Old 06-17-2012, 05:45 PM
EVERYONE PLAY THIS GAME NOW!!!!!!

http://drawception.com/play/E1CssOEs...S0RqFMbVJlasQ/
Old 06-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Moonrise Kingdom

9.5/10
Old 06-17-2012, 08:17 PM
The Way Back - A group of people escape from a Siberian prison camp during WWII. There were some really good performances from people like Ed Harris, Colin Farrell, and Saoirse Ronan. It was a really depressing film for the most part but definitely still worth watching. 8/10
Old 06-17-2012, 09:25 PM
watched on bluray

9/10
Old 06-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Men in Black 3

I liked the original MIB film for its pure originality, imagination, quirky effects and the fact Sonnenfeld directed. This gave the film a nice kooky fun feeling just like he achieved with 'The Addams Family'. The second film didn't really seem up to much, more of a rehash of the first, bit of a sell out.

I was worried this third film would just be another rehash but in a nice huge surprise its pretty neat. The plot revolves around time travel which can be problematic for a film but its handled well and at no time did I feel confused.

The real meat of the film is of course the effects and alien imagination on hand, think of the whole film as a Mos Eisley space cantina sequence. This has always been the best parts in the MIB franchise, seeing who is an alien or what seemingly dull average setup could be an alien ship/base/weapon/creature etc...As with the previous films effects range from being really good wet n slimy concepts with the aliens, some great mask/makeup work mixed with cgi. But then the action sequences tend to look rather fake and hokey, its pretty obvious and never seems to look any good really, way obvious bluescreen work.

Of course the film is pretty much a live action cartoon so one can't quibble but it does still look really fake throughout. That aside I do love the in-jokes and little touches such as revealing famous figures to be either aliens or working for the MIB, its been done but it still works and gives that nice undercover secretive atmosphere that surrounds the whole (real) Men in Black mystery.
A nice bonus of course with this new film is all the little jokes about the vast differences in technology between 69 and the present day. Some fun pokes at obvious changes in tech sizes and battery usage, I also liked how the aliens in the MIB HQ seemed to be dressed circa 1969 (60's in general). In other words they all look like aliens from cheesy B-movies of the time, well I presume that was the idea hehe.

To be fair its only down to Brolin as a young 'Agent K' that makes it work so well. I think its safe to say without him it would have been business as usual from Hollywood and another factory line sequel. Although I must also give credit to the design and creation of 'Boris' who is certainly a pleasing baddie and quite formidable for once.
Played really well by Jemaine Clement I must give kudos to the whole idea, the character is actually quite eerie with his gnashing jaws, 'Tusken Raider' like eye sockets and creepy crawly servants, its a shame we don't see more of his real features. I loved how he was well spoken also, sounded like Tim Curry...he could of played the part also methinks.

Must also say, I hated the casting of Emma Thompson, she totally did not fit in this role one bit. The younger actress used to be her younger self was a complete balls up, no way she looked anything like a younger Thompson...but I nitpick.

The film isn't gonna blow you away by any means. Its solid fun and has done well to breathe new life into the franchise but its still somewhat of a cookie cutter blockbuster. I think this third bookmarks the franchise nicely and there is no need to milk it further. Unfortunately there are talks of a fourth which you know will spoil everything, Hollywood just doesn't know when to quit and end on a high, gotta bleed every last dime until its derided and dry.

On a final thought for you...Nicole Scherzinger, oh my god is she hot!! damn hot!! scorching!!! why couldn't she have been more involved in her black latex/pvc outfit!?. Oh the disappointment of that, talk about teasing you geez.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:33 AM
Crazy Stupid Love: 7/10. Such a nice film. Steve Carrell and Julianne Moore make a great pair. Julianne Moore is so beautiful and so good at every role she plays. Her transition to comedy has been a treat. Ryan Gosling did a great job in his first comedy and Emma Stone is always good. Great unexpected twist that the previews did a great job to cover up.

Apocalypse Now: 10/10. Wow Francis Ford Coppla was amazing back in the next. Another masterpiece. The best war film of all time and one of the best films of all time. I haven't watched too many films that Martin Sheen has been in. But he is a great actor. And Marlon Brando shows again why he is the greatest actor to have ever lived as he steals the movie in the short amount of time that he was on screen.

Vertigo: 10/10. An Alfred Hitchcock masterpiece. Such a treat to watch this film. Classic hollywood production.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Beasts of the Southern Wild - 7/10
Rock of Ages - 3/10
Safety Not Guaranteed - 8/10

Of the three, Safety Not Guaranteed is the most surprising film; Beasts, no doubt, will be heralded by bloggers telling you and insisting on how good it is, but I only found it decent, other than a strong performance by young Quvenzhané Wallis.

Safety Not Guaranteed has all the potential to fall into the quirky irritating indie genre (and features a rather abrasive character, played by Jake Johnson) and it pretty much feels like it's over before it starts, but by the end I was completely won over by the writing and the characters. Aubrey Plaza, leading lady -- would like some more of that, please. Mark Duplass, going from mumblecore director to a solid onscreen presence. I would've preferred they remain vague at the end, but in the end, it doesn't matter what the plot details are about.

Rock of Ages is an embarassment for all involved. Leave it at that.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Boy View Post
Rock of Ages - 3/10

Of the three, Safety Not Guaranteed is the most surprising film; Beasts, no doubt, will be heralded by bloggers telling you and insisting on how good it is, but I only found it decent, other than a strong performance by young Quvenzhané Wallis.

Safety Not Guaranteed has all the potential to fall into the quirky irritating indie genre (and features a rather abrasive character, played by Jake Johnson) and it pretty much feels like it's over before it starts, but by the end I was completely won over by the writing and the characters. Aubrey Plaza, leading lady -- would like some more of that, please. Mark Duplass, going from mumblecore director to a solid onscreen presence. I would've preferred they remain vague at the end, but in the end, it doesn't matter what the plot details are about.

I want to see Safety Not Guaranteed so bad! I hope it goes wide soon.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:17 PM

I liked it, didn't love it. It was really saved by the performances of Hemsworth and Stewert (I can't beleive I'm saying that). I found Theron to be highly enjoyable and over-the-top, I love seeing her as a villain. I would have like to have seen more of the dwarves and it did feel like some of the movie was cut for sake of trimming into barely over two hours.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canto View Post
Moonrise Kingdom

9.5/10
Best hipster movie of 2012 so far.

6/10

C'mon Guy Ritchie bring up a sequel to Rock n Rolla already!
Old 06-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Rampart

Proof-positive that some films can in fact live and die on a single performance. This one lives, to state the obvious follow-up. But what a performance! God-damn. Woody takes the role of a bullheaded, bigoted and deceptively well-spoken dirty cop and turns him into something truly mesmerizing when a cartoon might have otherwise been the result. There are few redeeming qualities in this guy, but Harrelson gets into his skin and shows us the toll it takes on even the baddest man to succumb to – or in his case be slowly destroyed by – social change. His kind are dying out and he knows it, hates it, and fights it at every turn with a fossilized worldview that’s doomed to fail. To give you a more potent example, it’s pretty bad when even the dude’s daughter calls him by his nickname “Date Rape”. Nuff said on that, I guess. Woody’s Messenger director Oren Moverman captures the grit and sun-baked grind of late-‘90’s L.A. to a tee, aided by James Ellroy’s hardboiled dialogue. Moverman also keeps the film interesting to watch with some creative camerawork and a slew of supporting roles from the likes of Steve Buscemi, Sigourney Weaver, Robin Wright and the chameleon himself Ben Foster. However, it’s ultimately Woody’s movie, and he hits a major high note with his performance that unfortunately tends to overshadow the rest of it. It’s not a perfect movie, and you’ve seen a lot of it before, but it’s an improvement for Ellroy after Street Kings and another solid hit for Woody and Moverman.

-> 7/10
Old 06-18-2012, 10:54 PM
The Avengers: 10/10.
I posted my review. And Amazing film. Best superhero movie easily.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Boy View Post
Rock of Ages - 3/10

I want to see Safety Not Guaranteed so bad. But the only two theaters that are playing it (the same two theaters that are playing Moonrise Kingdom they play small indie films) are about 30 minutes away .
Old 06-19-2012, 01:18 AM
Prometheus - 8/10
Iron Sky - 3/10
Old 06-19-2012, 07:38 AM

Commando on blu ray
7/10
Old 06-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Jaws 2012 4k restoration

It looks amazing.

