Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Video Games
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2011, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosimo View Post
ah man Skyrim is freezing often on PS3
That sucks dude, luckily it hasn't happened to me yet (knocking on the dude who sets in the cube next to me head)
Old 11-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ed View Post
AHHHH Now that makes sense! I thought it was the other way around, and that just made no sense to me. I got ya now. Why does it say in the tutorial when you first pull it up that you can save the perk points to spend it on something then? That's what threw me for a ride.
They let you do that so you don't have to spend the point when you get it. Like myself i'm specializing in 6 skills but if i'm not at a required Skill lvl to spend in one of the 6 trees (this will happen from time to time once you've bought up the first tier full) then you can save it and spend it in the tree you want later when you've lvl'd that skill enough.

This is a greatly improved system over the tedium that was Morrowind and Oblivion's lvling system.

Quote:
Do you know a quick way to make some money besides selling items? I want to buy that place in Whiterun so I can store some of my good items, but I need some more cash flow!
Take up Black Smithing. You can find Iron ore and ingots with decent regularity and by crafting the items you sell you will also work towards your lvling up. You don't get a whole lot of gold aside from the breast plates but its better then just finding stuff to sell.

Aside form that no not really. I've bought a house already and i pretty much just had to do a handful of mission and not spend and gold in between.

OH! Dragon Scales and Bones are pretty pricey and you get a handful of both whenever you kill a dragon, i made a bunch of money of those. At this point though i'll be saving at least the scales as the last tier of craftable armor is Dragon Armor and i'm betting you need at least the scales as mats.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosimo View Post
ah man Skyrim is freezing often on PS3
Honestly I think this may be an issue with acual PS3's and not the game. Fallout New Vegas was a freeze monster for me on the PS3 but this on PC has be running smoothly. I'm thinking Bethesda's coding doesn't like the PS3, lol.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Can someone tell me how to buy a house? :/ I went to Riften and I was told by a guard that there was a house for sale and to talk to the town steward. However when I talked to the town steward, there was no house buying option :/.
Are there any other towns to buy houses in? I have about 7,000 gold, and i'm fairly certain that should be enough to buy a house. I
Old 11-14-2011, 11:33 PM
Never mind, I bought one. I guess you have to become the Thane first?
Old 11-15-2011, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
Never mind, I bought one. I guess you have to become the Thane first?
Yeah i was about to tell you this, heh. Also once you are a thane you should travel to all the other cities via the travel wagon near the stables. Do it from the city you are a thane in and it reduces the travel costs by about 90%! Normally to travel regularly its anywhere from 200-500 gold a shot but if you travel from a city that you're a thane of it's 20-50 gold a shot.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
Yeah i was about to tell you this, heh. Also once you are a thane you should travel to all the other cities via the travel wagon near the stables. Do it from the city you are a thane in and it reduces the travel costs by about 90%! Normally to travel regularly its anywhere from 200-500 gold a shot but if you travel from a city that you're a thane of it's 20-50 gold a shot.
Hmm that's interesting. The traveling always only costs me 20-50. I wonder if it's a glitch?
I can travel from any city for only 20-50. I'm the thane of whiterun. But I usually travel from solitude. And It's only 20-50 there. Could it be because I'm a Nord or something?
Old 11-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Hmm that's interesting. The traveling always only costs me 20-50. I wonder if it's a glitch?
I can travel from any city for only 20-50. I'm the thane of whiterun. But I usually travel from solitude. And It's only 20-50 there. Could it be because I'm a Nord or something?
Not sure, all i know was that i travelled from Riftin one time and it said it wasin the hundreds and i noticed it at one or two others as well, maybe Winterhold. But back at Whiterun it was only 20 or 50 gold to travel.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Not sure, all i know was that i travelled from Riftin one time and it said it wasin the hundreds and i noticed it at one or two others as well, maybe Winterhold. But back at Whiterun it was only 20 or 50 gold to travel.
Interesting. I'm not sure what causes this. It's got me wondering. Maybe it's a guild benefit? This is interesting.

btw, what do you play as. I'm sort of a mage, with a bit of archer in there. It works nicely for me.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Interesting. I'm not sure what causes this. It's got me wondering. Maybe it's a guild benefit? This is interesting.

btw, what do you play as. I'm sort of a mage, with a bit of archer in there. It works nicely for me.
I picked a Nord (i've always played Nord since Morrowind) and am going as a basic melee fighter with some Restoration magic tossed in. I always like to play a sort of melee type class unless it a modern game and guns are everywhere.

