Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2011, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
He's a competant actor, but there's somethin' about his face that I don't like :/

Old 06-15-2011, 09:56 PM
I like Fox but I think he's a step down from Smith. I'm actually let down that Smith isn't looking likely. I would have LOVED to have seen Will Smith in a Tarantino movie!

With Smith out of the picture, of the guys rumored Elba is definitely the best choice. But as long as it's ANYBODY but Chris Tucker, I'll be okay.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:20 AM
I'm sure Foxx could get the job done (enjoyed his work in Ray and especially Collateral), but something about this doesn't sit right with me. If I had my say, I'd go with Anthony Mackie or Mr. Elba for Django.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:04 AM
Foxx is a big step down in my opinion, but not because of any "He's terrible!" type of reasons. I just can't buy him in the role
Old 06-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmont View Post
I'm sure Foxx could get the job done (enjoyed his work in Ray and especially Collateral), but something about this doesn't sit right with me. If I had my say, I'd go with Anthony Mackie or Mr. Elba for Django.
Mackie is one of my favorite actors under 35 so I'd be all for it BUT appears to be very busy (just signed on for Gangster Squad & World War Z).
Old 06-16-2011, 10:51 AM
I don't have any thing against Will Smith or Jamie Foxx it's just that I don't see them in a Tarantino movie. I think they're good actors I just don't see them fitting in to one of his movies, picking one of them seems more like a finacial choice than any thing.

Actors that i would prefer to see:
Idris Elba (currently my favorite and it seems as if he's the top on this site)
Anthony Mackie
Don Cheadle (may be a little old though, not sure)
Michael Jai White (dude needs a break out role)
Old 06-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Although he's not a well known actor, I'd love to see QT give the role to Roger Cross. Curtis Manning from 24. That would be awesome IMO!
Old 06-16-2011, 11:14 AM
Jamie Foxx is a step down from Will Smith? To me it's the total opposite. Smith hasn't been able to separate himself too well from his comedic performances except for the Pursuit of Happiness and Ali. Otherwise, I would prefer Foxx, but honestly I want Idris Elba. He's the best out of all the names we've gotten and he's definitely underrated.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty_86 View Post
I don't have any thing against Will Smith or Jamie Foxx it's just that I don't see them in a Tarantino movie. I think they're good actors I just don't see them fitting in to one of his movies, picking one of them seems more like a finacial choice than any thing.

Actors that i would prefer to see:
Idris Elba (currently my favorite and it seems as if he's the top on this site)
Anthony Mackie
Don Cheadle (may be a little old though, not sure)
I definitely agree with your first two choices; I wouldn't mind either one as the lead. Cheadle would be good, but I think I'd prefer Will Smith over him at this point.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Honestly though, the ones who've read the script know, I think, that Idris Elba (no matter how big of a fan I am, I even watch Luther) is too much of a dominating presence for the role of Django, who comes off the page as a less intimidating guy.

I don't see Will Smith or Jamie Foxx either in this role, though out those three I'd have to say Foxx would probably look the part the most, and he's got some acting chops.

But i stand by my original choice. Chiwetel Ejiofor when spelt correctly would be the best fit for this role. Probably won't happen but he'd be the best.

We'll know soon enough.

Oh and Leonardo DiCaprio seems seriously too young for Candie, I don't know what QT's thinking there...
Old 06-17-2011, 12:23 AM
I honestly can't think of anyone miscast in a Tarantino movie so I trust the guy totally. Whoever it'll be will be right for the role.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty_86 View Post

Seconded. What movie couldn't benefit from some KUNG FU TREACHERY!?!
Old 06-17-2011, 09:05 PM
Would love to see White reteam with Tarantino.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjohng View Post
Would love to see White reteam with Tarantino.
Took me an entire minute to think of the film before realizing the fact that the scene was deleted might explain why it took me so long to remember haha
Old 06-19-2011, 01:56 PM
White's a great fighter but a pretty shitty actor, and considering the role of Django is more the latter than the former, I really wouldn't want this reunion to happen for this film. Unless White plays one of the mandingos, which could totally work.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:13 AM
This movie just became my number one reason why I really hope the world doesn't end in 2012.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:22 PM
Sounds like Foxx has officially passed. Give this motherfucker to Stringer Bell already.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Thank gawd
Old 06-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Well, now it looks like Foxx might be in. Interesting.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...felbWk;twitter
Old 06-22-2011, 09:40 AM
DAMNIT!!!!
Old 06-22-2011, 11:06 AM
So Del Toro was the "controversial" director and Pacific Rim was the "controversial" movie Elba tweeted about? What a gip
Old 06-22-2011, 05:59 PM
I'm honestly pretty pleased with Tarantino choosing Foxx. Elba is a good actor, but I think Foxx is more suited for this particular role.

