Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-26-2011, 11:07 AM
When people get the title slightly wrong.

This one goes out to Sherrie:


One thing I've noticed, especially since it's such a buzzed about movie, is that many people have been calling "Black Swan" by the name "The Black Swan." What's with the added "the" in there? It's not "THE Inception" is it?

Also, people have been calling "The Kids Are All Right" "The Kids Are Alright" too. The "All" and the "Right" are separate, people! Let's all get that right, alright???

It all really bugs me.

Is it petty to complain about that? Maybe. But it's like, for God's sake, it takes two seconds to check IMDb for the right title if you have even the tiniest inkling of a doubt about it. If you're having a casual conversation or something, it's okay, we all have our slips, but if you're on a forum, or blog, or whatever, and you're trying to make an argument like for example "I didn't really like 'The Winter Bone,' I thought it was boring and pretentious."

How is anyone supposed to take you seriously when you can't get the damn title right? Why should anyone listen to what you have to say when you're too lazy of a motherfucker to fucking google the fucking movie just in fucking case for fuck's sake?

Last edited by Derek237; 01-26-2011 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-26-2011, 11:11 AM
I've run into this problem quite a bit in my store. When Paul Blart: Mall Cop hit DVD, more than a few customers went straight to the "M" movies to look for it, since they thought it was just called Mall Cop. But the kicker is that after telling them the full title and saying it's in the "P" section, a lot of these customers said, "Well, that's stupid."

Yes. It's the movie's fault that you don't know what its title is.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-26-2011, 11:24 AM
I used to do this intentionally to one co-worker. She would always recap Seinfeld to me, and I didn't follow the show. Every Friday she would give me a full recount of the show, as if she were telling an elaborate joke. Eventually, I started constantly referring to her watching "The Seinfeld." I'd see her and say, "Are you watching The Seinfeld tonight?" or I would say, "Oh Sherrie, she really likes The Seinfeld." This eventually evolved into me using "The" in front of other things like, "Oh, so this was The Kramer who did that? Ah, okay so then what did The Elaine do?"

Craziest part? I could tell that she would notice every time I did this, yet she never said a goddamned word about it.

It is for this reason that I hope you will do this one thing for me Derek237 - please help provide me a sense of cosmic closure on this matter and dedicate your rant to Sherrie. The Postmaster General will thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-26-2011, 01:13 PM
My mother calls Lord of the Rings, Lord of the Reigns.

It drives me batshit fucking crazy! It doesn't even make sense!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-26-2011, 01:39 PM
The worst for me is when people say "Momento." Even like die-hard film buffs. Momento. What the FUCK, people. Is it that hard to say Memento?!?!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-26-2011, 01:50 PM
Back when Titanic was released I kept hearing people calling it "The Titanic" (I believe it was even the original title for the film.)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. Hakari View Post
I've run into this problem quite a bit in my store. When Paul Blart: Mall Cop hit DVD, more than a few customers went straight to the "M" movies to look for it, since they thought it was just called Mall Cop. But the kicker is that after telling them the full title and saying it's in the "P" section, a lot of these customers said, "Well, that's stupid."

Yes. It's the movie's fault that you don't know what its title is.
^ This. I worked at a video store when this movie came out, and the day it came out my manager even had it listed in the computer as MALL COP. I was so irked by this that I went behind her back and corrected it, removed all of the stickers from our rental cases, printed out new ones that said PAUL BLART: MALL COP, and moved every copy two shelves over to their proper place.

It didn't matter, though. As soon as that flick was released in theaters, and for months after its video release, I had idiots coming into the store asking "You got that MALL COP?" And when I'd say "Yeah, PAUL BLART, it's in the 'P' section", they looked at me like I was retarded.

And then asked me where the "P" section was.

I'm sorry, but if you're going to go out of your way to seek out such a shitty, retarded movie, you should have to call it by its full, shitty, retarded title, no matter how shitty or retarded that title may be.

Last edited by ColonelColinCaine; 01-27-2011 at 11:32 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-28-2011, 12:53 PM
I once read a trivia question on a restaurant menu (gimmick) asking about my favorite movie. I knew the answer instantly: Unforgiven. I look at the back page of the menu and it said the answer was The Unforgiven. That irritated the hell out of me - firstly because they got the name of the movie wrong, secondly because there is a movie called The Unforgiven starring Burt Lancaster.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-29-2011, 01:51 AM
Paul Blart is a good movie. There, I said it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Yeah, it's annoying when people add articles to a movie title that aren't there.