I' specializing (only spending perk points in) Heavy Armor, Blocking, One handed, Smithing, Restoration and Speech.

Just crafted my full set of Orcish armor last night and it's pretty cool looking though i prefer the look of the Dwarven armor which also is something form Morrowind. They look a lot like the guards in Vivec and i would always kill one and steal their stuff cause it looked bad ass. Actually now that i think of it the green and black of the Glass armor from Morrowind looked the best, wonder how it looks in Skyrim.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:22 PM
That reminds me, I'm kind of annoyed they got rid of the pants option. You pick a top option and it automatically gives you pants. Not choice. It's not that big of a deal, but it does bother me a bit.

Also, I need to start smithing. You can create weapons and armor from scratch basically? all you need is ingredients? That sounds awesome. Can you smith at any smelter?
Old 11-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Also, I need to start smithing. You can create weapons and armor from scratch basically? all you need is ingredients? That sounds awesome. Can you smith at any smelter?
Yeah you just need the mats and be at a Forge. The mats are usually 1-4 Leather strips and 1-3 or the type of ingot per piece. Once you get into the Perk sets you may have to toss in an extra Iron ingot with each piece.

You get ingots by smelting the raw ore at a Smelting station (which is different from a Forge but often found in the same place). Leather strips you get from rendering Leather which you get from a Tanning station with fur pelts. Depending on the type of pelt you'll get anywhere between 1-4 pieces of Leather which then get rendered into 4 Leather Strips per piece of Leather.

From what i've noticed Light Armor uses Leather while Heavy Armor uses Leather Strips.

For my Orcish set (Armor, Helm, Gauntlets, Boots, Shield, Sword and Bow) cost me roughly 12 Leather Strips, 25 Orichillion Ingots and 7 Iron Ingots all together. Add another 7 Orichillion Ingots to sharpen/improve all 7 pieces at a Grind Stone or Armor Table after they are crafted.

If i recall my current armor rating in the full set is something like 224!
Old 11-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Yeah you just need the mats and be at a Forge. The mats are usually 1-4 Leather strips and 1-3 or the type of ingot per piece. Once you get into the Perk sets you may have to toss in an extra Iron ingot with each piece.

You get ingots by smelting the raw ore at a Smelting station (which is different from a Forge but often found in the same place). Leather strips you get from rendering Leather which you get from a Tanning station with fur pelts. Depending on the type of pelt you'll get anywhere between 1-4 pieces of Leather which then get rendered into 4 Leather Strips per piece of Leather.

From what i've noticed Light Armor uses Leather while Heavy Armor uses Leather Strips.

For my Orcish set (Armor, Helm, Gauntlets, Boots, Shield, Sword and Bow) cost me roughly 12 Leather Strips, 25 Orichillion Ingots and 7 Iron Ingots all together. Add another 7 Orichillion Ingots to sharpen/improve all 7 pieces at a Grind Stone or Armor Table after they are crafted.

If i recall my current armor rating in the full set is something like 224!
That's insane! and awesome. Do you know if you can make glass armor? I loved glass armor in Morrowind and Oblivion.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Quote:
That's insane! and awesome. Do you know if you can make glass armor? I loved glass armor in Morrowind and Oblivion.
Yeah i believe the Glass is the highest tier of Light Armor and is the last tier in on the Light armor side in the Smithing Perk tree.

Actually come to think of it the Dragon Armor might be the final tier and Glass the one before it but i'm not sure if Dragon Armor is classified as Light or Heavy armor as yet.

The first tier is Steel armor and then you either branch to the left to learn Light armor sets or to the right to learn Heavy armor sets.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:48 AM
Quote:
Yeah i believe the Glass is the highest tier of Light Armor and is the last tier in on the Light armor side in the Smithing Perk tree.

