Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2011, 01:28 AM
Am I the only one who misses video stores like Suncoast Video?

Suncoast Video meant everything to me. So did Ma & Pop video stores from the past that Blockbusters gobbled up. Ma & Pop stores had a lot old movies that were hard to come by, that in fact never made it to DVD. Suncoast was the perfect video store. It had an excellent selection of old and new movies. It even continued holding VHS movies for an extended period of time, which I appreciated.

To get a little personal, my school life sucked. Other than a good home life with my family, the availablility of video stores is something that helped get through a lot of the everyday BS. I will admit, I’m a twenty-something guy who still feels lost in his direction, and the serious lack of video stories has created a lot of emptiness. It’s like, the very thing that helped me through school has been taken away from me. In 2006, it was Suncoast Video that went away. And in 2007, the last Ma & Pop store I would ever know of went away. I never thought that the newer technology and online businesses would officially gobble up these precious heavens. It turns out I took these places for granted. There were a lot of movies I kept putting off and now I may never get to see them.

I understand now why newer technology has made it “easier” for people to get movies over the internet. It doesn’t mean I have to like it, but I understand what has transpired. It is just a shame that video stores and online businesses couldn’t co-exist. I looked up the demise of Suncoast Video and Sam Goody. After several years, the sales went down. People found online movies “easier,” and others got fed up with the prices and the extra discs thrown in for extra $. It’s partially changing times that’s responsible, as well as studios taking too much advantage of movie fans.

I know that Best Buy, Target and other stores are still around and sell DVD’s. As well as second hand stores that carry used movies. And that the studios are or may still taking advantage of movie fans with overpriced/overstuffed DVD’s and blu-ray. But they don’t compare to the service Suncoast and Sam Goody provided – old and new movies; excellent selection of both. I don’t know if it’s where I live, but there certainly appears to be far less specialty stores like Suncoast around me and everywhere in the US, and I really miss it.

I’ve always been a loner, but even I know that you have get out the house sometimes. You don’t have to directly talk to someone you know about philosophy, but it was always a change of pace to go to a video story where other human beings existed and physyically hold a VHS/DVD in your hand. That one magical thing has been forever taken away from me, and places like Best Buy don’t replace it. The experience of going out and buying movies has changed and it’s depressing.

I’ve considered this other thought. I’ve reached the age where I feel like I’ve seen everything and nothing is original. I hardly go to the movies anymore. I imagine others reach this point as well. So, who knews if I would still be going to Suncoast nowadays? Well, even if a current Suncoast carried the new, generic movies, I’ve wondered about relics from the past. I have primarily focused on films from the `70’s and up. There must be hidden gems from every year and decade before the 1970’s, and without specialty stores, it isn’t easy to come across those movies.

I would be behind the newer technology and online businesses if more, or all, older films were made available. Regardless of the lack of demand for them. I’m talking about the classics to cult classics to the craptacular. There is an audience for all of them. If there’s anything the online businesses should be focusing on, it’s this – the preservation of all older films.

This seems like the perfect rant for this board. I'm no longer enraged by these changing times, but I have been placed in an empty and depressing position by it. All of us adore movies, and yet they are harder to come by. Anyone also feel the same way?

Last edited by Duke Nukem; 01-07-2011 at 02:19 AM..
Old 01-07-2011, 01:59 AM
I used to work at Suncoast in high school and had no idea that they had filed bankruptcy, so in terms of missing them - no. Every once and a while I'd wander in there to browse and generally would find things to be too expensive. I'm pretty sure the last thing I bought at a Suncoast was a DVD of Get of Life, and that would of been in 2002. Now that I'm thinking of it, I think I've been standing in FYE's for several years thinking I was in a Suncoast.

