Old 06-21-2011, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight81 View Post
Yeah, I get what you guys are saying. Bad movies sometimes do well and good movies sometimes do poorly. I know box office results isn't the best way to judge a film's quality. All I'm saying is that Xmen is a huge franchise, it was well reviewed, the only reason I can see it under-performing is because word of mouth is not strong. Honestly, outside of this site and RT, I haven't heard one person say they loved this movie.
Faulty logic.

WOM doesn't set in on the opening day, or on the first weekend.

The film opened modestly, but it's having better legs than the previous X-men movies, excluding the first one. Which means that there wasn't that much initial interest in the film, but audiences are liking it. It's not going to get great legs, because it's not having *great* WOM, and this franchise has always been naturally frontloaded.

Why did the film open modestly? Simple: It's a 5th film in a series, which usually means greatly reduced B.O (FF5 is a rare exception), because audiences get tired of the same thing. Moreover, the last two films in the franchise had killed some of the goodwill, leading to a smaller opening. Also it has none of the stars of the previous films, and it doesn't have the most beloved character of the previous films.

That's four pretty important reasons on why there was less anticipation for X-men: First Class. So the opening weekend was underwhelming, but the WOM is good.

Last edited by Tuukka; 06-21-2011 at 01:51 AM..
Old 06-21-2011, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post
Why did the film open modestly? Simple: It's a 5th film in a series, which usually means greatly reduced B.O (FF5 is a rare exception), because audiences get tired of the same thing.
Apparently people didn't get that memo when Fast Five came out.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:50 AM
Hence why he has in parenthesis that that movie is the rare exception.

But James Bond is another exception. Although it was rebooted afterwards, Die Another Day was actually a pretty big hit I believe.

It took Star Trek almost twice as long as 5 before it's box office numbers went down, hence of course the reboot.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dud View Post
This "review" is very vague and almost entirely subjective. Do you have any objective criticism to argue your stance on this film? I am asking this in all sincerity, because it would be nice to get a good debate started, but for that to happen, both sides have to present real evidence.

And, no, I did not read James' review because your review should reflect your personal opinions, not his.
I wasn't really trying to write a review, just a blurb explaining my thoughts. I'd love to write long, detailed reviews, but the fact is I don't have time to do that.

I have to say I always find it interesting when people ask for 'objective' criticism on films. Films by nature are subjective and almost always going to be interpreted differently by different people depending on their personal feelings, tastes or opinions. Therefore, I don't believe films can really be looked at objectively, so to speak. Even professional critics are subjective in their reviews.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlegend23 View Post
I wasn't really trying to write a review, just a blurb explaining my thoughts. I'd love to write long, detailed reviews, but the fact is I don't have time to do that.

I have to say I always find it interesting when people ask for 'objective' criticism on films. Films by nature are subjective and almost always going to be interpreted differently by different people depending on their personal feelings, tastes or opinions. Therefore, I don't believe films can really be looked at objectively, so to speak. Even professional critics are subjective in their reviews.
Maybe not so much objectivity as defined standards. Most good critics have them, although they will contradict them frequently. My own reviews are not exactly long or detailed at all. Usually no more than eight sentences, but I give some clear reasoning behind my opinion. Now, there is subjectivity behind those reasons, but they are clearly given. Anyways, opinions are personal to everybody, and I have nothing against yours. I was just looking for your reasons for being underwhelmed by the film.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
Also the Mystique/Xavier relationship is just odd:

Spoiler:
She's his only friend and he's happy for her to go off and be evil at the end? Eh?
He wasn't happy about it. Perhaps he was more preoccupied with the bullet wound in his spine, and was planning to have words with her later on.

With Magneto wearing that helmet, there's no way for X to know the extent of his plans and his intention to wage war on all mankind and not just armies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
Spoiler:
Why in the name of sweet Christmas did Magneto DEFLECT the bullets at the end instead of just stopping them, or stopping the gun, or choking her like he does a second later, or any of a dozen things that it makes more sense to do?

