Old 04-20-2011, 04:04 AM
Indy Wrestling Thread

I know we have a WWE thread in the TV forum, but since most Indy wrestling isn't on television, I figure it fit better in Sports. I figure here we can talk about ROH, Chikara Pro, Dragons Gate USA, any other indy promotion you dig, or even foreign wrestling federations (Japan/Mexico).

Right now I'm gearing up to watch Ring of Honor's 9th Anniversary show! Any other schmoes into Indy wrestling or just me?
Old 05-17-2011, 02:34 AM
Shit, not much interest in this, eh?

I was into ROH when it first started, but I don't follow the product anymore really. My favourite indy wrestlers are:

-Chris Hero
-Austin Aries
-Jerry Lynn
-Davey Richards
-The Briscoe Brothers
-Ruckus
-Drake Younger
-Thumbtack Jack

I've always liked CZW, at first with it's "garbage wrestling/deathmatch" rep, but then with their Best of the Best tournaments, it gave them more respect among pure wrestling enthusiasts. They've turned out to be a long-standing independant company, but one I no longer actively follow either.

I like indie wrestling, but there's a lotta shit out there too. Plus, a lot of bland "vanilla midgets" or "spot monkeys" (ie. Teddy Hart, Jack Evans) - or just stupid shit like most of what Chikara has (Mike Quackenbush notwithstanding).

It seems like now these days, everyone is working in everyone else's company. Meaning the same wrestlers booked for companies like CZW/ROH/JAPW - And I totally get that, what with WWE having a monopoly on the wrestling business (or ENTERTAINMENT as they like to be called now). TNA is TNA.... Letting a guy like Jay Lethal go was a big mistake IMO, but that's alright because he can go back to JAPW & ROH and earn top dollar on the indy circuit, for establishing himself with TNA.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Trail Blazer makes a good point. Indy guys work for every promotion under the sun. But then again, Steve Austin worked for WCW, ECW and WWF/E. Wrestlers go back and forth all of the time. It's just the nature of the business.

There's a dude I like, but it's hard to follow his career (I can't find any recent matches). Look up Jeckles The Jester.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:32 PM
Well it seems like moreso now they all work for each others promotion, all the same guys.... Then it used to be. I remember when ROH had their exclusive roster, CZW, IWA-MS and JAPW.... Now it's all mixed, which is cool, I get it. Just an observation really.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:14 AM
I didn't even know anyone ever posted in this thread!

Quackenbush rules! I just watched his match with Hallowicked that began the CHIKARA Championship Tournament (12 Large Summit), and I must say it was amazing.

CHIKARA Anniversario Review (w/Quackenbush match review)

I would say the fact that guys work multiple promotions is a good thing. It's not like WWF/WCW/ECW as most of these Indy promotions work together to help each other. I think if there's a guy you like it's easier to follow their career now more than ever as each wrestler has a website/twitter/facebook or all three. There are guys like Eddie Kingston, who can't be found on the internet, but really he's the only one I can think of that's worth a damn. Anyone wondering where a guy is appearing next could even ask me if they really want to know. I usually have the heads up on that these days!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:40 AM
ROH
PWG
Chikara
Evolve
Dragon Gate USA

Are my favorite Indy shows and watch them regularly, I have every ROH DVD from 2002 and 2010. I plan on buying some of the Evolve Dragon Gate USA shows soon.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:31 AM
Trail Blazer makes a good point. Indy guys work for every promotion under the sun. But then again, Steve Austin worked for WCW, ECW and WWF/E. Wrestlers go back and forth all of the time. It's just the nature of the business.