Everyone goes on about the mom and pop stores getting creamed, but I was pretty close with an owner of one of these stores, one of the best, and most of what I saw was someone refusing to change their way of doing business. I'm not a fan of it, just because I prefer smaller business to prosper over giant faceless corps, but when technology is changing and your business is based on that technology - it's just the way it is: you gotta change how you run things, or get run out. Sadly, in terms of the video industry, the corps make it hard to predict which way to go - bluray or HDDVD, for instance.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:20 AM
I miss them as well...Loved walking through the non-new release section and scoping out some B-grade jems (or lumps of coal). Hated the late fees though. Got to say you have little or no renters remorse when you stream a piece of crap and can just select another. I miss video stores; but like what the industry has evolved into.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Suncoast was nothing compared to Media Play. Now THAT is a store that I miss. Every time I went, I spent $20-$30 more than I thought I would.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:28 PM
I hated Suncoast. It was expensive and the one I'd go to had douchebags for employees.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:10 PM
I remember Media Play. I can't say I recall its quality of the movie selection. It wasn't at the mall I went to. What I remember about Suncoast was its amazing selection of old and new movies. But was it expensive to shop there? That I don't particularly remember. I was only pondering that theory in my first post. Chances are, I would have bit the bullet on any not-too-unreasonable price because of what they had.

I will say this, I do seem to remember the manager of my local Suncoast being a bit cold towards me (and cold in general). I may have tried getting a job there in 2001 and it just didn't come through. The rest of the employees I don't recall having any attitudes. I'm sorry about the lousy sercive you recieved at your store, Tweek. It's a shame your store wasn't better managed.

It just would have been nice if DVDs and the Suncoast/Sam Goody business had been marketed better and didn't ask for too much $$$. Online businesses still would have showed up, but they could worked together with the physical stores. As long as prices weren't driven up, there would have people who wanted to get out of the house and go to the video store, and other people who have prefered the "easier"/less fun way of doing it over the computer.

A world with this fewer video/specialty stores doesn't make sense to me. It's like they want people to do everything at the click of a button, never leave the house and forget how to physically co-exist with other human beings. And this is coming from someboy who is a loner. Suncoast and all those other beloved stores were reasons to step out of the house and do something. It's as if the world is getting bigger and smaller at the same time.

Last edited by Duke Nukem; 01-07-2011 at 11:13 PM..
Old 01-08-2011, 12:13 AM
Media Play wasn't a mall store like Suncoast. It was huge. It had a wide music selection, a wide movie selection, and a wide book selection. Plus, it had action figures, posters and other random things. It was heaven.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:17 AM
Curtis Mathis, mofos!
Old 01-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Nope, love my Redbox
Old 01-09-2011, 12:52 AM
Well, back in the day, before DVDs, yeah, it was the place to go because it had the biggest selection of widescreen VHS anywhere. Back when nobody knew what the hell widescreen meant. I remember they even had a stand alone section just for widescreen tapes. It was hilariously small and pathetic, but it was always growing.

But over the years, the store kinda went to shit. Everything was over priced and all they wanted you to do was join their stupid rewards program and reserve movies you could find for ten bucks cheaper across the street at Best Buy.

I do miss the little section of figurines and collectibles they had. Mostly because they always had too many and would clearance the shit out of them and you could get stuff for dirt cheap.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Are you referring to Suncoast or Countchocula's Media Play with the mention of figurines/collectibles? I can't recall if Suncoast had figures and such.

I remember the VHS days in the late `90's. The selection was great. I remember not being "mature" enough yet to see mainstream horror movies. I bought Halloween's 4/5,F13's Part 6/7/8, A Nightmare on Elm Street's 1/2/4. And not to mention, "Sleepaway Camp." I remember the female cashier looking at me strangely when I bought that one. All in all, I was seeing most of those movies for the first time, which made it even cooler. However, I had to then hide them in my jacket on the way home. I even kept them hidden in my room, so my parents wouldn't find out. When they did find out about my efforts to keep them a secret, they laughed. It wasn't such a big deal after all!

Some regular VHS movies I picked up were "Duel" (1974, Steven Speilberg), "Sudden Death" (1995, with Van Damme) and "Stripes" (1981, with Bill Murray) "Duel" was a hidden gem and I found "Sudden Death" to be very underrated and entertaining. "Stripes" is hilarious.

I was also able to pre-order two hard-to-find VHS horror films from 1981, "The Hand" and "The Boogens." They were worth getting.

