Old 05-06-2012, 02:44 PM
The Avengers - 8/10

This was a blast. Whedon did a really good job of balancing the characters and structuring the movie in an efficient and satisfying manner. The action sequences are fantastic and while some may compare the final showdown to that of Transformers: Dark of the Moon, I felt it was much more focused than that and actually served a purpose and gave the characters a goal. There are also some really funny moments that arise naturally from various different situations. The humor rarely felt forced. I do have some issues with the movie though. In my opinion, Iron Man and The Hulk are far and away the most interesting characters used in the movie, and I personally find Captain America, Thor, Hawkeye and Black Widow to be rather uninteresting characters. I think it would have been better to substitute a few of them with characters like Spider-Man and Wolverine. I'm not familiar with the comics though, so I don't know if that would be blasphemy or not. I also had some issues with the plot, which was rather stale. Whedon certainly made the most of it, but it was something we have seen so many times before. Unlimited energy sources, portals, etc. The use of all of these characters is itself original, so why not put them in a story that isn't the basis for every generic superhero movie that we've seen in the last 15 years? Also, while Tom Hiddleston was great as Loki, that character isn't really all that interesting. I wish they went with someone a little more menacing (although his lack of menace does lead to the best scene in the entire film). Overall though, I would say Whedon hit about a triple, just shy of a home run. I think with a better story, some more interesting characters, and a more menacing villain, the sequel could make it over the fence.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
The Avengers - 8/10
...I think it would have been better to substitute a few of them with characters like Spider-Man and Wolverine. I'm not familiar with the comics though, so I don't know if that would be blasphemy or not.
Yeah, many would love to see The Avengers with Spidey and Wolverine. Sadly, different studios own the licensing to those characters. X-Men belongs to Fox, Spider-man to Sony and The Avengers belong to Disney.
Maybe some day?
Hell, if I had the power to relenquish my rights to X-Men and/or Spider-man with the guarantee that Joss Whedon would be the ONLY one to write and direct an Avengers movie, I'd sell it off for pretty cheap!
Quote:
I also had some issues with the plot, which was rather stale. Whedon certainly made the most of it, but it was something we have seen so many times before.
I agree, it's basically "save the world", used as a springboard for the characterization and action. The actual plot is serviceable but is actually one of the weakest elements to the whole movie.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Moneyball 7/10

Bottle Shock 7/10
Old 05-07-2012, 04:02 AM
Beavis and Butthead Do America (6/10)
Iron-Man 2 (5/10)
Old 05-07-2012, 11:57 AM

(9/10)

I'm not that familiar with the Tin-Tin comics other than what I heard but I really DID want to see this in 3-D at the theater sadly it didn't last long at the box office so I miss it; aside from that I loved it. I can really support Spielberg decision to do this in Animated 3-D because I think some of the action sequence and how he did it would probably be near impossible to do in live-action..especially how he handle the camera in some of the set pieces. I actually was expecting more but still was more satisfy than when I went to see Underworld: Awakening.

(8.5/10)

When I look back at this I see Nolans Batman Begin but the only difference is that this movie follows more closely the comic book then the movie ever since it follows the story through both Gordon eyes and Bruce eyes into becoming Batman.

Last edited by barryallen_thef; 05-07-2012 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: add movie
Old 05-07-2012, 07:00 PM

7/10
Old 05-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Spartacus: Gods Of The Arena