So in terms of the big roles we have:

Jamie Foxx as Django
Christoph Waltz as Dr. Schultz
Leonardo DiCaprio as Calvin Candie
Samuel L. Jackson as Stephen

Pretty damn good if you ask me. And even if you have doubts about a couple of the casting choices, just remember how well Tarantino can make even the most bizarre casting choices work out.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:03 PM
I am curious, however, as to why Michael K. Williams was never even in the discussion. He vocally expressed his interest in the role and Tarantino is apparently a huge fan of The Wire. Maybe they did meet up, but there doesn't seem to be any indication of that.

He really is the no-brainer choice IMO, but oh well. I'm sure Foxx will be fine.

Last edited by Bourne101; 06-22-2011 at 09:31 PM..
Old 06-22-2011, 07:40 PM
I think it's easy to see why Williams never came up. He's too old. Django is supposed to be younger, still in his prime, still eager to learn. Williams looks his age: 44. That just wouldn't really work for Django, especially not the way Tarantino wrote him. He's a solid actor, but he looks over the hill. That's also why Will Smith probably came up because he looks much younger than he actually is.

I'm not a fan of Foxx for the role either. I hope that's just talk. I'd prefer to see somebody younger take it.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:43 PM
Yeah I'm surprised at that too. Williams would have been perfect for this role. The only reason I can find why him and Ejiofor (my number one pick) were never seriously approached is because they don't have the star power that QT believe this film needs.

Anyway, I recently finished reading the script and I have to be honest and say that it was a little underwhelming. When I read the Basterds script I couldn't wait for the movie to come out. This time around, I'm like 'meh, I can wait'. Even within a new period it stills feels like same ole' Tarantino revenge tale. They're great fun, I'm sure this will be too, but it's deifintely loosing its specialty. I don't know ...

I know what you mean Bourne, but I still have a hard time picturing DiCaprio (who i think is an excellent actor) in the role of Calvin Candie. Josh Brolin, Ian McShane, Bryan Cranston...these guys I can picture. Sam Jackson as Stephen? You won't find a better fit anywhere. But this role? Has me wondering..

EDIT: Williams is 44?! WTF. He does not look that old at. all.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
I am curious, however, as to why Michael K. Williams was never even in the discussion. He vocally expressed his interest in the role and Tarantino is apparently a huge fan of The Wire. Maybe they did meet up, but there doesn't seem to be any indication of that.

He really is the no-brainer choice, but oh well. I'm sure Foxx will be fine.
I think the fact that his name was completely absent from the conversation means the money backers must have rejected him unequivocally.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
EDIT: Williams is 44?! WTF. He does not look that old at. all.
I was thinking the same thing. He's rugged looking, but he looks younger than 44.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I think the fact that his name was completely absent from the conversation means the money backers must have rejected him unequivocally.
I doubt this. We'll never know what happened behind closed doors. Tarantino could have likely met with a bunch of people we don't know about, but one thing is for sure, he always gets the final say on his cast. Lawrence Bender and the Weinsteins have always given Tarantino a free pass to do as he wishes on every movie he's made.

This is for everybody else. I still think Williams looks 44, which doesn't work for Django. I don't know why people can't see it. He looks over the hill, whereas Django clearly asks for somebody in their prime. Also... Jamie Foxx is 43. Do you honestly think Foxx and Williams look the same age?

Last edited by Cop No. 633; 06-23-2011 at 02:37 PM..
Old 06-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPuppet View Post
This is for everybody else. I still think Williams looks 44, which doesn't work for Django. I don't know why people can't see it. He looks over the hill, whereas Django clearly asks for somebody in their prime. Also... Jamie Foxx is 43. Do you honestly think Foxx and Williams look the same age?
In The Road he looked like he was 44, but they also made him look as old and rugged as possible. Otherwise though, if you had told me he was 35-40, I would have easily believed you. Maybe it's just the way he carries himself in movies and TV shows, but I would never have thought he was a few years away from the big 5-0.

I understand your concern though. Django does read much younger (younger than any of the suggestions and possibilities that I've heard), but the dialogue and potential accent is tailor-made for Williams.

I think Foxx has the look. In the descriptions of Django throughout the script and especially near the end, I can easily visualize Foxx. Elba has the talent, but I honestly can't picture him in the role.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I'm honestly pretty pleased with Tarantino choosing Foxx. Elba is a good actor, but I think Foxx is more suited for this particular role.

So in terms of the big roles we have:

Jamie Foxx as Django
Christoph Waltz as Dr. Schultz
Leonardo DiCaprio as Calvin Candie
Samuel L. Jackson as Stephen

Pretty damn good if you ask me. And even if you have doubts about a couple of the casting choices, just remember how well Tarantino can make even the most bizarre casting choices work out.
Totally agree. Tarantino has a vision and I'm not gonna question it
Old 06-24-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm very disappointed about the casting of Foxx. I think he's a pretty weak actor, and more often than not I want to slap him in the face (The Soloist takes the cake on that). I find him lacking the charisma and intelligence that is required for a Tarantino lead.