Actually come to think of it the Dragon Armor might be the final tier and Glass the one before it but i'm not sure if Dragon Armor is classified as Light or Heavy armor as yet.

The first tier is Steel armor and then you either branch to the left to learn Light armor sets or to the right to learn Heavy armor sets.
The dragon armor is considered the highest tier and when you learn it you can either make the dragonscale armor or dragonbone armor ( scale for light armor, bone for heavy ). As far as heavy armor goes, Daedric armor has a higher armor rating from what ive seen but its heavier. Dragonbone on the other hand is pretty easy to obtain, ive saved all of mine so in that sense Dragonbone might be the way to go at first and when you have collected the daedric hearts, craft daedric stuff and give the dragonbone stuff to Lydia ( the companion helper chick person thingy ) or something.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:34 AM
So I finally ran into my first Bethesda broken quest bug (which for how much I've played o far is a pretty good ratio). If anyone has yet to do the Blood on the Ice quest in Windhelm watch out it is buggy as crap and I can't even get the quest triggering event to pop up. I tried for about three hours last night to get things going to no avail. In retaliation, I rage killed two dragons before going to bed.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo Man View Post
The dragon armor is considered the highest tier and when you learn it you can either make the dragonscale armor or dragonbone armor ( scale for light armor, bone for heavy ). As far as heavy armor goes, Daedric armor has a higher armor rating from what ive seen but its heavier. Dragonbone on the other hand is pretty easy to obtain, ive saved all of mine so in that sense Dragonbone might be the way to go at first and when you have collected the daedric hearts, craft daedric stuff and give the dragonbone stuff to Lydia ( the companion helper chick person thingy ) or something.
Ah nice, they are letting you craft either light or heavy Dragon armor. I was worried it would be only light cause i think the heavy armor side has one more node in the tree but i might have miscounted.

Yeah i think might try and stick with the Orcish stuff until i can get close to the Perk where your heavy armor weighs nothing.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:55 AM
I caved in and ordered the guide last night. I don't want to miss anything, or waste hours running around in circles.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Quote:
I caved in and ordered the guide last night. I don't want to miss anything, or waste hours running around in circles.
I had thought to do this as well but i'm just going to wait till the wiki gets filled out. There is so much to do in this game that if you get stuck at any point you can just go do something else in the mean time, lol.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Just remember this formula for greatness: Iron Dagger x slave labor = Master smithing.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:18 PM
I'm not going to order a guide. I'll just make multiple characters and play the game in different ways each time. So far i'm loving the game, and although I don't want to miss anything, I don't really want anything spoiled for me either.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger^Cart View Post
Just remember this formula for greatness: Iron Dagger x slave labor = Master smithing.
While you can lvl quite a bit on the Iron Dagger craft it will have diminishing returns the higher your skill lvl gets i'd guess. But for the earlier lvl's it definitely is the way to go, i think i lvl'd 13 or 14 skill lvls on just the dagger alone.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Damn, this game is massive. I'm trying my hardest to not get into the main quest, talking to people so I can take up miscellaneous quests for some gold and loot weapons. Although, I'm not keen on smithing and alchemy, though I'll get on it in time.

Thumbs up for me.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:39 AM
Quote:
While you can lvl quite a bit on the Iron Dagger craft it will have diminishing returns the higher your skill lvl gets i'd guess. But for the earlier lvl's it definitely is the way to go, i think i lvl'd 13 or 14 skill lvls on just the dagger alone.
You'd think but no. Believe me, its still a damn grind and a half though, either you spend a great deal of time hunting wildlife and trying to find iron veins or you spend a truckload of cash on buying the iron and leather from various npc's for extortion prices.

I just got my smithing to 100 last night and i'm now running around in a full set of dragonbone armour upgraded to Legendary, just need to enchant the bits. Shame there arent any Dragonbone weapons though but i guess Daedric will have to do, just need the hearts!
Old 11-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo Man View Post
You'd think but no. Believe me, its still a damn grind and a half though, either you spend a great deal of time hunting wildlife and trying to find iron veins or you spend a truckload of cash on buying the iron and leather from various npc's for extortion prices.

