Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Film endings that just piss you off?

A lot of times I watch a great film but then just make me angry with a piss poor ending. A recent example is The Collector. Such a great film but then that ending was just...goddamn. Anyone have any?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Just to name a few.

The Matrix Revolutions
Terminator Salvation
Saw IV
IT
Planet of the Apes
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Signs
Hostel Part: II
Old 08-04-2010, 12:16 AM
My go-to answer here is always The Mist. Just infuriated me, and not for the reasons the filmmakers wanted me to feel angry.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
My go-to answer here is always The Mist. Just infuriated me, and not for the reasons the filmmakers wanted me to feel angry.
Yeah I would agree with that.

Also:

Repo Men
Saw V

more to come
Old 08-04-2010, 12:26 AM
War of the World[2005]
I am Legend
Old 08-04-2010, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
I actually loved the ending to The Mist.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
I actually loved the ending to The Mist.
As did I.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:19 AM
Jacob's Ladder. That movie can eat all the dicks in the world.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:38 AM
Any horror movie where the hero ends up getting killed or suffering some horrible fate and the killer "wins" in the end, because that's just so scary...

Fuck you, horror movies.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:45 AM
Shutter Island and Jacobs Ladder and to a lesser extent The Mist
Old 08-04-2010, 01:47 AM
I agree with I Am Legend. That was just terrible. Way to misinterpret the title by a mile. Akiva Goldsman is a terrible writer who should never be allowed to write another movie. It was like they took Richard Matheson's greatest work and shit all over it. It was a mockery.

I would also say the ending of Sunshine was also pretty bad. It ruined the entire movie for me. It was an interesting film until they revealed the monster who had been hiding in the spaceship for seven years. It made the entire movie silly as hell for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Any horror movie where the hero ends up getting killed or suffering some horrible fate and the killer "wins" in the end, because that's just so scary...

Fuck you, horror movies.
Your post is full of win BadBird.

Last edited by Cop No. 633; 08-04-2010 at 01:49 AM..
Old 08-04-2010, 01:51 AM
The Passion of the Christ.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPuppet View Post
I agree with I Am Legend. That was just terrible. Way to misinterpret the title by a mile. Akiva Goldsman is a terrible writer who should never be allowed to write another movie. It was like they took Richard Matheson's greatest work and shit all over it. It was a mockery.
I really don't know what was wrong with the ending to I Am Legend. I thought it summed the title up pretty well. It wasn't the greatest film in the world by any means but the ending wasn't bad. I've seen much worse.

Edit: Unless the alternate ending is what was released everywhere but the UK...? That would have pissed me off a bit.

Last edited by a basterd; 08-04-2010 at 04:12 AM..
Old 08-04-2010, 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek View Post
The Passion of the Christ.
How so, Tweek?

Robin Hood (2010)
Old 08-04-2010, 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by a basterd View Post
I really don't know what was wrong with the ending to I Am Legend. I thought it summed the title up pretty well. It wasn't the greatest film in the world by any means but the ending wasn't bad. I've seen much worse.

Edit: Unless the alternate ending is what was released everywhere but the UK...? That would have pissed me off a bit.
The title has a completely different meaning in the book that the movie fails to capture. I don't want to spoil it for everyone, but I'll post why it's important. But I highly recommend you read the book (it's very short) instead and see why the adaptation's ending is laughable. The book's even been done as a graphic novel too, which is a very faithful adaptation.

Spoiler:
At the end of the novel, Neville finds out that the vampire virus has actually evolved past the zombie like vampire creatures and has produced a new kind of vampire that can withstand the sun and doesn't turn these vampires into savage creatures like the ones Neville's been fighting in the story. These new vampire capture Neville and plan on killing him in front of everyone as an example to the new society.

