Old 07-17-2012, 11:09 PM

Two in the Wave (Deux de la Vague) - The story of the relationship between Jean-Luc Godard and Francois Truffaut, told through archival footage and rare interviews and the role their relationship played in the French New Wave of Cinema. Fascinating. Loved every second and learned so, so much.

Great Directors - A collection of interviews with some incredible directors, including John Sayles, Bernardo Bertolucci, Ken Loach, Agnes Varda and David Lynch. My favorite interview by far was with Catherine Breillat. Everything she said was so profound to me, and I'll definitely be seeking out her work this month for sure.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:43 AM
21 Jump Street (8/10)
Batman Begins (8/10)
Old 07-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Ted

I’d be interested to know how this plays to people who can’t stand Family Guy, but as a biased MacFarlane loyalist, I thought this was hilarious. Like, so quotable it’s almost not funny. So to speak. It even resembles an episode of Family Guy from time to time, with brief flashbacks that serve the same punchline duties as the show’s random cutaways, only in this case you can argue they actually mean something more (such as the FG-like Airplane! flashback to the night Wahlberg and Kunis met). MacFarlane seems to understand that he has to try a little harder for a film, even one about a talking teddy bear who likes to smoke “Mind Rape” weed and eat potato salad off a trailer park hottie’s ass. He does a surprisingly versatile job directing his first movie that looks like a rom-com one minute, then an action movie or a live-action cartoon the next. What else? Celebrity (Flash Gordon! Ha!) and Family Guy cameos, including Alex Borstein, Patrick Warburton and the writer who does the voice of the Not Quite Acclimated Swedish Immigrants on the show. Then there’s the formulaic but effective bromance vs. romance conflict, which Wahlberg and Kunis somehow carry credibly and naturally like they were in a Nancy Meyers flick or something. Ultimately, you’ve seen this type of story done before, but in another sense, you really, really haven’t.

-> 8/10
Old 07-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Underworld: Rise of the Lycans - 6.5/10
The Devil Inside - 5/10
Old 07-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Where Is the Friend's Home? - 7/10
Life, and Nothing More... - 8/10
Through the Olive Trees - 8/10

Abbas Kiarostami's "Koker Trilogy" is comprised of three films that deconstruct the prior one. "Friend's Home" is the most simple, a morality tale where one boy must do the right thing and return homework he accidentally took from a friend. Kiarostami scripted a film for Jafar Panahi a few years later called The White Balloon and this feels like a blueprint. The next film, Life and Nothing More, takes a documentarian back to the town to find the boys, wandering through a jagged terrain of post-earthquake Iran. Through the Olive Trees ascends to the next level, a deconstruction of "Life" where the a movie is being made about the documentarian's search for the actors involved in...whew! Featuring a signature Kiarostami shot of the lone tree on the hill and a great metaphor for man's struggle with a tiny car trying to make it up that hill.

Margaret (extended cut) - 8/10

Adds a half hour to the proceedings, which, in my view, takes away the ambiguity regarding those odd cuts and jumps from the theatrical.
Spoiler:
Lisa's abortion, which came out of nowhere in the theatrical, is now clearly shown in full, thus eliminating any mystery surrounding whether or not she's making it up and/or has a mental issue
Basically doesn't change the film for the better or the worse, though some obvious changes that are detrimental include drowning everything in operatic music and ambient crowd noise, i.e. an exchange between Lisa and her classmates regarding Israel and Palestine. The angry war of words is smothered in strings, where I swore I remembered the conversation in full with no music whatsoever.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Shame about the noise drowning that Israel and Palestine cdinversation out, that's one of my favourite scenes in the theatrical version, oh well still looking fporward to watching the extended.

The Dark Knight Rises (10/10)
I can not see how or why any one who liked the first two films would be disappointed by this. This one ups the stakes in almost every way. Bane is the perfect villain for this stage of the trilogy and Hardy, along with Hathaway are stand outs. Bale also gives his best performance of the trilogy, too. I wasn't as emotional as I expected but that could partly be because of the constant reaction from the midnight screening audience. All in all at least on par with The Dark Knight, but that could change with my much anticipated second viewing.

