Old 06-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Ted

Directed by Seth MacFarlane

Written by Seth MacFarlane

Genre: Comedy

Plot Outline: A story centered on a man and his teddy bear, who comes to life as the result of a childhood wish.

Starring: Mark Wahlberg, Mila Kunis, Seth MacFarlane, Joel McHale, Giovanni Ribisi

Rated R for crude and sexual content, pervasive language, and some drug use

Runtime: 106 minutes

Looks kinda funny. I'll probably give it a look.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:25 AM
Not a fan of Family Guy but this does look fairly amusing.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:36 AM
I might check this out this weekend with a couple friends.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:49 PM

ATTENTION:

If you pre-order "Ted" on Amazon.com you get $10 in Fandango Cash towards the movie!! Here's the kicker, you can always cancel your order! Doesn't get much better than that and quite a few studios have been doing this lately. MIB 3 and Prometheus also did this...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...d_i=B005LAII1C

Hope this helps some Schmoes out!!
Old 06-28-2012, 02:35 PM
I am going to the midnight showing of Ted tonight. Excited it looks really funny. It has a 71% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Last edited by Flimmaker1473; 06-28-2012 at 02:39 PM..
Old 06-29-2012, 01:46 AM
9/10

Ted is this year's best comedy so far. Laughs are abundant in a film that has a plot that you would think would be for a kid's movie. But that is not the case.

Seth MacFarlane who is known for creating Family Guy, American Dad, and The Cleveland show writes and directs a lovely comedy in his first attempt.

I went to see this movie and it was probably my worst theater experience. The film started late, and there were a group of people who talked through the whole entire film. So much I yelled to them to shut up more than once. But I digress.

John Bennett (Mark Wahlberg) had no friends when he was a kid. He gets a Teddy Bear for Christmas and wishes it can come to life. What kid doesn't wish for their Teddy Bear to be real? Like Winnie the Pooh even? I know I did.

But the bear actually becomes real. And it is the start of a beautiful friendship.

Fast Forward years later and Ted has grown up into an decent guy. He has a decent job at a car dealership and has a hot girlfriend of four years named Lori Collins (Mila Kunis).

But John is somewhat a man child. He gets high with his Teddy Bear and watches Flash Gordon with him. Lori is starting to get sick of her man child boyfriend and wants to kick Ted out. The events after that you will have to see for yourself. And they are worth seeing.

There is also danger. Donny (Giovanni Ribisi) wants to buy Ted to give it to his child. He has been obsessed with Ted since he was a kid and saw him on Carson (yes Ted was on Carson).

I can't stop saying how impressed I am with Seth MacFarlane. I feel that his humor can be hit or missed. But in his debut it is hitting it's marks. It is constantly funny and amusing.

Ted also is able to touch human emotions and a way you wouldn't think possible given the premise. This film never runs out of ideas and keeps going.

Think of Ted as a sophisticated Family Guy episode. Very and has a nice message at the same time without taking itself too seriously.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:05 PM
I actually saw this flick back in January when it still wasn't finished and thought it was super hilarious. Even though many scenes were not finished (CGI wise) the best thing going for this movie is it just has a funny script.

I saw it again about a month ago and saw the finished product and they had added some stuff and it still played absolutely hilarious.

It is just a super hilarious comedy
Old 06-29-2012, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
I actually saw this flick back in January when it still wasn't finished and thought it was super hilarious. Even though many scenes were not finished (CGI wise) the best thing going for this movie is it just has a funny script.

I saw it again about a month ago and saw the finished product and they had added some stuff and it still played absolutely hilarious.

It is just a super hilarious comedy

How in the fuck do you watch movies early?...lucky SOB.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:54 PM
haha! Just a perk of living in Los Angeles!
Old 06-29-2012, 04:56 PM

I was really surprised how funny this was. Seth Macfarlane is really hit or miss for me but he nailed it out of the park with Ted. I was laughing through out the entire film and the audience I saw it with was too.

My favorite part had to be them partying with Flash Gordon. Fuckin hilarious.

Oh and the cameo by a certain someone was also really well done too haha.

9/10
Old 06-30-2012, 02:09 AM
Flash Gordon stuff was hilarious.

You definitely get a Family Guy vibe from this movie with the somewhat random pop culture references and the crudeness, but even though I'm not a fan of Family Guy (any more at least), it works wonderfully in this movie.

