Old 10-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Birthdays

This past Tuesday, I turned 26. At this age, birthdays aren't nearly as fun as they used to be. They seem so arbitrary. What are years anyway? I don't mean to be philosophical about all of this. I'm just curious as to what your favorite birthday memories are. One year, my cake was shaped like a California Raisin. If you don't think that's awesome, then you're dead to me. I also enjoyed my 9th (or 10th) birthday party, as it took place on a putt-putt course. A year or two earlier, my parents bought me my very first stereo system of any kind. Cassettes only! They also gave me a copy of Pearl Jam's Ten to get me started. To me, that was a big fucking deal.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Good question.

I hate surprises and I hate fuss, so birthdays are anathema to me. (I even refused to attend my 18th birthday party and requested a private family meal instead).

However, my birthday this year - 33rd - was special because it was my first as a father - and my wife really pushed the boat out.

She took me to a private whisky tasting session earlier that week. I then picked my favourite bottle (one of just 200 made). Whilst there, I also picked a Cuban cigar and bought a book of my choice (I chose The Room by Hubert Selby Jnr). Then, after a meal, we bathed my daughter before I repaired to the back garden to read while I sipped my drink and smoked my cigar. When it got dark, my wife brought out lots of candles and we spoke until late.

It was perfect.

Happy birthday, count.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Thanks. It sounds like birthdays mean a little more when you have a family of your own. Can I borrow yours next year?
Old 10-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countchocula View Post
Thanks. It sounds like birthdays mean a little more when you have a family of your own. Can I borrow yours next year?
Absolutely, mate.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:40 PM
I turned 30 back in aug. It was nothing speical
Old 10-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Birthdays was the worst days, now we sip champagne when we thirst-ay.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Question for all the older schmoes: does life go by faster with each year? Ever since I turned 18, this has seemed to be the case. Now I'm 22, and it's almost unreal how short a year is when you really break it down.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando @$$ Fat View Post
Question for all the older schmoes: does life go by faster with each year? Ever since I turned 18, this has seemed to be the case. Now I'm 22, and it's almost unreal how short a year is when you really break it down.
I was listening to a Radio 4 show about time and relativity and it posited the theory that during moments of heightened stress, for example during a car accident, time does not slow down, as is commonly believed ("I saw my whole life flash before my eyes"), but that we perceive time slightly differently due to the fact that it is an experience that we have little or no knowledge of, so the brain processes it differently.

They cited a study, too complicated to write up here, that proved there was no actual slowing down or speeding up of the brains process; rather, we recall it differently and more vividly because it has no frame of reference.

The conclusion was that, since time is relative, the associations the brain makes are causal and therefore easier to process if we have first-hand knowledge and experience of the situation. Thus, when we are children, everything is new and must be observed and processed and absorbed - making time feel longer. As we get older, then, and are more familiar with occurences, time appears to move slightly quicker.

Long story short: kids have more to learn - so time feels longer. As adults, it appears to move quickly.

This is why the early phases of life felt longer, and why adulthood feels like it is getting away from us.

Last edited by Reigh Kaufman; 10-01-2010 at 08:08 PM..
Old 10-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Not so much time going faster, but there are times when I can't immediately recall my age. Even to the point that I will ponder for a moment if I'm a year older. I think it seems to go by faster, in that regard, due to the lack of anticipation for each coming year.

On the time going faster thing, I think that stress as a factor is interesting, but can't say it holds a substantial merit in terms of our perceptions. Sure, you have stress as a kid, but you do as an adult too. There are still things to learn. Parents get this. People with health issues brought on by aging bodies get this.

I believe, or to say my intuition says since I've never really thought about this until Reigh was thoughtful enough to share some ideas on the topic -- I think that the time going faster thing is simply a matter of simple mathematics:

If you are, for sake of example, a 1 year old, in order to turn into a 2 year old, you will have to relive 100% of the amount of time you have already experienced. If you are a 5 year old turning 6, you are only experiencing 1/5 the amount of time you have encountered. So on and so forth. By the time you are, say, 50, 1 year is not really that long - just a tiny fraction of the amount of years you've already put behind you.

