Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 10:31 AM
Pre-release
Another Earth
Bad Teacher
Horrible Bosses
Monte Carlo (2011)
Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Post-release
Cool Runnings C-
Elektra Luxx D
I am Number Four B-
Old 06-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Green Lantern - 5/10
Old 06-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Sucker Punch - 3/10 - Abysmal. This is what happens when Zack Snyder actually has to write a movie himself. All style with zero substance and I had zero reason to give a crap about any of the characters. I fear for how bad he is going to rape Superman.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Today I watched Full Metal Jacket. I love this movie! This has got to be my favorite from Stanley Kubric. This movie is so intense, I never get bored of watching it.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:51 PM
What Lies Beneath

8/10
Old 06-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
was this post in reference to mine?
Old 06-20-2011, 08:47 PM
The Pride and the Passion with Cary Grant, Frank Sinatra, and Sophia Loren - A Spanish army tries to move a large cannon to city held by the Napoleonic army in order to get rid of the French. Sinatra was miscast as a Spanish leader of a guerrilla group but the other two main actors did fine jobs. The final battle was well done as well. The story is a little thin consisting mainly of a love triangle and the difficulty in moving the cannon across Spanish terrain. 6/10

The Noose Hangs High with Abbott and Costello - Hijinks occur when the two men have difficulty in getting $50,000 from a gangster to their boss. Some funny gags and comedy bits but it really isn't anything special. 5/10
Old 06-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Sleuth - 6/10
Fantastic use of minimalism, but the film went nowhere. The first two acts were OK, but the third act was horrible.

Pulp Fiction - 10/10
7th viewing, this time on Bluray! Amazing transfer, I love this film more every time I watch it!

Last edited by Reservoir Doggy; 06-20-2011 at 09:04 PM..
Old 06-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Say Anything... - 9/10

*edit

It was daft o'clock in the morning when I'd finished with this, but I did want to say that this is possibly the most surprisingly smart, fleshed-out, ADULT, and wholly satisfying teeny film I've seen. The father was by far the most interesting character, making for one of the most complex father/daughter relationships I've experienced. Who'd have thought that the man at the helm of this was Cameron Crowe? It's probably old news to most of you, but I'd just steered clear because I'm lukewarm with Crowe.

I shall return to this one.

Last edited by viceus; 06-21-2011 at 08:03 AM..
Old 06-20-2011, 11:13 PM

How much is too much Seth Rogen? If you asked me in the past two or three years, I would have said that there never could be enough of this comedic actor and screenwriter. Rogen and his friend Evan Goldberg have penned two great comedies in the past years, Superbad and Pineapple Express. Now, they had a chance to begin a project that they seemed to have good intentions in, a movie adaptation of the cult classic TV show that Bruce Lee starred in, The Green Hornet. However, these good intentions unfortunately culminates in quite possibly one of the worst movies in 2010, due to an over saturation of comedy that Rogen and Goldberg have known to be good at, despite respected director Michel Gondry knack to direct a good action scene or two and some cool visual style.

Perhaps this movie was dead on arrival to begin with, as directors Kevin Smith and Stephen Chow were both set direct, but opted out due to hesitancy to work on a big budget or creative differences with parties involved. The eventual birth is a movie that seems to need a dash of comedy and fun, but Rogen and Goldberg simply spilled a lot into the pot to make it even fun. It's overkill, and the story suffers for it. The film follows one Britt Reid, son to Newspaper mogul James Reid (Tom Wilkinson). James revers Britt for his partying ways when there is crime all over Los Angeles and soon dies due to a bee sting, leaving a shocked Britt to take over for the company. Now, that sentence I have made seems fairly rushed and convoluted regarding the plot, but that's how it all goes in the film. The film just lays the bullet points to drive the rest of the film, and it feels completely lazy due to its need to get to the slapstick comedy and action.

Anyways, Britt meets his father's expert mechanic Kato (Jay Chou), who is revealed to be a martial artist genius and makes a good cup of coffee. This leads to Britt realizing that they should be costumed superheroes who will fight the crime that Britt's father has been trying to stop through his newspapers. However, their antics catch the attention of Chudnofsky (Christoph Waltz), the leading crime boss in Los Angeles, and who begins to lead a war against Britt and Kato. Again, this whole realization to fight crime has no substance like the rest of the opening act, but the comedy seems to be the rescue, right?