"THE Black Swan" is 1942 swashbuckling flick starring Tyrone Power.

"THE Unforgiven," as bigred pointed out, is a 1960 Western starring Burt Lancaster (it's also a Metallica song ).

"The Kids Are ALRIGHT" is a song by The Who (yes, in Britain they generally spell 'all right' as one word).

And "Momento" is the Spanish word for 'moment.'

I don't even know what the fuck 'The Seinfeld' or "The Winter's Bone" are.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-30-2011, 12:58 PM
My brother called it "The Kids Aren't Right" the other day...

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-30-2011, 01:19 PM
You guys are fucking sensitive.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-30-2011, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
You guys are fucking sensitive.
Nah... just a little OCD.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-31-2011, 12:33 AM
Welcome to my world.

After selling tickets at a movie theater for 16+ years, it never ceases to amaze me how getting something so simple (knowing/saying the movie title) is fucked up by so many. And the weird thing is that most people make the same mistake.

For instance:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo... sweet fucking Christ, no one could get this right. I had people coming up saying "The Girl with the Golden Tattoo" or "The Girl with the Green Tattoo" over and over. Most people just called it "The Dragon Lady" ... What. The. Fuck???

Or, flashback to 1998, when we had Six Days and Seven Nights... well, just go ahead and fuck that title to death. Most people didn't even try and say it. They just threw up their arms and acted all tongue tied as if I asked them to read German or some shit. How fucking hard is it?

One time there was two ladies who showed up. The first one actually said it right, but her friend was a dumb cunt and thought she said it wrong. Then she said: "Well, I want one for Seven Days and Six Nights." As if to say to her friend "oh, ho, ho. You stupid, senile bitch. Can't you do anything right?"

And the first one was all liked "Oh, I can never get these things right." And they just laughed it off.

LAUGHED IT OFF.

As if the stupid old hag who was wrong was actually right!

Fucking bullshit.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-31-2011, 08:41 PM
Back in college I sadly ended up seeing Dick, starring Dan Hedaya and the actress formerly known as Mary Jane Watson since what I wanted to see was sold out. Because I didn't want to say "one for Dick, please," at the box office, I requested a ticket to "the Richard Nixon movie." The theater guy laughed and sold me a ticket. Man, I want that money back really badly.

But getting moving titles wrong drives me insane. Much like when people give directions or discuss traffic and put "the" in front of the interstate/highway number. Annoying.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Sometimes referring to a movie by its actual title can be laborious. How many asked for a ticket to "Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire?"
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-26-2011, 11:11 PM

I was definitely being nerdy fanboyish but I would get slightly miffed everytime someone called it JASON vs FREDDY. I also remember when I used to work at the theatre customers would call the film Spy Games instead of Spy Game. Isn't the first Rambo film actually called First Blood? Most people don't even realize it's true title.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-26-2011, 11:42 PM
I've heard everything when I worked P/T at Blockbuster. I mean. EVERYTHING.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Lately, I've had customers asking me, "Do you have any of that Little Red Riding Hood?"

...

Next time someone asks, I'll look them straight in the face and go, "Nope."
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-29-2011, 09:50 PM
I know it's stupid to get worked up about this stuff, but I do. The worst is when people just automatically put an "s" at the end of every title.

Blue Valentines
Full Metal Jackets
School of Rocks
American Gangsters
The Social Networks
Magnolias

I know people that do this for everything. Movies, stores, restaurants, bars, you name it.

"I picked up a copy of No Country for Old Mens at Blockbusters and on the way back I picked up a burger at Burger Kings"

Fucking kill me.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-30-2011, 12:14 AM
It's a Jersey thing.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-30-2011, 11:39 AM
When The Dark Knight was released on DVD/Blu I secretly wished I worked at a rental store so I could direct people to pick up Batman(1989) when they inevitably asked for the Batman movie.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Seriously, fucking sensitive. Relax.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-30-2011, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenkiller View Post
I was definitely being nerdy fanboyish but I would get slightly miffed everytime someone called it JASON vs FREDDY. I also remember when I used to work at the theatre customers would call the film Spy Games instead of Spy Game. Isn't the first Rambo film actually called First Blood? Most people don't even realize it's true title.
No no no...you know what's even worse is that most people don't realize that A Nightmare On Elm Street is "That movie based off of Freddy Vs. Jason." I swear to Baphometh that people honestly believed the ANOES remake was the first ever Freddy Krueger movie, and that the original their parents spoke of was actually that. They don't even $#@*&%#@#$^&* realize what a remake or a sequel is!!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-01-2011, 03:45 PM
I can still remember proudly asking for one ticket to "The Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford please." Made me smile. The guy commented that I was the first person to ask for the whole title.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopontheshoes7 View Post
My mother calls Lord of the Rings, Lord of the Reigns.

