Old 08-02-2011, 11:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkptadiDABo

Behind the scenes look at the VFX used in season 1. Very cool stuff.

Last edited by outsyder; 08-02-2011 at 11:22 PM..
Old 08-03-2011, 03:22 AM

And another, highlighting different SFX shots. Pretty cool stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyjto...eature=related

Also, some additional casting news. Asha Greyjoy (will be called Yara in the show) will be played by Gemma Whelan.

Kerr Logan has been cast as Matthos Seaworth, son of Davos.

And Nonso Anozie has been cast as Xaro Xhoan Daxos.

I don't really know anything about any of them, so I guess I'll just have to wait til' I see them in the show. ...in fucking April of 2012.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:28 PM
I just watched the first season on HBO OnDemand (if you haven't seen it watch it before it's gone on the 26th!) I have to say I was thoroughly addicted and the cast was incredible all around. This show is brutal when it needs to be and I love how merciless particular characters are. Not since Lost have I been completely shocked by sudden character deaths and I feel thus far most these characters are all well developed, with a few exceptions.

I'm pleased to hear Peter Dinklage won an Emmy for his role as he's probably my favorite character; a complete smartass and bold dude

I am now eager for the second season!
Old 09-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Both of their names elude me, but the casting for Davos and Rorge is right on the money. I was pretty jazzed when I saw that.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:43 PM
You know people are excited about a TV show when they post casting news for every single minor character possible.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:13 AM
I'm sure I'll love the hell out of season 2, but after slugging through book 4 and not being able to finish book 5 (300 pages left and I always fall asleep after every 5-10 pages this last month), I sure hope to God they slice and dice the story to more essential elements for the next season(s). Book 3 can work mostly as its own season. Then meld books 4 and 5 into one season; maybe a season and a 3-hour add-on or something.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
I'm sure I'll love the hell out of season 2, but after slugging through book 4 and not being able to finish book 5 (300 pages left and I always fall asleep after every 5-10 pages this last month), I sure hope to God they slice and dice the story to more essential elements for the next season(s). Book 3 can work mostly as its own season. Then meld books 4 and 5 into one season; maybe a season and a 3-hour add-on or something.
Yeah they defintely need to meld book 4 and 5 in to one or two seasons together. I'm enjoying book 4 more the second time around. The season I'm looking forward to most is season 3 (I hope they split it in to two seasons, like the paper backs have been split in some countries.)
Old 09-27-2011, 07:06 AM
Benioff and Weiss have confirmed that the third book will be split into two seasons assuming the show doesn't get cancelled before then (which it better fucking not!).
Old 09-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Having recently finished the book series up to the point where it's been released (A Dance With Dragons), I can see where a lot of people feel that the fourth and fifth book should be condensed into one season.

As it stands, I can see the delineation of book to season becoming a lot less equal than it was with the first (which even had a few scenes towards the end that were in A Clash of Kings).

In other news, an incredibly short and insubstantial teaser has been released for the second season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frqB1...eature=feedlik

And there's been a ton of casting for season two, some of which has been mentioned and some that hasn't...

http://winter-is-coming.net/features/cast/season-two/

Also, since no one seems to have mentioned it, director Neil Marshall (Dog Soldiers, The Descent, Centurion, Doomsday) has signed on to direct episode nine for season two, titled "Blackwater". Without spoiling anything, it seems like an incredibly smart choice on their part, given that Marshall has often made his films on tight budgets without sacrificing much in the way of impact and scale.

I think it took the creators (who are also the primary writers) of the show a few episodes to really get on their feet with season one, and I'd suspect that given the shows popularity and the fact that they've learned quite a bit in the interim since making the first season, season two should be pretty fucking awesome.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Also, since no one seems to have mentioned it, director Neil Marshall (Dog Soldiers, The Descent, Centurion, Doomsday) has signed on to direct episode nine for season two, titled "Blackwater". Without spoiling anything, it seems like an incredibly smart choice on their part, given that Marshall has often made his films on tight budgets without sacrificing much in the way of impact and scale.
Another little tidbit about "Blackwater": it's the episode that's being written by George R.R. Martin. Here's a quote from Martin regarding his script,
Spoiler:
"I still don't how the hell we can possibly afford to do half of what I put into that script, but if anyone can pull off my budget-busting battle, it's Marshall."