Rear Window (8/10)

Last edited by Hucksta G; 07-18-2012 at 08:50 PM..
Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 PM
The Appointment with Omar Sharif and Anouk Aimee - A lawyer thinks his wife may be working as a high class prostitute. It was slow going for a while but the film picks up in the second half. 7/10

Kung Fu Panda 2 - Not the most original story but it was decent with a couple of laughs. 5/10
Old 07-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Army of Darkness - 7/10 (pretty funny and entertaining)

He Got Game - 8/10
Old 07-18-2012, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Boy View Post
Where Is the Friend's Home? - 7/10
Life, and Nothing More... - 8/10
Through the Olive Trees - 8/10

Abbas Kiarostami's "Koker Trilogy" is comprised of three films that deconstruct the prior one. "Friend's Home" is the most simple, a morality tale where one boy must do the right thing and return homework he accidentally took from a friend. Kiarostami scripted a film for Jafar Panahi a few years later called The White Balloon and this feels like a blueprint. The next film, Life and Nothing More, takes a documentarian back to the town to find the boys, wandering through a jagged terrain of post-earthquake Iran. Through the Olive Trees ascends to the next level, a deconstruction of "Life" where the a movie is being made about the documentarian's search for the actors involved in...whew! Featuring a signature Kiarostami shot of the lone tree on the hill and a great metaphor for man's struggle with a tiny car trying to make it up that hill.
Nice write up. The White Balloon is terrific also.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:50 PM
Rhapsody In August (1991) - 7/10

This late Kurosawa film is hardly great, but still features some great scenes that one would expect from him, especially a scene involving ants. Richard Gere has a very small role as the son of an American Woman and Japanese Man, and he actually isn't bad.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:10 AM
Snow White and the Huntsman

Going off on a different route with this classic tale, the Brothers Grimm might be spinning in their graves. I use the term 'might be' as perhaps they would of liked this epic offering, myself I can't quite decide.

The plot is completely upside down and inside out, this isn't your Disney story nor is it even close to the Grimm tale, apart from a few legendary sequences of course. Not that this is a big problem though as the story is constructed well and does flow nicely with all the elements required for Ms White's tale. Its just a rather big swerve from what you might expect.

The main issue with this film is obvious from about the point where we meet the evil Queen. This film is taken waaaay too seriously and is almost bordering on some kind of biopic historical epic. Theron seems to be going for Oscar gold here as she bellows and rants like crazy, most scenes are pretty overly intense, Snow White has her own little William Wallace moment towards the end as if we were in a real moment of British ancient history and there's actually quite a bit of blood and violence here.

Ironic I know, most times I yearn for more darkness and death with a serious tone in films these days as they are mostly aimed at the younger audience. But this time its just too much, amazingly.

Kinda got that feeling when we see Snow White breaching the evil Queens castle walls and hacking her way through lots of knights. Add in the odd slow motion moment and you start thinking we're getting a tad off track from what we have all come to know/think of Snow White.
Her childhood friend 'William' also adds to this notion when he shows us he's pretty much an invincible one man army and would put Hawkeye to shame in the bow n arrow ranks.

The film looks fantastic I must say, the visuals, locations and effects to conjure up this bleak murky fairy inhabited fantasy world are gorgeous. This is right up there with 'Legend' and is one of the best looking fantasy films I've seen for some time. Clear influences from various films jump out at you all over the show of course, the biggest being 'Lord of the Rings' with the sweeping mountain vista's, knights in battle and large CGI trolls. Other films such as 'Willow' especially at the start of the film for instance, infact the film seems to start more family friendly like 'Willow' but slowly morphs into a much darker gloomy affair.