10/10
Old 06-19-2012, 09:43 PM
Frozen - This could have been a decent film if there were better actors involved. Shawn Ashmore was decent but the other two pretty much sucked. 4/10

The Barretts of Wimpole Street - John Gielgud was fantastic as the overbearing father of Elizabeth Barrett Browning (Jennifer Jones.) The scenes toward the end of the film when Jones tries to break away from him and pursue her lover are great. 8/10
Old 06-19-2012, 11:50 PM
Shattered

6/10
Old 06-20-2012, 01:22 AM
Wrath of the Titans

Colour me amazed! what in the name of Greek buggery has happened here?! The first film was a complete and utter abomination which brought shame upon Hollywood, it wasn't good enough to buff the boots of the original. I still don't think anyone knows what Harryhausen thought of it.

So I didn't have high hopes for this sequel, which I think is understandable. But to my amazement this franchise has done a complete U-turn and actually come up with a semi decent film, well at least in looks anyway.

Bottom line this is a monster mash of epic proportions, its takes the concept of the original Harryhausen masterpiece and expands it ten fold with dazzling imagery. This is really what they should have done with the first remake instead of making crap up, but what I really can't get my head around is why this sequel looks SO MUCH BETTER than the first!. The last film had the Kraken which did look damn fine, but even that doesn't come close to anything in this sequel.

All the monsters here look terrific, yes there is a time lapse between films of course but the divide between quality here is huge!!. What can I say about 'Kronos'...a colossus of an effect, eye popping! I haven't been so impressed by a cgi effect since gods knows when, I can't remember. He just looked stunning, stunningly real, as if they actually did awaken a real god from the fiery depths of the underworld, colour me stunned!. The only creature I didn't like was the Minotaur which looked like a naff character from 'Mortal Kombat' ('Motaro' without his horse back end).

To be brutally honest the film is kept alive by the effects, the rest of the film is filled with pitiful acting and some of the most bizarre collection of accents for ancient Greece ever. The hero has an Aussie accent, Bill Nighy for some reason uses a Yorkshire accent (Northern England), how on earth they came to that decision I don't know. Finally you have 'Agenor' who is said to be a thief so of course they give him a London cockney accent! why?? what are they implying?.

Yes the film is basic pantomime but so was the original classic. The cast list isn't quite as impressive as the classic but it suffices and everybody does their bit to try for that grandiose epic taste. The whole film does look really really good with lovely locations, great costumes, beautiful vista's and a solid score.

In short I think they have finally captured the classic fun adventurous look of ancient Greek mythology just as they did all those years ago with classic films like 'Jason and the Argonauts'. Yes this sequel does follow pretty much the same pattern as the first, ending with a big monster to battle in the exact same way with virtually the same outcome, but because it all looks so crisp you really don't mind or notice too much.

This new film gives you exactly what we wanted all along and what the classic did perfectly...well created mythological monsters. For once the cgi does do the trick as it should and could if used properly. Ignore the first film this is what you've been waiting for, hopefully the third will continue the goodness.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:38 AM
Alien: 10/10. What a masterpiece from Ridley Scott. Beautiful, ambitious, terrifying. I loved it.

Sherlock Homles: 7/10. A fun movie to watch. Robert Downey Jr is on top of his game as the great detective. Jude Law and Rachel McAdams provide good performances.

The Aviator: 10/10. Martin Scorsese is the man. Leonardo Dicaprio is the man. With that together the Aviator was such a great film. Dicaprio gives one of if not his best performance as Howard Hughes. He embodies the troubled man and makes you feel the situation. It shows you how great a director Martin Scorsese is and how great an actor Leonardo Dicaprio.

Space Cowboys: 7/10. Clint Eastwood directs and stars in this film that is out of this world. Awesome cast all around that also includes the badass Tommy Lee Jones, Donald Sutherland, and Andrew Garfield. Fun, exciting funny, and even sad. Not his best film, but a good one.

Black Swan: 10/10. Saw this when it was in theaters and watched it for the second time. I loved it again. Natalie Portman is so beautiful and gifted as Nina. Mila Kunis was robbed of an academy award nomination. Such a brilliant film that leaves you feeling funny afterword.s Eerily great.