When he arrives at their part of town, everyone is afraid of Neville like he's a monster. He's become infamous for killing their kind. To them, he is the villain. Neville then sits in his cell, slowly dying from a gun shot wound that he received when he was captured. He contemplates his position as being the last human alive. He realizes that these new vampires will take over the world and that one day, human beings will be nothing more than a fairy tale to these new creatures. Neville will become the bogeyman to their children. His name will be whispered in fear. Neville smiles before he dies, his last thoughts being, "I am legend."

And also, as soon as the female character said "God" helped her find Neville and will help her find the compound, I wanted to throw my popcorn at the screen. That was just incredibly stupid writing right there. Along with other stupid things that the movie did, like that awful flashback scene that built up to the stupidest death scene I can recall in a huge blockbuster.

Last edited by Cop No. 633; 08-04-2010 at 04:32 AM..
Old 08-04-2010, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPuppet View Post
The title has a completely different meaning in the book that the movie fails to capture. I don't want to spoil it for everyone, but I'll post why it's important. But I highly recommend you read the book (it's very short) instead and see why the adaptation's ending is laughable. The book's even been done as a graphic novel too, which is a very faithful adaptation.

Spoiler:
At the end of the novel, Neville finds out that the vampire virus has actually evolved past the zombie like vampire creatures and has produced a new kind of vampire that can withstand the sun and doesn't turn these vampires into savage creatures like the ones Neville's been fighting in the story. These new vampire capture Neville and plan on killing him in front of everyone as an example to the new society.

When he arrives at their part of town, everyone is afraid of Neville like he's a monster. He's become infamous for killing their kind. To them, he is the villain. Neville then sits in his cell, slowly dying from a gun shot wound that he received when he was captured. He contemplates his position as being the last human alive. He realizes that these new vampires will take over the world and that one day, human beings will be nothing more than a fairy tale to these new creatures. Neville will become the bogeyman to their children. His name will be whispered in fear. Neville smiles before he dies, his last thoughts being, "I am legend."

And also, as soon as the female character said "God" helped her find Neville and will help her find the compound, I wanted to throw my popcorn at the screen. That was just incredibly stupid writing right there. Along with other stupid things that the movie did, like that awful flashback scene that built up to the stupidest death scene I can recall in a huge blockbuster.
OK, now I agree. It sounds pretty stupid in comparrison. That ending is so much better, they really should have gone with that.

I'll pick the book up, I'm looking for some holiday reading anyway.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:42 AM
Titanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
This.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:24 AM
As opposed to some post before me, I think the ending to the Mist and Terminator Salvations was great. Really.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:38 AM
Repo Men
Signs
Frailty (still a great movie, but I HATED the ending!)
Old 08-04-2010, 07:02 AM
The Last American Virgin - The sex comedy equivalent of the killer winning in a horror movie. A ruthlessly cruel end to an already shitty flick.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:40 AM
Sunshine, Saw 2, & IT are the only ones that instantly came to mind I'm also no a lover of the ending to No country for old men but I appreciate The Coens had to follow the book. The endings to Jacob's ladder & The mist were the best things about them imo.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Drag Me To Hell.

The ending was apparent but it still pissed me off. For a horror/dark comedy, the ending was just a slap in the face.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by razgriz21 View Post
Drag Me To Hell.
Are you gonna wonder what the end to Kill Bill and Finding Nemo are? :P *joking*
Old 08-04-2010, 11:58 AM
The Mist. Oh god, the Mist. That ending was so goddamn terrible. It was so very very very very very very very stupid. Like how the hell does anyone anywhere think that is what passes for a good ending? "It was such a great shock! And ironic and bullshit bullshit bullshit."

If you can't tell, that ending really pisses me off.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Old 08-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. Hakari View Post
The Last American Virgin - The sex comedy equivalent of the killer winning in a horror movie. A ruthlessly cruel end to an already shitty flick.
Ahhhhh....but so true to life.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by overwatch View Post
Shutter Island and Jacobs Ladder and to a lesser extent The Mist
Yeah, I didn't like the end of Shutter Island either, but I pretty much knew that was how it was going to go. I felt his whole conspiracy theory would have been a much better story.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Arlington Road... I hate that bitch!!! (you know who)
Old 08-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
How so, Tweek?
It was a total gyp. We find out he's a zombie and then it just ends?
Old 08-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Agree about I Am Legend, especially when you know the original ending from the book...