Another problem if you ask me was casting. Everyone was fine in their roles accept for...yep you guessed it, Stewart. Despite my feelings for her (yep I have a crush) she really can't act too well. She tries bless her but all she ever does is pout, sulk and never actually says much whilst looking awkward and embarrassed most of the time...just like young girls do at her age infact. Of course she also brings with her the unwanted baggage of the 'Twilight' franchise which many do not like, not a good start for this fantasy franchise. Its very clear she was cast purely down to her previous fantasy film experience with vamps n wolves.

As for the rest they are all fine. Excellent performance by Sam Spruell as 'Finn' but Vince Reagan is becoming somewhat type cast as bearded men in time. Hemsworth is hard to understand at times with his attempts at an old English Northern accent but he looks the part perfectly. As I said before Theron is just completely detached from the film with her humongous epic attempts at an Oscar or so it seems.
As for the controversy about actors playing the band of dwarfs, I see no problem with that a tall, infact they were one of the best things in the film. These guys should of been in 'LOTR' haha, really well designed and realised, would never have guessed they were top stars like Hoskins and Winstone.

Its good to see some creepy gothic darkness which is what the Grimm Brothers were all about (to a degree), but this film seems to lose that aspect and go down the sweeping historical epic route at full throttle. A great fantasy film that looks tremendous on one hand, but I think everyone got carried away and forgot it was suppose to be based around a children's fairytale.

'FREEDOM!!' oh wait..
Old 07-19-2012, 10:54 AM

9/10

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, TONIGHT!
Old 07-19-2012, 02:49 PM

9.5/10
Old 07-19-2012, 04:26 PM
50/50

Another solid offering from Levine about young people going through bullshit in their life and I totally loved this. A deeply touching story that stems from screenwriter Will Reiser's personal life, met with Joseph Gordon-Levitt's honest portrayal of what it is to be hit with a pretty fucking serious disease at such an early age, makes for a film filled with emotional content. It's sprinkled with some comedy as not to make the entire thing flat out depressing. But all of it does not overshadow the true core, which is that realization you're faced when you're hit with your own mortality and just how fucking fast it can happen to anyone. We're all raised on the belief from our parents and everyone else that we're immortal for many, many years to come and that the idea of death is some alien concept that young people don't have to deal with. Not with this film, and I'm glad filmmakers tackle on these serious themes with care, to wake us up from delusions, the way Fight Club has done years before it.

9/10
Old 07-19-2012, 08:00 PM
The Jerk

Steve Martin and Carl Reinerís unorthodox coming of age comedy classic about Navin Johnson, a goofy white guy raised by a black Mississippi family who doesnít realize heís not actually black until heís 35. That he discovers this because of his lack of rhythm and his instinctive attunement to vanilla easy-listening on the radio is one of those old school ďlame white dudeĒ jokes that would probably be considered uninspired and trite today, but with Reinerís direction and Martinís endearing performance itís spun into haplessly sincere gold. The whole is not as consistently, laugh out loud funny as Iíd been led to believe based on its huge cinephile fanbase, with a lot of random jokes stringing together what plot there is, but the character himself is an obvious pioneer in moronic comedy that had to have influenced such future favorites as Dumb & Dumber. So I give it a break. Plus, it basically put Steve Martin on the map as a serious movie star alongside fellow TV comics of the era like Chevy Chase. And in the end, it's Martin's impeccable comic timing of Navin's priceless childlike reactions to first time experiences like hitchhiking and dating that make the movie funnier than it really is.

-> 8/10
Old 07-19-2012, 09:26 PM
Sons of Anarchy: Season 4

Phew. After a somewhat uneven previous season, we've got ourselves a back to form quality storyline. Jax's evolution into a seriously mean motherfucker was a long time coming and judging by the turn of events this time around, this is only the beginning. Totally loved it, and cannot wait for whats to come.

