Old 02-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Favorite Smarmy TV Characters

You love to hate 'em. Sometimes though, they're so awesome that you just love 'em.

E. B. Farnum (William Sanderson), Deadwood

My god, what a little fucking prick. This fuckin' guy....this fuckin' guy....Goddamn. And the show's over, so we can't even see him get what he deserved. Fuckin' limberdick cocksucker. Probably William Sanderson's best role though, imo.

Dr. Gaius Baltar (James Callis), Battlestar Galactica

I'm only a season and a half into the series, but this fuckin' guy deserves some kind of award in this category. He dooms all of mankind over a hot a chick, and that's before the series even really gets started. But, he's totally fun to watch and I'm curious to see where he goes and whether he finally get a comeuppance for all the shit he's already done.

Nathan (Robert Sheeham), Misfits

Oh, Nathan...you're such an asshole, but you're a hilarious asshole. Unlike Baltar or Farnum, Nathan is actually a "hero," but also a sex fiend with questionable morals. Also, the character is pretty central to the series as actor Sheeham has so much undeniable screen presence. I'd punch him in the face, but then I'd buy him a pint. Can't wait for series 3...

Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk), Breaking Bad

Great, great character and perfect addition to the series. When you get busted for dealing meth, you don't need a criminal lawyer, you need a criminal lawyer. Bob Odenkirk, who's always been hilarious and a great comedic writer, happens into his best role to date (and I believe his only re-occuring one), giving him some of the best lines on the show. Even though he comes off as a soul-less prick who'd sell his own mother's house while she was still in it, but we learned toward the end of season 3 that Saul does have some loyalty. Wanna make more money and keep the money you make? Better call Saul!

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 07-08-2012 at 11:14 PM..
Old 02-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Arvin Sloane (Ron Rifkin), Alias

Benjamin Linus (Michael Emerson), LOST

Last edited by The_Soloist; 02-01-2011 at 05:26 PM..
Old 02-01-2011, 05:49 PM

Last edited by outsyder; 02-01-2011 at 09:31 PM..
Old 02-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Smiert, I just see your avatar and imagine Al yelling "Fuckin' EB!" Too perfect.

Ashur (Nick Tarabay) from Spartacus: Blood and Sand

Old 02-02-2011, 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Soloist View Post
Arvin Sloane (Ron Rifkin), Alias

Benjamin Linus (Michael Emerson), LOST

These two plus add to them Charles Logan from 24.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:44 AM
Dean Winters as Mayhem

and Mike McGlone as the Geico spokesman

Old 02-03-2011, 12:48 AM
Charles Logan (Gregory Itzin), 24

Lionel Luthor (John Glover), Smallville

I love Lionel Luthor. He's such a villian, but also a great character. And a badass. Love John Glover's portrayal of him.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
You love to hate 'em. Sometimes though, they're so awesome that you just love 'em.

Dr. Gaius Baltar (James Callis), Battlestar Galactica

I'm only a season and a half into the series, but this fuckin' guy deserves some kind of award in this category. He dooms all of mankind over a hot a chick, and that's before the series even really gets started. But, he's totally fun to watch and I'm curious to see where he goes and whether he finally get a comeuppance for all the shit he's already done.

Nathan (Robert Sheeham), Misfits

Oh, Nathan...you're such an asshole, but you're a hilarious asshole. Unlike Baltar or Farnum, Nathan is actually a "hero," but also a sex fiend with questionable morals. Also, the character is pretty central to the series as actor Sheeham has so much undeniable screen presence. I'd punch him in the face, but then I'd buy him a pint. Can't wait for series 3...
Agreed! Nathan is one of my favourite characters. He just really grew on me by the end of the second series. So funny. EB was pretty good too, but he just annoyed me more than anything, I liked Richardson better, but he wasn't really Smarmy... just stupid. >.<
Old 02-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Maurice Levy - The Wire

Old 02-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Good call, Scarface.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:18 AM
I have no idea who any of these characters are except the Geico and Mayhem guy.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:22 AM
If you haven't seen The Wire, Breaking Bad, Misfits, LOST, Battlestar Galactica, It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia, or Deadwood, then Christ, you're missing out.