Those VHS purchases are what I remember most vividly. In the DVD years to come later, I can't recall when things started shifting for the worse. I always found their selection consistent. I always able to find something old, something new and hidden gems in between. I did stay away from some crazy $ purchases, but I was able to afford a lot of cool stuff.

I liked Suncoast's Reward program. If you went often, it actually was rewarding to be a member. You saved money. And Every so often, I would recieve 5/10/15 dollar off coupons. I wasn't in the position to go to Best Buy for the cheaper prices, so the Reward points paid off in my favor.

Last edited by Duke Nukem; 01-09-2011 at 08:13 PM..
Old 01-10-2011, 12:43 AM
Oh, yeah. Suncoast had a shit ton of figures. All the movie maniac stuff by Macfarlane toys. That's were I got my gigantic Alien Queen figure. They always had lots of movie and video game figures.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:15 PM
I spent a lot of time in Suncoast, too. Although I hear that FYE bought it years ago, I now get most of my DVD's from Best Buy.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Dont miss the old ways at all. My memories are of trying to get to the damn stores before others beat me to the new rentals. As regard to the older stuff, the boxes would be on the shelf, but rarely would the movie ever be in..and when it was the tape was in piss poor condition...then on a few occasions when the tape mangles, Id freak and hope the store wouldnt track it to me after I doctored it up. The prices were high, etc. The lines were long...dont have nostalgia for that crap at all.

I use RedBox and rent online and when I buy I buy new once or twoce a year and everything else is used from gohastings.com,,,,I get my blu rays in pristine condition used and in the case anywere from $4 to $9
Old 01-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Suncoast wasn't a rental store, they sold movies and tons of different types of memorbilia. I use to buy some great classic movie posters there.

Yep, I miss it. It was fun just to browse through there.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:27 PM
It's nice to know some people miss it. I have never been one to collect posters and memorabilia, so I forgot that Suncoast had those as well. I'm stuck with having to go to "Best Buy" now too, while there there still is a good second hand store around that carries used movies. But these places are simply not the same. Only once in a while do I find something that sticks out. Suncoast was special.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:30 PM
FYE bought out Suncoast, and every one I've been in has all, or more, of the collectable stuff that you could find at Suncoast.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:34 PM
That's good to know, I'll have to check it out then.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:52 PM
Not to abondon this rant, but there isn't an FYE around me, so that it isn't an option. It's good know, though, that FYE may have took over what Suncoast did so well.

Part of me will always miss the Suncoast days, but I think talking about it in this thread may have helped a little bit. They were simpler times, and we all have our simpler times we miss. Maybe this is the turning point between material DVD's and "everything-on-line-so-we-can-become-lazy-as-a-society" after all.

Other than Best Buy, Target and a second hand store, there is a flee market with its own second hand store. I went there again the other day, saw that was nothing of interest there, and I'm glad. I got it out of my system for the time being. Maybe I'll find out over time that there really is less and less to find and see on DVD with fewer of these resources existing.

Just today, I got rid of a handful of my DVD's at the other second hand store, got $45 dollars in exchange, and cleared some space in my room. The fact that I was able to pick out 45 DVD's and not get too mixed up over keeping them is a good thing. I don't know if it's just me, but when you have so many movies, it can be tough to decide what movies to get rid of. Like being unsure if you'll ever see yourself watching one again. When some are sitting on the shelf for so long, you know it's time, but others are tougher to decide on. It felt good to get rid of 45 movies today. Now, I might be able to find shelf room for all of my movies! My room has slowly been turning into a DVD junk yard!

Last edited by Duke Nukem; 02-06-2011 at 06:08 PM..
Old 01-18-2011, 08:48 PM
I wouldn't say laziness is really the thing there, Duke. As DVDs are phased out, there will be other reasons for people to get out. You could also say that it will do more for social interactions, as people will be out of the house enjoying their media more than out of the house shopping for it.

Of course, they'll all have earbuds and their face planted in a screen.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:20 AM
There's actually still a Suncoast in the Maplewood Mall in Maplewood, MN (a suburb of Minneapolis/St. Paul). I just discovered it recently and was shocked to find it. I actually bought my buddy a lifesize cardboard cut-out of Justin Bieber from them as a joke X-mas present.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:56 AM
I miss those.