10/10
Old 07-19-2012, 09:32 PM
L'avventura - A very good story about a woman who goes missing and the relationship that begins between the lover and best friend. There is a very deliberate pace to the film and there are many beautiful shots of Italian scenery as well. 8/10

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - I liked this espionage film and the hunt for the mole was compelling if a little confusing at times. Oldman was fantastic but I really don't like Colin Firth. He is one of the dullest actors around. 7/10
Old 07-20-2012, 10:56 AM
The Dark Knight Rises is sadly underwhelming. It's an enjoyable flick, but Nolan set the bar so high with The Dark Knight, and this film falls way beneath it. It's the weakest in the trilogy, to be honest, but it's still a good film. Tom Hardy is great as Bane, and most of the supporting performances are fine. Anne Hathaway is actually the best Catwoman put on camera. She brings a sexy intellect to the character, and boy, does she do the sexy part well. I kinda wish she was in that suit more, because she fucking rocked it. The action is well-shot and exciting, the music is great, and the cinematography is beautiful. Unfortunately, the film suffers from some plot holes, some cringe-inducing dialogue (usually one-liners), and a terrible ending. 3 stars
Old 07-20-2012, 11:41 AM
The Dark Knight Rises - 8.5/10
Old 07-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Nightmare on Elm Street 4 '88

I rented this off of On Demand due to there being a High Def. print available. This movie is sadly underwhelming and nowhere as good as I remembered it being in 1989 when I saw it the first time.

I still do like Nightmare on Elm Street 1 and happily bought the Bluray...

But, as far as the sequels... Drew Barrymore once said they all sucked. I never believed her till this year when rewatching them.

D-
Old 07-20-2012, 09:17 PM
The Man in the Iron Mask (1939) - The film differs from the novel in many ways but it is still an enjoyable story. I especially liked the Fouquet character as the evil mastermind. 7/10

Beautiful Girls - A decent film about a man returning home for a reunion. Nothing really stood out but I did like the small town feel of the film. 5/10
Old 07-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Twixt - 4/10

Crazy Horse - 7/10

The Queen of Versailles - 7/10
Old 07-20-2012, 11:26 PM
Jhon Carter -- 6/10.
A story of a man who unfortunately reach in marsh and become an important character there. He fell in love with the princes.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:28 PM
Iron Eagle (1986)

Released in the same year as 'Top Gun' and virtually a fantastic unauthorised sequel! nah not really. This really is your typical 80's kiddie fare much like 'Space Camp' 'Flight of the Navigator' or 'Karate Kid'. A pop tune filled collection of montages which take you from one action sequence to another. You could almost include 'The A-Team' and 'Rocky' in here as influences also.

To use another example if you will, this could almost be 'The Goonies in the Air Force'. A young teens father (who is a fighter pilot) gets trapped behind enemy lines after being shot down. He is up for a darn good hanging so its up to the plucky cocky good looking young teen to fly in there and bail his own dad outta jail.

Sounds ridiculous? well it is, Louis Gossett Jr tags along and assists the young boy as he himself is a grizzled old fighter pilot. With the help of more plucky young kiddies Gossett and Gedrick plan how to fly into a fictional Arab country and nab his dad. They do this with lots of very daft tacky action plans involving the kids stealing highly delicate info, ammo supplies, maps and even two jet fighters into the bargain. The young Gedrick and his friends can do all this quite easily it seems just because they all live on the Air Force base (their folks are in the Air Force of course).

As I said before they do all this with constant musical montages lol! When we do see some dog fights its as expected, pretty terrible looking and with some rather obvious models being blown up...badly, clearly plastic and cardboard.

Kids version of 'Top Gun' and completely family friendly apart from the odd curse word hehe. Can't believe this actually made it to the cinema in the same year as that Tony Scott film, what a difference! its more of a TV movie really. Best thing here is probably the soundtrack and the rather cool poster.

Iron Eagle II (1988)

Gedrick returns at the start only to be blown out of the sky in an early dogfight but Gossett lives on to play in another mission.

This time Gossett must train a small group of ragtag US pilots and a small team of no nonsense Russian pilots. Together they will team up to take out a nuclear warhead base in a diplomatically unnamed Middle Eastern country.

