Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 02:02 PM
old movies that would hold up if it wasn't for the cheesy music

I was watching The Hidden(1987) earlier. I think it's a good movie and one that is underrated. but there are scenes when they play cheesy 80's music that kind of ruins it a little.

do you know of any other good old movies that might be great if it wasn't for scenes that play music you kind of have to pretend you're not listening to? haha
Old 02-25-2013, 04:16 PM
The Transformers: The Movie
http://youtu.be/Cf_qfX9cKsQ
Old 02-25-2013, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beard_of_Meat View Post
The Transformers: The Movie
http://youtu.be/Cf_qfX9cKsQ
No. Transformers holds up because of the music.

All movies are products of their time. I always hate this complaint about older movies. You should be able to watch any movie through the lens of historical context.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:05 PM
Brazil, which I take to be a near perfect film, has one beyond bizarre 80s jazz sequence which I've always taken to be its only point of serious weakness.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:54 PM
Medium Cool, one of my ten or so favorite films of all-time, has a scene where the characters go to a proto-rave and it becomes a music video for Mother of Invention's Who Needs the Peace Corps. While providing something of a time capsule, it's a bad song and a bad scene that basically serves as a brief detour in the otherwise excellent movie.

I love De Palma's Scarface despite its many problems, certainly chief among them is the absurdly dated and atrocious Giorgio Moroder score. The scene of Tony getting jealous at the nightclub is among the worst crimes ever committed against eardrums.

More broadly, we could just say "80's synth" for damn near any good American movie made during that time period.

Last edited by QUENTIN; 02-25-2013 at 05:59 PM..
Old 02-25-2013, 06:15 PM
As soon as that damn maudlin violin chimes in for every romantic scene in pretty much any Golden Age drama from the '40's or '50's, I'm taken out of the scene a little bit, no matter how fantastic everything else might be. The soft focus and obvious lighting for "romantic effect" usually doesn't help matters, either.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:21 PM
I was watching East of Eden the other day (I love it) and there are scenes, especially in the last twenty or so minutes of the film, that would have just been so much more intense and perhaps even haunting had it not been for the cheesy, overly dramatic (and frankly goofy) soundtrack in the background. Those scenes with Dean confronting his brother and father are already heavy and emotional enough as is...the music almost completely ruins them.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:45 PM
I had forgotten about the cheesy music in Scarface haha

remember the dance sequence before the show in The Running Man? Gotta love the 80's haha
Old 02-26-2013, 12:31 AM
Mona Lisa is a great movie, but I'm always thrown off when In Too Deep starts playing in the middle of the movie.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:38 AM
A lot of movies from the 80's. In fact I'd say most.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:49 AM
is In Too Deep a rap group?
Old 02-28-2013, 12:47 PM
It doesn't ruin the movies but Friday the 13th part 3 and Freddy vs Jason have terrible opening credits music. The first uses punk and the latter uses nu metal.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:12 PM
the 80's did have some movies with great music. remember the lost boys and stand by me?
Old 03-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentasylum View Post
is In Too Deep a rap group?
It's a song by Phil Collins when he was in the group Genesis.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:22 PM

In Too Deep was used perfectly in that film and the 80's were awesome.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:43 AM
haha I was way off