I wish The Game had ended a few minutes earlier and The Strangers could have done without its one last jump scare. I don't know if credits count but I could really have done without the bad pop song credits on Kairo (Pulse). Completely kill the mood.

Last edited by JCPhoenix; 08-04-2010 at 05:37 PM..
Old 08-04-2010, 05:45 PM
What was that movie with Robert DeNiro and what's her name? Hide and Seek, I think?
Yeah, I hated that one.

That's all I can think of for now...
Old 08-04-2010, 05:47 PM
A Serious Man.

Love the film; get the point; but they are really starting to push their luck with audiences.

On a not unrelated note, it took me a year to find out the fucking point of the flying saucer at the end of The Man Who Wasn't There.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reigh Kaufman View Post
A Serious Man.

Love the film; get the point; but they are really starting to push their luck with audiences.

On a not unrelated note, it took me a year to find out the fucking point of the flying saucer at the end of The Man Who Wasn't There.

Agreed. I'll throw No Country For Old Men in there too.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by docholiday_13 View Post
Agreed. I'll throw No Country For Old Men in there too.
I can't help it but I HATED the ending to NCFOM as well.

Sunshine
Open Water
Road To Perdition (the king of a great film ruined by the fate of a character)
Con Air (Fun action flick taken too far with that whole silly Vegas strip thing)
Old 08-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Only reason I can't hate on the No Country ending is because of how faithful it stays.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:02 PM
The Mist has one of my favorite endings ever.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseanymacx View Post
Only reason I can't hate on the No Country ending is because of how faithful it stays.
Eh, I never liked that argument, simply because it implies that the source material couldn't possibly have any flaws, when in fact, the source material itself could be crap.

I hated the end of NCFOM.

As for I Am Legend, I have no problem with the ending. I only wished it would have ended a few seconds earlier, leaving it more ambiguous.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek View Post
It was a total gyp. We find out he's a zombie and then it just ends?
That's what really happened, Tweek. Not the zombie bit. But rather the fact that after Jesus died, he was put into a tomb and it was sealed. Then 3 days later he ascended to heaven. His human physical form remained until he left the tomb. He was resurrected by his father, God. Yes, I find it all extremely daunting and intimidating, myself. But the bible says this is what happened.

One thing in the film. Remember as he stood up and walked out, you see the hole in his hand? I found that bit strange, in that he was brought back to life, yet the marks of his physical ordeal remained in part. Hmm...
Old 08-05-2010, 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucksta G View Post
The Mist has one of my favorite endings ever.
Yeah, it blew me away. I've never read the book, so I don't know how it compares to that.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Daybreakers-They discover the cure to vampirism, have conquered the facility that produces synthetic blood, decide to transform all of the vamps back into humans, and......DRIVE OFF INTO THE SUNSET!!? Who thought that would be a good idea. Thirty seconds is all it would have taken to turn a shitty horrid ending into a great ending to a great movie.

On Drag me to Hell:

The reason for the shittyness of the 'drag me to hell' ending is that it makes, by extension, the entire movie entirely irrelevant. If she had in some way chosen to day, maybe to save her fiance from being dragged to hell because she accidentally gifted it to him, it would have been ok to kill her off. Unfortunately this is not the case. She dies. For no good reason. The entire movie has no point. It's worse than 'the strangers,' a movie where they tell you the main characters are going to die in the opening credits. Both movies are cases of filmakers not giving one good god damn about their characters. I don't see how anyone can support an ending like those two had.

Last edited by mutesaint; 08-05-2010 at 08:51 AM..