Old 04-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Anyone else get echoes of the Widmore/Desmond "MacCutcheon" scene (from season 3 of Lost) during the Tywin/Tyrion confrontation? Tywin might have the edge as the bigger bastard, though. God-damn that was cold...
Old 04-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
Oh, best part? Cirian Hinds is Mance Rayder. Talk about perfect casting.
Yeah easily I thought the did a fairly good job casting Tormund Giantsbane as well. The Wall and North of the Wall is easily my favorite place. And yeah Tywin is an asshole.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:04 PM
My only dissapointment was how they skipped the fist of the first men, and had sam saved by ghost, who is somehow not with Jon? Above the wall is my favorite story line, and theyre kinda butchering it. I mean, Mance and Tormund Giantsbane are written much more jovial. Meh, Ill keep watching.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixedMind View Post
My only dissapointment was how they skipped the fist of the first men, and had sam saved by ghost, who is somehow not with Jon? Above the wall is my favorite story line, and theyre kinda butchering it. I mean, Mance and Tormund Giantsbane are written much more jovial. Meh, Ill keep watching.
I am hoping that Mance and Tormund Giantsbane do get more jovial, I think they have the look right though. And yeah Sam's moment in the sun has been removed hopefully its going to get moved to some different episode or something.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Yeah I'm hoping Ghost finds his way back to Jon. I'm sure they won't skip over Sam's 'moment in the sun.'
Old 04-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucksta G View Post
Yeah I'm hoping Ghost finds his way back to Jon. I'm sure they won't skip over Sam's 'moment in the sun.'
Now I want to know what Sam's moment in the sun is.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixedMind View Post
My only dissapointment was how they skipped the fist of the first men, and had sam saved by ghost, who is somehow not with Jon?
I remember last season when Ghost wandered off, I think to join a pack? Was that not in the book then? Jon was watching him from afar.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
I remember last season when Ghost wandered off, I think to join a pack? Was that not in the book then? Jon was watching him from afar.
Ghost often wanders off in the books
Old 04-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Ghost often wanders off in the books
Oh, okay thank you. I really need to read them. My son lent me the first three but I'm kind of liking being oblivious to the books so I don't get angry and compare. I have a tendency to do that with books/movie adaptations.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:40 PM
Someone just posted this on a thread on WinterisComing.net:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CLCOvZOh1o

The main dude's delivery just sold this 100% for me.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post

Holy shit that is EXACTLY how I feel.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:58 AM
Great episode! It was awesome to actually see Jamie lend the Starks a hand. I mean at first when he was handed over to them I wasn't really a fan of the fact that they didn't just go ahead and hand him his punishment, but now that it turns out that we took for granted how handy he was I have to admit I'm kinda sad.

Last edited by Gordon; 04-15-2013 at 04:03 AM..
Old 04-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Agreed - it was a great episode. The first two were fine but slow-moving. This might be the funniest episode of the series yet and that helped make things fly by. Episode by episode, the series moves at a snail's pace but that's the nature of adapting such sprawling books. This is definitely a series that will work much better with each season viewed altogether as a whole rather than in these little bits.

I am very pleasantly surprised and impressed with Benioff's debut as a director and happy that there seems to be more room to breathe this season, with more focus on character work (the Hot Pie farewell was nice as was the chair scene) than simply moving the pieces around.

You could say the whole thing was handled rather well.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:43 PM
Who do you think rescued Theon I think it was

Spoiler:
The bastard fucking with him
Old 04-15-2013, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStorm View Post
Who do you think rescued Theon I think it was

Spoiler:
The bastard fucking with him

My thoughts, too.

I also don't get the comment about the episodes being slow-moving, to me they go by way fast!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:22 PM
Quote:
My thoughts, too.

I also don't get the comment about the episodes being slow-moving, to me they go by way fast!
To clarify what I mean - It's kind of both at the same time. I've often felt that they skip over a lot of things in order to have these concise little scenes that push the narrative forward, so in that respect, it does move fast - but because this is the bulk of what the show is made up of, it can sometimes make everything seem like it doesn't matter, which then makes the show feel slow. It's the lack of meatiness because we have to skip around from character to character and get incremental progression per episode on each front. That's why I think this show should really be seen back-to-back. When the entire series is complete and it's possible to watch it straight through from beginning to end, I think the impact of the series will be much bigger (assuming George R.R. Martin nails the final installments).

Keep in mind I enjoyed the first two of the season as well, just thought they were a bit slower in comparison to this one. The scenes felt snappier here.

Also re the spoiler possibility - yes, I think without a doubt that's who it is.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Quote:

Truly wonderful.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:46 PM
Quote:
To clarify what I mean - It's kind of both at the same time. I've often felt that they skip over a lot of things in order to have these concise little scenes that push the narrative forward, so in that respect, it does move fast - but because this is the bulk of what the show is made up of, it can sometimes make everything seem like it doesn't matter, which then makes the show feel slow. It's the lack of meatiness because we have to skip around from character to character and get incremental progression per episode on each front. That's why I think this show should really be seen back-to-back. When the entire series is complete and it's possible to watch it straight through from beginning to end, I think the impact of the series will be much bigger (assuming George R.R. Martin nails the final installments).

Keep in mind I enjoyed the first two of the season as well, just thought they were a bit slower in comparison to this one. The scenes felt snappier here.