The pall of Andy Whitfieldís death can be felt from the opening scene. Itís a half-season of Blood & Sand prequelitis that sees the show make up for the loss of its star by retracing steps to the beginning of the rise to power and prominence of John Hannahís Batiatus, the vain, vulgar gladiatorial master of the first season who was the frequent cosmic victim of the gods spreading cheeks and ramming cock up ass. Itís still a great bit of TV to tide one over till Vengeance, but Iím glad I waited till now so I could watch the two back to back, since it would just leave me clamoring for the official second season and Liam McIntyre taking the revolutionary reins of Spartacus and his band. Here we see a lot of predictable but engaging politics and backstabbing (literally, and in more ways than one, come to think of itÖ), delving mostly into Batiatusís daddy issues and the development of the undisciplined Gaul Crixus into the undefeated champion we meet in Blood & Sand. The new face to carry the franchise till McIntyre picked up his sword was Dustin Clare as pre-Crixus House Batiatus breadwinner Gannicus, an arrogant but likeable character who carries on an interesting triangle between fan favorite Onomaeus/Doctore (Peter Mensah) and his scorching wife Melitta (Marisa Ramirez), one of many new storylines that unfortunately were compressed in this mini-season arc. Still, plenty of sex, violence, emotion and brutal twists for your buck, so definitely partake if you gobbled the first season up heartily and are yearning for more.

-> 8/10
Old 05-07-2012, 08:45 PM

Really a fun film. 7.5/10
Old 05-08-2012, 12:02 AM

Safe(2012)-5/10
Old 05-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Yi ngoi (Accident)

A hitmen who works by creating complex chain of events to disguise his contracts as accidents become more and more paranoid after the last job went wrong and one of his teamate was killed. Was is it really an accident or is someone out to get him ? Maybe it was the competition or may be it was the last client's agent or maybe it was an inside job ?

Finally a good thinking's man thriller that kept me intrigued all the way to the end and took me about 30-40 minutes after i finished watching it to understand what really happened. Don't get me wrong , it's not as fucked up as a Lynch movie and no second viewing is needed to understand but the flashback sequences are hard to tell apart from the present and the ending kinda throws a curve at you.

The atmospheric music and the slow pacing of the movie reminded me a bit of DRIVE ( but it's a whole different story )

8/10
Old 05-08-2012, 07:23 PM

Lars and the Real Girl

Such a nice little movie

8/10
Old 05-08-2012, 10:35 PM

The Pirates! Band of Misfits(2012)-6/10
Old 05-09-2012, 05:06 AM
Dark Shadows (6/10)
Old 05-09-2012, 05:43 AM
Hangover part II 7/10

Avengers Assemble 7/10

American Pie Reunion 9/10

Snowtown 9/10
Old 05-09-2012, 10:55 AM
The Three Stooges (2012)

So I'm British and I don't really have any or much knowledge on this all American legendary comedic trio but I know of them and how it works. From that small bit of recognition I can see the effort put into this film from the three main cast members and must give kudos to their performances.

Yes the film is completely stupid, childish and babyish but of course that's what its all about, a classic mix of Chaplin, Harold Lloyd and Buster Keaton with sound and no holding back with absurd ludicrous scenario's.

I've never heard of the main cast but have read of many big names that were in line for the main roles such as Jim Carrey. Even I can see this would have been completely wrong so I'm glad the cast are as they are, unknowns (to me), they pull off the recreation very well I think, they look good and sound good.
I think the stunts on show here are decent but nothing especially amazing, its all about the well rehearsed chemistry between the Stooges really, that's what shines through, the rest is your average Farrelly brothers schtick.

Does exactly what it says on the tin folks, you know what to expect and you get exactly that. If you don't enjoy this kind of farcical comedy or find yourself hating it as you watch then you clearly didn't check the label on the tin. Not totally my thing I admit but I can appreciate the skill involved.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:32 PM

7/10

A documentary about the effects and aftermath of a nuclear attack. Very shocking!
Old 05-09-2012, 05:05 PM
Young Adult

