Old 08-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

So who else read these books as a kid? I was just talking to a friend about them, and decided to Google it because I remember the illustrations scaring the shit out of me, and they're STILL horrifying, and I'm nearly 24 years old. And to think these were classified for children.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:29 PM
Omfg I remember these. Yes, they were actually pretty spooky, much more than Goosebumps or some shit. Really good urban legend type short story compilations...and the illustrations were so amazing.

Thanks for the refresh in memory.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:43 PM
My fav story was the girl who wakes up with a boil on her cheek or something and it turns out to be a spider's egg sack and all these baby spiders hatch out of her face. EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-21-2010, 02:08 PM
^^

That was a messed up story, but my favorites were the ones about the butcher and the sausages (pretty gruesome) and the old man who wanted to see out the window that he waited until his roommates die, only to find...well, it's a pretty self encompassing, Twilight Zone ending.

Also, the one with the two misbehaving kids and their mother who tells them if they act up one more time, she'll leave and be replaced by a glass-eyed being, equipped with a drum...

Last edited by Lazy Boy; 08-21-2010 at 02:15 PM..
Old 08-21-2010, 06:37 PM
Yeah, I grew up on these stories as well. They were all pretty great and I adore that artwork. It's so rich and detailed while also leaving things to the imagination.

My favorite stories were Cold As Clay... the one about a dead lover coming back to be with his fiance. I also liked the one you mentioned Lazy Boy, the Bed by the Window. That was a pretty interesting tale.

Here's some more photos of the artwork by Stephen Gammell:

Old 08-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
My fav story was the girl who wakes up with a boil on her cheek or something and it turns out to be a spider's egg sack and all these baby spiders hatch out of her face. EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, The Red Spot. That one creeped the fucking shit out of me as a kid. I was deathly afraid of spiders for awhile after reading that. The last few times I went to Borders they had a collection of all 3 books. I really should pick it up. I've always loved those urban legends (like the hook man, the High Beams story, etc.), and these were an awesome twist on them. I loved the one where they think they got a chihuahua but it turns out to be a giant sewer rat.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:47 PM
GIVE ME BACK MY TOE...
Old 08-21-2010, 10:16 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH MY GOD!!! I loved those books!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Hell yeah! I had these all in paperback and carried them around so much they were falling apart. The artwork was really the reason to keep flipping through. Some freaky shit.

Actually a few years back I picked up a compilation hardcover copy at a bargain book store and fell in love with them again. What's interesting now, is that in the back there is the history of the stories and where the author got them from.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:22 PM
I use to read these all the time back in school, they were really creepy...one story that scared me was when this boy and his dog went to spend the night in an old house and a head rolled down the chimney or something like that and the dog died of shock. I also agree that these illustrations are still frightening after all these years...wish these books were easier to find.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:29 AM
Completely forgot these existed.

The brothers on the farm with the scarecrow who ends up stretching out one brothers skin was the best imo.