Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2010, 03:09 PM
Official LINCOLN (Steven Spielberg) Thread (November 16, 2012)

...might just get made after all. With Daniel Day Lewis as Lincoln...

I cracked up a little, this is actually kind of mind blowing for me. Variety has this:

Quote:
Daniel Day-Lewis will star as Abraham Lincoln in Steven Spielberg’s “Lincoln” for DreamWorks. Friday’s announcement was made by Spielberg and Dreamworks co-chairman and CEO Stacey Snider.

“Daniel Day-Lewis would have always been counted as one of the greatest of actors, were he from the silent era, the golden age of film or even some time in cinema’s distant future,” Spielberg said. “I am grateful and inspired that our paths will finally cross with Lincoln.”

Project’s based on the book “Team of Rivals” by Doris Kearns Goodwin with the adaptation by Tony Kushner. Spielberg will produce with Kathleen Kennedy. Story’s focused on the political collision of Lincoln and the powerful men of his cabinet on the road to abolition and the end of the Civil War.
Though I always thought of this with Liam Neeson as Lincoln this could be very interested. Filming is slated for late next year.

Last edited by SkyNet; 09-29-2012 at 10:55 PM..
Old 11-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Got my tickets.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:38 PM

Old 11-19-2010, 05:17 PM

I was beginning to wonder if this would ever get made, but now I'm positively ecstatic!

I bet Liam Neeson is now kicking himself for thinking he was "too old" to play Lincoln.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:58 PM
I like Neeson, but this is just fantastic.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:57 PM

I'm in. DDL as one of the United States most famous president known as Honest Abe? Can't but that project down IMO.

Last edited by John@$$; 11-19-2010 at 07:59 PM..
Old 11-19-2010, 08:02 PM
I'd say DDL as Lincoln is so much more interesting than Neeson, no offense. I'm definitely excited about this project.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:35 PM
I still feel Liam was screwed over. I remember reading how he took many years to research for the role of Lincoln.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:19 PM
There with bells on.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Daniel Day-Lewis > Liam Neeson any day of the week
Old 11-21-2010, 06:50 AM
First of all, I'm happy this film is finally getting into production. It would've been great to see Nesson as Abe, but Daniel Day-Lewis is an exceptional second choice. We may have never gotten Kubrick's Napoleon, but it looks like we'll get Spielberg's Lincoln
Old 11-21-2010, 08:21 PM
I feel bad for all the films having to compete against this come Oscar time (in 2012/2013 I imagine?)
Old 11-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Shame about Neeson. But Day Lewis is a nice consolation prize.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:36 PM
It would be funny if Neeson was awarded the role of John Wilkes Booth.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:43 AM
I think Liam Neeson would've done great as Lincoln, but Daniel Day Lewis would do just as great, if not better. Looking forward to seeing Spielberg and DDL working together.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe8byrant View Post
I still feel Liam was screwed over. I remember reading how he took many years to research for the role of Lincoln.
I may be misinterpreting you here, so forgive me if I have. As I understand it, Neeson took himself out of the running, saying he was "past his sell-by date". It wasn't like he was fired or forced out.

Now, if you mean that Spielberg dragged his feet so long that Neeson got too old and lost his chance, then yes, Neeson was screwed in that respect.

I, for one, would like to meet the studio heads who turned down this project back when Steven and Liam were both ready to make it back in February '09 and ask them "What were you thinking?"

Having said all that, I'm glad that this is finally moving forward, and with one of the best actors working today, no less.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:50 PM
By far some of the coolest news I've heard in a while! I'm glad Spielberg is finally beginning to approach more mature material like this rather than all the fluff he has going on with Tintin and War Horse. And while I would've truly loved to see Neeson and Spielberg reunite, Day-Lewis just puts everything on a level of its own. I'd watch him act in any film and in any role and I can't wait to see what he does with such a fascinating figure like Lincoln. You know, I've actually envisioned him as the president ever since I first saw My Left Foot many years back. I mean c'mon:

Now all Spielberg has to do is to finally get Interstellar on a roll and we'll be good.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:50 AM
Sally Field has signed on to play Marry Todd Lincoln.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=76407

Sally Field to Star in Steven Spielberg's Lincoln
Source: DreamWorks Studios April 13, 2011

Two-time Academy Award winner Sally Field will star as Mary Todd Lincoln, wife to the 16th President of the United States, in DreamWorks Studios' Lincoln to be directed by Steven Spielberg. The announcement was made today by Spielberg and Stacey Snider, Co-Chairman and CEO of DreamWorks Studios.

Sally Field joins Daniel Day-Lewis, who has been cast to play Abraham Lincoln in the Spielberg film.

"I'm excited to be working with Sally for the first time," said Steven Spielberg. "I've admired her films and she has always been my first choice to portray all the fragility and complexity that was Mary Todd Lincoln."

"To have the opportunity to work with Steven Spielberg and Daniel Day-Lewis and to play one of the most complicated and colorful women in American history is simply as good as it gets," said Sally Field.