Too bad there are less places to rent video games because Gamefly really sucks.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:06 AM
I do miss Suncoast. That used to be the only reason I even went to the local mall (well, that and Sam Goody) but it's been closed for years. The closest one to me now in Asheville, NC is closing on the 28th. I'm going to try and make it there one last time before they shut the doors for good.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:59 AM
Ohhhh I really miss the good ol' Sam Goody
Old 01-28-2011, 01:56 PM
I agree with you on the mom & pop video stores. I miss those like hell.

But I don`t agree as far as Suncoast & Sam Goody are concerned. The hell with those places, they were overpriced anyway and their selection was nothing special.

FYE pretty much sucks too. At least they have a used section with reasonable prices.
Besides the fact that their name is stupid as hell (For Your Entertainment? What?), they had frickin` Death Cab For Cutie in the 'punk' section.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:16 PM
I remember SunCoast. They had one at all the malls I went to when I lived in Washington State from 1999-2000. Oddly enough, they never had one here in Jacksonville as far as I can recall. SunCoast used to be my favorite store to go into because I would see all this action figures for DBZ characters and every time I wanted to get something but being 12-13 at the time, I never had money haha.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Since getting rid of 45 DVD's and finally making room for all of my movies on my shelves, I've been getting used to the extra space in my room and haven't had much to say on this subject. It is nice to see other schmoes chime in.

I somewhat agree about the Mom & Pop stores. They were different. What you may have found was a brand new DVD selection, but also the shelf with the old VHS movies. They were watched many times over the years and every new viewing showed it with its visible grain. No matter the quality of a VHS (as long as it was reasonably watchable), I fully embraced the trip into the past with open arms. To see an old movie that has not yet made it onto DVD was magical. The quality of every movie does not always have to be "perfect" and "shiny." If VHS was the only way to see it, you easily forgave it for its age.

For better or worse, everything at Suncoast was shiny and cool with hard-to-find stuff and special features to spare. With the demands of the market, this came at a price. And enough people got tired of paying for that price. I was able pay for my things and was willing to pay for them. I didn't go out of the way for a lot of Boxsets or the special fifteenth re-release of "The Evil Dead" with every behind-the-scenes feature, right down to Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell goofing off with the cast.

Lately, I've slowed down and I feel comfortable with it. Two weeks ago, I bought "Saw: The Final Chapter" and "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" to complete those series. And this week, I felt like going back to go to the second-hand store to see if there was new junk. I found "Existenz" from 1999 by David Cronenberg with Jennifer Jason Leigh and Jude Law. I had read about it over the years, and felt like it was time to give it a shot. I also picked up "Dr. Phibes Rises Again" from 1972 with Vincent Price. I already have "The Abominable Dr. Phibes," so it makes sense. I will be watching both soon.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Lately I've been disappointed in the selection of films at Suncoast. I think it's still Suncoast.

Their foreign film selection is shit and they barely have any Criterion dvds.

I live in the midwest so I don't know if anybody here knows about CD Tradepost. Only a few states have these stores. I've gotten some good deals there on music and dvds.

Also Half Price book store has a pretty good selection of dvds and music.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Mom an'Pops, & Brick an' Mortars!

I go hunting in Gotham for Out of Production Discs, it's real sad, and telling that, the DVD hobby/business is only 14 years old, and already franchises that used to specialize in those silvered spheres of plastique, are closing up quick and permanent. My message and option is simple like, I don't and won't give my coins to wrecks like Big Lots, Best Buy, WalsMart (Nothing but Non-Union scabs anyways) Target, or BJ's, I go hunting around the boro's, been doing it for quite some time, and God has blessed me with some incredible finds! You just gotta put in some work, I'm also thinking that dropping coins to all the many drop shippers on the net, ain't doing those Mom and Pop Vid spots any damn good, If you wanna look out for your local Brick and Mortar, next time you're out looking for discs, buy from them, don't go on the keyboard, and feed hastings, or Eye Remember, or some Book Grove Jokers your hard to make coins. Remember, you're in charge on to who you keep afloat in this Vid business/Hobby
Old 05-26-2011, 09:35 PM
Right before the Suncoast closed at the Mall here about 4-5 months ago, they actually added a used section for DVD's, etc. - That was something they never had for many years, and everything there was EXTREMELY over-priced!