Leo as Candie is also another disappointment. I don't find Leo to be the great actor people make him out to be. More often than not his range is defined by how aggressive he squints at any given scene. Again, he lacks charisma and his take on "acting" more often than not boils down to playing everything "more intensely".

Leo is also simply too young for Candie. It should have gone to someone like Kevin Costner. There was a great brother-like relationship between Candi and Stephen in the script, now he'll have to rewrite it to be more of a father-son thing.

All in all, i'm sure they will turn out ok... it just sucks knowing that the two leads could have been so much better. At least we still have Jackson and Waltz.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:24 PM
I've been a fan of DiCaprio's since before his more recent outings (Blood Diamond, Inception, Shutter etc) and I feel like his roles in Catch Me If You Can and The Aviator are examples of where he did some legimate acting, especially since he didn't play a badass in either.

But its really a case where you feel like he's too young for the role, I buy that...
Old 06-24-2011, 07:48 PM
DiCaprio is my favorite actor working today, other than maybe Daniel Day-Lewis. I personally think his best performance is in The Departed. His portrayal of a character overwhelmed by the anxiety associated with going undercover was pure brilliance. Candie will certainly be a much different role than anything he has played in the past, but I think he can pull it off easily. I'm looking forward to seeing him finally play a villain.

I also don't remember visualizing him being as old as some of you did.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:46 AM
Dicaprio was ALWAYS a strong actor. Even in his heartthrob days. I mean in the 90's he was doing strong work in movies like What's Eating Gilbert Grape?, Marvin's Room, This Boy's Life, ect.. Plus, I sometimes think his work in Titanic is undervalued. The movie may be a visual marvel but it's also got a lot of heart and that comes from the great performances from Dicaprio and Kate Winslet and the superb supporting cast.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:06 PM
DiCaprio's casting is so interesting. I think many, myself included, have been voicing sentiments that he's kind of been on autopilot these past few years. That isn't to say that he isn't delivering good performances - on the contrary, he has proven himself to be one of the most consistently quality actors working today, and totally humble to boot. However, it's impossible to deny that his string of performances from The Departed and on through Inception have all had a very similar quality of intensity to them; the flawed hero, haunted by the past. So it'll be really cool to see him really let loose and ham it up as the villain. I'm ambivalent about Jamie Foxx's casting. Like others have said, he's a competent actor, but I'm not as passionate about him as I would be Will Smith or Idris Elba. Still, I'm sure Tarantino will work his magic as usual. Can't wait to see more!
Old 06-25-2011, 05:31 PM
The two DiCaprio performances that really amazed me were What's Eating Gilbert Grape and The Departed.

The Departed was actually perfect for his current trend of "hard boiled men" because his hard man persona was only a weak shell. His character was actually a bit of a silver spoon privileged yup that pretended to be a Southie tough guy all his life. This mirrors my actual view of DiCaprio pretty well. He'll always look like a kid playing tough the same way Winona Ryder always appeared as a girl playing dress up.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:06 PM
I'm OK with Foxx because he was phenomenal in Ray. Personally, I don't think any Smith performances have lived up to that.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:31 PM
My favorite performances from Dicaprio are his work in Titanic, The Departed, Catch Me If You Can and his most underrated work in Shutter Island which I thought was an incredible performance. I just love the movie too.

Still need to see Revolutionary Road though.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseanymacx View Post
I'm OK with Foxx because he was phenomenal in Ray. Personally, I don't think any Smith performances have lived up to that.
He was solid in Ray but I actually liked his performance in Any Given Sunday more. Underrated movie full of great performances especially from Pacino, Cameron Diaz and Foxx.

As for Smith, I thought he was incredible in The Pursuit of Happyness. I thought that was such an unbelievably moving performance in a movie that frequently had me teary eyed.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Quote:
DiCaprio is my favorite actor working today, other than maybe Daniel Day-Lewis. I personally think his best performance is in The Departed. His portrayal of a character overwhelmed by the anxiety associated with going undercover was pure brilliance. Candie will certainly be a much different role than anything he has played in the past, but I think he can pull it off easily. I'm looking forward to seeing him finally play a villain.
Amen. Leo is my 3rd favorite, after Day-Lewis and Viggo Mortensen.

Knowing next to nothing about the role Leo's been cast for, I cannot speak for whether or nor he's the right age, but I will defend to my dying days his talent as an actor (and I say this as someone who despised TITANIC when it came out). So what if his roles are similar. As long as he does them well, I couldn't care less. Plus, he'll be showing some range when he plays J. Edgar Hoover this fall.