Now, here is the thing with comedy, it needs to be funny, but it needs to work within the context of each scene. Unfortunately, every scene needs to have Rogen cracking wise that it simply becomes annoying and any scene that could've worked lost its luster from the previous unfunny scenes. The only redeeming factor that works in the film is the action that involves Kato and Britt, but those scenes are few and far in between. The final climatic act is the highlight of the film, but some viewers may be so fed up with the incessant jokes that they won't even bother to make it all the way through.

Seth Rogen fits the material that he is working with, a brash, childish playboy who wants to do good in the world. He's good at those characters from Pineapple Express and Superbad, but this time feels as if this was the straw that broke the camel's back. It doesn't work for this film as he's one-note the whole film, and there's pretty much nothing that comes from the character that you want him to succeed. Jay Chou is the flip side of the coin, as he's cool as the sidekick and plays the strong, silent type who can beat people to a pulp. There are moments where the relationship between Rogen and Chou could work, but is as rushed as the film's plot. Cameron Diaz's character is only to drive the plot and cause problems between Rogen and Chou in the third act, that's it. As for Christoph Waltz, I don't where the energy and charisma went after Inglorious Basterds, but his mid-life crisis villain wasn't as fun as it could have been. There were bits that were humorous, but most of it was Waltz just wondering what the pay check would be at the end of the day.

Michel Gondry can make a great movie, as Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind has proven, but a few cool editing tricks and visuals can not help this film. There is even times where Gondry just seems to be wanting to be done with this movie himself, as scenes come and go as they please. Then again, with a script that is half expository for the plot and the other half seems to be mediocre improvisation, there wasn't much for Gondry to work with.

The Green Hornet didn't seem to have the marks for a great superhero/vigilante film, but it had the potential to be a mildly funny and entertaining film with Rogen and Goldberg at the script's helm. Unfortunately, their possible salvaging just digs the film deeper, as the overbearing comedy exposes the flimsy plot as the film's run time goes on. The action is sweet, but the rest of the film tastes mostly bitter. Hopefully Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg will bring another script that has the right amount of ingredients next time.

3/10
Old 06-21-2011, 03:07 AM
Michael Collins (8/10)
Old 06-21-2011, 05:39 AM
world on a wire part 2 9
Old 06-21-2011, 06:48 AM

True Grit (2010)
8/10
Old 06-21-2011, 06:53 AM

8.5/10
Old 06-21-2011, 11:17 AM
The Rite - 6.5/10
Old 06-21-2011, 12:54 PM
wanted[2008]

4/5

i forgot how much fun this movie is.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Super 8

9/10
Old 06-21-2011, 02:44 PM
have to wait for a few weeks till super 8 is released over here!

wings of hope - 9

possibly herzog's finest documentary
Old 06-21-2011, 04:50 PM
City Hall

After the work he did in Heat, itís understandable that Pacino would take on a role like menschkeit NY Mayor John Pappas that didnít demand much in the way of emotional commitment so soon after, but this is one of those rare instances where itís evident that he was resting on laurels. His performance is still better than a lot of actors will ever hope for, but it doesnít help that he gets top billing when this is really John Cusackís vehicle as the kingmaker to Pacinoís king. The two work really well together and itís a treat to watch when they share the screen, but the best scenes in the film eventually end up riding on Pacinoís presence, while Cusackís investigation into local political figures and their potential ties to the mafia Ė the A-story Ė keeps the two of them apart a great deal and thus the movie from enjoying more of those singular moments before the final act.

-> 7/10
Old 06-21-2011, 05:20 PM
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (8/10)
Old 06-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Infernal Affairs - 7/10

The Departed - 9/10
Old 06-21-2011, 08:17 PM
A Dangerous Man - 6/10 Not too bad.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:31 PM
The Good Night - Gwenyth Paltrow was a downer as the demanding girlfriend of Martin Freeman but otherwise it's a pretty good film. Simon Pegg was my favorite - he was funny and had the best lines. 7/10

The Goodbye Girl - Richard Dreyfuss was fantastic as the neurotic actor who falls for the often abandoned mother of a ten year old. The scenes where he had to play Richard III as a flaming homosexual were hysterical. The little girl was pretty good too and Marsha Mason was an excellent foil. 8/10

Knight Without Armour with Marlene Dietrich and Robert Donat - A British spy and a Russian aristocrat fall in love during the Bolshevik Revolution. The pace was a little hectic at times - years passed by with barely a mention - but the two leads were fantastic and had great chemistry. They had some of the most romantic scenes I've seen in a while. I also liked that crazy train station manager. He was really funny. 8/10
Old 06-21-2011, 10:50 PM
first time viewing

will have to re-watch cuz turned it off after 40 mins
Old 06-21-2011, 11:21 PM

Green Lantern(2011)-7/10
Old 06-22-2011, 03:30 AM
LA Confidential - 8/10
Old 06-22-2011, 10:58 AM