It drives me batshit fucking crazy! It doesn't even make sense!
If that was my mum I'd give her a slap all the way from Mordor.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Who here besides myself loves Derek's Shining Avatar?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-18-2011, 02:06 AM
We've got a new one, people.

"Hey, how was that Battlefield: Los Angeles?"

I dunno. If you find a copy, lemme know if it's any good.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Yeah, people are dicks for not realizing the full name of a movie. Or you guys are waaaay to fucking sensitive to go outside and interact with humans. I worked in a movie store for five years, and I completely understand the customer's frustration sometimes. Who cares if they call it Mall Cop? The person who had a manager that put it under Mall Cop has a smart manager. Too bad you tried to "correct" their idiocy.

People don't spend all day on the internet trying to figure out full names to movies.

If someone came into my store and said "do you have Rambo?" My response? "Sure, which one?"

"Oh, the first one."

And I'd take them right to it without a second thought. This rant thread is LAME!

Edit: Well on second thought, I guess I hate it too. Like when people used to come in and ask if we had "Bourne Identity" and I was like "no. If that movie comes out tell me about it though. We have The Bourne Identity though."

"Oh, so it's under "T"?"

"No...it's under "B", duh. You don't alphabetize by articles."

Or another one that always irked me was when they'd be like "Do you have Team America?"

And I'd be like "no. We have a movie called Team America: World Police. You know what you jackasses, if you can't do simple research before coming into MY store then you can't rent here. Give me your card, I'm cutting it up."

Or when they were like "Do you have X-files?"

"NO! It's THE X-files. There are no other "X-files", they are preceded with the article "The" to signify that they are a single unit of files."

So stupid.

Last edited by SteeleDude; 07-24-2011 at 11:47 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-25-2011, 10:19 AM


You're mocking me, aren't you?
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-25-2011, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleDude View Post
Yeah, people are dicks for not realizing the full name of a movie. Or you guys are waaaay to fucking sensitive to go outside and interact with humans. I worked in a movie store for five years, and I completely understand the customer's frustration sometimes. Who cares if they call it Mall Cop? The person who had a manager that put it under Mall Cop has a smart manager. Too bad you tried to "correct" their idiocy.

People don't spend all day on the internet trying to figure out full names to movies.

If someone came into my store and said "do you have Rambo?" My response? "Sure, which one?"

"Oh, the first one."

And I'd take them right to it without a second thought. This rant thread is LAME!

Edit: Well on second thought, I guess I hate it too. Like when people used to come in and ask if we had "Bourne Identity" and I was like "no. If that movie comes out tell me about it though. We have The Bourne Identity though."

"Oh, so it's under "T"?"

"No...it's under "B", duh. You don't alphabetize by articles."

Or another one that always irked me was when they'd be like "Do you have Team America?"

And I'd be like "no. We have a movie called Team America: World Police. You know what you jackasses, if you can't do simple research before coming into MY store then you can't rent here. Give me your card, I'm cutting it up."

Or when they were like "Do you have X-files?"

"NO! It's THE X-files. There are no other "X-files", they are preceded with the article "The" to signify that they are a single unit of files."

So stupid.
It's not like it takes forever to find out what the name is of the movie you're wanting to spend money renting or buying. Why would you want to spend on on something that you only partly know the name of?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-29-2011, 04:32 AM
This kind of thing doesn't usually bother me, but I was reading a Screenwriters guide book, and the author seriously fucks up some names.

Ya know Jimmy Stewart? She types him up as Jimmy Steward...

The movie "A History of Violence" is referred to as "The History of Violence"..

When some random dude on the street calls it "The History of Violence" I think nothing of it.
When it's a published book about screenwriting and the author(who is supposed to be teaching me something) messes up names of famous actors and movies, well, thats just frustrating.

