Old 09-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Rob Zombie's "Lords of Salem"

LordSimen should really be THE one to start this thread, but since he isn't here, I'll start it up for him...

Source

Quote:
Rob Zombie has finally committed to a project!

Which one is it? THE BLOB remake? TYRANNOSAURUS REX? Another HALLOWEEN? Quick answer--None.

Actually Zombie is doing a little film titled LORDS OF SALEM. You can probably guess where this is going. The thriller is set in , "contemporary Salem, where the inhabitants receive a demonic visit from a 300-year old coven of witches." Zombie is going to write the script while on tour and will helm it sometime next year. He came up with the idea for the film a few years ago, then came back to the story while trying to put together THE BLOB remake. Well, the plan changed when Zombie got some news from Haunted Films, the company run by the Paranormal Activity group of Jason Blum, Steven Schneider and Oren Peli, What excited me most was Jason saying, you can have total control over the script, casting and final cut. I said Im in. That's a damn good deal.

But why did Zombie drop THE BLOB remake? Apparently after making two HALLOWEEN films, it became too much when they started getting compared to John Carpenter's original. I wanted to break away from anything related to preexisting material. The remake train is getting pretty tired now and when I made Halloween, everybody complained, either that it was too much like the original or too different. I like that people either love or hate what I do because its better than being in the middle, which means forgettable. But when you do an original premise, they take it on face value and after three years of not being able to win on Halloween, I just couldn't go through that again," said Zombie.

Zombie at one time made some really awesome music (you may not feel the same), then finally broke away to take the leap from horror movie lover to horror movie maker. He enjoys the experience, but at times it becomes a bit too much, Ive had differing levels of control, with the best experience being Lionsgate on The Devils Rejects, when I made the movie and they said, `great.' The two Halloween movies were more give and take, and I had enough bloody battles to get my way that by the time I got it, I didn't care anymore." So perhaps it's time for him to start anew on something fresh.

This thread is dedicated to LordSimen and the John Cusack/Pie Saga.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:20 AM
i find myself congratulating a filmmaker i do not like because his next project is not the desecration of a property i care about.

is this what mainstream horror has come to?
Old 09-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Cool, a witch movie. Bring it.

I like Zombie.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by APzombie View Post

is this what mainstream horror has come to?
From the looks of it yeah.

I have a bad feeling that this film will have everything that makes his movies unwatchable.

Last edited by John@$$; 09-25-2010 at 12:23 PM..
Old 09-25-2010, 03:13 PM
Oh good, a movie where witches say Fuck every other word.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Don't forget adam johnson that the witches are white trash and the most dramatic scene feature a 70's rock balled.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:35 PM
"When shall we cocksuckers meet again?"

"When the fuckin' hurlyburly is fuckin' done, pussy!"

"Lick my tits, ya fuckin' witch bitch"

Etcetera, type some shit, etcetera, add a swear word, etcetera, rape scene.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:14 PM
I can only hope this is nothing like Halloween 2 and it might actually be decent.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Ha, when I first glanced at the thread title I thought it read Rob Zombie's "Lords of Simen"

I have little to no interest in Rob Zombie movies. I did somewhat enjoy House of 1000 Corpses(although I was high & drunk as hell so I probably would of enjoyed anything)

At least he wont ruin The Blob. I guess thats pretty good news.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Ha, when I first glanced at the thread title I thought it read Rob Zombie's "Lords of Simen"
Hey don't give Zombie any more ideas... . Specially if it's the fanboy known as LordSimen.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:45 PM
I'm excited, I enjoyed everything Rob Zombie has come out with so far and I'm glad he's finally doing something original.

House of 1000 Corpses was a fun, crazy return to the 70's feel but with his own twist, while The Devil's Rejects took it a step further with an even better script (no annoying teens in this one). Halloween was 50/50, I loved the new take on Michael's upbringing and appreciated the new back story but then it failed a little when re-doing what we saw in the original with less tension and more gore. The sequel, especially the director's cut, was a great dramatic horror film about a traumatized girl's descent into total madness.

However, I understand why a lot of people seem to dislike the guy's work. I'm a huge fan of John Carpenter's classic, and I understand some people don't care to see a different take on it, especially with such drastic changes, turning likable iconic characters into flawed human beings.