I also don't miss how the clerks would try to sell you on a magazine subscription, or a store membership, or try to get you to pre-order nonsense. Never cared for that upselling garbage at all.

I will say they had some cool action figures & posters though. But prior to adding the used DVD section to the store, Suncoast was absolute shit.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:14 AM
I went to Suncoast again last week and did better than expected.

One thing I don't like and other stores do this too is they don't organize their discount bins very well. It looks like they just toss the dvds in so it's hard to be able look through them. They need to organize them in rows so it's easier.

Other than that, I did well.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:50 AM
I don't think I've even bought a DvD in over 3 years. I use the netflix mail in service pretty frequently, and more often than not I'll just watch it on Netflix streaming or if it's a new release on Xbox Live. There are so many ways to get movies now. I fucking hated buying/renting dvds, good riddance.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countchocula View Post
Suncoast was nothing compared to Media Play. Now THAT is a store that I miss. Every time I went, I spent $20-$30 more than I thought I would.
YES! I used to spend sooo much money at Media Play. It was always a relaxing experience for me. It was large and I could spend hours in there just walking around and looking at movies/cds. I would go there everytime I got a paycheck. I was 19 years old and living on my own and I would turn to movies and music during my loneliest times. In fact, Media Play was the first place in my area where I could find foreign horror films.

I remember when things slowly started going downhill. My friends and I would go to pick out cds and whatnot. I remember the "singles" section getting smaller and smaller. One day, a friend of mine heard a song she liked and wanted to buy the single and when we went to look for it, the entire "singles" section was nonexistent. This was before any of us had started downloading and I remember it being a frustrating moment for her.

In fact, Media Play has been out of business in my area for about 5 years, I think, and the building is still there and not in use unless it's time for the Halloween season. It's really sad. It's like looking at a big empty hole of my early college years and reminds me of all those fond memories.

Last edited by Venus Venusia; 08-10-2011 at 10:46 PM..
Old 08-11-2011, 02:12 AM
Do you guys remember a store called Blockbuster Music?

I don't remember if they had movies, but I remember I bought a lot of used and new music from them for a while. It's also the last place I ever bought any cassettes.

I still go to Suncoast Video every few weeks to take a look. I'm still disappointed in their foreign film section, but their western selection is excellent.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:54 AM
Like vinyl making a comeback, i think the genuine geek hardware video/collectible store will make a comeback.

I'm pig sick of Best Buy and their mainstream mindset, i loathe the pathetic blu ray collection at Wal Nuts, Target is a dumping ground for shiite i wouldn't watch if you paid me ( for the most part ), Suncoast at least put on a show, even if i didn't buy anything i was entertained by just looking at what was on display.

We need some niche stores to pop up that cater to the geeks in us instead of these soulless monstrosities that pander to what joe dumbass mainstream wants , the guy who has no balls and will suffer through "How to lose a guy in 1000 years and Keep on smiling ", just to hopefully feel a female elbow .

I'm so cynical right now, i love a tangible video purchasing experience, Suncoast did that for me, i wasn't just perusing the aisles, i was settling in and enjoying what was on display.

I just about puke when i walk into these warehouses that have a special section reserved for some ambiguous special edition boxset. Yeah, it's so special, it's even wrapped in thicker plastic than the regular edition, and it comes with a trading card. Let me let you in on a little secret, i don't trade cards anymore bitch and the lights are way too fuckin bright in here to conduce me to purchase a horror movie .

Please bring back something akin to Suncoast, i don't want to stream, i don't want to download, i want to go out and experience and possibly purchase an object and leave with that object in one of my hands, maybe both.

Just a disclaimer- i do enjoy the YT thing and i watch numerous videos on that site, but they have yet to recreate the experience of Suncoast Video and other stores like it, and they never will.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:16 PM
I agree with about everything pro-Suncoast in here. Unfortunately in my lackluster neighborhood, we have never been graced with a store as novel as that which you're all describing, but even we have suffered greatly from the digital market.