8/10.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:38 AM
Ted - 8/10 or ****/***** stars

Ted is not only one of the best comedies I've seen in the last decade, but it's also the best work of Seth MacFarlane's career (thus far). My only question is: What the hell took MacFarlane so long to make a feature-length film?! Ted, of course, is centered around a foul-mouthed, pot-smoking, degenerate stuffed teddy bear, who is magically brought to life on-screen via brilliant voice work by MacFarlane and stunning CGI. Although the titular character is a work of CGI wizardry, the chemistry shared between said character and Mark Wahlberg, who is surprisingly funny here, is the highlight of the entire film. Not to mention their unlikely, yet loving "bromance" is completely believable. In addition to MacFarlane and Wahlberg, the cast includes Mila Kunis, Giovanni Ribisi (I'm so happy MacFarlane found a role for him, because he is such a criminally underrated actor), Joel McHale, and several cameos, all of whom have their moments to serve up laughs. As a comedy, Ted is uproariously, consistently and unapologetically funny in its raunchiness, stupidity, razor-sharp wit, and vast array of pop-culture references (some are easy to point out, while others are obscure). Just when you think Ted is about to slow down and become dull, MacFarlane finds a way to put the characters in another hilariously over-the-top situation, which keeps the film well-paced. MacFarlane also does something else here, something that blindsided me: The tender, heartfelt moments in the third and final act, which are shockingly effective and touching, elevating the film above the average raunchy comedy. What MacFarlane has accomplished with Ted is quite impressive, and if and when his television shows end, there will be a successful career waiting for him in the film industry.

Note: I actually wanted to assign Ted a 9/10, but I'm going to wait to see how the film holds up with a second and possibly third viewing.

Strider

Last edited by Strider; 07-11-2012 at 05:02 PM..
Old 06-30-2012, 01:03 PM

Looks like this opened bigger than expected and took in over $20 million on Friday alone...I'm checking it out tomorrow.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post

Oh and the cameo by a certain someone was also really well done too haha.

9/10

Spoiler:
Ryan Reynolds?... That cameo was fucking hilarious! Especially since he didn't talk at all, he was just Warburtons gay lover! Super hilarious
Old 06-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
Spoiler:
Ryan Reynolds?... That cameo was fucking hilarious! Especially since he didn't talk at all, he was just Warburtons gay lover! Super hilarious

Yeah that cameo was inspired, people love that moment.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectRatio1986 View Post
Looks like this opened bigger than expected and took in over $20 million on Friday alone...I'm checking it out tomorrow.
Jesus, I had a feeling it would do well, but was anyone tracking it anywhere near that high? Hard R, CGI DEPENDENT, high concept comedy about a foul mouthed teddy bear that smokes pot and makes rape jokes? I admit I have very much not liked the last few years of the once great Family Guy, but I don't think anyone can argue anymore that (to the general public at least) he is (quite obviously now too i'd say) the most influential name in comedy to come along in DECADES. NO ONE else would have hit that opening day figure with this flick regardless of how funny the trailers looked, and remember the trailers for this honestly weren't the funniest...his name as a brand alone is the reason for that figure, and with the WOM seemingly very good from most people- including myself...I'd say we have the first reasonably surprising hit of the summer.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:10 PM
Ted - 7/10

Based on the trailers I thought this looked pretty funny, but nothing special, but it turned out to be absolutely hilarious. Not only is it consistently funny, but there are a handful of scenes that made me laugh harder than anything I've seen in a while. The Flash Gordon party scene is legendary. The way it was shot and cut was perfect. Then there's the subplot with Giovanni Ribisi and Tubby McFatfuck, which at first you think is going to drag the movie down, but ends up being one of the best parts of the movie. It made for a dark and hilarious climax. Ted's reaction when Tubby asks if he needs to wash his hands before playing hide and seek is perfect. It also has a bit of the randomness of Family Guy, but where it often falls flat on that show, it really works well here. All in all, a really funny movie with a surprising amount of heart. I think the thing that puts it above a lot of modern comedies is that it doesn't run out of steam. The biggest laugh of the movie comes in the last 3 minutes or so.

Spoiler:
When Ted comes back from the dead and fools Marky Mark into thinking he's retarded is the hardest I've laughed in ages.