The story is actually based very loosely on a real mission also in 1981, that's probably the most interesting part of the film as the rest is pretty dire stuff. Half the film is just the two teams of pilots training and fighting amongst themselves in an almost 'Police Academy' type situation. Gone are the montages accompanied by 80's pop music, this time its a bit more serious and not aimed at very young male kids.

We still have the same type of flight sequences which look suspiciously like the same sequences from the first film, or at least filmed at the same time and carried over to this sequel. Everything was shot for real in Israel using Israeli pilots and jets (just like the first film) so is it coincidence that they set the first two films in Israel? money saver seeing as they were there?.
Air destruction and ground action utilizes a lot of models again which unfortunately do stand out as models, more so when they are blown up, just like the first film again.

Still desperately trying to capitalize on the success of 'Top Gun' but obviously not coming close. This film fails to even better the original as its taken too seriously and is still only TV movie quality at best.

They still couldn't resist the rousing Kenny Loggins type music track for the end credits, they really try to make this ice cool.

Aces: Iron Eagle III (1992)

Louis Gossett Jr is back*for a third mission in this made for TV looking movie franchise. This time he's up against some drug smuggling Peruvians, some crooked US Air Force officers and all lead by an ex-Nazi officer (dunno how a Nazi officer can look so young, pretty sure this is set in the present day of the time).

So yes the plot is a complete 'A-Team' load of tosh and quite frankly it looks like an episode of the 'A-Team' haha. The whole thing is so quaint and charming with no swearing and Action Man/G.I.Joe level violence that you do find yourself enjoying the camaraderie.

The major plus point here is easily the fact that Gossett's character is now flying an old WWII Lockheed P-38 Lightning which looks just the ticket old boy . Alongside him are a small group of retired aces/friends from Germany, Japan and the UK, each of them flying their own classic wartime fighters. The legendary Spitfire, German Messerschmitt Bf 109 and Japanese Mitsubishi A6M Zero, shame the Jap and GER fighters aren't genuine though.

The real treat of the film is seeing all four of these vintage planes fly together and maneuver though the skies against a group of basic modern jets (unsure what they were). Of course its all complete fantasy and hogwash as the classic planes have been upgraded with laser targeting missiles and manage to win but its easily much more fun to watch than high octane fighter jets zooming around.

To add another cheerful cult spice to the broth is the cast. Sure the four goodies are completely racial stereotypes like something out of a 'Pink Panther' movie but in a happy non offensive way I think. The Japanese pilot is none other than martial arts legend Sonny Chiba! a bit difficult to understand what he says at times but what a result for the production. The noble-like aristocratic Christopher Cazenove is pitch perfect for the 'chocks away' good sporting British pilot complete with a pencil tash and Horst Buchholz as the steely German ace.

Up against the good guys is the regularly cast foreign accent expert for baddies, Paul Freeman of 'Indiana Jones' fame ('Belloq'). Boxer Ray Mancini as a henchman and another regular bad guy Juan FernŠndez de Alarcon as the second in command henchman with his devious untrustworthy appearance. Overall quite a unique and interesting cast that really does help the film.

Its totally B-movie fodder and as I said, looks as if its been made for TV only. That said this film does actually look a bit better than the second film certainly, effects and pyrotechnics wise, there are some pretty impressive looking explosions dotted around. Unfortunately you also still have some dubious looking model work going on but I guess that adds to the charm.

Absolute nonsense from start to finish agreed but the combination of vintage war planes, early James Bond type action and the quirky enjoyable cast make this shine through the clouds.

Iron Eagle on the Attack (1995, aka Iron Eagle IV)

For some reason Louis Gossett Jr returns yet again for the fourth film in this very average franchise. This time he is now a retired flight instructor for delinquent youths, why do young criminals get to learn to fly for their crimes?.

Easily the worst film out of the four if you ask me. There is hardly any actual flight action other than a few sequences inside 'T-6 Texan' trainer aircraft. There is a bit of fighter action towards the end but its not much better than the previous film efforts in terms of effects or stunts.

