Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2010, 08:05 AM
Movies Like "Event Horizon", "Sunshine" & "Pandorum"?

I'm on a Sci-Fi flick run. And I need recommendations for films like the above three. Are there any more? Does Dante101 and Eden's Log count?

Edit - why can't I edit my topic starter?

Last edited by God of War; 02-12-2012 at 01:51 AM..
Old 09-13-2010, 08:13 AM
Well I'm not sure about the ones that are closer to that horror/thriller aspect, but there are those outer space movies that are more contemplative.
Moon
Solaris
Supernova (really good effects, but it's pretty horrible)
Silent Running
2001:A Space Odyssey

And the more action oriented Outland, also a great movie.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the recommendations, dude. I have all of those on dvd, with the exception of Solaris. I love Outland (seen it so many times, awesome), Silent Running (classic), and 2001 of course. I also like Moon. And believe it or not, Supernova I find is a guilty pleasure of mine.

With Solaris. Is that the one with George Clooney in it? If so, I've seen it once. I found it hard to get into. All I remember is...

Spoiler:
His wife dying slowly or something?
I have to give it a rewatch. Thanks man.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:47 AM
You might want to try Cargo. It's not great, but the plot seems right up your alley.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381940/
Old 09-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
Does Dante101 and Eden's Log count?
I would count Eden Log. I mean... it comes off a lot like those other movies and does deal with being trapped in a small space with horrible horrible things.

I keep trying to find Dante01 though and haven't had any luck. But from the sound of it, it might fit.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Solaris is a Russian sci-fi gem.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseanymacx View Post
Solaris is a Russian sci-fi gem.
And George Clooney starred in a remake. It's been a while, but I did see the remake. I thought it was okay.

I think Alien would fit in this category. It's a horror/thriller set in space.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:10 AM
I would seriously recommend avoiding Dante 01. It looks very nice, but is fucking boring as hell.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Outlander!

Check out Outlander! I think it came out in 2008. Seriously underrated sci-fi/action film. Basic premise is an Alien Man coming to earth in Norway sometime round 800 AD to hunt a crazy alien that is now loose on earth. Sounds crazy—and it is. It also happens to be awesome.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:57 AM
I think we've pretty much narrowed down this very small genre. I remember ages ago watching the trailer for Cargo and getting really excited, so it's now that I remember that movie exists. Moving away from the outer space movies and to planet oriented ones, but still hard sci-fi rather than fantasy; Mission to Mars and Red planet.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Well, Alien is the obvious one I guess. 2001 if we're talking about Sunshine.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:51 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123755/
Old 09-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Although animated, try Dead Space.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Cube is the shit. Love the whole series. Cube, Hypercube, and Cube Zero
Old 09-15-2010, 08:47 PM
ha, ok another. Outland, with Sean Connery. Old 80s movie. Super awesome. If you like dark sci-fi, you will love this movie.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:06 PM
You know I've always thought Sphere was a pretty atmospheric movie. Very similar to Sunshine I fell. And by that extension I'd probably recommend The Abyss.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:55 PM
First of all, Event Horizon is utterly terrible. I mention this as a lament, for I too remembered it with my adolescent mind as a treasure of space horror. Upon revisiting it with my nostalgia placed delicately aside, I can honestly say it deserves nothing more than mediocre.

Sunshine was a pleasant surprise, though I'm reluctant to advocate it openly. I find it hard to trust my expectations for films these days. It's like being the victim at the center of a group beating. Anything's better than being beaten. Having someone spit in your face is a pleasant surprise from being kicked in it. I can't speak toward Pandorum, but I imagine not feeling compelled to watch it says something on its own.

I tend to lean toward more subtly creepy sci-fi films myself, Moon being a personal favorite, but sometimes bad acting, great non-CGI gore, and the right amount of cheese can coalesce into something great. For this I recommend The Thing.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsyder View Post
You might want to try Cargo. It's not great, but the plot seems right up your alley.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381940/
I'm gonna check out Cargo, dude. Cronos as well as you have recommended it to me. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpesh View Post
I would count Eden Log. I mean... it comes off a lot like those other movies and does deal with being trapped in a small space with horrible horrible things.
I saw the trailer only. And it looked fucked up (good). I'll most definitely try and find it just to see it, and what it's like. It's French, right? Foresign, I know that much.