Last edited by Bourne101; 07-21-2012 at 11:04 AM..
Old 06-30-2012, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynMONROBOT View Post
Jesus, I had a feeling it would do well, but was anyone tracking it anywhere near that high? Hard R, CGI DEPENDENT, high concept comedy about a foul mouthed teddy bear that smokes pot and makes rape jokes?
Seriously. My friends and I tried to see a 9:40 last night thinking it would be easy to get in. Not only was it sold out, but the 10:10 and 10:40 were also sold out when we got to the theater (about 9:20). Had to settle for the 11:10. Really shocked how many people checked it out. Happy, too, cause it was pretty awesome.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:52 PM
This didn't feel like a comedy of random sketches or pointless Family Guy "Hey remember the time..." flashbacks. The jokes were non-stop but increasingly layered within the story so everything felt organic.

Spoiler:

* Patrick Stewart's opening monologue about Bieber, Muniz, etc and who gives a shit was great.

* "Fuck you, thunder!"

*The Susan Boyle line was perfectly delivered.

* So was Joel McHale's fart: "Finally!"

* The Tom Skerritt stuff didn't go over with the audience, but I chuckled at seeing him at the wedding, dressed up but looking bedraggled.

* Ryan Reynold's silent, bemused cameo, paying off the "Gay Fight Club" throwaway line from Patrick Warburton earlier.

* Again, maybe a different generation, but I genuinely chuckled at the Airplane! reference, complete with the "boing" sound effects and swinging by the feet.

* The Lance Armstrong bronzed nut joke may have went a little too far (heard a lot of quiet "ooohs" rather than laughs) but it was still funny. "Sometimes you feel like a nut..." "And sometimes you don't."

* Ted's reaction to getting promoted for having sex, and his subsequent story about giving the post-coital parsnips to the family of four children. Awesome.

* Credit to Wahlberg, who's been building up his comedic resume quite solidly since introducing it in The Happening. Case in point, his reaction to the television set crushing his dick, or his rapid fire listing of white trash names.

The best comedy of the year.

8/10

Last edited by Lazy Boy; 06-30-2012 at 04:00 PM..
Old 06-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynMONROBOT View Post
I don't think anyone can argue anymore that (to the general public at least) he is (quite obviously now too i'd say) the most influential name in comedy to come along in DECADES. NO ONE else would have hit that opening day figure with this flick regardless of how funny the trailers looked, and remember the trailers for this honestly weren't the funniest...his name as a brand alone is the reason for that figure
Judd Apatow, Todd Phillips, Ben Stiller, Jay Roach, Tom Shadyac...

As brands, Adam Sandler, Jim Carrey, Chris Rock, Ben Stiller (again), Will Ferrell...

I think it's just inaccurate to say no one else could have hit that opening day figure besides MacFarlane since many other comedy filmmakers routinely hit that whatever their premise is and I think it'd be hard to argue MacFarlane is a more influential name in comedy than, just for instance from the last couple decades, Larry David, Matt Groening, Trey Parker and Matt Stone, Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle, Jon Stewart, Judd Apatow, Ricky Gervais, and more.

I'd say he had a very funny looking movie that always got lots of laughs when I saw the trailer play, featured a major comedy star in the lead (Mark Wahlberg), was high-concept and had a well-timed release. I'm sure Family Guy fans coming out helped it and it's a bigger than expected success for sure, but let's not start throwing around hyperbole just because the man had one good opening weekend.

It seems like I had more problems with the third act than most of you, but I still thought it was hilarious, surprisingly well-written and directed and this I can agree with:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Boy View Post
The best comedy of the year.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post

I think it's just inaccurate to say no one else could have hit that opening day figure besides MacFarlane since many other comedy filmmakers routinely hit that whatever their premise is
Not true. Ted's opening was the highest for an original R-rated comedy, and 3rd highest for an R-rated comedy behind Sex and the City and Hangover II. Definitely something to be lauded.

However, I agree with the rest of your post, mainly because box office success doesn't really correlate with the influence of a comedian. Especially when so many comedians (Parker and Stone, Larry David) don't even make movies really. MacFarlane is WAY behind those guys, and probably many others. But still, Ted's success is one of the more impressive things I've seen this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post
It seems like I had more problems with the third act than most of you
I also had problems with the third act, but I appreciated that the movie never lost its tone. The crude jokes kept coming (Ted roasting the son was hilarious) and it never got too sappy. I was afraid it was going that direction at one point, but it quickly got right back on track. So yeah, it felt kind of tacked on and made the movie a little uneven perhaps, but it didn't detract from it too much in my opinion.

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 06-30-2012 at 08:39 PM..
Old 06-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Was very skeptical about this, but having read many reviews on here I think I'll give it a chance sometime this week after I check out Spider-Man.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Very funny and would've given an 8/10, but theres one scene with a parody of Airplane! that is so fucking awful, it lowers a complete point for me. The rest is still funny, though.