I just got my smithing to 100 last night and i'm now running around in a full set of dragonbone armour upgraded to Legendary, just need to enchant the bits. Shame there arent any Dragonbone weapons though but i guess Daedric will have to do, just need the hearts!
Strange that they would do that. That just makes the later tiers of armor, well..... just armor. There is no point in hoarding high lvl mats beyond what it takes to make a full set when you can lvl to 100 from the most basic smithing item.

That actually kind of sucks
Old 11-17-2011, 07:44 PM
I was primarily concerned with looking cool, and in that regard I am definitely satisfied.

Ebony Armor + Daedric everything else looks totally TITS. I was kinda going for a Sandor Clegane look, so I'm rocking the regular steel greatsword. I just shoved it through a Frost Trolls face. I am content.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:44 AM
Quote:
I was primarily concerned with looking cool, and in that regard I am definitely satisfied.

Ebony Armor + Daedric everything else looks totally TITS. I was kinda going for a Sandor Clegane look, so I'm rocking the regular steel greatsword. I just shoved it through a Frost Trolls face. I am content.
For sure, that seems to be the way these games are set up as opposed to something like World of Warcraft. In WoW it's about finding pieces with good stats with all sorts of pieces out there. In the ES games its about getting the armor you like then enchanting it with the stats you want.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Yeah it's definitely less about being a challenge and more about making the player happy, and I don't see anything wrong with that. Now that I've got my guy looking and playing how I want, I can move on with the story and experiences littered throughout.

One thing that I'm still very unhappy about though: No spears. I mean, wtf Bethesda? One of, if not THE most prominent weapon in human history. A two-handed warspear with a perk to throw it would be amazing.

The lack thereof finds me terribly vexed.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Yeah it's definitely less about being a challenge and more about making the player happy, and I don't see anything wrong with that. Now that I've got my guy looking and playing how I want, I can move on with the story and experiences littered throughout.

One thing that I'm still very unhappy about though: No spears. I mean, wtf Bethesda? One of, if not THE most prominent weapon in human history. A two-handed warspear with a perk to throw it would be amazing.

The lack thereof finds me terribly vexed.
Eh, Morrowind (and I believe New Vegas had throwing spears) had them and they were, quite possibly, the shittiest weapons in the game. You'd think having the extra reach and stuff would make it better, but it would actually make it worse when you were trying to take down that one guy who kept running around you, not to mention how slow they were.
I could foresee that adding in spears would've been a thing that the design team thought would be a lot more work (as spears would require a whole lot of time devoted to them, especially with thrown spears) with little reward (could end up being the buggiest of all weapons, which for me is currently the Mace of Molag Bal, which in kill animations never seems to actually touch the enemy despite squishing their head). Hell, though, Bethesda is always open to player feedback, bug them about it enough and they'll probably pop up in one of the expansions/dlc/whatever Bethesda's calling it right now.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:04 PM
I really wish Bethesda could have added in some of the dismemberment or head explosions found in the Fallout series. It would be extremely pleasing to see an arm lopped off in a kill, or a head caved in from a mace. The slo-mo cut of your character whacking an enemy in the head with a weapon just doesn't do it for me. Bethesda could have been a little more rewarding with the slo-mo kill cut, why even put it in the game if you don't have a gory payoff?

Actually, Bethesda should have added in some sort of version of the V.A.T.S. for Skyrim, call it Warrior Eye or Warrior Vision or something, so you can freeze the action, target an appendage, and attack it. I would love to nail some deer long distance in the head with an arrow, while hunting.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Actually, Bethesda should have added in some sort of version of the V.A.T.S. for Skyrim, call it Warrior Eye or Warrior Vision or something, so you can freeze the action, target an appendage, and attack it. I would love to nail some deer long distance in the head with an arrow, while hunting.
I actually really like that idea. Have it be an ability like the shouts that you get through a perk. Would be really epic for thos run and gun fights when you are trading arrows with somone and you get that targeted shot to they eyeball.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:45 PM
Well you can slow time. You can't quite autotarget specific body parts when you slow down time, but you can manually aim your bow during slow time and kill and enemy however you want.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:06 AM
Quote:
I really wish Bethesda could have added in some of the dismemberment or head explosions found in the Fallout series. It would be extremely pleasing to see an arm lopped off in a kill, or a head caved in from a mace. The slo-mo cut of your character whacking an enemy in the head with a weapon just doesn't do it for me. Bethesda could have been a little more rewarding with the slo-mo kill cut, why even put it in the game if you don't have a gory payoff?

