Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 02:21 PM
What film(s) did everyone watch today? Redux Trois!

The old thread was getting a little too big for its own weight, so here's a brand new thread (likely the longest ongoing thread in the history of our site) regarding everyone's LATEST MOVIE VIEWINGS...

Remember that you can also elaborate on your viewings in MOVIE FAN CENTRAL, just a click away...
Old 05-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Easy A

Surprisingly good. If John Hughes made a movie today, it would be similar to this.
7/10

Something Wild

A fun-loving movie that turns into an exciting crime thriller. It works because for the first half, we really come to like the character, and when Ray comes along…oh shit!
8/10

Batman Begins

Still one of the best Superhero movies out there!
9.5/10
Old 05-27-2011, 04:41 PM
thanks to quentin in the 80's underrated thread i saw 'chan is missing' yesterday as i liked 'smoke'. i really enjoyed chan is missing

8/10
Old 05-27-2011, 05:28 PM

Gave it a rewatch today when I missed the Kung-Fu Panda showing in 2d. Really it is truly one of the best horror flicks of all time.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:21 PM

Both first time viewings....
Old 05-27-2011, 06:46 PM

8/10

9/10

Last edited by Scotch; 05-27-2011 at 08:13 PM..
Old 05-27-2011, 06:55 PM
The Best Years Of Our Lives - 6/10
High Noon - 3/10
Old 05-27-2011, 07:36 PM

7/10
Old 05-27-2011, 08:59 PM

Not only the best in the series but one of the better action movies that have come out in a while. 8/10
Old 05-27-2011, 10:00 PM
Guys and Dolls - The dialogue in this film was really stilted and the songs weren't really good enough to make up for it. I did like Brando's performance and Jean Simmons was decent but the rest of the cast was mediocre. 5/10
Old 05-27-2011, 11:13 PM
American Psycho - 10/10

This film is officially in my top 10. Love every aspect of it. Bale's best performance.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:21 AM
Kung Fu Panda 2 - 7/10
Old 05-28-2011, 03:36 AM
HALL PASS

Not very funny. There were two really funny lines in it, though. I love the CUCKOO'S NEST reference. And the UFO comment right after.

Otherwise, it was pretty bland and predictable. The latter complaint isn't much of a complaint as long as I enjoy the comedy. But I didn't all that much.

5/10
Old 05-28-2011, 03:48 AM
The last few movies I've seen:

The Hangover Part II - ***
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - ** 1/2
Bridesmaids - ***
Old 05-28-2011, 07:30 AM
love letter 7
rango 5, too much depp
father and son 6.5
Old 05-28-2011, 10:15 AM

I'm glad I went in with extremely low expectations. This film is nothing more than a copy and paste cutout of the first just with the addition of a new location and a new character missing. I know this thing is going to make a shit load of money, so I hope with Part III the director holds true to his word about going in a 'different' direction.

7/10
Old 05-28-2011, 10:21 AM
Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2: Rodrick Rules - 6/10
Old 05-28-2011, 11:35 AM

6.5/10
Old 05-28-2011, 01:27 PM

The Hangover Part II - 5/10

Well, I didn't hate it quite as much as most, but it still wasn't very good. My problems with it are a bit different than what most have been complaining about though. The common complaint is that it is structurally the same movie as the first one. Obviously, I wouldn't have objected to them changing up the structure and doing something fresh, but that wasn't the biggest problem. My problems with the movie are that there aren't really any memorable moments and the jokes are poorly written. Jon Lucas and Scott Moore aren't what I would call good writers, but their script for the first Hangover was very good and they took advantage of a really average plot and made the best out of it. They also wrote hilarious characters that all had several memorable moments. Part II, however, was written by Craig Mazin, Scot Armstrong and Todd Phillips and they really seemed to have lost the magic that the first script had. There are funny moments, sure, but there's nothing I'm going to be quoting years down the road with friends. The closest the movie ever comes to that is when Stu sings a song, but I get the feeling that was improvised, or at least improvised before shooting and then incorporated in the script. Also, the characters didn't seem to be themselves, which is something that I think can be attributed to the writing. Obviously if this happened a second time, everyone would be beyond pissed, but the playfulness of the first one is lost and it is replaced with a mean spirit that might sound okay on paper, but ends up just making you wish the characters would go back to being their old selves. Phil is just an asshole, Stu never stops screaming and whining and Alan goes from being the lovable weirdo to being an unlikeable idiot. On the technical side, however, Phillips and co. really captured the sweaty, humid atmosphere of Bangkok and the cinematography is pretty fantastic. I just wish that as much effort went into the script.