Quote:
I keep trying to find Dante01 though and haven't had any luck. But from the sound of it, it might fit.
Yeah. And I think that FireCaptain made a thread on this movie. If I recal, he liked it alot. Or he was going to see it and it looked promising. Either way, it does look quite good to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
I think Alien would fit in this category. It's a horror/thriller set in space.
Oh, absolutely, dude. It goes without saying. I have all of them. I think I should have made my topic title more like "Lesser known sci-fi films" like event, pandorum and sunshine. Not to worry though. Some great replies. Thanks Red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
I would seriously recommend avoiding Dante 01. It looks very nice, but is fucking boring as hell.
That's disappointing. Thanks for the advice. I may still rent it if it ever becomes available over here, which it hasn't yet. Just to see what it's like, ya know. Like you said, dude, it looks very nice. So, I may watch it. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsat420 View Post
Check out Outlander! I think it came out in 2008. Seriously underrated sci-fi/action film. Basic premise is an Alien Man coming to earth in Norway sometime round 800 AD to hunt a crazy alien that is now loose on earth. Sounds crazy—and it is. It also happens to be awesome.
Dude, this movie is right up my alley. I already have it. Love it! I love anything that is Viking flavored. And what's more, this is sci-fi combined with viking stuff. A seriously underrated gem of a flick, if you ask me. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by overwatch View Post
Mission to Mars and Red planet.
Another two films I own and love. I love any movie that deals with Mars. And although these two movies are really not that popular as a whole, I always enjoy them immensely. Do you like them both too alot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huttjos View Post
Although animated, try Dead Space.
As in the game? I play the game on my PS3. I love the whole "Survival Horror"
genre on games as well. The anime is what the game/s are based on, right?

Quote:
Cube is the shit. Love the whole series. Cube, Hypercube, and Cube Zero
Ditto. Although, Cube Zero I found less enjoyable than the first two. Cube being the best IMHO. But still, all very good overall.

Quote:
ha, ok another. Outland, with Sean Connery. Old 80s movie. Super awesome. If you like dark sci-fi, you will love this movie.
Once again, another fav of mine. I watch this film at least ocne oper year, every year. Love it man. Good to see other fans of this Peter Hyams film.

Quote:
You know I've always thought Sphere was a pretty atmospheric movie. Very similar to Sunshine I fell. And by that extension I'd probably recommend The Abyss.
I have the Abyss deluxe set. Love it. Thanks again. And Sphere had some interesting ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Smarmy View Post
I tend to lean toward more subtly creepy sci-fi films myself, Moon being a personal favorite, but sometimes bad acting, great non-CGI gore, and the right amount of cheese can coalesce into something great. For this I recommend The Thing.
An absolute must. I have been a fan of this film for more years than I can remember. The documentary "Terror takes shape", is really good. And about 90 minutes long I think. Did you see that? But yes, I love the movies that fall into this category. The Thing is awesome!
Old 09-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Here's some that have not been mentioned so far that I own and cherish.

Moon 44 (remember this movie?)
Lifeforce (aka as the space vampires) personal fav of mine.
Green Slime (1968 AWESOME retro stuff here)
Creature (klaus kinski) (like alien)
Forbidden Planet (i think this counts. remember the ID?)
Dark Star (you all know this one, surely)
Old 09-18-2010, 09:08 PM
I Just remembered, Event Horizon holds a big debt to Disney's The Black Hole (abandoned spaceship reappearing, the whole hell thing) although adds a shitload of gore. Sunshine kinda reminds me of TBH as well...
Old 09-18-2010, 09:26 PM

The Black Hole is a classic. I have that on dvd as well.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Montana View Post
I Just remembered, Event Horizon holds a big debt to Disney's The Black Hole (abandoned spaceship reappearing, the whole hell thing) although adds a shitload of gore. Sunshine kinda reminds me of TBH as well...
You beat me to it. "The Black Hole" was very kiddiefied, but actually very much like "Event Horizon" and it`s ilk.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:46 AM
The Dark Side of the Moon

From 1990. Genuinely dark and creepy, event horizon type movie. Here is the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrn3oazv8_I
Old 10-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Quote:
I saw the trailer only. And it looked fucked up (good). I'll most definitely try and find it just to see it, and what it's like. It's French, right? Foresign, I know that much.
Yup, French. Sadly the dvd lists the original version (French dialogue with English subtitles) of the movie as a 'special feature'.

Quote:
Lifeforce (aka as the space vampires) personal fav of mine.
aka, that movie with the naked alien space babe.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Here's some that have not been mentioned so far that I own and cherish.

Moon 44 (remember this movie?)
It has been a long time since I saw that one, but I remember liking it a lot. It was made by Roland Emerich before he got famous. It's also the movie where he and Dean Devlin met while Devlin was still an actor (who played a guy that got prison-raped).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeptic View Post
The Dark Side of the Moon

From 1990. Genuinely dark and creepy, event horizon type movie.
Wow. I almost forgot about that one. The only thing I remember was something about the Bermuda Triangle sending stuff to the other side of the Moon, and a guy who gets killed while going down on some chick.

Quote:
Lifeforce

aka, that movie with the naked alien space babe.
And she was smokin' hot in that movie.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
And she was smokin' hot in that movie.
I see it now... remake that movie with Diora Baird. Yes. I want that.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Saturn 3
Moontrap
Leviathan (underwater, not in space)

Last edited by Big Boss; 10-09-2010 at 06:59 PM..
Old 10-12-2010, 05:32 PM
To add to your guy's suggestions. I thought the followup to 2001 (2010) was a decent flick.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Just discovered this news
http://www.if.com.au/2010/10/05/arti...NHIDRBJVE.html

Which is great, but not promising because Australia has horrible funding bodies and the feature length movie will probably never get made

Don't forget the yet to be made movies; Final Orbit and Gravity
Old 11-08-2010, 10:58 AM
I've noticed a lot of these movies have been getting making the news lately; an action oriented one from Luc Besson is making headway http://www.collider.com/2010/11/07/l...ce/#more-58932 as well as the two movies from Timur.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:44 AM
This...

Last edited by Psychocandy; 11-09-2010 at 02:00 AM..
Old 11-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Old 01-14-2011, 10:09 AM
http://collider.com/love-trailer-pos...75/#more-70175
Old 01-15-2011, 02:13 PM
While not strictly a horror, but nonetheless a mind-hump thriller set in space, there is a segment of an anime anthology known collectively as 'Memories' that has an episode called 'Magnetic Rose'. The most I can tell you that it follows the lead up to Álien'- crew responding to distress call only to get into a lot of trouble. But other than that, you really should watch it. It only goes for 40 minutes, but that's all it really needs.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:51 AM
What did people think of the trailer for Apollo 18?

This also looks like it's going to be similar to Outland; http://www.crazycritics.com/page/loc...irst-images-of
Old 06-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Wow. There's still heaps I haven't seen yet. Yeah, that Apollo 18 looks unhinged to say the least. Anybody seen it?
Old 06-03-2011, 07:15 PM
It was supposed to come out in April this year, I think it was actually postponed until next year sometime.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
It was supposed to come out in April this year, I think it was actually postponed until next year sometime.
That sux. I got "Blair Witch Project" in space vibes from that trailer. Hope it's good. It looks creepy as hell.

And that Final Orbit and Gravity look promising. Never heard of them before.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Not Sci-fi, but I always thought Event Horizon was totally indebted to Hellraiser.

I would recommend Moon, and Leviathan is quite underrated.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCoverVersion View Post
Not Sci-fi, but I always thought Event Horizon was totally indebted to Hellraiser.
Yeah, it reminded me of Hellraiser in space, kinda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCoverVersion View Post
I would recommend Moon, and Leviathan is quite underrated.
Got both of them as well. Love Leviathan.