To analogize a bit - A person with no money might gain one dollar and to them that is substantial. A person with $100 might gain a dollar and not think much of it.

So I would say it is, as they say, just relative.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Heh, nevermind. Bubba just said the same thing.

That seems the simplest and most likely explanation to me anyway.

Last edited by QUENTIN; 10-01-2010 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: redundant
Old 10-01-2010, 09:17 PM
I turned 26 on September 13th. Go me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countchocula View Post
One year, my cake was shaped like a California Raisin. If you don't think that's awesome, then you're dead to me.
That is super awesome. I want a cake shaped like Mr. Peanut one year...

Old 10-01-2010, 09:39 PM
Bubba and Quentin - Very interesting indeed, but I want birthday memories. GIVE ME YOUR MEMORIES.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:48 AM
My dad traveled a lot for work when I was younger. One year he was working like 4 hours away in Ohio for a few months. My mom took me and my brother out to dinner on my birthday. While I was sitting in the restaurant, I saw a car pull into the parking lot. My dad got out. He drove 4 hours after work to come eat dinner with me on my birthday, then drove 4 hours back the same night. I've had some great birthdays, but that's the best birthday memory I've had yet.

I love my dad.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:50 AM
I don't really remember my birthdays from childhood. I'm sure they were just spent eating cake, opening presents, and the like with friends from school.

I do remember celebrating my 22nd birthday in college where some friends took me out to a bar to get me drunk and we ran into another different group of friends of mine and then they started buying me drinks. I don't remember much of that night.

But the last several years, I haven't celebrated the occassion much. My dad is in town the week of my birthday every year on business, so he takes me out to dinner, but that's about it. My facebook page gets plastered with birthday wishes and I get the phone call from siblings. I don't consider it a big deal. I'm over 30, I'm getting married next year, and I'm happy with the way things are. I don't feel the need to make a big deal out of it.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:27 AM
don't really do anything special anymore maybe go to the movies that's about it i turn 30 in Nov and i've been asked am i doing anything big and i always say yeah....turning 30 LOL
Old 10-02-2010, 08:37 AM
I can do without the fanfare myself. As I near 4-0, I think it's a lot of pomp and circumstance to point the many birthdays you've passed by.

Of course, if people go to the trouble of throwing me something, I'm not going to be a party pooper. Embarrassed as hell, but not a party pooper.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaStrangelove View Post
If you are, for sake of example, a 1 year old, in order to turn into a 2 year old, you will have to relive 100% of the amount of time you have already experienced. If you are a 5 year old turning 6, you are only experiencing 1/5 the amount of time you have encountered. So on and so forth. By the time you are, say, 50, 1 year is not really that long - just a tiny fraction of the amount of years you've already put behind you.

To analogize a bit - A person with no money might gain one dollar and to them that is substantial. A person with $100 might gain a dollar and not think much of it.

So I would say it is, as they say, just relative.
See, this is what I've always thought, but it's weird because I've talked to people who have different opinions of it. There are those who don't pay attention and don't really notice it happening, but how do you NOT notice it? This has always been an interesting topic to me, even though some people don't like to go down that road.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE=labialover;3297747]My dad traveled a lot for work when I was younger. One year he was working like 4 hours away in Ohio for a few months. My mom took me and my brother out to dinner on my birthday. While I was sitting in the restaurant, I saw a car pull into the parking lot. My dad got out. He drove 4 hours after work to come eat dinner with me on my birthday, then drove 4 hours back the same night. I've had some great birthdays, but that's the best birthday memory I've had yet.

I love my dad.[/QUOTE

Umm,surprise party,stretch hummer limo,gallons upon gallons of booze any of that count? Haha just kidding holmes.

Just made my day down here.

I love Dad too. Awesome answer dude. I remember that.