I just skimmed through the book, and these are two things that i've noticed already. I'm sure theres more mistakes to be found.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Can someone clear something up for me?

Is it School of Rock or THE School of Rock...I've aways called it the first one but at the beginning of the film the opening credits says "The School of Rock" with the neon sign in the music club? As someone who always tries to say or write the proper title this has always bugged me!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-31-2011, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck Bond View Post
Can someone clear something up for me?

Is it School of Rock or THE School of Rock...I've aways called it the first one but at the beginning of the film the opening credits says "The School of Rock" with the neon sign in the music club? As someone who always tries to say or write the proper title this has always bugged me!
It is School of Rock. For some reason I know this. When they made the opening sequence, it was called The School of Rock. But they wanted to change it. Jack Black makes a joke in the commentary that "it's not called THE Titanic..." or something.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-02-2011, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Welcome to my world.

After selling tickets at a movie theater for 16+ years, it never ceases to amaze me how getting something so simple (knowing/saying the movie title) is fucked up by so many. And the weird thing is that most people make the same mistake.

For instance:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo... sweet fucking Christ, no one could get this right. I had people coming up saying "The Girl with the Golden Tattoo" or "The Girl with the Green Tattoo" over and over. Most people just called it "The Dragon Lady" ... What. The. Fuck???

Or, flashback to 1998, when we had Six Days and Seven Nights... well, just go ahead and fuck that title to death. Most people didn't even try and say it. They just threw up their arms and acted all tongue tied as if I asked them to read German or some shit. How fucking hard is it?

One time there was two ladies who showed up. The first one actually said it right, but her friend was a dumb cunt and thought she said it wrong. Then she said: "Well, I want one for Seven Days and Six Nights." As if to say to her friend "oh, ho, ho. You stupid, senile bitch. Can't you do anything right?"

And the first one was all liked "Oh, I can never get these things right." And they just laughed it off.

LAUGHED IT OFF.

As if the stupid old hag who was wrong was actually right!

Fucking bullshit.
THIS made me LoL for real! Great stuff bro.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-02-2011, 01:15 AM
I'll never forget when a friend and I went to the movies and saw a poster for The Reaping and my friend thought it said The Rapeing.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-18-2011, 08:15 PM
For the longest time I called that upcoming movie The Rum Diary by the name of, "Rum Diaries."
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-18-2011, 10:42 PM
People keep mistaking Drive for Driver now. Or The Driver. Get it right people
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojib127 View Post
Yeah, it's annoying when people add articles to a movie title that aren't there.

"THE Black Swan" is 1942 swashbuckling flick starring Tyrone Power.

"THE Unforgiven," as bigred pointed out, is a 1960 Western starring Burt Lancaster (it's also a Metallica song ).

"The Kids Are ALRIGHT" is a song by The Who (yes, in Britain they generally spell 'all right' as one word).

And "Momento" is the Spanish word for 'moment.'

I don't even know what the fuck 'The Seinfeld' or "The Winter's Bone" are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectRatio1986 View Post
My brother called it "The Kids Aren't Right" the other day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo... sweet fucking Christ, no one could get this right. I had people coming up saying "The Girl with the Golden Tattoo" or "The Girl with the Green Tattoo" over and over. Most people just called it "The Dragon Lady" ... What. The. Fuck???
This doesn't bother me that much, but I do have to say I got a great laugh out of some of these misremembered titles. The Girl with the Green/Golden Tatoo and The Kids Aren't Right are actually rather funny. The thing bigred mentioned about the menu trivia is bothersome. If they're going to do a trivia gimmick, at least get the answer right.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-06-2012, 05:51 PM
When the movie "Resident Evil: __________" is released in theaters next week, I'll be telling the ticketholder, "One for 'Resident Evil 5,' _:__ show." That's what it basically is, fancy title or not. I like them all, except Part 2. Such a disappointment. I do that with all franshise movies still hanging around. It is the most sensible thing to do and ticketholders get it.

Last year, when I went to see "Apollo 18," I had some fun and told the ticketholder, "One for 'The Blair Witch Project: In Space'." The ticketholder didn't get it and the people in line behind me were like "What?" I corrected them and we all had a good laugh. That movie, while decently entertaining, looked like and basically is "Blair Witch" in space.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump