Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Looks like the hype that's trickling from Cannes is real, and will only continue to grow.

New images released today - featuring Waltz, Leo, Foxx and more

See all images - http://bit.ly/KAQMCr
Old 05-28-2012, 05:02 PM
I can't explain why but this image makes me LOL incontrollably

Old 05-28-2012, 07:47 PM
It would be great if this ends up being Tarantino's best film since Pulp Fiction. I personally found Inglourious Basterds to be overrated. I enjoyed it, but I didn't love it.

I did love the Kill Bill movies but I wouldn't put them on the same level as Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs. Still, I'd be okay with Django Unchained being on the same level as the Kill Bill movies. Still would prefer a 4 star movie (Reservoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction) over a 3.5 star movie (the Kill Bill movies).

It's certainly the best ensemble cast for a Tarantino movie since Jackie Brown.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Along with The Hobbit - these are two end of the year treats I can't wait for! Lookin like its gonna kick so much ass! Can't wait to get a teaser...
Old 05-28-2012, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectRatio1986 View Post
Along with The Hobbit - these are two end of the year treats I can't wait for! Lookin like its gonna kick so much ass! Can't wait to get a teaser...
And Lincoln, and Flight, and The Great Gatsby, and Life if Pi, and Les Miserables and Skyfall, and Cloud Atlas.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:17 AM
Really, take the superheroes out of the summer (Avengers, Spider-Man & Batman) and the end of the year films look FAR better then anything else this summer. (Still not sold on Prometheus)
Old 05-29-2012, 10:24 AM
I'm really going to be spending a lot of money come this Fall/Winter. I'll be forced to sneak into The Great Gasby after I check out Django Unchained.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:36 AM
So who else just doesn't give a fuck about Fox being Django? I'm looking at the pics and I'm not sold. I doubt even footage will make me change my mind. This bit of casting is the only thing that doesn't do it for me.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
So who else just doesn't give a fuck about Fox being Django? I'm looking at the pics and I'm not sold. I doubt even footage will make me change my mind. This bit of casting is the only thing that doesn't do it for me.
Honestly, I still don't know what to think either, but I trust QT's talent for casting. He has a very solid track record. I can't recall any lead who couldn't pull his weight on one of his films. Who knows, this could be Jamie's $3.99 Grand Slam. Me thinks Jamie's has an ace up his sleeve.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
I would have settled for Fox over Smith, but I would have much preferred Idris Elba.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Smith > Elba > Fox

But even with Fox, I'm still really excited about this movie.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Smith > Elba > Fox

But even with Fox, I'm still really excited about this movie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=UMbZDF4IpXo
Old 05-30-2012, 01:55 PM
Those who saw footage at Cannes said it looks like Foxx nailed it, so I'm not too worried. I prefer him to Smith in this particular role and didn't really picture Elba when reading the script. I trust Tarantino's judgement when casting. He's had very few casting missteps in his career.

Last edited by Bourne101; 05-30-2012 at 01:59 PM..
Old 05-30-2012, 04:17 PM

Not worried at all about Foxx. In fact I liked the choice from the get go. Foxx is damn good actor and has surprising range (imo Collateral is his best work. Even better than Ray)
Old 05-30-2012, 05:25 PM
I also like Foxx better in this role than William Smith.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
Ha. I always found Wild Wild West to be a big guilty pleasure.

And Smith is the most charismatic of the 3 and while Elba is a good actor, I think Smith is terrific too and really does have real acting chops that he proved in movies like The Pursuit of Happyness (no Smith mannerisms in that movie, he completely disappeared into his role in that movie and was incredibly moving in it). Plus, I would just LOVE to see Smith team up with Tarantino. I mean, c'mon! How awesome would that be!

This is all pointless talk of course because Tarantino chose Fox. And I like Fox too so I've always been fine with this choice. Fox was FANTASTIC in Any Given Sunday. IMO, THAT was his best performance. Not Ray, not Collateral though both of those are perfectly solid performances. He was good in The Kingdom too.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:39 PM
There's an ET preview tomorrow night, so that pretty much guarantees we will see the full trailer online tomorrow night. It clocks in at 2:21, so it's probably more than a teaser.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
There's an ET preview tomorrow night, so that pretty much guarantees we will see the full trailer online tomorrow night. It clocks in at 2:21, so it's probably more than a teaser.
Fuck yeah! Can't wait
Old 06-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Did you sayyyyyyyy trailer?? WOOOO. Honestly didnt expect one for like another month or two! Yesssssssssss!
Old 06-05-2012, 06:23 PM
ET teaser for the trailer released tomorrow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIGKwpwF1t8
Old 06-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Boss!
Old 06-06-2012, 03:42 PM

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=rC8VJ9aeB_g

Last edited by Bourne101; 06-06-2012 at 08:07 PM..
Old 06-06-2012, 03:55 PM
I love the footage. I think the trailer could've been cut better, but I don't care... my butt will still be in the movie theater come opening day. That's the QT promise.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Trailer didn't blow me away, but I'm sure it's just the way it's cut.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:08 PM
This movie had my curiosity, but now it has my attention.

I still kinda wish Tarantino would grow the fuck up, though...
Old 06-06-2012, 05:33 PM
This looks like a lot of fun. Leo is gonna be awesome in this
Old 06-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Trailer didn't blow me away, but then again neither did the screenplay. I think it will be a very good movie, but I really wish Tarantino would stop making these types of films (hasn't he made enough of them?) and return to the maturity he displayed in his first three films.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Trailer reassured my interest. Leo looks great, Foxx looks great, everything looks great. You can still find the trailer on Tumblr btw.

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/django-...ore=1339019083
Old 06-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop No. 633 View Post
I love the footage. I think the trailer could've been cut better, but I don't care... my butt will still be in the movie theater come opening day. That's the QT promise.
Agreed. They essentially just tried to explain the plot, which made for an oddly cut trailer (Basterds was the same way), but the footage itself looked fantastic. I learned 4 things from watching this trailer: DiCaprio is going to kill it (I see an Oscar nom, at least), Foxx is going to kill it, Waltz is going to kill it (loved the tooth on top of his carriage), and visually it looks fantastic. I was actually expecting it to look a little glossier like Basterds, but it's definitely shot like a Western, which I'm happy about.

If anyone comes across a gif of that zoom-in on DiCaprio with the shit-eating grin on his face, please post it.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Agreed. They essentially just tried to explain the plot, which made for an oddly cut trailer (Basterds was the same way), but the footage itself looked fantastic. I learned 4 things from watching this trailer: DiCaprio is going to kill it (I see an Oscar nom, at least), Foxx is going to kill it, Waltz is going to kill it (loved the tooth on top of his carriage), and visually it looks fantastic. I was actually expecting it to look a little glossier like Basterds, but it's definitely shot like a Western, which I'm happy about.

If anyone comes across a gif of that zoom-in on DiCaprio with the shit-eating grin on his face, please post it.
Do you really think they explained the plot? Watching it, I was thinking the opposite; like, "Oh OK they're going to market the film by making it look like an awesome revenge Western, cleverly ignoring the racism." To the extent the racism was shown, it was all in ways pretty much everyone will clap at, e.g. the shooting white people joke, Django shooting down the jerkoff slaver. All in all I think it is an extremely clever marketing pitch.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:27 PM
trailer is out - http://bit.ly/L3W4pN
Old 06-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Do you really think they explained the plot? Watching it, I was thinking the opposite; like, "Oh OK they're going to market the film by making it look like an awesome revenge Western, cleverly ignoring the racism." To the extent the racism was shown, it was all in ways pretty much everyone will clap at, e.g. the shooting white people joke, Django shooting down the jerkoff slaver. All in all I think it is an extremely clever marketing pitch.
I don't disagree with you. In fact, I think you are saying what I was thinking. They are essentially just trying to show the basic plot points (Schultz finding Django, Django helping him out, Schultz helping Django out, revenge, etc.), which prevents the trailer from getting into the meat of the movie (which is probably a good thing).
Old 06-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Quote:

Last edited by Roy Batty; 06-06-2012 at 11:08 PM..
Old 06-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Youtube link of trailer.
http://youtu.be/eUdM9vrCbow
Old 06-06-2012, 09:09 PM
It looks good, but Tarantino really needs to stop having such a heavy emphasis on showing how much he loves classic cinema. I don't care if you want to nod it but with his last couple movie, ESPECIALLY this one, it looks like hes trying too hard.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:15 PM
I'm no expert or even a Tarantino fanboy, but it seems obvious at this point that the man isn't striving to be anything but himself. If what's on display in this trailer isn't satisfying to you, man, I don't know what tell ya. I was on board before I saw a single still, but this trailer really sells the hell out this thing. The performances, cinematography, and dialogue all look top notch.

If anyone is looking for more "mature" dramatic storytelling (on an equal plain of film-making quality) we have PTA's "TheMaster" to chew on. Personally, I'm really pumped for both.

Last edited by Delmont ; 06-06-2012 at 10:26 PM..
Old 06-06-2012, 11:02 PM
^^

I completely agree, let Tarantino pay his nods and respects to specific genres, he does it so well. Quentin presents this style by combining the new with the old, and by presenting this almost complete nostalgic feel, his films have never been bad. There's plenty of directors that do the slow and melodramatic sole character driven stories, I appreciate Quentin's films because he always has a host of interesting characters that a filled with their own personalities--even if their roles are minuscule. I'm tired of hearing "[H]e needs to grow up!" or "[H]e needs to stop paying so much homage to older movies and just do his own movie!" He is doing his own movies!
Old 06-06-2012, 11:33 PM
The trailer definitely makes it look like less Pulp Fiction/Jackie Brown/Reservoir Dogs and more Inglorouis Basterds, which is definitely a bit disappointing. Don't get me wrong, I'm still looking forward to it, but consider my expectations lowered now.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:42 AM
Anybody else love the image of the blood on the cotton fields?
Old 06-07-2012, 04:36 AM
I doubt the trailer tells the entire story. I'm sure it will be more serious than what the trailer implies.

QT can keep making these movies for the rest of his career. We have plenty of "serious" directors and films.