Last edited by Flimmaker1473; 06-20-2012 at 02:44 AM..
Old 06-20-2012, 04:21 PM

Rock of Ages(2012)-4/10
Old 06-20-2012, 06:43 PM
With Blood on My Hands: Pusher II

The continuation of Nicolas Winding Refn’s uniquely Scandinavian world of organized crime that gets pretty fucking disorganized pretty fucking fast. The story follows Mads Mikkelson’s Tonny from the first movie, glorified sidekick turned full-fledged protagonist whose redemptive arc gives this a stronger dramatic throughline than the original’s “pure suspense distilled into cinematic form” quality. In the first, Kim Bodnia’s put-upon pusher was simply trying to save his own ass, while here you have so many other complexities at work with Mikkelson’s previously one-note Tonny. Just out of jail, always owes someone something, can’t seem to get it up anymore, has a kid he never heard one word about, and is seen as a fuckup and disappointment by his crime boss father The Duke, who is one fuckup away from disowning him entirely. What’s a downtrodden pusher to do with such a mountain of shit? Go to some pretty ballsy and stupid extremes, as it turns out. The less said by me, the better, other than that it’s just as absorbing, beautifully photographed and effortlessly acted as its predecessor. It’s what every sequel should aspire to be, and Mikkelson carries it like a boss.

-> 9/10
Old 06-20-2012, 07:03 PM

Killer Joe

I guess how much you like this film will depend on how much you care for one scene in it, and that is the scene involving the fried chicken. I'm sure some will despise this film, but I thought it was hilarious. I am a bad bad man.

8/10
Old 06-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Black Legion with Humphrey Bogart - Bogart is a factory worker who joins the anti-immigrant group the Black Legion after he is passed over for a promotion. This was actually a pretty good film dealing with a big social problem at the time. Bogart was fantastic in the lead role as well. 8/10

Romance in Manhattan with Ginger Rogers - A romantic comedy in which an immigrant and an actress try to scrape together a living during the Depression. Rogers was a good comedic and dramatic actress as well as her more famous roles as a dancer. She delivers again here as does her lead actor. 7/10
Old 06-20-2012, 10:31 PM
Piranhaconda is a surprisingly effective piece of SyFy camp. It's Roger Corman, and he usually does a decent job with this kind of stuff. It's obviously not good by conventional means, but the actors go over-the-top and the girls look great and the deaths are funny. B-

Red Tails is one of the worst films of the year, and with George Lucas as executive producer, is that really a surprise? The acting is terrible, the dialogue is corny, and the story is cliché. The film is also sooooo freaking long! At about the 60-minute mark you're already clawing your eyes out and then Terrence Howards makes this big speech to his squadron and you think the movie is over and you check the time and you've still got an hour left. The pacing is really bad; the movie is slow as hell, and those "epic" speeches you usually find once per film are in this film like three or four times. Really abysmal piece of trash. D

Airplane! is a comedy classic. I saw it tonight for the millionth time and I was still in stitches by the end. The terrible puns, the random yet subtle humor, the random yet incredibly obvious humor, and the deadpan performances really make this film a gem of a comedy. The problem with these new spoof movies is that the characters know they're in a comedy. They partake in the ridiculousness, while in Airplane!, they remain completely straight while these whacky things are happening in the background. Or, I dunno, maybe the genre is just dead. Still, I love this movie so much. A+

Oh, and I'd love it if you guys read my reviews for Men in Black III, Piranha 3DD, and Take This Waltz. I've got incoming reviews as well for Prometheus, The Magic of Belle Isle, Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted, and Snow White and the Huntsman.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Men in Black 3: 7/10. Fun film, loved every bit of it. Josh Brolin was amazing. Better than the second one and close to the glory of the original.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:23 AM
Catch .44 (2011)

Odd title but familiar film with Willis taking part in another Tarantino-esq outing that does leave you feeling somewhat disappointed.

When I say Tarantino-esq I mean the plot is basically cut up and all over the show. We start at the end and work backwards with flashbacks aplenty to find out what happens. Thing is we never really discover the whole point behind most of it (only some characters) and frankly I didn't much care either.

