Originally Posted by sarah1980 View Post

first time viewing

will give rating later
8/10

#16 was The Descent

now watching #17

8/10
Old 10-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Here is my review of Tim Burton's Frankenweenie, which is the only film I watched today.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Tell No One

Plot holes ahoy! Although as far as thrillers go, it's not a bad one

7/10
Old 10-05-2012, 11:43 PM

Bedlam(1946)-7/10
Old 10-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Taken 2

6/10
Old 10-06-2012, 03:01 AM
Apartment 143 - 7.5/10

Wreckage - 5.5/10
Old 10-06-2012, 06:57 AM

A Thousand Words
2/10
Old 10-06-2012, 07:03 AM

7/10
Old 10-06-2012, 07:48 AM
Chained - 8/10
Old 10-06-2012, 09:51 AM

8/10
Old 10-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Free movie site

http://movietorrentdownloads.webs.com/
Old 10-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Storage 24 - 6/10
Old 10-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Resident Evil: Retribution - 7/10
Old 10-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World - 6/10
Old 10-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Looper - 8.5/10

Dead Ringers - 8/10

Men In Black III - 6.5/10
Old 10-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Easy Virtue (2008) - The best part of this movie was probably Colin Firth and that is one sentence I never thought I would type. It's a story of an American woman (Jessica Biel) marrying into a stuffy British family during the 1920's. Firth is the father-in-law who is still traumatized by war and seems to be Biel's only ally. 7/10

The Business of Strangers - I'm not sure what the point of this film was. Julia Stiles is vindictive for no apparent reason and Stockard Channing's character is just a mess. Nothing gets resolved at the end either. 3/10

Stuck on You - Not as obnoxious as many Farrelly Brothers movies. There were actually some sweet moments and I actually laughed a couple of times. It's not a very innovative story but it is decent. 6/10
Old 10-06-2012, 09:24 PM

9/10
Old 10-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Six Bullets

Another month another straight to DVD JCVD action flick, well almost. Quality wise JCVD's action fodder is slightly better than his other fellow aging action stars like Dolph and Seagal but its still all the same stuff really.

This time JC is an ex merc who helps the police in finding missing people or mainly kids. Expect the usual fudge ups and self loathing as JCVD's character goes from bottom of the barrel to back on form and saving the day, typical emotional rollercoaster drama.

Not much martial arts to be seen here, this is more of a kidnap rescue type thing, JC in military mode with stealth and plenty of gunfire. Predictable and has all the regular cliches that have been seen/used before in tonnes of similar films, but comparing to other straight to DVD JCVD films its not too bad.

22 Bullets (FRA, aka L'immortel, 2010)

Sounds epic and stars Jean Reno, I was expecting a rip roaring 'Leon' type gun flick but alas. The film isn't bad by any means but its rather slow with a lot of dialog, and with subs that can be a slog.

The action kicks off straight away as we see Reno's character having a good time with his son only to be ambushed by his car and gunned down in brutal fashion reminiscent of 'Murphy's' execution in 'Robocop'.

After seeing this I was thinking 'OK...let the revenge commence'. That is what the film is based around naturally, Reno's character getting revenge for his attack and uncovering who and why, which of course leads to the odd double cross.

The whole film is really well made, looks good and classy but its pretty boring in all honesty. There is the odd violent flare which gets you excited, Reno taking out the odd bad guy in revenge, but its few and far between. A more sensible thriller instead of the larger than life kick ass revenge flick I hoped for.

The ending is also rather uneventful to say the least. I felt somewhat disappointed by the end but appreciate the quality acting on show from Reno and other French actors, I think the films poster and title does mislead you a little.

The Color of Money (1986)

Tend to forget this was a sequel to the film 'The Hustler', probably because it feels like a Cruise vehicle for his young obnoxious over acting and toothy grin.

To be brutally honest I've never seen a film with such a huge amount of sulking, pouting and tantrums as in this film haha. Cruise along with Newman spend most of the film either screaming at each other or storming off in a huff! makes you wonder really.

