books can be a great addition to your bachelor pad.
This is true. I wish I didn't have to move so much - and that I lived in bigger places - so I could have kept the boxes and boxes and boxes of books I once owned. It would make some people impressed, I think.
These days, I keep 4 boxes full of language books. I went to a professional language university - twice - for Vietnamese and Mandarin, and I kept most of the books they provided. This is about one 100 page book every month or two (in a 1 year and 1.5 year course). Then, I have like 2 dictionaries for those languages, as well as reading materials and dictionaries for Japanese (went to college for that shit, too), Russian, Spanish, German, Korean, Indonesian and a couple other languages...
Do I look at them all that often? No, but I don't want to lose them because I DO like to have reference materials.
Those four boxes alone are a huge pain in my ass. hahaha
Old 08-19-2010, 01:55 AM
Quote:
I don't. My biggest reason is when I buy books I am adding them to my collection. Nothing will ever compare to having the physical copy of the book. I love the feel and smell of a new book. I love seeing my huge library.

Besides, with books you don't ever really have to worry about things like scratching the screen, dropping them, getting them wet and having to replace a 150 dollar piece of electronic.

Another huge decider for me is the fact that the price for buying an electronic copy is still way too high. I don't understand why I am paying only a dollar less to read new copies of books, when there is like zero cost on their end to give it to me.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:

Amen. This post nearly brought a tear to my eye. I too love having an actual book instead of reading it on some electronic device.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:12 PM
I don't own a kindle but I hope you'll tolerate my short two cents on the matter. As an avid book reader and collector, I agree with Jolaner. There's nothing like the feel of a book and seeing them on your shelf. But KcMstrpce makes some good points too. I see the kindle as a good thing to have if you do a lot of traveling. Then it's convenient to have something compact where you can store and read your books. But otherwise when you can get hard cover books at the bargain section for $5.99, then I don't see the point of spending on a new toy for reading.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by graynold65 View Post
I don't own a kindle but I hope you'll tolerate my short two cents on the matter. As an avid book reader and collector, I agree with Jolaner. There's nothing like the feel of a book and seeing them on your shelf.
Yeah, I agree, too. I have not been saying otherwise (and you pointed out that I haven't been saying otherwise, thank ya).
The first time I had to give away/sell my first batch of collected books, it was painful. I was selective. By the third or fourth move in 4 years, it got a little easier.
By the time I was out of the military and paying for moves overseas out of my own pocket, every pound started to count. I would also live in very small places that could barely fit half my stuff WITHOUT books. By then, having my massive books collection as trophies was no longer feasible.

Therefore, I love my Kindle 'cause it holds shitloads of books and saves weight and space.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:55 PM
Lately I have actually been leaning more and more towards buying a Kindle, despite my previous arguments. If I did buy a Kindle I think I would go completely digital. Looking at all these books that I own I can't help but wonder how few of them I will ever touch again.

The thought of going completely digital, buying a Kindle, then donating all of my books to charity is becoming more and more appealing.

Also, my last argument about book prices is no longer true. E books are now usually significantly lower than regular books. The Kindle will basically pay for itself in a couple of years. I think if I did buy it, I would keep track of all the books that I buy and the extra dollars I save buy buying the E version and then once I hit the cost of the Kindle it will just be an extra weight off my shoulder as it will essentially be free at that point.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:37 PM
After some hesitation I bought a Kindle a month or so back and while it will never replace holding/reading/having actual books, for sheer convenience it can't be beaten. Every book is in the one place, no digging through boxes trying to find what I want to read next, it's easy to use/read and when it comes to the larger books I don't have to worry about size/weight when reading/carrying them.

The only real negative I've come across that's annoyed me isn't with the actual Kindle but the e-books, as has been previously mentioned the OCR process is flawed and the conversions clearly haven't been proofed, I'm currently reading The Shining and some of the errors have really taken me out of the story.

Despite that rather serious issue I'm very happy that I took the chance and got one, I've read a considerable amount more since it arrived than I had in the last 6 months and that alone made it a worthwhile purchase.

Last edited by Cronos; 03-30-2011 at 09:42 PM..
Old 03-30-2011, 11:02 PM
Quote:
same
Old 05-25-2011, 10:00 AM
One of the few annoyances I've had with the actual Kindle is the setting up of collections (I like to organize everything into folders by author or subject) and I foolishly forgot that it screws them up if you move the files around on the actual device :/.

Went on the search for something that would help with this and came across "Kindle Collection Manager", thought I'd mention it here as it's saved me a load of time (that can now go to reading ) mucking around creating collections and adding e-books to them. Small program that connects to the kindle and allows you to arrange the books on the device into collections. Only took a few minutes to put everything into collections which would normally take a hell of a lot longer.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94261
Old 05-25-2011, 12:09 PM
late post, but oh well... I got one about six months ago and have only recently begun using it. I am on a cutting phase right now (amateur bodybuilder) and I'm doing a lot of low stress cardio so while I'm sitting on the bike or elliptical it is fantastic to have. It was impossible to do anything like that with a regular book, but the kindle has made that possible. I don't use it much beyond that and traveling, but it has its niche and for the price it's a great buy.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:55 PM
I tried one out for a while but ended up returning it. For all the hoopla about how great the screen is, to me it was still painfully obvious I was reading off a screen. I stare at a computer screen 8 hours a day for work, then come home and play games on a comp. I really didn't need another screen for entertainment.

The real thing that convinced me to return it however was that the e-books just simply aren't cheaper than regular books. In fact in a lot of cases with older books the paper book is in fact cheaper than the e book. I read this is because Amazon can set their own prices on paper books but have no control over e book prices.

The pros simply did not outweigh the cons. Plus the 130 bucks.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:59 PM
The biggest Pro is the availability of the unheard of works of so many independent authors out there. It's really astonishing how many there are. Oh, oh, and one of them happens to be me! So you can read my shit! It also saves a TON of paper, when you step back and think about it, so environmentally it's nothing short of a miracle. Speaking of indie authors, there are plenty of free, or very cheap, books that you can pick up. And it'll save you the awkwardness and cash associated with picking up your favorite erotica in print.

The cons is that you don't have that magical experience of walking into a bookstore, or that romantic feeling of connecting with a book as you read it and picking it up throughout the years. Of course, owning a Kindle doesn't stop you from going out and buying a physical copy. I'm just a materialistic bastard.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:17 PM
Quote:

agreed