You have a lot of catching up to do, sir...

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 02-09-2011 at 09:12 AM..
Old 07-08-2012, 10:03 PM

Cock. Sucker.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:38 AM
Miles (David Clennon) from thirtysomething!!!
Old 07-09-2012, 09:04 AM
I double down on pretty much everyone else's choices, especially Saul ("Ehhnnnt! What are you doin', Detective, what are you doin' talkin' to my client without me present? You Sneaky Pete!"). Plus...

Charlie Pace (Dominic Monaghan), LOST

"I'da guessed C's, actually... ... Sorry."

Vince Masuka (C.S. Lee), Dexter

"Hey Morgan, you wanna see something swell? Come a little closer."

...and I really, really can't believe no one has NOT mentioned:

Dr. Gregory House (Hugh Laurie), House

"There's no I in 'team'. There is a me, though, if you jumble it up."
Old 07-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Is Jeff Winger smarmy? I'm gonna go with Jeff Winger.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsyder View Post
Him and this man are the perfect smarmy assholes

Old 07-09-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsyder View Post
Hands down my favorite
Old 07-09-2012, 02:49 PM
My favorite smarmy character is FBI Agent Albert Rosenfield from Twin Peaks. Miguel Ferrer OWNS in this role.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface98.9 View Post
Maurice Levy - The Wire

"Me? I wouldn't wipe my ass with a Baltimore lawyer." - Jimmy McNulty

I would add Clayton LeBouef's Col. George Barnfather, who was less interested in quality policework than he was in asses, as in covering his and kissing the ones above him in the BPD heirarchy.

Still...had a certain style and presence.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syxxpac View Post
I double down on pretty much everyone else's choices, especially Saul ("Ehhnnnt! What are you doin', Detective, what are you doin' talkin' to my client without me present? You Sneaky Pete!"). Plus...

Charlie Pace (Dominic Monaghan), LOST

"I'da guessed C's, actually... ... Sorry."

Vince Masuka (C.S. Lee), Dexter

"Hey Morgan, you wanna see something swell? Come a little closer."

...and I really, really can't believe no one has NOT mentioned:

Dr. Gregory House (Hugh Laurie), House

"There's no I in 'team'. There is a me, though, if you jumble it up."
Why is Charlie smarmy? If anyone from Lost is smarmy I would say Sawyer in the early episodes. Of course he becomes a better person as the show develops. But he was pretty smarmy in the early goings.

And I wouldn't call House smarmy either.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:33 PM
We might have to define "smarmy".

For me, the definition of smarmy is:

Captain Hammer

Sadly, this isn't from "TV" per se.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Indeed. I think I've been tripped up a bit with the definition, which I always associate with slippery, sarcastic little bastards, though it's actually not quite that, and has more to do with someone being a calculating and manipulative, slippery, sarcastic little bastard. In the truest sense of the word, I guess my choices aren't the greatest examples, BUT, if that's the case, I don't think Sawyer is any more qualified than Charlie for the list.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syxxpac View Post
someone being a calculating and manipulative, slippery, sarcastic little bastard.
In that case, George Costanza. Definitely calculating and manipulative (pretending to be blind to get a book on tape), and certainly slipper and sarcastic. And also, freakin hilarious.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:08 AM
I think almost virtually ALL of the characters in Revenge can be described as smarmy, with the exception of a few (Daniel, Charlotte, Jack, Declan). And they are all pretty much awesome. Except for the Tyler character. He sucks. If I had to choose just one, it'd be Conrad. Henry Czerny is such an awesome actor. Nolan is great too.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:43 AM
Great list! Favorite smarm listed "Better call Saul!" The smarmy guy you love to love.

I loved Sawyer and Charlie!

Had forgotten about Miles from Thirtysomething! Lol

You guys covered so many good smarmy guys I'm left with the original smarmy kid:

Eddie Haskell - Leave it to Beaver. I'd call him a smarm in training except he had it down pretty well at his young age.

Oops, I did something wrong trying to attach pic. Wll have to figure that out later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	10694  

Last edited by Glinda; 10-03-2012 at 02:46 AM..