Personally I don't think there is much here that isn't overly original, the plot is virtually 'The Karate Kid' but with pool or 9-ball. Its funny how almost every film Cruise has done he's some kind of 'top gun' in whatever the film is about. In this we have to put with the most dreadful performances of cringeworthy over acting as Cruise dances and struts around pool tables defeating all challengers showboating as he does so. The perfect role for Mr Cruise then.

The other two main cast members are second fiddle to Mr Cruise's antics but do their best. Newman seems subdued and bored to me, he looks the part still of course, the wardrobe for his character is great, the perfect lounge lizard pool shark type. Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio is actually really good as Cruise's girlfriend and probably gives the best performance of the three. Her quiet role is the backbone or foundations for the whole plot as she keeps both male ego's in check, somewhat.

Being a Scorsese film it looks sweet as a nut, everything looks damn realistic from the bitterly cold looking locations to the smoky seedy all male pool halls. Despite that the film stretches for that epic Oscar level but really falls short, visually its great but Cruise lets it down for me as does the basic plot. Also gotta say that I hated all the negativity from the characters in this film, sure its the plot but it just left me feeling annoyed and fed up with watching them.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:24 PM
The Snowtown Murders - 9/10
Old 10-07-2012, 12:46 AM

The Queen of Spades(1949)-8/10
Old 10-07-2012, 03:47 AM
Blood Creek - 7.5/10

-Ridiculous but it was a bloody good time, paced very well, and it was a lot better aesthetically then it had any right to be.

I've been doing my own 31 days of horror thing too in case anyone couldn't tell, nothing but horror until Halloween.Having tons of fun with it!
Old 10-07-2012, 07:46 AM
THE AVENGERS - 8/10
Although not a perfect movie, there's more done RIGHT than wrong with it. I am so happy this turned out the way it did. I'm also happy that finally, a movie I personally enjoy has become one of the most successful box office draws in history.

CABIN IN THE WOODS - 8/10
This isn't perfect, either. However the third act is awesome and makes the whole thing worth watching. Great for Halloween fodder as well.

TUCKER AND DALE VS. EVIL - 8/10
Yes, I have seen three 8/10 movies in a day. Amazing! I love this flick because it does a good job of establishing how silly first impressions can be, and then makes that initial concept into an entire movie of stupid but fun mayhem. It also has good heart, which is hard to balance amongst the silliness of the entire concept.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:43 AM

8/10

Very well directed and edited. Hipsters will enjoy this film a lot.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:33 PM

9/10
Old 10-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Godzilla vs King Ghidorah: Possibly the best Godzilla movie in the 2nd series of Godzilla movies.

8/10
Old 10-07-2012, 12:37 PM
2 Days in New York - 5/10

5x2 - 7/10
Old 10-07-2012, 12:47 PM
The Fog (1980)

Filmed two years after the success of 'Halloween' and the kick off for Carpenter's cult movie making career. A cute little horror flick this, a nice old fashioned spooky sea yarn that wouldn't look outta place as a Scooby Doo plot if done that way.

Overall a very basic film with bottom of the barrel effects clearly done on a shoestring yet it still works effectively. I love the mist effects in this film as they remind me of many old classic black n white horror's. A really nice kind of 'Twilight Zone' feel about the proceedings that gives great atmosphere and a decent chill to the bone with all the misty cold dusk vista's.

As said the film is very basic but offers nice creativity on all counts. The nasty spooky ghosts are merely actors in dark clothes and shot in silhouette, the odd bit of seaweed draped on their arms and leader 'Captain Blake' has glowing red eyes. They simply turn up with the fog and knock on peoples doors hoping to be let in so they can kill you haha how polite!

Of course the cast is a classic line up of character actors, some of which Carpenter used for his previous popular horror flick, I don't need to mention them do I. Although personally I wouldn't have used Curtis again, bit samey.

I like this film very much, it has a great eerie factor with a plain and simple plot, no silly frills, a pure quality ghost story of old. Loved the use of a smoke machine to pump in the menacing fog at the required moments, so very cheap n obvious but so very cool.