I do believe Lords of Salem has potential to be Zombie's best, and force horror fans to think twice about how they feel regarding Rob Zombie as a horror filmmaker. We haven't had a great witchcraft-oriented horror film in a long time, and after the bad taste Argento left in my mouth with Mother of Tears, I'm hoping Zombie can reinvent the sub-genre.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:31 AM
Too true and funny :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reigh Kaufman View Post

That is the basis of every script he has dealt with, hahahaha. Funny thing is, Hellbilly Deluxe was/is one of my favorite albums...
Old 10-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Quote:

Out of your hilarious post, this line got me too much. Bravo sir

Saying that, as long as he isn't writing (which is very unlikely) it could be decent. I have allways said that Zombie has an eye for directing, just can't write to save his life.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:16 PM
In a way, I'm optimistic because Zombie will no longer be murdering and then raping a horror icon, but at the same time House of 1000 Corpses was utter shit and The Devil's Rejects was a movie that tried to get the audience to sympathize with a group of serial killers. I'm already anticipating how many 'f-bombs' will be dropped in this thing and what role his wife will play.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:05 PM
A horror film that is somewhat original, and not a remake. Count me in! I enjoyed House of 1000 Corpses, and The Devil's Rejects. His two Halloween films were alright, I would have enjoyed them more if they were their own thing, but alas they were not.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Now that we have some real information on the plot, it could be interesting. Zombie says he plans on making this his bleakest, and most twisted film yet. Personally I hope he doesn't hold any punches and pushes this are far as he can.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:39 PM
This will be the last chance I give Zombie. I have to admit the plot sounds like it could be cool.

But keep him the hell away from "The Blob"! Seriously, wtf?
Old 03-04-2011, 01:07 PM
In my opinion the guy's got a great eye. The shots used in all three of his films give it a unique and fresh look unlike anyone else's in modern horror. Having said that, his writing abilities are pretty awful.

Glad to see that the guy's getting a fresh start because Devil's Rejects got my really excited for this guy's future in filmmaking. Plus, who else is making relevant horror pictures these days?
Old 03-17-2011, 05:09 PM
I'm surprised about the lack of information about this project at this point. Sure we know who's writing, directing, and scoring the music. We also know he's going to cast his wife, and we have a basic idea about the plot. However with it being a month away from shooting you'd think we'd have some more casting news, and a more detailed plot synopsis.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:55 PM
I can already see the witches, drunk on Absinthe and tripping on week old rye bread, having a massive orgy while teenage girls burn alive in the background. And the old priest who sticks his hands down the pants of anything that breathes that is under the age of 12 while sporting his vintage Nazareth t-shirt. He should just change the title now to "Adventures in Trailer Park Etiquette 5."

Give it up pal, your movies suck shit through a straw.

10 bucks says that sucking shit through a straw will now be a scene in his movie.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith fan View Post
In my opinion the guy's got a great eye. The shots used in all three of his films give it a unique and fresh look unlike anyone else's in modern horror. Having said that, his writing abilities are pretty awful.

Glad to see that the guy's getting a fresh start because Devil's Rejects got my really excited for this guy's future in filmmaking. Plus, who else is making relevant horror pictures these days?

No one is making relevant horror films these days, and RZ is definitely one of those people not making anything even in the same ballpark with relevant.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:25 AM
News Update!

Director Rob Zombie farted and then added it into the screenplay for "Lords of Salem" citing that the flatulence added a much needed gritty stench.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:08 AM
The only thing I like about Rob Zombie is his wife lol other than that I think his movies pretty much suck...maybe someday somebody will grasp the concept of what Scary Movie actually means.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Quote:

Exactly why I love his flicks!
Old 05-15-2011, 05:35 PM
Hopefully this picks up where Zombie left off (in terms of direction) where The Devil's Rejects left off. I dug his first two outings, but Halloween was abysmal. The one thing I did appreciate was Zombie's direction itself seems to have grown, but with a script that weak even the great Hitchcock would be left fumbling for decency. Let's just hope that some of his screenwriting skills(?) show some of the maturity he has had behind the camera.

PS: This is coming from someone fortunate enough not to have suffered through the dreaded H2. I love myself to much to force that crap down my throat.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:13 PM
I like RZ's Halloween movies more and more each time I watch them. Say what you will, but I think his characters - including, if not especially, the single-serving knife-fodder ones - are among the best in the genre. Sheriff Lee Bracket, Annie, Michael's parents, Malcolm McDowell's Loomis, Ken Foree's truck driver, Danny Trejo's janitor, the strip club staff in H2, Laurie's friends in H2. How many characters like that can you find in the old Halloween franchise? The Jason franchise? The Freddy franchise? Any horror movie of the past decade?

RZ's story-telling skills could use some improvement, and I hate when his music-video sensibilities creep in on his feature films, but in my book RZ is the best of the best as far as characters go. If you're really so in love with clean-cut, bourgeois, utterly forgettable characters, you've got, well, just about every other mainstream horror movie ever made to munch on.