Also re the spoiler possibility - yes, I think without a doubt that's who it is.
Got ya and agreed.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:33 AM
I've only watched the first two episodes, but it is nice the way it seems to be never boring and more well balanced pace-wise. I always felt in the first two seasons that some scenes shouldn't have been so long, so they could focus more on OTHER events that I felt didn't get enough room to breath.
So far, I'm quite liking how it seems like they aren't as "rushed" this time around, and there are some longer beats here and there which have helped enhance the dramatic punch that comes from taking its time.

I am looking forward to watching the next episode tonight if I can. I don't like what's going to happen, but I gotta hand it to the show's creators... sometimes you just gotta grab hold and embrace for the crazy ride ahead.

I still will say that it would be nice to have an "alternate version" of the books, in which the show detracts from being faithful to the books and makes a sequence of events "that could have been", approved by Martin. He should give an outline of "well, let's have THIS happen instead!"
Man, that would shake EVERYONE up, and the surprises would be for not just first-time viewers but the readers as well!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:03 PM
If it's going the way that I think is going, then......(SPOILERS UNLESS YOU HAVEN'T THE BOOK)

Spoiler:
The build-up between The Bastard Bolton and Theon is going to be a good one!

*Sorry I didn't read the posts above. I prematurely posted. Happens to the best of us.

Last edited by Mr.HyDe807; 04-18-2013 at 08:06 PM..
Old 04-22-2013, 10:29 AM
Dany taking Astapor was every bit as satisfying as I'd hoped it would be. Even better is that it wasn't shortshrifted in any way due to budget like the Blackwater stuff was, because if I remember right, the sequence in the books wasn't THAT large of scale, just impactful as hell.

Short of a certain sequence coming up in the [penultimate?] finale, this TV season is gonna be hardpressed to top that. I've still got goosebumps.

Dracarys...

Last edited by syxxpac; 04-22-2013 at 10:36 AM..
Old 04-22-2013, 05:29 PM
Fucking excellent episode.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Last couple episodes were much higher quality than the first two. I found the first two to be incredibly boring. Granted that's the nature of the book. Books aren't written to have thrilling cliffhangers every 100 pages.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:24 PM
Poor Theon I knew that is who it was fucking with him though. A really good episode the highlight was definitely Daenerys, but I thought what took place beyond the Wall was pretty good as well as The Hound and The Brotherhood Without Banners.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:18 PM
LOVING this season.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseanymacx View Post
LOVING this season.
Yep, its been rather excellent.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:53 PM
I think last night's episode truly showed the incredible acting this show continues to produce--specifically Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. I can not wait to see how the rest of this season unfolds.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:37 PM
Loving this season so far as well, but honestly I loved the other seasons too. Its just a high quality show that keeps getting better and better, and as Roy Batty said there are some pretty incredible actors.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:58 AM
Anyone else catch this last episode, episode 6? Just finished it. While on the surface it may appear that not much happened, and admittedly I haven't read the books YET(), but this felt like a MONUMENTAL type of episode in terms of where the stories are going from here. Very much felt like a calm before the storm episode and if it was (as hopefully readers of the books can attest to), I am loving the steam this season is picking up.

Lots of things that can't be undone in this episode and my anticipation for the rest of this season is very much in BrBa mode (where I foam at the mouth every day waiting for Sunday night).
Old 05-09-2013, 11:09 PM
What the fuck is going on with Gendry?

Spoiler:
I don't remember him in the books getting captured by the Red Priestess, I am not sure I like it.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStorm View Post
What the fuck is going on with Gendry?

Spoiler:
I don't remember him in the books getting captured by the Red Priestess, I am not sure I like it.
Spoiler:
I think they may be replacing the Edric Storm character with Gendry, rather than introducing a new one, but I don't know, I don't mind it.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Spoiler:
I think they may be replacing the Edric Storm character with Gendry, rather than introducing a new one, but I don't know, I don't mind it.
Ahh that is a good theory and makes sense. Good call.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:30 PM
I loved Jamie's line to Roose Bolton

Spoiler:
Tell Robb Stark I'm sorry I couldn't make his uncles wedding, the Lannisters send their regards.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:15 PM
The last episode was brilliant. I was disappointed with the MacLaren/Martin episode prior to that but she more than made it up last week. It wasn't a huge episode by any means, but it was incredibly well-acted, directed, and involving. It's pretty much how I wish Game of Thrones was all the time. I bet that's the episode they submit for Dinklage for Emmy consideration this year.

Five days left . Crossing my fingers that Nutter hits this one out of the park.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Season is going fantastically. I still have no idea what's going on with Theon but that's the only place I'm really lost. I'm trying to avoid spoilers of who is torturing him from the book because I do love how he keeps getting closer to the answer, but couldn't be further from the reality of it. I just wish they'd fill me in on who the douche with the blade is, all ready.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Well.

Here we are. New episode tonight.

Should be eventful.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:59 AM
Old 06-03-2013, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
Yep.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:49 AM
Holy fuck, that was an outstanding episode.

I can't get over how disappointed I am that I read the books. I wish I didn't have any idea WTF happens next.

It's so much more fun to watch than it is to read, too!

This season is shaping up to be my favorite so far. Just, for me, every episode is excellent to near-perfect.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:34 AM
Shock!