Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2011, 10:20 PM
I totally miss video stores! I used to love to check out what everyone else was renting
Old 09-09-2011, 09:38 AM
I thankfully live in a town that still has a good old fashioned mom and pop video store. Upstairs is the video games and genre flicks, downstairs are the new releases. What's really great is I've been going there forever and I can get the promotional posters and I've even talked the owner into selling me some vintage VHS cases in the past. Good times!
Old 09-10-2011, 07:21 PM
I miss more then anything the mom n' pop ages! never coming back, but the memories never leave from the 'good old days'. the internet/streaming stuff has seriously downgraded some fun aspects of movie going.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:01 AM
see this is exactly why I am slowly beginning to purchase all the movies I could ever need from amazon or other stores I come across, the digital/electronic movement is sweeping it all away until everything is on a file for download from your television or computer set.

Not me, I want my fucking movies in a dvd case, box sets while they'll still here, because that's the ultimate reward for a filmmaker, I honor my idols
Old 12-05-2011, 02:29 AM
Ahhh the mom n pop video stores. A better time where there was no worries about picture quality, you knew you were going to be entertained for 1 dollar for each vhs. My mom n pop store was called Aardvark Video and they sold everything posters, vhs, games and freshly popped popcorn .
Old 12-29-2011, 03:20 PM
It's nice to see that more of you feel my pain for the loss of video stores.

blknge89, I hear you. I want my movies in their own cases and boxsets. I am a hunter and want my prized possessions sitting on shelves.

XCoryX, I would be okay with the internet/streaming nonsense and all the new bullcrap if it just co-existed with video stores. But apparently not. Only 10% of the population still seem to understand the thrill of going on adventure in a video store and discovering a hidden gem at random. Organized searches on the web do not produce the same results. Sometimes, you don't know what you're looking for. You're simply looking for something you haven't seen or have forgotten/overlooked, and online searches can't give you that.

PSU80, you should kiss the cement paved before that video store and thank the heavens for it still being there. Consider yourself lucky. I envy you.

My nostalgia for video stores, and other simple pleasures no longer around, is always there and on/off. During my last birthday, I experienced an early-life crisis over it and recovered. It was on and off during Christmas. Thank goodness Best Buy and Barnes & Noble were/are still around for shopping need. I remain concerned over whether they'll be around next Christmas. Time will tell. Now that Christmas has passed, things will return to normal for a while.

Last edited by Duke Nukem; 12-29-2011 at 08:54 PM..
Old 12-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blknge89 View Post
see this is exactly why I am slowly beginning to purchase all the movies I could ever need from amazon or other stores I come across, the digital/electronic movement is sweeping it all away until everything is on a file for download from your television or computer set.

Not me, I want my fucking movies in a dvd case, box sets while they'll still here, because that's the ultimate reward for a filmmaker, I honor my idols
I completely agree with you 100%. I don't want everything to be 100% digital. I fear/will loathe the day that becomes a reality. Music, movies, tv shows, etc. all digitized with nothing to show for it. Fuck that horse-shit!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:08 PM
I have some fond if vague memories of Suncoast, though I have to say that FYE has largely filled the same niche. Count me among those saddened by the loss of Media Play. There wasn't one near me (Youngstown, OH) when I was growing up, so the only one I ever went to very often was in Columbus. For me, it was heaven: books, movies, video games. Heck, if there was a way to live there, I probably would have begged my parents to consider it.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:48 PM
All these mentions of Media Play. Too bad I missed out of going there. I was lucky to move in 1997, and suddenly be able to ride my bike to the mall where Suncoast was. After plenty of mom and pop stores before the move, Suncoast (as well as a new mom and pop store) became this wonderful place during the VHS days before 2000 and DVD's afterwards. Between that and the mom and pop store, that was my life up until 2006 and then 2007 when both disappeared. Since then, the nostalgia has never went away and never will, as chronicled in this thread. Nowadays, a horror convention in my state is my only answer. I recently attended another convention and have plenty of movies to keep the nostalgia away for a while.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:00 AM
the retirement home found the joblo forums, neat
Old 08-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Are we talking about the VHS or dvd stores
I konw l am dumb for saying this but ; had to ask

Well if we are talking about VHS movies l know they sell them still in second hand shops

i still have my VHS recorder and sometimes pick up a video or two for around 5 dollars or even cheaper than that
Old 08-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald View Post
the retirement home found the joblo forums, neat
Indeed. Haha. I can confirm something. It is possible to feel like you were born too late. I shouldn't be 20-something. I feel like an middle-age person who ought to have the memories of the `70's, `80's, disco era and early VHS days. I am almost completely disconnected from the online world and the iTechology crap (all except for this original website). So, yes, Bondgirl, this thread has concerned DVD's found in forgotten megastores like Suncoast and the obscure VHS movies found in the dead-and-buried mom and pop stores.

Last edited by Duke Nukem; 08-25-2012 at 05:13 PM..