the 2 handed perk tree ( and 1 handed too i believe ) has a perk wich causes your power attacks to cost 25% less stamina and occasionally decapitate your enemy and for me personally this is satisfying enough. I think FO3 went a bit overboard with the gore, not that im allergic to gore or something, i just thought it didnt really fit a bethesda game all that well, atleast in those amounts.

As for V.A.T.S, i agree that it could have worked here. It could have been interesting as a perk too but the risk would have been that people start moaning how they just lifted that out of Fo3 and slapped it into Skyrim where it has no place. Following up on your archery example though, i personally find it more rewarding when you nail the shot manually, especially at the early stages of archery where it can be a frustrating experience but also rewarding when you get that first kill after some practice.

Was doing a dungeon yesterday and i took out a guard with my bow from the shadows and from quite the distance. when i went to check the corpse the arrow was sticking out of the guards eye, i can honestly say i was proud of that shot.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:00 PM
it's been running smooth ever since that fateful day. awesome game!
Old 11-19-2011, 07:37 PM
I'm taking this game like a good book, and just taking my sweet time with it. When I have open hours, I'll sit down and do a couple hours of scourging and side quests. Then I'll wait a while and get back to it when more time opens up.

Awesome game, awesome game indeed.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden_208 View Post
Eh, Morrowind (and I believe New Vegas had throwing spears) had them and they were, quite possibly, the shittiest weapons in the game. You'd think having the extra reach and stuff would make it better, but it would actually make it worse when you were trying to take down that one guy who kept running around you, not to mention how slow they were.
I could foresee that adding in spears would've been a thing that the design team thought would be a lot more work (as spears would require a whole lot of time devoted to them, especially with thrown spears) with little reward (could end up being the buggiest of all weapons, which for me is currently the Mace of Molag Bal, which in kill animations never seems to actually touch the enemy despite squishing their head). Hell, though, Bethesda is always open to player feedback, bug them about it enough and they'll probably pop up in one of the expansions/dlc/whatever Bethesda's calling it right now.
I don't think throwing them would be any different than using a bow, and I don't see how they'd potentially be buggier than any other weapon. I mainly want to use it in a two-handed capacity anyway. Impaling someone through the chest with a giant longspear would be righteous.

Case and point: I'm currently stuck on this crazy powerful dick-wizard, the one guarding the last werewolf totem, and somehow I managed to whittle down his health to near death (not even come close since) was completely black on arrows, and if I had had a longspear that I could throw (I'm proposing you can only throw it once, most times out of either desperation or for shits and giggs I'd think) maybe I wouldn't be bashing my face into the wall right now.

Last edited by Danger^Cart; 11-20-2011 at 01:25 PM..
Old 11-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Impaling someone through the chest with a giant longspear would be righteous.
That would be awesome. It would also be awesome, to trip someone with the tip of the spear, and then impale them in the neck while they're on the floor
Old 11-20-2011, 09:50 PM
Damn it, i needto kill another dragon or two. I got my armor made but not improved and i need more scales for that. Once i get the 4 scales i need i can enchant all the armor and my ebony weapons/shield and be pimpin.

Oh yeah for anyone doing one handed, the sprinting power attack perk (i think you need 50 for it, its ther one on the right just befre the tip node) absolutely mangles spell casters like nothin! Definitelya good pick up.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:07 PM
I have played the game a bit , but since I have a family now I can't seem to enjoy this type of games anymore like used to...I can only play an hor or so a day. Sucks.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:56 PM
Lvl 35, full enchanted Dragon Plate with Ebony sword and bow crafted to Legendary and the armor wieghs nothing.

Can't wait to mow through some quests next time i play