Last edited by chelovek; 05-16-2011 at 02:50 PM..
Old 05-16-2011, 03:58 PM
The A Nightmare On Elm Street franchise has always been driven, and I'm hard-pressed for you to find characters followable as Nancy in the original Nightmare, or the kids from Nightmare 3. They may have come across as one-dimensional in the later entries, but without the characters' and their innermost fears, Freddy would have nothing to prey on and the franchise would never have made it as far as it did.

Halloween had Jamie Lee Curtis' iconic role in the original. Little Jamie played by Danielle Harris who went on to play Annie in the remake, and needless to say Dr. Sam Loomis!

Phantasm had Reggie, Mike, and Jody. Point in case, there are plenty of rich Horror characters who aren't f-bomb dropping rednecks. Hyuck!
Old 05-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelovek View Post
I like RZ's Halloween movies more and more each time I watch them. Say what you will, but I think his characters - including, if not especially, the single-serving knife-fodder ones - are among the best in the genre. Sheriff Lee Bracket, Annie, Michael's parents, Malcolm McDowell's Loomis, Ken Foree's truck driver, Danny Trejo's janitor, the strip club staff in H2, Laurie's friends in H2. How many characters like that can you find in the old Halloween franchise? The Jason franchise? The Freddy franchise? Any horror movie of the past decade?
I agree with you about Danny Trejo's janitor character. The others, not so much.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:07 AM
Zombie Talks "Lords"

Zombie gave a few details as to the plot of "The Lords of Salem" in an interview:

Quote:
Heidi, a blonde rock chick, DJs at a local radio station, and together with the two Hermans (Whitey and Munster) forms part of the "Big H Radio Team".

A mysterious wooden box containing a vinyl record arrives for Heidi, "a gift from the Lords". She assumes it's a rock band on a mission to spread their word. As Heidi and Whitey play the Lords' record, it starts to play backwards, and Heidi experiences a flashback to a past trauma.

Later Whitey plays the Lords' record, dubbing them the Lords of Salem, and to his surprise, the record plays normally and is a massive hit with listeners.

The arrival of another wooden box from the Lords presents the Big H Team with free tickets, posters and records to host a gig in Salem. Soon Heidi and her cohorts find that the gig is far from the rock spectacle they're expecting: the original Lords of Salem are returning, and they're out for BLOOD.
Full article: http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=28310

It sounds interesting, and I'm glad that it's more of a "slow burn" type than the style of Halloween or H2. I really liked Zombie's first two films, so hopefully he really goes out of his comfort zone for this and makes it (at least) on par with House of a Thousand Corpses.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:48 PM
I want to like this film, I want to give it a chance. However after reading the updated plot synopsis I had to do a face palm.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:25 PM
I think the success of this depends entirely on how much reservation Zombie can show. Subtlety, dude. Subtlety.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:32 PM
The whole 'radio station' angle sounds like Hooper's TCM 2.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgyn View Post
The whole 'radio station' angle sounds like Hooper's TCM 2.
Please, don't remind me of TCM2. Ever.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoGenie View Post
Please, don't remind me of TCM2. Ever.
Come on, that's a solid dark comedy/horror movie. That and the first TCM is where Zombie got his style from.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPuppet View Post
Come on, that's a solid dark comedy/horror movie. That and the first TCM is where Zombie got his style from.
Okay, okay, it's been a while since I've seen it...and perhaps I had set my expectations in the wrong place. It's such a bizarre film that it's hard to even begin on. That's a Thread for another day though. The first TCM, is without a doubt one of Zombie's biggest inspirations, and hopefully he strikes gold and someday makes a film nearly as great as that. Who knows if he will, but it's certainly entertaining to watch him try!
Old 05-22-2011, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPuppet View Post
Agreed. I actually like TCM2 a lot.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:09 PM
I honestly hope this film is more supernatural based then Zombie's other films. I don't want this to feel like a rip off of House of 1000 Corpses/The Devil's Rejects, I want it to be something original. I want to see Zombie try new things.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Zombie always preaches how much he loves the classics, and they influence his music and movies, well let's see him pay the classics some tribute here. Would be cool if he filmed it in black and white.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:15 AM
I like Zombie, even if hes not perfect. I'll definately be on the look out for the film next year and give it a watch.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm definitely going to wait for the screening reviews before I set foot in a theater to watch a Rob Zombie film after the last few, but I'm hoping he gets back on track with this one. Has anybody heard anything lately regarding Lords?