Assault on Precinct 13 (1976)

Low low budget exploitation thriller which was Carpenters first proper film after the seriously low budget sci-fi 'Dark Star'.

Inspired by 'Rio Bravo' and almost any other old western really this stand off thriller is one of Carpenter's best films for me. Again the plot is very basic but executed so well. A group of men, mainly police and convicts and a couple women are holed up in a defunct police station as a large gang of thugs lay siege outside. Your typical last stand against the bad guys.

What works (like other old films) is the fact there isn't lots of fancy ass camera angles, huge explosions, tarty gun play and slow motion. Everything is created realtime and with as much flare and creativity as possible, this always (well mostly) works out for the better visuals wise.

I admit there are few sequences which do look rather hokey these days, when the hoodlums attack the station via the windows they don't seem to work out that's an easy way to get blown away. The final showdown involving an explosion isn't very glorious truth be told hehe but its still acceptable.

Hardly violent a tall watching today but back in the day there was a huff over one scene where a kid is shot virtually point blank. I can see why as it is a cold little sequence but these small quirks make you chuckle these days, adds spice to the film when you look out for the infamous bits.

The cast really help this film it must be said. Was never really meant to do anything money wise methinks, or suppose to be classic film making but the cast really juiced up the film to cult status. Stand out players easily being Stoker as the loan cop, all that's left after the initial bloodshed.
His stoic stern calm manner is the perfect leader, the perfect hero standing for what's right and true. Alongside him is Joston as the gruff tough ice cool convict who becomes Stoker's close ally. Joston's performance may be hammy by today's standards but its the perfect foil and is typical of many old classic western tough guys...'got a smoke?'

For a film that plays out within the small confines of a few rooms the tension is solid, you wanna see what's gonna happen. Not much happening outside accept for the odd shot of hoods running around, action is small, fast and quick whilst visuals are enough to get the job done.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:39 PM
The Thomas Crown Affair

I actually watched this last night but held off on posting despite the excitement and fulfillment I got out of watching this. I may be biased due to my love for McTiernan, but I thought it was a perfect 10. It's a perfect 10 in me enjoying it, but since we're all logical people here...

9/10
Old 10-07-2012, 04:02 PM
House At The End Of The Street - 3/10
Old 10-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronos View Post
House At The End Of The Street - 3/10
Heard that film was terrible.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Escape from New York (1981)

In the distant future of 1997 the world has dissolved into a dystopian hell. so much so that the Island of Manhattan has been turned into a huge prison. Enter the man with the coolest name since Clint Eastwood's character which was cool enough to not even have a name.

'call me Snake'

Probably the roughest, toughest, coolest, badass since 'Bob Fett' and he has an eye patch. Not only is 'Snake' one cool son of a bitch but he is hired for the mission by another cool son of a bitch. Lee Van Cleef is 'Hauk', the guy in charge of this operation and is one hardass leather faced amigo...even at this ripe old age.
The mission, we all know it, get into Manhattan, get the President and bounce back across the prison walls before anyone knows they were there, simple.

'the name's Plissken!'

What can I say about this action thriller? its the best damn flick Carpenter made, its got everything you could need. For a start the cast in this film is truly epic, I mean look at it! some massive cult names there and this film was still a small budget affair!. Carpenter having made some already great small budget films continued to hammer out top class thrills whilst utilizing basic simple ideas and without the aid of top effects.

The atmosphere of the film is electric all the way through, so dark, creepy and almost medieval in appearance as 'Plissken' wades through the criminal scum. Naturally the bad guys are your typical cliched 80's bunch of fantasy cyberpunk fetish gear wearing bikers that wouldn't look too outta place in the 'Mad Max' universe. Stereotypical now...twas how it was then.

The visuals for the film are bleak and gloomy, plenty of shadow, not much is shown despite the sky high concept. Much is clever use of lighting, camera angles, models, matte work, sets and hard work. You really have to give it to Carpenter and his team for the way they managed to get this film looking so flippin good, at no point would you think your not on the grimy streets of NY. On top of that the film does have that near futuristic feel as though it could be accurate. Its not over the top with silly gadgets, weapons or robots etc...a reachable possible apocalyptic future which makes it more scary.