Last edited by Bourne101; 05-28-2011 at 02:48 PM..
Old 05-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Blue Valentine

Makes for a pretty bold statement on the triumphs and pitfalls of love as it intersects two distinct but dependent storylines – one that shows the flowering of the relationship, the other the wilting. Where it all goes from there will be up to each person to find out, far be it for me to spoil the goods, but the journey is about the power and deception of attraction, and the true fragility of emotional bonds when they’re put under the honest microscope of time. Michelle Williams continues to impress me every time I see her (yes, even in crap like Deception), but I think it was Ryan Gosling that came out the winner in this gritty tango, or maybe it was because his character was the more complex role on the page and he had more to work with. Either way, both of them reel you in immediately with their raw, no-bullshit performances, and you follow these two imperfect but wholly realistic kids hoping for the best and fearing the worst in equal measure, and that the film makes you give a shit about the inevitable see-saws of their love regardless of the outcome is what some might call a draining experience, if not downright depressing. But there is some light to be had, for those Wire fans in attendance. See if you can count how many times John Doman gives Gosling the withering McNulty Look (TM) during the awkward family dinner scene.

-> 8/10
Old 05-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Four's a Crowd with Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, and Rosalind Russell - A screwball/romantic comedy with an excellent cast. It's nice to see Flynn do comedy for once - he was really pretty funny. There's a lot of crazy shenanigans and ever changing relationships in this one. The ending with the double wedding was especially funny. 8/10

Bye Bye Birdie - First of all Ann-Margaret should not have been allowed to sing with that shrill voice. She's damn nice to look at but she should leave the songs to someone else. The best performer was probably Dick van Dyke as the unsuccessful songwriter. I was expecting more from this musical as some of its songs are so famous but it wasn't as great as it could have been. 5/10
Old 05-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Disneynature Oceans- 7/10
Old 05-28-2011, 11:40 PM
Kung Fu Panda 2-8/10

The Hangover 2-7/10
Old 05-29-2011, 03:06 AM
The Roommate - 4/10
The Way Back - 8/10
Old 05-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Blonde Ambition - 6.5/10
Titanic - 7.5/10
Old 05-29-2011, 03:40 PM
Across the Universe (8/10)
The Fighter (10/10)
Old 05-29-2011, 03:48 PM

8/10

Alejandro Gonzalez Iñarritu's movies are so sad filled. Bardem's performance the best yet!
Old 05-29-2011, 04:36 PM
The Grapes Of Wrath - 6/10
The Bicycle Thief - 6/10
Beauty And The Beast - 3/10
Old 05-29-2011, 04:37 PM
the ward 6/10

carpenter has still got it
Old 05-29-2011, 04:53 PM
The Hangover: Part II - 5/10

Hardly that funny. It's harmless, though.

Chop Shop - 6/10

The little guy in this was excellent, but with its slow pacing and scenes that lead to nothing, it resulted in boring me. Almost instantly forgettable.

Last edited by viceus; 05-29-2011 at 04:55 PM..
Old 05-29-2011, 05:22 PM
THE WARD
Predictable, full of loud noises for cheap "scares" (a startle is NOT a scare) and ultimately finishing with an unoriginal twist that cheapens any sense of emotional investment or terror that took place before. I wasn't terrorized nor invested in these people in the first place.

