Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2010, 11:08 AM
There hasn't been a decent shark movie in 11 years!

Having recently rewatched the flawed yet fun Deep Blue Sea and with the recent Shark Week airing, I've realized that there really hasn't been a shark movie worth watching since DBS. This could be more of a rant against Steve Altman's MEG still not being greenlit, but I feel like there are so many possibilites for creative shark films that DO NOT need to be DTV/shoddily done. What's the deal? I'd love to see a new summer "shark attack" film that may have elements of Jaws yet go in its own unique direction (maybe with a mammoth shark or a entirely different location.)
Old 08-06-2010, 12:42 PM
I dunno, this one is probably pretty good...

But really i think it's just to the point that it's a very easily aviodable situtation, just don't go into the ocean. Unless it's some sort of deep sea reseach facility like Deep Blue Sea i can't see there being any real situations where you're gonna come across a crazy killer shark.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Not just sharks- there hasn't been an underwater monster movie in awhile.

I think its hard for that sub genre (ha!) to do anything different than what Jaws already did. The water isn't our environment. There's not a lot of options for us underwater. On land we can escape into buildings and bodies. We can run and jump and duck and roll. We have dozens of everyday situations we can turn into peril, and dozens more improvised levels, hidey holes, weapons...
But underwater is underwater. We just kind of float around. The variety is hard to find.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:12 PM
True, I suppose the "just stay out of the ocean" is a good enough reason but what about a flooded town or a futuristic underwater city Or <duh duh duh> Land Jaws!
Old 08-06-2010, 06:31 PM
I swear to the big guy that I have a shark film in my head and use the opening scene to get to sleep when I am restless.

Sharks and werewolves are the two monster-movies that have an apex that have not been seriously challenged, yet I continue to watch these sub-genre films in the hope that someone will do something worthwhile.

P.S. I posted pages for a screenplay about a werewolf in a prison during a race-riot/lockdown in the screenwriting forums. It's an original idea and actually part of a trilogy. I'm writing part three just now.

Next up:

Bitch Shark Bastard.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFreak1827 View Post
True, I suppose the "just stay out of the ocean" is a good enough reason but what about a flooded town or a futuristic underwater city Or <duh duh duh> Land Jaws!
I dunno, the ppl of New Orleans might get offended

I think for a shark movie to work these days it neesd to be out of it's element, like sharks in the sewers or something.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:56 AM
Does Open Water not count? I thought that was pretty good.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:48 AM
I hope to hell the new Halle Berry movie is gonna be the badass shark movie we've been waiting for and not just a thriller with a few shark bits in it (coughcoughOpenWatercoughcough).
Old 08-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Whatever happened to that script for Deep Blue Sea 2? The one where a city gets flooded and the smart sharks eat people? That would have been fun!
Old 08-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Honestly, no shark movie - not even the ridiculous but fun Deep Blue Sea nor the admirably small-scale Open Water - can top Jaws, so why even bother?
Old 08-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotreme View Post
Honestly, no shark movie - not even the ridiculous but fun Deep Blue Sea nor the admirably small-scale Open Water - can top Jaws, so why even bother?
Because shark movies rock. They don't have to be better then Jaws, just fun.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
Does Open Water not count? I thought that was pretty good.
Whoops, totally forgot about that one. I really liked Open Water and it's realistic documentary-esque feel.

But seriously, where's MEG?????
Old 08-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFreak1827 View Post
Whoops, totally forgot about that one. I really liked Open Water and it's realistic documentary-esque feel.

But seriously, where's MEG?????
Where indeed? Only I Am Legend has been my most anticipated "unmade film" since I was a kid.

I mean, that turned out badly..but still?
Old 08-07-2010, 08:09 PM
I read MEG about 7 years ago and I've been waiting for the movie ever since I read the prologue. Its first seqeul, The Trench, would make and even better movie.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:16 PM
While not a Shark movie exactly, the Korean film The Host can qualify as a sea-monster film. And that was great, not just as a genre film, but just a quality movie in general. I agree with Reigh that we are seriously hurting for a decent Werewolf movie. What is it about werewolves? Even The X-Files couldn't get them right!
Old 08-08-2010, 01:17 AM
Open Water was crap.

That said, the shark genre is kind of limited in possibility. It's kinda like movies about horses: there's only so much you can do to shoehorn a plot around an animal.

Good shark movies:

Jaws
Jaws 2
Deep Blue Sea
Orca (not a shark, I know, but it fits the genre)

Though I haven't seen Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus. I'm sure it's a work of staggering genius.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:26 PM
There actually has not been a decent shark movie in 35 years.............I think that genre is pretty much played out.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:32 PM

One word.

SHARKTOPUS!

Seriously why is SyFy even still allowed to broadcast.

Out...............................................
Old 08-17-2010, 01:00 PM