Based on the best-selling book, "Team of Rivals," by Pulitzer Prize-winning historian Doris Kearns Goodwin, the screenplay has been written by the Pulitzer Prize winner, Tony Award winner, and Academy Award nominated writer Tony Kushner. It will be produced by Kathleen Kennedy and Steven Spielberg.

It is anticipated that the film will focus on the political collision of Lincoln and the powerful men of his cabinet on the road to abolition and the end of the Civil War.

Filming is expected to begin in the fall of 2011 for release in the fourth quarter of 2012 through Disney's Touchstone distribution label.

Field currently stars in the ABC series "Brothers & Sisters" and is also filming Sony Pictures' The Amazing Spider-Man.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:52 AM
I just want to hear Daniel Day-Lewis capture that Kentucky accent that I'm sure Lincoln had. It'll be interesting to hear for sure. Might be easier for Sally Field to get it (shades of Forrest Gumps mother), but it'll be interesting.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:55 PM
He's too short to play Lincoln.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:28 PM
Most anticipated movie currently in production. This is kind of like Inglourious Basterds - it seemed like this had been a talked-about production for so long, to see it actually come together at last, and with everything working out so well. I mean, as great as Liam Neeson is, Daniel Day-Lewis playing this part is like pitch-perfect. Sally Field is also a great addition! I'm just so happy to see this coming together, and can't wait to start seeing images!
Old 04-18-2011, 04:22 AM
What's the age difference between Lincoln and his wife? Because Sally Field seems a little on the old side to be married to Daniel Day Lewis. In fact, I think I'd buy her more as his mom.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
What's the age difference between Lincoln and his wife? Because Sally Field seems a little on the old side to be married to Daniel Day Lewis. In fact, I think I'd buy her more as his mom.
I think I can buy her playing Lincoln's beard. But he's still too short.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:22 AM
Your kidding, right?

Lincoln was 6 '4'

DDL is over 6 '1' almost 6 '2'
Old 04-19-2011, 01:54 AM
ilovemovies, you should know me better by now. It's always been a dream of mine that one day Tom Cruise will play Lincoln, but now that will never come into fruition.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
DDL is 54 years old. Sally Field is 65, but looks (really) surprisingly young for her age. In fact, I hadn't realized she was that old. I thought she was in her late 50's. Anyway, she definitely looks the part and I'm confident she will pull it off. For the record, according to Wikipedia Mary was 9 years younger than Abe. But seriously, Sally Field looks REALLY young for her age.

Also, Tom Cruise might be a bit of a stretch for Abe. But I could definitely see Jason Schwartzman in the part.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:08 AM
Eh, I think Sally Field LOOKS much older than DDL. She looks too old to me to be married to DDL. She looks more like his mother even though they are actually only 11 years a part. But maybe that's just me.

It certainly doesn't mean anything to me though. I still couldn't be more excited about this movie. That it's FINALLY coming to fruition is very exciting.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Quite a bit of news to report on this project.

First off, they're going to film in Virginia and use some of the actual historical sites: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=77194

Secondly, looks like JGL and Tommy Lee Jones may be joining the cast as well: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=77238
Old 11-30-2011, 11:52 PM
First Look - Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln in the upcoming film 'Lincoln' by Steven Spielberg - http://bit.ly/sBW7GH

Last edited by P1NSTR1PEZ; 08-07-2012 at 12:34 PM..
Old 12-02-2011, 04:59 AM

Old 12-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Honest Abe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1NSTR1PEZ View Post
irst Look - Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln in the upcoming film 'Lincoln' by Steven Spielberg - http://bit.ly/sBW7GH
He looks very much like Mr. Lincoln.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:53 PM
Wow, quite uncanny from this angle!

Old 03-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Man, news on this flick is moving slower than molasses on a cold day.

Any new "news"?

Last edited by Otis_Driftwood; 03-26-2012 at 09:48 PM..
Old 07-18-2012, 03:23 PM
Looks like we have our release dates!

November 9: limited

November 16: wide
Old 07-18-2012, 03:36 PM
WE WANNA TRAILER! WE WANNA TRAILER!!
Old 08-07-2012, 10:31 AM
HOLY COW - First Official Look at Daniel Day-Lewis as President Lincoln - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-1uL
Old 08-07-2012, 10:50 AM

Wow, that is uncanny. I have no doubt that the performance will be masterful, I just hope the rest of the film is. Looking forward to the trailer.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Its Spielberg so of course the look will be perfect. Plus Lewis will be great.

Only question here will be script/story. Quick check I see its written by the guy who wrote Munich. I loved Munich, very intense, gritty, and realistic.

So we got Spielberg Director/Producer so everything should be perfect. All the costumes/sets/etc will be spot on. Lewis, one of the best if not the best working today. And finally a solid writer too. Sounds like a contender for film of the year. Although, the early buzz for Killer Joe and The Master sounds like they are going to be tough to beat.

Looking forward to it.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:31 PM
holy. shit.

Probably a shoe in for Best Makeup
Old 08-07-2012, 12:34 PM
still amazed I've looked at the picture like 20 times