4/10
Old 05-29-2011, 08:18 PM

Tree of Life

6/10

first let me say i love that a movie like this is getting a wide release.
Now that that's out of the way, this is a very redundant movie from Mallick. Yes it is beautiful, yes it looks great... but there were very seldom moments of pure cinema in it that really provoked me in any significant way.

His voice over's are white noise. They've always been white noise, a failed attempt at connective tissue to his images. They are interchangeable from film to film. If you took just about any voice over sentence from a Mallick movie and asked even the most enduring Mallick acolyte what movie it is from they wouldn't be able to tell you. I really thought he would have been better without them all together this time out.

When cinema is at its best, it can provoke beyond the simple image on screen. Mallick doesn't utilize cinema the way it has the power to be utilized, he is trying to provoke on images alone. In context to focus (not even structure, just focus) then images have the power to resonate in a profound cinematic way, but he never achieves anything beyond the images.

Every scene is paced the same. You get no more than two minutes of a moment with the family, then some white noise narration, then some b-roll of beautiful images. For some, they might say there is a lot of risk here, from the "dawn of man" type moments to the "star child" type moments, it is a daring achievement. Unfortunately for me, I found this to a be a safe movie. Maybe it is because I attended a film program in an art school where i continuously saw indecisive student filmmakers who have a lot to say but instead of focusing on anything they clumsily collect images together and pray that they've made something profound. The best thing Mallick has going for him is that he is reclusive, which gives him the benefit in the film community of being some kind of genius, as opposed to an indecisive filmmaker who hopes that an audience can discover something profound in the familiar weaving of his opera.

I don't hate this movie. I still think it is worth watching, the same way I think it is worth watching a passionate freshman's video piece in an art school. At least this one has a budget.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:34 PM
The Night Listener

The creepy true story and eerie shenanigans that apparently took place on the set stemming from that story end up being more engaging asides than the film itself turned out to be. Slow-burning as they come, it has shades of old-fashioned suspense movie flair, utilizing some traditional Hitchcock techniques like always playing on the viewer’s perception of characters and their motives to keep you guessing this way and that a la Suspicion. But ultimately that defined sharpness on the part of director Patrick Stettner is dulled by an unnecessarily formulated ending which robs the finale of that ambiguous buttoner that probably would’ve benefitted the movie in the long run. If it had ended about two minutes earlier, I’d bump it up a point, but honestly, aside from another of Robin Williams’s welcome dramatic performances, the movie is just there most of the time and never really comes alive in any way but its atmospherics, and that only goes so far.

-> 5/10
Old 05-30-2011, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by APzombie View Post
Tree of Life
6/10
Aw, sucks considering that (from what I can gather) you're a Malick fan yourself. Hopefully I'll be seeing it this coming Friday. I'm excited as hell, but yeah, this kind of helps keep my expectations in check.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:54 AM
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Not horrible. 7/10
Old 05-30-2011, 02:20 AM
The Rite - 9/10. I really enjoyed this film.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:57 AM

8/10
Old 05-30-2011, 09:18 AM

Joan Rivers A Piece of Work
7.5/10
Old 05-30-2011, 09:18 AM
Solaris (1972)

8/10

It was a bit long winded for the point that it was trying to get across but still a monumental achievement in filmmaking as well as storytelling. I must say I really, really liked the ending though, very good pay-off.

Not sure I would be down for a rewatch anytime soon-although I probably should-i zoned out during the middle.

Oh, and this looks BEAUTIFUL on blu ray-Criterion cleaned it up real nice.
This one is worth a buy if you are into the Criterion Collection and/or sci-fi

Last edited by Bahs; 05-30-2011 at 09:29 AM..
Old 05-30-2011, 09:39 AM

What a pile of crap. Twilight + Infamous= I Am Number Four

2/10
Closed Thread