7/10
Old 06-30-2012, 11:23 PM
Just saw this tonight and thought it hilarious. I agree with Bourne that part was hilarious along with their fight in the hotel room I honest had tears coming out of my eyes. 8/10
Old 07-01-2012, 07:17 AM
It's actually been quite a while since I saw a comedy that almost had me spitting my drink out..I still don't understand all the Family Guy hate..Ted was pretty much just live action comedy with the same humor as Family Guy
Old 07-01-2012, 07:23 AM
I'm absolutely perplexed by the positive response to this movie. I guess Seth MacFarlane has more fans than I realized. That he has fans at all makes me hate humanity a little.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Vicious View Post
I'm absolutely perplexed by the positive response to this movie. I guess Seth MacFarlane has more fans than I realized. That he has fans at all makes me hate humanity a little.
I'm perplexed at your level of butt hurt about a movie you haven't seen.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Quote:
I am not a Seth MacFarlane fan. But I like good movies. At first I thought the movie looked stupid based on the premise. But after seeing the previews, I decided to give it a shot. I watched it and was blown away on how funny it was. Maybe you will be too.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Quote:
I'm perplexed as to why people think they are so cool by overly hating shit just because it's popular.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beard_of_Meat View Post
It's actually been quite a while since I saw a comedy that almost had me spitting my drink out..I still don't understand all the Family Guy hate..Ted was pretty much just live action comedy with the same humor as Family Guy
Two major differences.

1) Family Guy completely changed from what it was before it was cancelled. It's not as good. I don't think it's garnered "hate" as much as it has "disappointment," but I could be wrong.

2) The humor in the new Family Guy relies too much on random cuts. The show itself is just a canvas for ridiculous cutaways, but Ted is not like that at all. The sense of humor is similar, but it's presented much more logically within the story. Even the somewhat random pop culture references that MacFarlane clearly loves (like the Frankie Muniz stuff) still really fit in with the rest of the movie.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Very funny and raunchy movie. 7/10
Anyone else have a theater full of small children at their showing? It was an early show but I kept wondering if these people thought it was a kids movie. Then again nobody ran out covering the eyes and ears of their young ones so chalk it up to bad parenting.

Spoiler:
I like to think of myself as a mature adult but the biggest laugh for me was McHales fart after Mila walked away. "Finally"
Can't tell you how many time I've actually done that. Especially after a movie date. Popcorn always does it to me.
I want to party with Flash Gordan.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:55 PM

Just got back from this...solid comedy no doubt. Quick score I'd have to give it an 8/10 - could go up upon repeat viewings. Definitely be picking up the Blu in the future....
Old 07-01-2012, 07:06 PM
4/5

just flat out funny.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:03 PM
I don't normally do comedies. From time to time, I need a change of pace and see one, and "Ted" was worth it. It is hysterical. I am not a laugh-out-loud kind of guy. I tend to laugh to myself and may chuckle at the very least. Conan O'Brien is someone who does make me laugh out loud regularly. And I find the second run of "Family Guy" to be mostly hit over miss, although it is no longer "must see TV" on Sundays anymore. Well this movie, it made me laugh out loud. Many times. It was extremely funny and crude, but also had a lot of heart. From Sam Jones/Flash Gordon, to everyone knowing Tom Skerrit, there were a lot of nice touches.

This is "Family Guy: The Movie" in terms of Seth McFarlane's sense of humor and conventions found in the show, and it played off nicely. It even features two "Like that time when we..." flashbacks. I recognized the "Airplane!" flashback. It was still funny, but somewhat blatant. Sometimes, there is little point in lifting a classic scene frame-for-frame. Some of the crude and literal potty humor made me look away from the screen. That probably means success to the filmmakers, so bravo. And lastly, the only thing that I disliked was the singling out of Brandon Routh of "Superman Returns." I am one of the 22 people on Earth to enjoy it. Didn't appreciate that jab. Felt too random.

Last edited by Duke Nukem; 07-01-2012 at 08:09 PM..
Old 07-01-2012, 11:08 PM
I'm a confessed Seth Macfarlane fanboy. I've seen every single episode of Family Guy and American Dad, and I own all the DVDs. I've written 2 Family Guy spec scripts for Christ sake. I consider Alec Sulkin the best twitter personality, that being said...

meh.