The plot is terrible and involves more corrupt US Air Force officials trying to create deadly bio weapons on the sly. Yep you've guessed it, its up to Gossett and his criminal kids to save the day and stop them. The major issue I have with this film is the fact they decide to bring back 'Doug Masters' from the original film despite the fact he was killed off at the start of the second! how on earth?!. There is no explanation for this either, he's just there, good as new, errr continuity?

It doesn't matter anyway as the film is dreadful in every way, visuals, effects, plot, acting etc...A poor end for the franchise after a pretty good third film, Gossett must have had high hopes after part 3 why else would he agree to this?.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:58 AM

Take Shelter(2011)-6/10
Old 07-21-2012, 10:08 AM
watching on bluray

9/10
Old 07-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Dodgeball - 7.5/10
Old 07-21-2012, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbs View Post
Aces: Iron Eagle III (1992)

Louis Gossett Jr is back*for a third mission in this made for TV looking movie franchise. This time he's up against some drug smuggling Peruvians, some crooked US Air Force officers and all lead by an ex-Nazi officer (dunno how a Nazi officer can look so young, pretty sure this is set in the present day of the time).

So yes the plot is a complete 'A-Team' load of tosh and quite frankly it looks like an episode of the 'A-Team' haha. The whole thing is so quaint and charming with no swearing and Action Man/G.I.Joe level violence that you do find yourself enjoying the camaraderie.

The major plus point here is easily the fact that Gossett's character is now flying an old WWII Lockheed P-38 Lightning which looks just the ticket old boy . Alongside him are a small group of retired aces/friends from Germany, Japan and the UK, each of them flying their own classic wartime fighters. The legendary Spitfire, German Messerschmitt Bf 109 and Japanese Mitsubishi A6M Zero, shame the Jap and GER fighters aren't genuine though.

The real treat of the film is seeing all four of these vintage planes fly together and maneuver though the skies against a group of basic modern jets (unsure what they were). Of course its all complete fantasy and hogwash as the classic planes have been upgraded with laser targeting missiles and manage to win but its easily much more fun to watch than high octane fighter jets zooming around.

To add another cheerful cult spice to the broth is the cast. Sure the four goodies are completely racial stereotypes like something out of a 'Pink Panther' movie but in a happy non offensive way I think. The Japanese pilot is none other than martial arts legend Sonny Chiba! a bit difficult to understand what he says at times but what a result for the production. The noble-like aristocratic Christopher Cazenove is pitch perfect for the 'chocks away' good sporting British pilot complete with a pencil tash and Horst Buchholz as the steely German ace.

Up against the good guys is the regularly cast foreign accent expert for baddies, Paul Freeman of 'Indiana Jones' fame ('Belloq'). Boxer Ray Mancini as a henchman and another regular bad guy Juan FernŠndez de Alarcon as the second in command henchman with his devious untrustworthy appearance. Overall quite a unique and interesting cast that really does help the film.

Its totally B-movie fodder and as I said, looks as if its been made for TV only. That said this film does actually look a bit better than the second film certainly, effects and pyrotechnics wise, there are some pretty impressive looking explosions dotted around. Unfortunately you also still have some dubious looking model work going on but I guess that adds to the charm.

Absolute nonsense from start to finish agreed but the combination of vintage war planes, early James Bond type action and the quirky enjoyable cast make this shine through the clouds.

So this is the film Brian wanted to direct based on a screenplay he wrote and Meg laughing that it was already made.