There used to be a store in my area called Splitstones (it seems to be pretty low-maintenance, but I know that they branch out across some of PA and into Ohio, so perhaps some if any of you have been there). It was the bomb, well, as good as we could get for the more obscure pictures. The store was originally an independently run book shack, so there was a lot of space for dvds, vhs's, comics, and hard-worn paperback novels. You could lose yourself for days in this place! And it was all used, so you could get just about any movie for five bucks tops! I almost bought the Friday the 13th box-set for twenty dollars once, which was eighty at FYE. Let's see, I'll browse through my dvd collection to let you know what I've found from that store: Ginger Snaps: Unleashed (the first I witnessed of the series, and as some of you know, the films have made a pretty deep impact on my life), Friday the 13 Part 5, The Howling 3 Marsupials, Cat's Eye, Tales From the Crypt (original movie, vhs), and there were a lot more I can't even think of, but the point is that this place provided me with a lotta stuff I ordinarily couldn't find at the time. (Our FYE only sells remakes of the Horror legends nowadays, and their more obscure selections are...well, nonexistent) Unfortunately, Splitstones burnt down. Their business moved into a plaza, but the lot is so tiny that the selection is bare-bones. You could walk through the place and thoroughly investigate in five minutes.

Anyways, as not to go off topic (which I sorta really did), the local Borders, the only book store around my town, may I add, was recently closed. (I'm sure that Kindles and the digital book retailers didn't help, but that's another story.) From what I hear, the FYE is closing as well. If this is true, Wal-Mart will soon be the only place selling dvds in my neighborhood...That's pathetic.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:28 PM
I guess i'm lucky. I have two MovieStops near me. They both sell thousands of used dvds. I've probably bought more than half of my dvd collection from these places.
They have a foreign section, a criterion section, special interest, action, drama, comedy, romance, tv, box sets, bluray, and new release sections.
Each section has a-z used movies. I remember I got Boogie Nights for 10 bucks used. It was two disc special edition. I think it's the New Line Cinema one. I've also found numerous foreign titles that you really can't find anywhere else.
If some of you are looking for a great place to find dvds, you should look up this place and see if there is one near you.
I've spent hours in MovieStop.
I also have an FYE near me, but they have maybe 1/5th the collection that MovieStop has.
I go to FYE if i'm looking for a movie and it's not at either of the two MovieStops. Usually, in that case, it's not at FYE either. It was one time though, when I was looking for Dead Ringers.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:47 PM
I've got a store near me called Disc Exchange.

It fills the void left by Suncoast in my opinion.

But I do miss those special media stores before Gamestop and Best Buy came along.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:22 PM
I don't have too much to add that I haven't already said and preached. It's nice to see more people taking notice of this issue from time to time. Those stores some of you have mentioned sound sweet. I still miss the old-school video stores and it seems I always will. I remain pissed that the online businesses are bullying almost everything I care about out of existence (including Walmart and Barnes & Noble at some point). They should have found a way to to co-exist for the onliners and those that wanted to go out to get movies. I did smile when I found out that Netflix was screwing its customers looking for DVDs by mail. Now they know how I felt when they took away my precious Suncoast Videos and Ma & Pop places.

My biggest source of movies nowadays are the movie conventions. There were two Monster Mania Con's earlier in the year, and there are two more. The next con is next weekend. I bought a lot of movies from the last convention and have six movies remaining, so I'm still good. Another good way to get your hands on older movies are those boxsets containing 50 movies. 50 movies for $15. I just bought two boxsets, with movies ranging from 1920's to `80's. Some classics and probably some crap. But you never know what will turn up and surprise you.

Last edited by Duke Nukem; 08-11-2011 at 07:28 PM..
Old 08-14-2011, 03:16 PM
maybe I'm alone in this, but again I have no desire to go out and buy movies. I am happy to sift through netflix, find what I want and wait a day to get it, or if i NEED to watch it find it on Zune/just watch it in shitty quality online (dunno but it's never bothered me)