Diablo Cody finally strikes a chord with me after the disappointing Juno and frankly idiotic Jenniferís Body, this time minus most of the ridiculous blogger indulgences that turned me off to Junoís bubblegum, meta-retro, trying-too-goddamn-hard bullshit. Jason Reitman, meanwhile, has since become one of the best young directors of existential dramedies in town, and here keeps the good times rolling. Trust in him to hire a usually glamorous actress like Charlize Theron to carry a role so far outside her obvious comfort zone, much like he did Clooney with Up In The Air, keeping their looks intact but dressing them down in every other way. Then again, after all the rigorous prep Theron did for Monster, anything must seem like amateur hour at a dinner theatre in comparison. But she really goes for it here as lonely Mavis, the near-40 ghost writer of corny teen melodrama who serves as a poignant reminder of what can happen if you donít let go of your angst after high school. As gorgeous as she is, her character is so broken and sad on the inside that to watch Theron in some of these scenes as she schemes (badly, I might add) to steal her ex-boyfriend from his loving family is uncomfortable but often very funny, which is exactly what it needed to be. And a shoutout to Patton Oswalt, who continues to impress me with his surprising dramatic range after the sleeper Big Fan, though even in such a situation, his biggest strength still lay in delivering a good punchline.

-> 8/10
Old 05-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Legend of the Fist (2010)

This is the perfect example of a totally misleading poster / trailer. This movie is not a superhero action movie featuring a Kato lookalike. Donnie Yen uses the costume about 3 times only and most of his fights are without it.

The story takes place in 1920s Shangai. Chen Zen , after witnessing first-hand how China was left on the side after the Allies won WWI , is one of the leader of the resistance trying to unify China while the British and the Japanese are trying to gain control of the land. Of course there's a lot of very-well choregraphed fight scenes but there's also a good story. If you liked Crouching Tiger , Hidden Dragon.

8.5/10

Last edited by Dirtyfrog; 05-10-2012 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: poster didnt show
Old 05-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Secret Sunshine (2007)

A moving portrait of a single mother who moves to her recently deceased husband's home town along with her son to start fresh. That's all I'll say without spoiling it for those who haven't seen it.

8/10

Last edited by Matchbox225; 05-09-2012 at 06:43 PM..
Old 05-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Limitless - 7/10
Old 05-10-2012, 12:15 AM

The Avengers(2012)-9/10
Old 05-10-2012, 01:30 AM
Fatal Move (2008)

CGI blood & gore fest but the story bored me at time ... they say you can only dig a hole 6 feet before the dirt comes back on top and that movie dug a 7 feet hole. Don't get me wrong , the fight scenes are super nice ( especially the last one ... Jacky Wu vs Sammo Hung ). It's also nice seeing Danny Lee back after all these years. In the end , the package looked like the Iron-deficiency Man.

5/10
Old 05-10-2012, 09:49 AM
American Reunion

In all honesty...completely pointless, this franchise was perfectly fine with the original three and all the sexual toilet humour had been exhausted pretty good even then. Here we simply have more of the same obviously but its just not funny anymore because its all been done when the cast were younger and it made more sense.

I saw the first film when I was around 21 I think so I myself have grown up with the characters (sort of, maybe I'm a bit older?) as it were. Now I'm 34 (which I'm guessing is about the age of the characters for this new film, late 20's early 30's) and can look back at my earlier years with glee or trepidation just as in the film hehe.

Anyhow back on subject...from the very first sequence with Biggs and Hannigan in the bedroom I could see this was gonna be a tired rehash and not as funny, yes you know what your going in for with this film but you can clearly see its worn out. The cast all look older, slightly fatter with receding hair, well...they do despite the hard work from the Hollywood makeup department to combat these natural effects and make them appear still relatively young.

Best visual gag was probably when 'Stiffler' had finished 'chow time' on an old tubby schoolgirl acquaintance, pretty direct and smirk inducing. Apart from that its all very dumb and predictable as you would expect but not really in a good way anymore.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 AM
True Legend (2010)

not sure what they wanted to achieve with this non/semi-authentic movie about Su Qi-er ( the creator of the drunken kung-fu fighting style )

It's the 1st film directed by Woo-ping Yuen in over 10 years ( the guy is mostly known for choreographing awesome fight sequence , the poster doesnt mention Fearless - Crouching Tiger , Hidden Dragon - Kung Fu Hustle) and it shows in all the fights but the story is like a hot potato.