My Way 9/10

A must see war film for fans of Te Geuk Gi and Saving Private Ryan.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:29 PM
The Dark Knight Rises

The Dark Knight will probably go down as the masterpiece of the trilogy thanks to Ledgerís iconic performance, but this is still everything I couldíve hoped for in a final chapter to an incredible legacy all the same. Not content to rest on laurels and coast to a complacent finish with the next villain du jour, Nolan crafts another robut thinking-manís action film that explores so many moral questions about what truth, justice, law and order really mean to society that itís a bit staggering for a first-time viewing. Either itís too ambitious or I really need to see it again. But since Iím gonna watch it many times to come in the future anyway, ambition isnít a bad thing for a movie so packed with satisfying goodies. I also just love the doomful color palette Nolan employs to separate this from its predecessors. A lot of grey, a lot of ambient haze, a lot of shadows. Simply put, it feels like a reckoning for Gotham. Reminded me a bit of the Batman game Arkham City. Acting-wise, Christian Bale puts in probably his best effort as Bruce Wayne since his coming-of-identity arc in Begins, and Tom Hardy as Bane is equal parts ferocity and theatrical cunning as the proverbial Immovable Object. Odd, however, is how at times it sounded like Nolan got Patrick Stewart to do voice dubbing for some of his dialogue. Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman do their thing from previous films and it still works for them, while Joseph Gordon-Levitt brings gravitas to a somewhat one-note idealistic role, and Anne Hathaway finds that precarious balance between witty camp and sultry cool thatís defined the Catwoman persona in the past. All in all, itís not a perfect film, as the first half feels a bit sluggish in getting on its feet, but once it does Ė with the amazing Batman vs. Bane fight scene especially - the last half is epic filmmaking at its finest. Tag to that an emotional ending that wraps Bruce Wayneís story up perfectly, and I have very little of substantive note to bitch about.

-> 9/10
Old 07-21-2012, 09:18 PM
My Week With Marilyn - It was a decent story with some good performances but Michelle Williams just can't capture the essence of Marilyn Monroe. 6/10

Left in Darkness - Not much new in this horror film but Monica Keena did look really good and there were a couple of scares. 5/10
Old 07-21-2012, 10:28 PM
JOE SATRIANI: SATCHURATED - 5/10

I've seen this guy live three times, and have all of his albums and DVD concerts. I don't like Chickenfoot, though.

So with that said, this is the first concert where I was truly unimpressed. It was a kind of sad display of unimaginative redundancy. Plus, he tuned his guitar down half a step (another reason Chickenfoot hasn't helped him out), and after hearing these songs for so many years, a few titles just do NOT sound right in a different key. It's funny how many times it doesn't really matter (Satch Boogie, War, many others), and other times it just makes the song less engaging (Always With Me...).

Another problem is that it's chock-full of Satch's humdrum twiddly-diddlies, with almost half the songs going on three minutes longer than they should because he ONCE AGAIN showboats his way around the stage.
Granted, he does this all the time, but he typically wanks off for 1 out of every 5 songs, where this time around he does it for every 4 of 5 songs. I must say, it gets old real fucking quick.

A dream came true when Dream Theater's LIVE AT BUDOKAN was released on bluray; and it is truly divine.
I don't think it'll happen, but it would be great to have JOE SATRIANI: LIVE IN SAN FRANCISCO on blu.

Until then, skip this concert.

PINK FLOYD: THE MAKING OF WISH YOU WERE HERE - 7/10

At under an hour, I thought I was going to get more, but what there is is decent. I knew 99% of the stuff from this documentary, but I'm quite the PF fan and I doubt many will be as familiar with a lot of the information this documentary provides.
It's good, but not great.

TWILIGHT ZONE: SEASON 1, DISC 1 - 7/10

I finally had a chance to delve into this set, which I got for cheap on a Gold Box sale. I have a long way to go, but that's alright; time is on my side.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Roman Polanski's The Tenant - meh, it was alright. 7/10
Old 07-22-2012, 12:04 AM
Last night I watch Almighty Thor. Not so good movie. The animation was very poor.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:05 AM
GET THE GRINGO - 6/10

Not too shabby, but I wish there wasn't so much stupid-ass voiceover narration for the first half hour. It's another instance in which there is a fear that the audience will be too stupid to look at what's happening on the screen, so it's up to the character to give a VO explaining what we would just figure out by WATCHING the damned movie.

However, the VO disappears once another person shows up to talk with Gibson (another sign of the laziness and lack of faith in the audience being patient and observant), and it's not too bad after that.