Needless to say, it's going to amazing.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucksta G View Post
Yeah they defintely need to meld book 4 and 5 in to one or two seasons together. I'm enjoying book 4 more the second time around. The season I'm looking forward to most is season 3 (I hope they split it in to two seasons, like the paper backs have been split in some countries.)
They need to mold books 4 and 5 into one episode each. And hopefully Martin will be back to form by then and they can get back to the good stuff.

OR

The writers just need to start taking lots and lots of liberties with the story at that point and hopefully churn out something better than Martin did.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
You know people are excited about a TV show when they post casting news for every single minor character possible.
You know it's fan-fucking-tastic material when painfully minor characters are given more depth in a single paragraph than most major characters of other works get in 300 pages (though Davos is a pretty huge character, actually).

I was so psyched to read that about Blackwater. I don't think it's hyperbole when I say it has the potential to be the single most epic hour of television...well, ever.

One thing that I've been wondering though:

Spoiler:
Do you think they'll downplay Tyrion's role in the battle so drastically, like they did last time? If they're actually gonna SHOW this one, I don't see how they can, as he gets his hands pretty fucking dirty, and Mandon Moore trying to gut his ass is a pretty big turn of events.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger^Cart View Post

Spoiler:
Do you think they'll downplay Tyrion's role in the battle so drastically, like they did last time? If they're actually gonna SHOW this one, I don't see how they can, as he gets his hands pretty fucking dirty, and Mandon Moore trying to gut his ass is a pretty big turn of events.
No I don't think they will downplay it at all.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:05 AM
I understand why they would, as Tyrion is primarily a chess player and not a fighter and I could see the writers trying to separate him entirely from being any sort of physical threat.

Really the biggest question I have, and have had from the start, is how in the holy fuck are they going to portray the fully grown direwolves?
Old 10-16-2011, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Really the biggest question I have, and have had from the start, is how in the holy fuck are they going to portray the fully grown direwolves?
I remember reading somewhere that they hired a second company to focus solely on the CGI for the direwolves.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Old 10-17-2011, 06:25 PM
So many people I never expected to get into this have gotten into it.

My buddy who I thought least likely to ever dig this show (he's all about realism in his movies, isn't a fan of horror or fantasy or any of the pulpier genres) blazed through it recently on HBO OnDemand and ended up RAVING about it to me. I guess he got interested due to comparisons with The Wire (his favourite show) and hearing that the show was more political in nature.

My parents, my bro and his girlfriend have all watched the show now and love it, some co-workers and other friends, same thing.

I honestly thought it would be too daunting, too many characters, too much going on for it to hook the mass crowds but from what I'm seeing, the word of mouth is spreading and the audience is growing.

HBO needs to release those blu-rays/DVDs at least a month before the next season airs to capitalize on this. I think not releasing the first season set for Boardwalk Empire beforehand kind of killed its Season 2 premiere ratings.

But either way, I'm expecting/crossing my fingers for a nice boost for next season's premiere, ensuring a green light and hopefully slightly bigger budget for the Storm of Swords seasons.

ETA: Also, great graphic

Last edited by JCPhoenix; 10-17-2011 at 06:30 PM..
Old 10-17-2011, 06:27 PM
Quote:
I remember reading somewhere that they hired a second company to focus solely on the CGI for the direwolves.

I haven't read the books, but I am assuming the full grown direwolves are huge. But cgi direwolves and dragons in a season? I'm a bit concerned, considering how well tv tends to fare with cgi (badly). And cg animals, on the whole, fare even worse.