To begin with , the story is split in 3 acts: His warrior days in the chinese army , his revenge days against his half-brother/descend into madness & his dark days as a drunk who rise to the british invaders. It makes for an uneven movie since each act got a different tone. Act I is mostly recreating a emotional & era accurate part , Act II is borderline manga with dream sequences & a half-brother with metal armor and a poisonous punch , Act III is the downfall as a beggar still with hallucinations but with more realistic fight ( the VS British tournament )

I'll give it a 6/10 instead of a 4/10 because the fights are really that good but overall the movie is a mess.

The David Carradine cameo as a dirty british promoter was nice tho.
Michelle Yeoh is on the poster but she is in the movie for like 5 minutes top

Last edited by Dirtyfrog; 05-10-2012 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: ok wtf is wrong with all my poster links lately ?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Watchmen - 7.5/10
Old 05-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syxxpac View Post
Young Adult

Diablo Cody finally strikes a chord with me after the disappointing Juno and frankly idiotic Jenniferís Body, this time minus most of the ridiculous blogger indulgences that turned me off to Junoís bubblegum, meta-retro, trying-too-goddamn-hard bullshit. Jason Reitman, meanwhile, has since become one of the best young directors of existential dramedies in town, and here keeps the good times rolling. Trust in him to hire a usually glamorous actress like Charlize Theron to carry a role so far outside her obvious comfort zone, much like he did Clooney with Up In The Air, keeping their looks intact but dressing them down in every other way. Then again, after all the rigorous prep Theron did for Monster, anything must seem like amateur hour at a dinner theatre in comparison. But she really goes for it here as lonely Mavis, the near-40 ghost writer of corny teen melodrama who serves as a poignant reminder of what can happen if you donít let go of your angst after high school. As gorgeous as she is, her character is so broken and sad on the inside that to watch Theron in some of these scenes as she schemes (badly, I might add) to steal her ex-boyfriend from his loving family is uncomfortable but often very funny, which is exactly what it needed to be. And a shoutout to Patton Oswalt, who continues to impress me with his surprising dramatic range after the sleeper Big Fan, though even in such a situation, his biggest strength still lay in delivering a good punchline.

-> 8/10
well i would not give it an 8 ... the movie got too many flaws and i actually liked Juno better. But i'd give it a solid 7. Charlize is worthy of her Monster fame in here.

My favorite scene is when she goes to see the crippled in the garage and Suicidal Tendencies - Feel Like Shit is playing loud .... i have related to that song for the last 20 years

My least favorite scene is when she drops her robe ... thought i was gonna see some titties but noooooooooo plastic tit holder instead of a bra
Old 05-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Haywire

Dear Mr Soderbergh, if you want to make a thrilling spy film then at least cast someone who can act in the lead! don't cast a so called mixed martial artist (this term is being banded around way too much these days), use them for stunt work. Yes Carano is fit firm and able to kick ass but her acting is wooden and stale which lets the whole thing down badly.

This espionage thriller is slick and lean with no Hollywood nonsense, this ain't no Bay machine, this is more intone with 'Ronin' but even more watered down to a cut throat hands on take down. The action is sparse but fast with no special effects to get in the way, no explosions, no music and no cgi what so ever, this baby has been stripped for maximum performance just like the Evo that gets driven.

That's not to say its without faults, the film starts slow after an initial bit of fisticuffs, Carano glares her way through the story as you start to feel...zzzzzzz!. Things do perk up quickly as the plot thickens...well somewhat, the plot is actually highly basic but the fights are nicely done, realistic without silly 'whallop!' sound effects (well almost). It amused me how Carano is able to take down heavy armoured police with leg kicks to body armour, she may be a good Muay Thai fighter but I doubt she would be able to do what she does but hey! I'm getting too picky aren't I.

Overall casting was big but unrequired, I think the inclusion of Carano lowers the tone really, she comes across way too much like an action figure, almost like a 'Black Widow' type character. The inclusion of Fassbender in a pretty cliched role didn't help either, almost an audition for the next Bond. Wasn't impressed with Ewan McGregor and his dodgy US accent, he really didn't seem to fit the bill for me whilst Banderas just seemed to be there to add more big names to the list as he does nothing, absolutely zero.