The plot revolves around a trio of women (terrible casting and boring performances) whom I'm guessing are suppose to be sexy drug dealing associates of Willis (epic fail there). They are to wait in a diner and pick up a shipment but they are setup and everything goes tits up (yawn!). The problem is these characters aren't developed in any way and don't last too long either, so you aren't given the chance to like them and simply aren't bothered when the shit hits the fan.

The other characters are a mixed bunch that include Willis who is badly miscast as a drug dealing kingpin, Whitaker as a associate of Willis, acts well as usual but has this really annoying Spanish accent (I think it was Spanish) and Dourif in a cameo really. He isn't really important in any way, no point him even being there.

The setup and shootout that happens at the start (which is the end) is the best part. When you see it you wanna know what happens next but instead you are fed about 1h 20mins of flashbacks showing what happened before and how it all led up to the shootout, which isn't very interesting. So in short the finale stand off is the best bit where as the rest of the film is uninspired and dull with drab acting.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:11 AM
watching on dvd

8/10

my order goes from this

Old 06-21-2012, 03:53 AM
Brave (7/10)
Old 06-21-2012, 04:54 AM
Margin Call 7/10
Old 06-21-2012, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post

Killer Joe

I guess how much you like this film will depend on how much you care for one scene in it, and that is the scene involving the fried chicken. I'm sure some will despise this film, but I thought it was hilarious. I am a bad bad man.

8/10
Cool. I've heard hardly any opinions on this film at all. I want to see it.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:33 PM

That's My Boy(2012)-6/10

Last edited by Puck Bond; 06-25-2012 at 04:29 PM..
Old 06-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck Bond View Post

That's My Boy(2012)-5/10
It's funny, 'cause whenever I see that poster I think of the poster for MY BLUE HEAVEN.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:53 PM
The Secret Bride with Barbara Stanwyck - A recently married couple are caught up in a murder plot and must hide their marriage so he won't be accused of favoritism during the trial of her father. Stanwyck is always a delight and there is a lot that happens in this relatively short film. 7/10
Old 06-21-2012, 08:03 PM

Lawrence of Arabia

Apparently the first complete screening of Sonys 2012 4k restoration, it looks really really good- the bluray will be good.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Collaborator is an intense drama with some really great character development and an especially wonderful performance by David Morse. A-

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance is ridiculous, with terrible dialogue and a way over-the-top performance by Nicolas Cage . . . but I think that's why I kinda really dig this movie. The direction is cool and artistically I think it stands out. Much like it's predecessor, this film is total camp for me, but I think this is even better than Ghost Rider. B+

Moonrise Kingdom is an excellent coming-of-age film, whimsical yet occasionally morbid, and clever yet occasionally silly. The cast is uniformly excellent, especially the two kids. If I had to look for a gripe, it would be that Harvey Keitel, Jason Schwartzman, and Tilda Swinton are all underused. All three are fine actors, and yet they probably get less than fifteen minutes of screen time combined. Still, I love this movie, probably my favorite of the year. A
Old 06-22-2012, 03:15 AM
Hellraiser (7/10)
Old 06-22-2012, 04:01 AM
The Prestige

Always loved this film. So many layers.

10/10
Old 06-22-2012, 04:19 AM
The Proposal: 6/10. Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock have nice chemistry. But there is something missing. Decent overall though, some pretty funny moments.

The Mask of Zoro: 7/10. Cool Zoro movie. Antonio Bandeas and Catherine Zeta Jones do a good job. But Anthony Hopkins is amazing as usual. He can just disappear into a role. Nice and actioned packed.

Captain America the first Avenger: 7/10. Good origin film. Good solid action flick over all. I can't wait what the sequel will look like.

Monster's Ball: 10/10. What a beautiful film. No wonder Halle Berry won the academy award for this as her performance was incredible. Billy Bob Thorton was amazing as well (makes me wonder why he doesn't do more dramatic films now). Such a sad tale with a touching and hopeful ending.

Aliens: 10/10. I don't like James Cameron as a person. But damn this guy can make movies. Aliens is a masterpiece. It is as if not more bone chilling than Alien.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:23 AM
Beautiful Boy (8/10)
Closed Thread