Maybe they have the budget to do it well. I just hope they don't end up between a rock and a hard place in adapting things from the books they can't convincingly portray in the show.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:24 PM
Quote:
I haven't read the books, but I am assuming the full grown direwolves are huge.
At the point I'm at in the books, I believe they are described as being close to the size of a horse, Grey Wind in particular, so they will definitely not be able to do the wolves justice without throwing in some visual effects. I actually tried to find the article I was talking about, but couldn't. I did read that they are planning to do a mix of real wolves and special effects, so it'll be interesting to see if they can blend the two together effectively.

I don't think their budget has grown any from season 1, but like JCPhoenix said, I think the ratings for season 2 are going to be monstrously bigger than they were for season 1; possibly even the largest jump between seasons for any TV show in history. I know so many people that have gotten into the show after the first season has ended, and most of them are even reading the books now as well. I hope they have that huge rating boost, because seasons 3 and 4 are going to need huge budgets to be as good as they possibly can. There are some amazing scenes in the latter half of Storm of Swords, and with a healthy budget increase, I think season 4 has the potential to be one of the greatest seasons of TV ever.

One thing HBO definitely needs to do, in my eyes, is let people pay exclusively for HBO GO at a price slightly cheaper than what people pay monthly for the actual channel. I feel like television is starting to be phased out, as I have a lot of friends that don't even have cable and merely catch up on shows through Netflix or illegally, and if HBO saw this shift in how the medium is being watched, I think there would be a pretty healthy profit to be had.

Last edited by Gebs-; 10-17-2011 at 10:59 PM..
Old 11-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Yeah, I don't want to jinx it or anything but I just feel like the buzz is growing everywhere. I see the show mentioned all the time in places that surprise me from every day conversations to online references and all over pop culture.

If you check out Google Trends, and compare Game of Thrones to True Blood in search volume, they're actually following remarkably equivalent patterns in both their season airings and the off-season. And Game of Thrones is soundly beating Boardwalk Empire in search volume right now, while Boardwalk Empire is airing and Game of Thrones is off the air.

True that the Game of Thrones fans are more obsessive so more likely to search multiple times. But coupled with the references in pop culture, the circular benefit of the show boosting the book popularity boosting the show popularity, and the added time that people have had to get into the series, I feel like it has to have a sizeable bump up for the season premiere, maybe as much as True Blood had from the end of Season 1 to the beginning of Season 2 (1.25 million more).

Plus with the foreign rights selling for big numbers for HBO and what is sure to be big numbers for the blu-ray/DVDs, HBO has gotta be raking in enough to hopefully boost up the budget for next season.

There's also been rumors that they might combine Season 3 and Season 4 shooting which I think is a phenomenal idea. It would solve some of the issues with the kids aging and I'm sure budget-wise certain things would cost a lot less and mean more money for the rest of the show.

---------

Also, a new two minute in-production clip has been released:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE12H1HorUU

Looking great and I'm glad they gave us a glimpse of all the major new characters (though we barely get a glimpse of Brienne). Melisandre looks a little off but I think it's just the awkward angle - I loved Carice van Houten in Black Book and I'm sure she'll be great in this. Stannis, Davos, and Margaery are all looking good too.

I almost didn't recognize Renly. Looks far more kingly now than last season and that antler crown is pretty sweet.

I'm way too pumped for the new season to air...5 months is a long ways away...
Old 11-21-2011, 11:37 AM
Davos looks spot-on, the actor that plays him is so perfect for the part.

The whole clip was brilliant. Now just to wait 150 long days until the season actually starts..

Last edited by JackassFan; 11-21-2011 at 11:39 AM..
Old 12-02-2011, 09:43 PM
You can count me as late to the party as well, but my dad just changed his Verizon Fios plan and we got HBO for our package. I was lent the first book this past month and plowed right through it, itching to watch the show once I was done with the book.