I think this film tries a bit too hard to be something more serious, maybe more of a 'Bourne' vehicle perhaps, but under the bonnet its just a simple double cross thriller with some excellent direction, fights and editing...soooo yes it is good then, it just thinks a bit too highly of itself.

Still not so sure why its called 'Haywire' though, makes you think its some kind of guns n explosion filled hyper action beast...but it isn't. I must add I hated the rather lame way Carano easily gets her man at the end on the beach, the rock bit, how on earth did he manage that!? lol!
It is pretty good by the way, just incase your not sure what I think at the end here, just not THAT good.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbs View Post
Haywire

Dear Mr Soderbergh, if you want to make a thrilling spy film then at least cast someone who can act in the lead! don't cast a so called mixed martial artist (this term is being banded around way too much these days), use them for stunt work. Yes Carano is fit firm and able to kick ass but her acting is wooden and stale which lets the whole thing down badly.

This espionage thriller is slick and lean with no Hollywood nonsense, this ain't no Bay machine, this is more intone with 'Ronin' but even more watered down to a cut throat hands on take down. The action is sparse but fast with no special effects to get in the way, no explosions, no music and no cgi what so ever, this baby has been stripped for maximum performance just like the Evo that gets driven.

That's not to say its without faults, the film starts slow after an initial bit of fisticuffs, Carano glares her way through the story as you start to feel...zzzzzzz!. Things do perk up quickly as the plot thickens...well somewhat, the plot is actually highly basic but the fights are nicely done, realistic without silly 'whallop!' sound effects (well almost). It amused me how Carano is able to take down heavy armoured police with leg kicks to body armour, she may be a good Muay Thai fighter but I doubt she would be able to do what she does but hey! I'm getting too picky aren't I.

Overall casting was big but unrequired, I think the inclusion of Carano lowers the tone really, she comes across way too much like an action figure, almost like a 'Black Widow' type character. The inclusion of Fassbender in a pretty cliched role didn't help either, almost an audition for the next Bond. Wasn't impressed with Ewan McGregor and his dodgy US accent, he really didn't seem to fit the bill for me whilst Banderas just seemed to be there to add more big names to the list as he does nothing, absolutely zero.

I think this film tries a bit too hard to be something more serious, maybe more of a 'Bourne' vehicle perhaps, but under the bonnet its just a simple double cross thriller with some excellent direction, fights and editing...soooo yes it is good then, it just thinks a bit too highly of itself.

Still not so sure why its called 'Haywire' though, makes you think its some kind of guns n explosion filled hyper action beast...but it isn't. I must add I hated the rather lame way Carano easily gets her man at the end on the beach, the rock bit, how on earth did he manage that!? lol!
It is pretty good by the way, just incase your not sure what I think at the end here, just not THAT good.
yeah , i didn't like Haywire much .... Gina Carano is pretty and ( I'd hit that + from what i know ) a pretty good MMA fighter . Still , a turd would act better and the pacing of the movie is retardly slow. Good camera work from Soderbergh but an empty script is empty. The beach fight was LOL 3/10

If you want to see a female kicking ass , check Colombiana ... a good 6.5/10 , not memorable but at least the popcorn tasted better.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Colombiana

Another Luc Besson movie. I love the guy but if you clear your mind of his 3 classics , you are left with good dumb movie. Which is the category that Colombiana falls into.

This movie got all the elements that movie geeks like

- Part fan sequel to THE PROFESSIONAL ... in the sense of Mathilda growing up after the movie if an actual sequel was made.

- Michael Vartan dated a kick-ass spy/killer in Alias , now he dates a kick-ass killer/assassin

- Lennie James played a cop chasing Russel Crowe in THE NEXT 3 DAYS ... now he plays a cop chasing Zoe

- Jordi Mollŗ played a drug lord in Bad Boys II ... now he plays a drug lord in Colombiana

I could go on but my point is that COLOMBIANA plays it safe .... even the escape sequence from young Cataleya at age 12 is mostly stolen from Banlieu 13 ( another Besson movie )

Park your brain and enjoy the ride ... sticking with my 6.5 rating

Last edited by Dirtyfrog; 05-10-2012 at 01:42 PM..
Old 05-10-2012, 11:24 PM

First time catching this.