9/10
Old 06-22-2011, 12:22 PM
The Princess Bride - 8/10
Old 06-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Green Lantern - 6/10
Old 06-22-2011, 01:47 PM
The Church- 5/10

Great visuals, but everything else is HORRIBLE. It's almost a shame to give it a low rating because it's so cool to look at, but the acting, dubbing, and screenplay are embarrassingly bad.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:22 PM
The Serpent and The Rainbow 6/10
3 Idiots 7/10
City of Life and Death 8/10
Old 06-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Sucker Punch

Dammit. I've really been against the huge Zack Snyder backlash that's been pretty unwarranted up until now, but this was definitely a step backwards for him IMO. While I did manage to get decently interested in small facets of the film (some of the bizarro world action scenes, while sort of looking like a video game, were undeniably pretty cool at times), the music in the film really helped save it at certain points, and I even appreciated some of the "philosophical" stuff the film sort of half-hazardly tried to do (like her dancing = Snyder's action/his big flashy distractions etc. and the film's interpretiveness), but for the most part the film sort of ran the gamut from kind of boring and tedious to unintentionally funny at times. The film's big villain, played by Oscar Isaac (who I actually thought was one of the better parts of Robin Hood) was one of the least effective villains of any movie in recent memory, and Scott Glenn came off like a huge Bill from Kill Bill wannabe, although maybe that's the point? I dunno either way he generally cracked up everyone in the room when he started talking which I don't think is a great sign. Visuals were pretty fantastic in moments, but really weren't enough to save the film.

On a sort of sidenote though, when the hell did Emily Browning get so hot? She looked amazing the entire time.

5/10
Old 06-22-2011, 08:14 PM
The Goonies

HEYYY YOUUU GUUUUUYS! High fantasy filmmaking as only Spielbergís disciples like Hooper, Dante, Zemeckis, and in this case Donner knew how to deliver in the Ď80ís, that being a movie that in concept should be critic-proof, yet critics end up loving it as much as audiences. In the interest of full disclosure, I did not in fact grow up with this as many of you probably have, so I have to judge this based solely on a fresh adult perspective, which brings with its own set of amusing moments, such as seeing a young Josh Brolin playing a kid eerily reminiscent of my own big brother back then. While this doesnít touch Back To The Future in the pantheon of Spielberg-endorsed Ď80ís geek cinema, but what it does is deliver the kind of fun, laughs, memorable quotes and moments that itís known for.

-> 8/10
Old 06-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Room For One More with Cary Grant and Betsy Drake - A married couple with a few children begin to take in foster kids. Grant is as fun and charming as ever but a few of the kids were written in such a way that they were trying too hard to be cute. It got annoying after a while. Actually Drake was the same way. Still a feel good film but at times it was a bit much. 6/10

The Pirate with Judy Garland and Gene Kelly - A girl living in a small Caribbean village falls in love with a traveling actor that is suspected of being a legendary pirate. Some good song and dance numbers even if the plot was a little weird. 6/10

Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? with Tony Randall and Jayne Mansfield - An advertising man is coerced into an engagement with a starlet in order to get her to endorse a lipstick for his company. First, those sounds Mansfield would make that were supposed to signify happiness with some swooning were really annoying. The story was completely ridiculous but Randall was still able to maintain a semblance of rationality in the midst of the chaos around him. 5/10
Old 06-22-2011, 10:10 PM
The Town (8/10)
Old 06-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Silence of the lambs 8/10
Old 06-22-2011, 10:22 PM

Wow, wtf did I just watch?

3/10
Old 06-22-2011, 10:39 PM

Mr. Popper's Penguins(2011)-6/10
Old 06-23-2011, 12:29 AM
Pirates 4 and First Class

I dont understand why this got so many negative reviews. I really liked it. It was fun and adventurous with a great score and shot really well. The action scenes were really spectacular too. Good to see Jack Sparrow back again.
8/10

Pretty good, but it was cheesy at times. I had really high expectations for this one because of the good reviews so that probably made me be a little big over-analytical. It was nice seeing the origin of X-Men though, and Macavoy and Fassbender were great, but the pacing seemed a bit off to me and the mutants they chose for that one could have been better.
7/10 (for now)
Old 06-23-2011, 01:45 AM
Snakes On A Plane - 4/10
Closed Thread