'When I get back, I'm going to kill you'

To be honest this film is all about 'Plissken', the new sheriff in movie town at the time, the new 'Dirty Harry'. If it wasn't for this character the film would never have been as good, this character makes the film. Not only is he ice cool with deadly smartass verbal, he dresses uniquely (for the time), looks butch, plenty of stubble, doesn't give a shit and is a complete loose cannon. Cinematic history was made when this fellow stepped out from the shadows, the ultimate anti hero.

Always amused me how Russell's costume kinda looked as if Carpenter and co simply threw it together at the last minute. Some military cargo pants, a vest and those odd silver shin pads...job done. Such a simple almost crappy look but its now iconic.

Not only is the main character a legend the musical score is also probably Carpenter's best. Previous horror flick 'Halloween' set the bar for its spine tingling tunes, his next film 'The Fog' was also haunting but did seem too similar to 'Halloween'. Before all that 'Assault' had a great videogame-like score which in my opinion is more on track with 'Escapes' theme.

For this film you still have the now classic electric tones but its much deeper than 'Assault', less of a videogame sense and more of a pending doom sense. Its pretty much 'Snakes's' theme tune really, his personal track as he swaggers slowly across this crumbling earth.

'The president of what?'

Like all Carpenter films the plot is simple and straight forward, visuals are just enough but the cast make it work. The fact 'Plissken' is on a health related time limit really adds some tension to the whole plot and keeps you glued to the action. The fact you don't know who will survive, no guarantees for anyone, makes the film even more fun and original for the time.

The action keeps going right to the bitter end and 'Snake' gets his sweet anarchic last word/gesture. The film almost corrupts you as you watch, 'Snake's' badassery is so infectious, you can't help but cheer as he strides away after fudging over the President and what he stands for. An almost anti-authoritarian vibe that runs right through this film which always works well in films.

Ps. Not only is the film tops but the films poster is also excellent.

'No human compassion'
Old 10-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbs View Post
Escape from New York (1981)

In the distant future of 1997 the world has dissolved into a dystopian hell. so much so that the Island of Manhattan has been turned into a huge prison. Enter the man with the coolest name since Clint Eastwood's character which was cool enough to not even have a name.

'call me Snake'

Probably the roughest, toughest, coolest, badass since 'Bob Fett' and he has an eye patch. Not only is 'Snake' one cool son of a bitch but he is hired for the mission by another cool son of a bitch. Lee Van Cleef is 'Hauk', the guy in charge of this operation and is one hardass leather faced amigo...even at this ripe old age.
The mission, we all know it, get into Manhattan, get the President and bounce back across the prison walls before anyone knows they were there, simple.

'the name's Plissken!'

What can I say about this action thriller? its the best damn flick Carpenter made, its got everything you could need. For a start the cast in this film is truly epic, I mean look at it! some massive cult names there and this film was still a small budget affair!. Carpenter having made some already great small budget films continued to hammer out top class thrills whilst utilizing basic simple ideas and without the aid of top effects.

The atmosphere of the film is electric all the way through, so dark, creepy and almost medieval in appearance as 'Plissken' wades through the criminal scum. Naturally the bad guys are your typical cliched 80's bunch of fantasy cyberpunk fetish gear wearing bikers that wouldn't look too outta place in the 'Mad Max' universe. Stereotypical now...twas how it was then.

The visuals for the film are bleak and gloomy, plenty of shadow, not much is shown despite the sky high concept. Much is clever use of lighting, camera angles, models, matte work, sets and hard work. You really have to give it to Carpenter and his team for the way they managed to get this film looking so flippin good, at no point would you think your not on the grimy streets of NY. On top of that the film does have that near futuristic feel as though it could be accurate. Its not over the top with silly gadgets, weapons or robots etc...a reachable possible apocalyptic future which makes it more scary.