9.5/10
Old 05-11-2012, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post

First time catching this.

9.5/10
Looks like Oldboy .... then i would agree
Old 05-11-2012, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
well i would not give it an 8 ... the movie got too many flaws and i actually liked Juno better. But i'd give it a solid 7. Charlize is worthy of her Monster fame in here.

My favorite scene is when she goes to see the crippled in the garage and Suicidal Tendencies - Feel Like Shit is playing loud .... i have related to that song for the last 20 years

My least favorite scene is when she drops her robe ... thought i was gonna see some titties but noooooooooo plastic tit holder instead of a bra
It's a low 8, but I do stick by it, I enjoyed it quite a bit overall despite its obvious flaws. Then again, you really shouldn't pay attention to my ratings so much as my thoughts, because I hate rating stuff and often just go with my gut. Whether that rating stays over time... anyone's guess, really. But honestly, I mostly attach ratings to my blurbs due to habit more than anything. I suck at being a critic.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syxxpac View Post
It's a low 8, but I do stick by it, I enjoyed it quite a bit overall despite its obvious flaws. Then again, you really shouldn't pay attention to my ratings so much as my thoughts, because I hate rating stuff and often just go with my gut. Whether that rating stays over time... anyone's guess, really. But honestly, I mostly attach ratings to my blurbs due to habit more than anything. I suck at being a critic.
You don't suck at being a critic, anyone can be one, we just all suck at giving that "proper" rating. But like you said, mostly a gut feeling - same with me
Old 05-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
Looks like Oldboy .... then i would agree
Indeed it is. I kept meaning to get around to it, but it never happened. So I thought, with finals almost over, I can finally have a break. Plus, I know Spike Lee is directing a remake which will most likely be terrible and completely miss the entire point. The only reason I didn't give it a ten out of ten is because the ending was out of place.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:43 AM
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2011) - 8/10
Old 05-11-2012, 12:39 PM

It was alright, nothing special.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:20 PM
The Five-Year Engagement (8/10)
Old 05-11-2012, 11:42 PM
finally got to see this

9/10
Old 05-12-2012, 12:04 AM
The Fountain-8/10
Old 05-12-2012, 01:03 AM
The Illusionist (2006)

Its funny, you don't see any films about magicians then all of a sudden two pop up in the same year, how does that work? We had the same deal with 'Dante's Peak' and 'Volcano' also 'Armageddon' and 'Deep Impact'...weird huh.

Anyhow this magic show is period set as is 'The Prestige' only this time we are in Vienna at the turn of the century. The plot is a mixture of a love story, a who dunnit? and magic all entwined within the rich lavish world of Austrian royalty.

The film simply popped up out of nowhere and my first impression was a cheap low budget equal to 'The Prestige' which was quite a big hit, I was amazed when it turned out to be such a rewarding film. The cast are all excellent here and fit beautifully into this decadent setting, Norton, Sewell, Giamatti, Biel and Marsan, all brilliant, what more can I say. I probably enjoyed Sewell as 'Prince Leopold' the most with his unhinged delicate state, jealousy and fury in his eyes as he loses the plot.

The plot is intriguing but does seem to do a 'Usual Suspects' spin towards the end, your average twist which you can sense was coming but fun to watch none the less. The film is a joy to watch simply down to the lovely work on sets, costumes, location and the magic tricks of which the main ones are assisted with cgi methinks which is a shame but still mysterious.

I guess the whole film or story is suppose to be one big magic trick or illusion really, one big puff of hocus pocus as the main lead wins the day and his love in a swirling mist of deception. Visually stunning, realistic? yes, not bad a tall...I can taste the strudel, superbly well performed and very enjoyable but maybe a little simpler than it was meant to be.*
Closed Thread