I had no idea Peter Stormare was in either one of the movies I watched today,.

LOCKOUT - 5/10

It could have been better if Snow (Guy Pierce) was more relatable. He's too full of one-liners, tough guy bravado and complete disregard to the urgency of danger, which weakens the attempt at seriousness from everyone else around him.
It's not Pierce's fault; he was good.
Some of the CGI was shoddy, but pretty ambitious for a low budget sci-fi actioner. I wasn't too upset with that, and for the most part it was an ok movie.
It's just ESCAPE FROM NEW YO---- SPACE PRISON, with Snow as Snake. Which is fine.

THIS MEANS WAR - 5/10

Run of the mill "comedy" in which two guys make one big stupid mistake, and instead of deciding to call it off - which is very easy to do at any point, actually - they let shit get too deep, and "hilarity" ensues.
I hate comedies like this - MEET THE PARENTS was torture for me to sit through. All Stiller has to do is LEAVE and COME BACK LATER. With this movie, the two assholes just needed to FESS UP before emotions took over too much.
Instead, we're stuck sitting through one shenanigan after another (never mind the severe lawbreaking and use of government resources and team members - who in the real world would have reported their asses and had them in jail before you could say "holy SHIT!"), leading to the ultimate third act in which a "bad guy" that was all but invisible save for the opening scene finally jumps in for a finale action scene, culminated precisely at the movie moment when the Big Reveal is given to the poor female pawn, stuck between the two douchebags' immature game play.
Of course, we as the audience are supposed to dupe ourselves into the whole "romance of it all" and disregard the blatant outrageousness of it all, but I'm sorry... it was about the point where FDR was watching TITANIC at his place that I lost any concern for them.
I wanted her to choose neither one, have her heart broken for a while - and it would probably damage her enough to never try to find someone again, but so be it; men are assholes. These two fuckheads deserve nothing more.
But of course it has to end - big non-spoiler here - with nothing but smiles and satisfaction for all.
I know this is what it is supposed to be, this movie intends to be nothing more than this. However, it doesn't justify the sheer audacity with which it lacks originality, plausibility or emotional significance.

Thankfully, with all that said there were some pretty funny parts; especially the paintball scene. That was hilarious! So I give it points for actually being able to deliver laughs.

Last edited by KcMsterpce; 07-22-2012 at 08:21 AM..
Old 07-22-2012, 10:55 AM
The Full Monty - 8/10
Constantine - 6/10
Old 07-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Even though I saw it two days ago

7.5/10
Old 07-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Batman Begins-4.5/5

a fitting start to the Batman story

The Dark Knight-5/5

The centerpiece of the series

The Dark Knight Rises-4.5/5

a fitting end but not as stirring as the dark knight.

The Dark Knight Series-4.5/5

One of the best comic book series. I still will put LOTR, Original Star Wars, and Toy Story Series above The Dark Knight series. I
Old 07-22-2012, 05:08 PM
The Dark Knight Rises

9.5/10
Old 07-22-2012, 05:31 PM

Read My Lips 7/10
Old 07-22-2012, 09:28 PM
Cross of Iron - A fantastic war film from Sam Peckinpah. Maximillian Schell was great as the entitled aristocrat who will do anything to win the Iron Cross and James Coburn is just as good as the war weary veteran. There were a lot of great battle scenes and the ending was amazing. This is one film that is often overlooked but really shouldn't be. I highly recommend this one even if it may be a little bleak for some people. 9/10

Storm in a Teacup with Vivien Leigh and Rex Harrison - A reporter writes an article that embarrasses a politician who happens to be the father of the woman he is attracted to. It's a pretty good comedy that touches on social issues as well. It may be a little light and breezy but there are a few good scenes that make it worth seeing. 7/10

The Thirst - A trashy horror film with few redeeming qualities besides Clare Kramer in skimpy outfits. The gore was wildly unrealistic and the story was just awful. 3/10
Closed Thread