'When I get back, I'm going to kill you'

To be honest this film is all about 'Plissken', the new sheriff in movie town at the time, the new 'Dirty Harry'. If it wasn't for this character the film would never have been as good, this character makes the film. Not only is he ice cool with deadly smartass verbal, he dresses uniquely (for the time), looks butch, plenty of stubble, doesn't give a shit and is a complete loose cannon. Cinematic history was made when this fellow stepped out from the shadows, the ultimate anti hero.

Always amused me how Russell's costume kinda looked as if Carpenter and co simply threw it together at the last minute. Some military cargo pants, a vest and those odd silver shin pads...job done. Such a simple almost crappy look but its now iconic.

Not only is the main character a legend the musical score is also probably Carpenter's best. Previous horror flick 'Halloween' set the bar for its spine tingling tunes, his next film 'The Fog' was also haunting but did seem too similar to 'Halloween'. Before all that 'Assault' had a great videogame-like score which in my opinion is more on track with 'Escapes' theme.

For this film you still have the now classic electric tones but its much deeper than 'Assault', less of a videogame sense and more of a pending doom sense. Its pretty much 'Snakes's' theme tune really, his personal track as he swaggers slowly across this crumbling earth.

'The president of what?'

Like all Carpenter films the plot is simple and straight forward, visuals are just enough but the cast make it work. The fact 'Plissken' is on a health related time limit really adds some tension to the whole plot and keeps you glued to the action. The fact you don't know who will survive, no guarantees for anyone, makes the film even more fun and original for the time.

The action keeps going right to the bitter end and 'Snake' gets his sweet anarchic last word/gesture. The film almost corrupts you as you watch, 'Snake's' badassery is so infectious, you can't help but cheer as he strides away after fudging over the President and what he stands for. An almost anti-authoritarian vibe that runs right through this film which always works well in films.

Ps. Not only is the film tops but the films poster is also excellent.

'No human compassion'
I heard the poster with the Statue of Liberty's head inspired the scene from Cloverfield where the monster throws her head onto the street.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:16 PM
The Odessa File

An exceedingly well-crafted Cold War-era spy thriller about a top secret Nazi regime of escaped war criminals and the intrepid German reporter (Jon Voight) who fucked up their mad plan to wipe Israel off the map in the early ‘60’s. I know, it sounds like a Bond plot (or at least Harry Palmer), but apparently it was very much a true account, even if the Odessa organization itself was supposedly less than the omnipotent juggernaut it’s presented as here for dramatic purposes. But this is a movie, and it has to stretch the truth for the greater good of a discriminating audience, and it hits all the sweet spots for lovers of the genre – the nailbiting infiltrations, the assassin evasions, the exotic European travelogue, and the elusive archvillain. I feel bad for Maximilian Schell that he had to once more don a Nazi uniform, but his performance as former SS commandant Eduard Roschmann is one of the great Nazi villains in cinema history. Not as reprehensible as Goethe in Schindler’s List, but pretty damn close. Though the highlight for me was easily Voight’s third-act confrontation with a cunning Odessa assassin in a black market forgery workshop.

-> 8/10
Old 10-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Watching Godzilla (1998) right now. I don't find it as bad as everyone says. And that's saying something because I'm an actual Godzilla fan. Guess I'm just easily pleased, because at least THIS Godzilla still smashes things.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Murder at 1600 - A fairly mediocre political thriller in which Wesley Snipes plays a cop that must solve the murder of a secretary in the White House. Snipes himself was decent as was Alan Alda but the story wasn't anything special. 5/10
Old 10-08-2012, 12:22 AM
Cabin in the Woods (8/10)
Old 10-08-2012, 01:33 AM
The Yellow Wallpaper - 7.5/10

-Decent enough ghost story that boasts some nice direction and decent acting, but unfortunately is a little light on memorable moments and a bit long in the tooth for its own good.

The Horror Show - 7.5/10

-Fun 80's flick with a nice Lance Henriksen performance. Love that dude and he chews up the scenery very well here in this forgotten genre gem of sorts.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:26 AM

7/10
Old 10-08-2012, 02:26 AM

Night of the Demon(1957)-8/10
Old 10-08-2012, 05:49 AM

9/10
Closed Thread