Given what a big, important moment that is, it's hard to overlook something like that.
One moment he's trying to navigate the missiles back to the humans, then Moira starts shooting at him from behind and caught him off guard. Magneto has only just reached this level of power. Its believable that he could react poorly under rapid fire while his back's turned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn-o View Post
Examples:
Spoiler:
Xavier mentions in X1 and Magneto mentions in X2 that they built Xavier's model of Cerebro together, the way this movie ended they couldn't have. Also the beginning of X3 now doesnt make any sense either because they are enemies.
They could've built it together. It just wasn't mentioned. It could also be in a sequel; afterall, they both share a common interest in helping fellow mutants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
Spoiler:
That's not the only continuity issue. Another being Professor X being paralyzed at the end of first class, but walking around at the beginning of Last Stand. Another issue is Beast' statement to Logan (Wolverine) "I've been fighting for mutant rights since before you had claws." And of course, lets not forget that Charles and Eric were friends for many years before their fallout, not only three weeks.
I always thought that Professor X, knowing how powerful Jean was, had sent some sort of avatar to see her. This explains how he doesn't die later when he visits Phoenix, because he was at the mansion with Moira while sending an avatar to see Phoenix.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Oscar on the horizon for First Class?

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/pro...allenges-24914

Quote:
Even with two visual effects Oscars under his belt, effects guru John Dykstra was presented with some of his most challenging work ever for 20th Century Fox’s X-Men: First Class.

"The thousands of visual effects shots in X-Men: First Class helped push the film to nearly $350 million at the worldwide box office and prompts talk that Dykstra could see another Academy Award nomination. He credits the crew of the film, specifically the director, for making the finished product such a visual treat.
I'm excited about the DVD release tomorrow. The first film this year I can't wait to own.

This held up well all summer long and probably as highly regarded as any movie released this summer. Deserves the praise to be sure.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:34 PM
X-Men: First Class Sequel to Focus on Magneto - http://bit.ly/yvq82k
Old 02-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Yea first class was one of the worst movies i have ever seen. I was shocked at how much of a horrible job they did with this. I wasn't expecting perfection but its like the writers never really read the comics just sort of glanced through them or something.

The sequel seems like it will be good focusing on magneto or whatever but look how Wolverine turned out, complete trash and same with first class so ive got no hopes for Second class or whatever its gonna be called.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Loved this movie. I was always a huge fan of X-Men growing up. Only the first 2 movies were better, First Class was better than both Wolverine and Last Stand.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Big news today, 20th Century Fox has registered a title with the MPAA, this should get the fans buzzing.

Don't know if I'm a fan of this "possible" direction, but I trust Vaughn to lead the film in the proper direction.

See what the plot may be centered around here - http://bit.ly/NFDhC8
Old 06-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1NSTR1PEZ View Post
Big news today, 20th Century Fox has registered a title with the MPAA, this should get the fans buzzing.

Don't know if I'm a fan of this "possible" direction, but I trust Vaughn to lead the film in the proper direction.

See what the plot may be centered around here - http://bit.ly/NFDhC8
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/...of-future-past

Here was a thread I started a year ago and was promoting all around the Net...

June of 2011:
Quote:
I see a thread about X4 and about a First Class sequel but why not do both at the same time in the same movie?

Given the critical praise but light box office of First Class and the love of the trilogy by most, it makes the most sense for Fox.

For me, First Class/X1/X2 is now the X-Men trilogy with X3 as a side note. Those three films are now THE best trilogy the genre has delivered. So...

X4 = Days of Future Past with BOTH casts!!!

Old Xavier (Patrick Stewart) contacts young Xavier (James McAvoy) to save the world! Logan (Hugh Jackman) can stay the same age but use different actors for the same characters in both time periods!!!!! Fassbender plays off Sir Ian and we get a younger Storm and Cyclops plus real Sentinel attacks. Killing Logan and Storm and Peter in the future would make for great cinema and that way the old cast can hand the franchise off to the new cast in a cool fashion. Restore the box office glory and we all win.
I wonder if they'll give me credit for getting the ball rolling in the closing credits? A little shout out would be nice.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:37 PM

why is this movie in the CURRENT MOVIES section? sheesh.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:57 AM
Days of Future Past would be amazing. I didn't think the comic is as good as a lot of other X-Men stories, but it lends itself to a movie much better than Age of Apocalypse or Dark Phoenix.