Well, after finishing the first book this past weekend and driving through the first season this week, this show is just completely incredible. An excellent adaptation to Martin's book, as well as the show's writers adding their own flair to certain scenes to allow certain characters that seemed sidelined in the book to be more rounded out. Most characters (Cersei and Jamie) just had that feeling of one-deminsional villainy in the book, and the show rounded them out beautifully. Sure, they are despicable, but they are also fascinating to watch on screen. Everyone works against their literary counterpart that it simply floored me.

Sure, things got sidelined, but the show writer's knew where the corners were best cut for adapting to screen. Now all I need is the second book in my hands and I'll have something to tide me over for the second season in the spring.

Bravo HBO, bravo. This is certainly a show that is up there with Breaking bad and Boardwalk Empire that I will certainly be gushing over to my friends and family. Hell, my dad got caught up with watching this show with me and was pissed that he has to wait until Spring to see next season!

Last edited by Mr.HyDe807; 12-02-2011 at 09:47 PM..
Old 12-02-2011, 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HyDe807 View Post
You can count me as late to the party as well, but my dad just changed his Verizon Fios plan and we got HBO for our package. I was lent the first book this past month and plowed right through it, itching to watch the show once I was done with the book.

Well, after finishing the first book this past weekend and driving through the first season this week, this show is just completely incredible. An excellent adaptation to Martin's book, as well as the show's writers adding their own flair to certain scenes to allow certain characters that seemed sidelined in the book to be more rounded out. Most characters (Cersei and Jamie) just had that feeling of one-deminsional villainy in the book, and the show rounded them out beautifully. Sure, they are despicable, but they are also fascinating to watch on screen. Everyone works against their literary counterpart that it simply floored me.

Sure, things got sidelined, but the show writer's knew where the corners were best cut for adapting to screen. Now all I need is the second book in my hands and I'll have something to tide me over for the second season in the spring.

Bravo HBO, bravo. This is certainly a show that is up there with Breaking bad and Boardwalk Empire that I will certainly be gushing over to my friends and family. Hell, my dad got caught up with watching this show with me and was pissed that he has to wait until Spring to see next season!
Glad to see another convert, you need to get on that second book dude. I think he's sidelined for the most part in that one as well, but Jaime ends up being one of the most well-developed characters in the series, and definitely not one dimensional. More like, uhhh....quadrimensional? I don't know dude his character arc is titties just read the fuckin' thing.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:31 PM

For anyone who didn't see it before Boardwalk Empire last week, HBO showed a feature on the second season of Game of Thrones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE12H1HorUU

Also, Entertainment Weekly has an article about the season one DVD/Blu-Ray set.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/11/30/game-of-thrones-dvd/

And for those of you who want to get a look at the (massive amount of) new characters in season two, http://winter-is-coming.net/features/cast/season-two/.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBrsM_WlfV8

New trailer, complete with Stannis voiceover.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Goosebumps.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:51 PM
I'm loving the Stannis voice.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
I'm loving the Stannis voice.
Stephen Dillane was such an inspired choice for Stannis. Have a feeling he might be the star of S2.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMazVolta View Post
Stephen Dillane was such an inspired choice for Stannis. Have a feeling he might be the star of S2.
He may be a great actor, but the character of Stannis I find too bland to translate into a stong film character. I hope Im wrong, and who knows, maybe theyll take some creative license and add some badassness to the character.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixedMind View Post
He may be a great actor, but the character of Stannis I find too bland to translate into a stong film character. I hope Im wrong, and who knows, maybe theyll take some creative license and add some badassness to the character.
(MAJOR BOOK SPOILERS)
Spoiler:
In the novels Stannis is the only one left standing (Ramseys letter not withstanding) who claimed the Iron Throne in Clash of Kings.
Im hoping he will be more fleshed out.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:26 PM
The more I thought about it, the more I really think this was the best Season 1 of any show I've ever seen. I'm psyced for Season 2.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Quote:
He can be bland but that is also on purpose. I agree they should take a little creative license and add just a touch of kick ass to his film version. Not too much mind you.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:43 PM
I have full faith in the writers that a character like Stannis will be more fleshed out (I'm currently reading A Clash of Kings as we speak). Hell, those guys have given some sort of nuanced and dimensions to the easily hatable characters in the first season that impressed the hell out of me. I'm very optimistic that we'll see that in this season as well.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Like other characters (particularly Cersei and Jamie) Stannis gets fleshed out more as the books go on so I'm sure they will take a similar approach to what they did with some characters in the first season.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOzXsqoJhtE

The new 'Shadow' teaser was shown tonight. April 1st...get here soon!
Old 01-30-2012, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMazVolta View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOzXsqoJhtE

The new 'Shadow' teaser was shown tonight. April 1st...get here soon!
If that is Mellisandre in the first shot with Stannis, which it probably is, than again they are changing the appearance of an important character. I may be a bit of a stickler for this type of thing(why weren't the wights hands black?),
but Mellisandre is supposed to have red eyes damnit. Is it really that difficult to change eye color with cg or contacts? Sure, contacts may be uncomfortable and cg expensive, but isnt it a relatively small price(figuratively) to pay in order to include aspects of the novels that really add flavor to a character? Again, I know I'm over reacting, maybe when the show actually starts it'll turn out that her eyes only glow red when she is communing with r'hllor or something.

Last edited by fixedMind; 01-30-2012 at 12:30 AM..
Old 01-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Quote:
If that is Mellisandre in the first shot with Stannis, which it probably is, than again they are changing the appearance of an important character. I may be a bit of a stickler for this type of thing(why weren't the wights hands black?),
but Mellisandre is supposed to have red eyes damnit. Is it really that difficult to change eye color with cg or contacts? Sure, contacts may be uncomfortable and cg expensive, but isnt it a relatively small price(figuratively) to pay in order to include aspects of the novels that really add flavor to a character? Again, I know I'm over reacting, maybe when the show actually starts it'll turn out that her eyes only glow red when she is communing with r'hllor or something.
Interview with George R.R. Martin for Season 1:
This will be a big area of debate among your obsessive fans on the Web: What changes have you noticed the producers have made in your material?
There are changes, but I’m not sure how many of them are important. Like in the sets. The High Hall in the Eyrie, the one I described was long and rectangular with columns, and the one they built is round with curving staircases up. I had the Moon Door in the wall; they had the Moon Door in the floor. I know they tried, but they were not able to do the purple eyes for the Targaryens. You can do colored contact lenses, but that’s difficult for the actors and doesn’t always look right anyway. I have some great fans, but some of them get a little obsessive about things like that and are going to go crazy. But I’ve worked in Hollywood too long to worry about things like that. I’ve been on the other side of the process.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/04/04/ga...ge-r-r-martin/

I'm guessing it's the same issue, whatever it is that they were having, with the red contacts.

The teaser looks great though.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:24 AM
Just noticed that the Shadow teaser has 2.3 million hits in about a day and half. The ratings for this season are going to be impressive.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
Interview with George R.R. Martin for Season 1:
This will be a big area of debate among your obsessive fans on the Web: What changes have you noticed the producers have made in your material?
There are changes, but Iím not sure how many of them are important. Like in the sets. The High Hall in the Eyrie, the one I described was long and rectangular with columns, and the one they built is round with curving staircases up. I had the Moon Door in the wall; they had the Moon Door in the floor. I know they tried, but they were not able to do the purple eyes for the Targaryens. You can do colored contact lenses, but thatís difficult for the actors and doesnít always look right anyway. I have some great fans, but some of them get a little obsessive about things like that and are going to go crazy. But Iíve worked in Hollywood too long to worry about things like that. Iíve been on the other side of the process.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/04/04/ga...ge-r-r-martin/

I'm guessing it's the same issue, whatever it is that they were having, with the red contacts.

The teaser looks great though.

Mellisandre's red eyes are more important damnit!
Blood red hair and eyes, pale white skin, and a glowing red ruby at her throat.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Loved it until they killed Sean Bean!