Plenty of funny parts, but the fact that i am such a FG encyclopedia almost ruined it in a way. There are a ton of recycled bits from the show, and a lot of the jokes in the movie were pretty bad. For every great joke/gag there was an equally bad/awkward gag.

I know this is Seth's first directing gig, live action at least, but the cuts in this movie were weird. Scenes never ended when they should have... mostly with the live action actors. they lingered on scenes like in the restaurant to where you expect a punchline or something to segway into the next scene, but it just stops

Everytime the character of Ted wasn't on screen the movie absolutely dragged. Wahlberg was ok, Kunis was cute, but the humans in this movie were weak overall. Joel McHale playing Joel McHale was terrible. That character's dialogue should have been funny, and it wasn't at all. Warburton was a total waste (the cameo was pretty funny though) Giovanni Ribisi was actually really good, but that whole storyline was a bit forced.

The whole Flash Gordon subplot didn't do anything for me. I've been seeing a lot of "i hate Family Guy but i loved Ted" and i gotta say, it's absolute bullshit. deny it all you want, this movie was like Family Guy. obscure pop culture references, random humor, dragged out jokes, over the top fights, they even had a friggen exact duplicate cutaway in the movie. Oh and this is a nitpick, but the last joke of the movie (Taylor Lautner) was brutal. I also love anything Patrick Stewart does on the MacFarlane shows, and his narration was funny... until the Apache helicopter bit, not funny.

I dont know. I read the screenplay a year ago and the movie turned out better than the script, but it was still only pretty good.

Can't decide if its a 5 or a 6. I'll go 6/10 b/c Ted himself was pretty awesome.

21 Jump Street was still funnier to me b/c it surprised the hell out of me. This one let me down a bit. Other than that, i dont even know what other comedies are in the running. Dictator was ok i guess, but nothing great.

Last edited by Conz; 07-01-2012 at 11:13 PM..
Old 07-02-2012, 07:38 AM
There are so many reasons the movie TED shouldn't work,and it definitely could have been a one joke movie.
Ted deserves praise for working on so many levels.
In 1985, near Boston lonely John Bennett receives a teddy bear for Christmas,he can electronically say a few words,but
John adores the plush toy.One night he makes a wish for Ted to become real and that they become friends forever.
Wish granted due to a falling star and big laughs follow.

Director/writer Seth MacFarlane blends a raunchy buddy comedy,irreverent fractured fairy tale,and even a bit of a thriller
with a lot of hilarity and heart.
Tons of praise should be heaped upon Mark Wahlberg and Mila Kunis who in reality filmed their scenes with only a pair of eyes
and a frame of Ted to look upon.
Surprising celeb cameos,one liners galore,and about a thousand pop culture references add to the films hilarious moments.
Every joke doesnt work,and i like Joel McHale but he was basically portraying the same character from the film
What's Your Number?
Still you know a film has done something right when the audience swoons over and comes to care about the foul mouthed,
pot smoking Ted.
Even a subplot involving a kidnapping that starts off a bit stiff and grating becomes hilarious due to Ted's one liners and
some ultra creepy performances from Giovanni Ribisi, as a crazed stalker who idolized Ted as a child,and Aedin Mincks as his son
Robert.
Im looking forward to the DVD which will hopefully include some hilarious outtakes and scenes that were cut.
Scale of 1-10 an 8
Old 07-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
Two major differences.

1) Family Guy completely changed from what it was before it was cancelled. It's not as good. I don't think it's garnered "hate" as much as it has "disappointment," but I could be wrong.

2) The humor in the new Family Guy relies too much on random cuts. The show itself is just a canvas for ridiculous cutaways, but Ted is not like that at all. The sense of humor is similar, but it's presented much more logically within the story. Even the somewhat random pop culture references that MacFarlane clearly loves (like the Frankie Muniz stuff) still really fit in with the rest of the movie.
I don't see it..I have been watching FG since it debuted in '99 and FG has always been full of random ridiculous cut away's..It has changed since its debut but overall it still very much the same old show...Either way though MacFarlane has clearly shown with Ted that he still has a few tricks up his sleeve.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Yeah I preferred Family Guy when it came back after it was cancelled, just me though. All these positive reviews have me excited for Ted, probably see it next week.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Well l have seen a preveiw of Ted on tv and l have to say it looks quite funny

Plus abit rude in bits
Old 07-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Review: Ted - tons of hype, tons of laughs, could have used more of one and less of the other - http://bit.ly/PdGayN