#1  
Old 11-05-2010, 08:40 AM
New short film - "Suburban Standoff"

Hey schmoes. From time to time, I would post up new music videos and the like and would ask for feedback, though I'd been tied up with this short movie for a long time. It was shot on the Red One and is a dark comedy. I'm very proud of it and would like any feedback you're able to give

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukj2ceHajfI
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-07-2010, 07:43 AM
Nice stuff, pretty funny I thought. Fantastic idea, that I think you executed quite well!

What's your deal, I'm just curious - You a graduated film student? Do you have your own camera and such? I just want to know because I'm trying to work out what I want to do, I'm currently in a first year at film school, I don't know whether I want to go on for a while and build on qualifications or just save up for my own equipment and build up my own portfolio.

Also, did you add the pictures in the frames in post?

Last edited by Bittersweet; 11-07-2010 at 07:46 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittersweet View Post
Nice stuff, pretty funny I thought. Fantastic idea, that I think you executed quite well!

What's your deal, I'm just curious - You a graduated film student? Do you have your own camera and such? I just want to know because I'm trying to work out what I want to do, I'm currently in a first year at film school, I don't know whether I want to go on for a while and build on qualifications or just save up for my own equipment and build up my own portfolio.

Also, did you add the pictures in the frames in post?
Hey, thanks for watching

Basically, I'm a guy who always wanted to go to film school but couldn't afford it. I grew up wanting to be a writer, then realized writers have no power in the industry so I started learning to direct and eventually learned a lot about everything. So I've tried to get experience in anything I could and used a lot of contacts to get everything set up for this video.

You can check out the rest of my movies and music videos on the youtube channel the video's at. I read a lot of books and did a lot of trial & error, though everyone goes their own path. Film school's excellent for networking though and you never know who in the class will end up being the next big thing so it's worth considering to stay. Though I'd always recommend renting instead of buying your own camera if you're going for something high end unless you're planning to be an all-in-one DP.

And yes, the pictures were in post and no, I'm not 100% proud of how they came out but they work well enough for me. I couldn't use after effects when editing, so it was the best I could in Final Cut Pro
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-08-2010, 01:24 AM
A job well done.

Framing, blocking, etc. Really good stuff. Believable actors. One thing I wish you would have done, seeing as how you shot on a RED - is to utilize the cinematic look even further by maybe giving it a more cinematic grade. I don't mean stylize it to hell or give it some kind of blue or green tint and such but to make the image more pop. It looked and felt like a "home movie" shot on a top of the line camera. Don't take it literally as the visuals gave it a cinematic look - the raw unprocessed image just seemed to give off that vibe. As for everything else, really good!

And I'm basically the same as Scarface, just reading a ton of books, watching a lot of films/videos/music vids, reading up on tutorials and just practicing by shooting my own footage and making short films.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-08-2010, 03:13 AM
It's very well done for the most part. The acting is okay considering that you are probably working with amateurs (or am I wrong about that?). I would be lying though if I said the short was anything more than mildly amusing in terms of the humor.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-08-2010, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface98.9 View Post
Hey, thanks for watching

Basically, I'm a guy who always wanted to go to film school but couldn't afford it. I grew up wanting to be a writer, then realized writers have no power in the industry so I started learning to direct and eventually learned a lot about everything. So I've tried to get experience in anything I could and used a lot of contacts to get everything set up for this video.
Nice, I've just got a student loan, and I don't really go to a fancy film school anyway, the one I go helps though with experience and just working cameras, I've always been pretty decent at editing but there's a really good editing tutor who's really mentored me a lot. I want to do exactly what you're doing when I'm done in a couple years time - Making short films and music videos! I wish I was an American though, it's so hard to get this sort of path going strong down here.

Quote:
Though I'd always recommend renting instead of buying your own camera if you're going for something high end unless you're planning to be an all-in-one DP.
I'm still quite a while off before I consider buying a camera I actually think I'll use for serious stuff, but I've been leaning towards going for a DSLR camera, they're cheap, light and have amazing images if you're using like the 5D Mark II or something. Here in NZ equipment hire, and all that sort of stuff doesn't come too easily, or cheap. I'd like to get my own camera and gear and just approach small decent bands with the proposal of making a music vid for them.

My main grief about renting a camera is I want to be able to get a handle on cameras myself and I won't be able to afford to rent cameras just for a play round.

Quote:
And yes, the pictures were in post and no, I'm not 100% proud of how they came out but they work well enough for me. I couldn't use after effects when editing, so it was the best I could in Final Cut Pro
Yeah, I'm no good at after effects myself, but there are ways of making the image look decent enough in FCP. It's easy as piss to make video look like it's on television, or aged and that, I can't image making it look like a picture would be difficult.

You probably could of got away with simply printing the image out and putting it in the frame. As crappy as this sounds, my friend printed out pictures of the NZ police badges which go on their shoulders and use double-sided tape to stick the paper badges to his actors' shirts shoulders and you couldn't tell the difference! Granted, there's no clear close shots of the shoulder, and we have yet to see what it's like on a bigger screen.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
It's very well done for the most part. The acting is okay considering that you are probably working with amateurs (or am I wrong about that?). I would be lying though if I said the short was anything more than mildly amusing in terms of the humor.
I'm feeling ilovemovies sentiment. The reoccurring joke of everyone pulling out a gun didn't really work for me and neither did most of the dialogue. I get the over-the-top nature of the premise, but the acting wasn't strong enough to convince me of the situation. It felt a bit hokey. I'd maybe shave some time off of it as well. There were a few dead spaces like the girlfriend and her boyfriend scenes which interrupted the flow of the movie.

I did like the connecting shot of the house where you move the camera to different rooms to imply story movement. It could have been even more over-the-top ala Raising Arizona. But that's minor stuff.

It was a good effort.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the feedback so far.

I learned a lot from using the Red so for future projects where I will use it, I'm gonna make more of an effort to give it a cinematic look.

Someone asked about the actors and it was a mix of amateurs and people I've worked with who have a lot of different film credits. There are things I wish I could've done better from when I was directing on the day and things I would've changed when it was being written but I have no regrets
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-08-2010, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface98.9 View Post

I learned a lot from using the Red so for future projects where I will use it, I'm gonna make more of an effort to give it a cinematic look.
definitely do so, it will make your work stand out a bit more. If you need some resources on that just PM me, will gladly help
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump