Old 12-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Lincoln - 6/10
Old 12-17-2012, 09:03 PM
Walk on the Wild Side with Laurence Harvey, Jane Fonda, and Capucine - A melodrama in which a drifter travels to New Orleans to find his lost love. There is quite a lot of talent in this movie but it didn't quite come together. There are some parts that I liked and others that fell a little short. It's hardly a bad film but it could have been better. 6/10

Looper - Joseph Gordon-Levitt is fantastic in this film which is hardly a surprise. The little kid was annoying but even he couldn't detract too much from this story. I had a lot of fun watching this. 8/10
Old 12-18-2012, 01:01 AM
Undercover Blues (1993)

Oh my this is pretty horrible, a really really typically bad lightweight 90's throw away comedy, if you can even call it that.

This film glides across so many other ideas and its so so very pointless it hurts. The two leads are actually really annoying and you just wanna see them get killed so much haha. Quaid and Turner being top undercover agents for the US that are dragged back into service on the promise of good pay, the hook being they take their young child with them everywhere, errr yeah! great!.

Cue lots and lots of lame, tame ridiculously bad looking fights with obvious doubles. Horrendous acting from everyone, a boring drab plot and a female baddie who is completely nonthreatening or even remotely interesting. The whole thing takes ques from Bond naturally and is set in the deep South of New Orleans but it just doesn't work.

The only reasonable part or performance goes to Tucci who plays an inept criminal trying to kill the heroes and going by the name of 'Muerte', which everyone mispronounces much to his frustration. This does garner some laughs, his girlish screams also amuse but that really is it.

OK fun for kids, stick them in front of this for the afternoon and they might enjoy. Not advisable for any adult to attempt the full running time, its utter dribble and a waste of your life.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:09 AM
Been watching some Christmas favorites

Old 12-18-2012, 07:49 AM

Almost Famous bootleg cut
8/10
Old 12-18-2012, 02:51 PM
West Side Story (Jerome Robbins & Robert Wise, 1961)

Taking in more culture from the 60s as part of a research project so obviously I started with looking at unseen classic films from the era. I loved this one. I always go into musicals aware that I'm not really a fan of them yet end up enjoying them immensely anyway. This has pretty much everything you can expect given its reputation, they handled the "make serious stuff PG" thing very well and the script is surprisingly relevant with its commentary on youth. The Sound of Music has big shoes to fill...
8/10

Cool Hand Luke (Stuart Rosenberg, 1967)

Another joyous classic with incredible work from a great ensemble. Paul Newman in particular delivers an absolute masterclass in screen acting, I was blown away throughout the film, particularly in that final talk with God.
8/10
Old 12-18-2012, 03:44 PM
The Adventures of Tintin (8/10)
This was never anything less than a great deal of fun, even if it got a bit excessive in the finale with the two cranes fighting each other. It was visually astounding throughout, as is to be expected from its producers. Definitely one of the best looking animated movies I've seen. Tintin himself was really likable too. He's never really that developed as a character, but there's just that charm to him that makes him an easy hero to root for. There was some darker stuff here than I was expecting too, which is always a nice surprise in a movie that looks made for families. Some of the action sequences had a healthy dose of violence, and the supporting character's rampant alcoholism and the message about that was excellently done. I'd love to see another film. Peter Jackson should've moved onto doing that instead of flushing Middle-Earth down the shitter with The Hobbit
Old 12-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Crazy, Stupid, Love - 8/10
Father's day - 5/10
House of flying daggers - 7/10
One day 9/10
Project x - 5/10
Old 12-18-2012, 08:47 PM
A Shriek in the Night with Ginger Rogers - A sort of comedy/detective film in which a couple of reporters try to solve a series of murders. The jokes will mostly fall flat with modern audiences but Rogers does a fine job in the film. 6/10

Safe House - I liked Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds as the two leads but most of the supporting cast isn't so great. The story doesn't offer much either. 5/10
Old 12-18-2012, 09:48 PM
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Meh. I enjoyed the performances but it's clearly too long, with a lot of the pre Rivendell scenes being irrelevant, and the previously beautifully shot middle earth is now cluttered up with CGI. Dunno if I can sit through another 6 hours of this.

5/10
Old 12-18-2012, 10:41 PM

V/H/S(2012)-7/10
Old 12-19-2012, 12:20 PM
The Amazing Spider-man - 8/10
Old 12-19-2012, 02:47 PM
Butter

With an opening exclamation that prophesies greed, blackmail, sex and butter, it should’ve been funnier than it was. It’s an ensemble in the vein of 2010’s sleeper Cedar Rapids, meaning a handful of character acting heavyweights thrown in with a handful of Daily Show alumni. And I just realized that one more comedy set in Iowa and we’ll have a trilogy box set on our hands. Anyway. Jennifer Garner plays Laura Pickler, an over the top overachiever that somehow combines the worst of Michele Bachmann with Tracy Flick from Election. Oh, and Hugh Jackman appears as a dumbass, sleazy car salesman, which was an easy highlight. His “prayers” were hilarious! Unfortunately, the story resolves itself a little too neatly in the third act, and the whole thing seemed a bit too cutesy for a comedy that isn’t afraid to throw around a “cunt” or two. The one revelation to come out of this was Yara Shahidi, who plays orphan butter carving prodigy Destiny. Smart, plucky, and with major star potential, the girl is one to watch. Her scene in the car with Corddry where she works up the courage to sign up for the carving contest was one of those flashes of greatness in a film that didn’t quite make it.

-> 6/10
Old 12-19-2012, 03:10 PM

10/10

9/10

7/10
Old 12-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Killing Them Softly - 6/10
Old 12-19-2012, 06:29 PM

7/10
Old 12-19-2012, 07:11 PM

8/10
Old 12-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Wings of Desire - Two angels watch over the city of Berlin. One falls in love with a trapeze artist and the other tries to stop a man from committing suicide. This a very deliberately paced film with little action but it is still entrancing to watch. 9/10

Mystery Team - Three naive high school students try to solve a double murder. There were a few funny spots but overall the humor was overdone. I did like Aubrey Plaza as the potential love interest though. 5/10
Old 12-19-2012, 08:36 PM
Homicide

Beautiful, rich, textured cinematography by Deakins along with Mamet's solid writing.

7/10
Old 12-20-2012, 12:19 AM

Take This Waltz(2012)-7/10
Old 12-20-2012, 12:59 AM
Battle Royale

8.5/10

this movie is insane from start to finish.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Silent Hill (2006)

This Japanese created horror came along after the hugely popular 'Resident Evil' both in terms of the game and the film. Where as the first Resi Evil was a more standard action fest that ran with a generic plot similar to 'Aliens', 'Silent Hill' is a completely different approach. That approach being the film makers actually based this film on the actual game.

That is the first thing you notice straight away, this film is an actual horror film and tries to recreate the tension from the eerie game. The visuals in this film are actually pretty good and the whole thing certainly does feel like a videogame in the sense of camera angles, lighting and general atmosphere.

I must admit to being very impressed with the whole look of the film. Its not watered down in any way, there's plenty of blood, the monsters are highly detailed and very creepy (Pyramid Head looking damn good I must say), the town is rendered really well, it chilling, very dark and brings the game to life in a truly surprising way. A cheap run of the mill straight to DVD film this is not...amazingly.

The plot is slightly disappointing in the sense that it kinda wanders. At first the film is a solid ghost story with demons, intrigue and imagery that you may see in many Japanese horrors ('The Ring' for one with all the little girl shots). Unfortunately later the story seems to gravitate towards more of a religious theme including cults and witch hunting which is a completely different horror genre really. That's not what you expect and it weakens the film as all the demons, monsters and mutilated bodies all turn out to be just incarnations from a young child's mind (I think).

The whole 'person getting revenge by using his/her anger manifested in monsters/creatures' isn't too original really but I do believe this feeds into the videogames story, or at least various ideas from all the games. The film isn't short on bad bits though, can't escape that I'm afraid. Casting Sean Bean as an American was not the best idea really, his attempt is brave but heavily flawed. The odd silly moment including when 'Rose' heads off down into the hospitals basement, the lift seems to drop about a hundred levels! how deep does this building go!?.

The other main issue I had was the rather weak ending, a big anti climax really with a tame CGI finale. Not scary and not particularly interesting because you don't feel the bad guys are getting a good drumming. I also didn't get the finale twist at the end where 'Rose' and 'Sharon' seem to have remained in this alternative realm or dimension? how and why?? are they maybe dead? what gives here?.

You must give kudos to Gans for what he has accomplished here. Who'd have thought an adaptation of a horror videogame, which isn't exactly too far from the Capcom equivalent, would actually turn out to be a stable accurate conversion. The films survives on visuals and design of course, performances aren't that great and the story limps to a conclusion but it still manages to give you shivers whilst you watch.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:33 PM

The Guilt Trip(2012)-6/10
Old 12-20-2012, 06:57 PM
The Man I Love with Ida Lupino - A lounge singer falls in love with a pianist but her boss doesn't want to let her go. A pretty typical love triangle of the era but Lupino is pretty great in this. 6/10

Dark Shadows - This was just a mess. The story was complete crap and the effects were ridiculous. The only reason I watched the whole thing is because it's been so long since Michelle Pfeiffer has had any kind of substantial role. 3/10
Old 12-20-2012, 07:45 PM
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

A noticeably lighter jaunt through Middle Earth than Jackson’s previous trilogy, making it a lot more fun to watch when it wasn’t bogged down in ominous exposition or drowned in a cascade of Liv Tyler's elvish tears. It’s hard to see why this had to be blown up into a trilogy, though, when the Hobbit book wasn’t even as big as the shortest LOTR volume. The weakest portions that drag the film down are those bits that serve solely to bridge this to LOTR, such as the White Council scene, which seemed to drag on interminably. And don’t think the flashbacks didn’t help to pad things up (Bilbo’s narration of Smaug’s destruction of Erebor was awesome, however). But now that I’m done bitching, the dwarves were a lot more fun to hang out with than Frodo's somber fellowship, as was Martin Freeman as Bilbo, who brought a charisma and comic energy to the role that Elijah Wood just never had (and rightly shouldn’t, I guess, since this is clearly a different film). Richard Armitage’s performance as the badass dwarf prince Thorin (my favorite character from the book) was everything I hoped it would be, and Andy Serkis as the returning Gollum was phenomenal. The “Riddles In The Dark” scene should be an Oscar contender for him, but it’s sad that he won’t be recognized. It really was the best work he’s done as the character, so good that I was legitimately heartbroken for the pathetic little fuck. His reaction when he realizes his precioussss is gone forever hit me, man. Like, right in the feelings, man! But if there’s one silver lining to an unnecessarily extended version of The Hobbit, it’s that Jackson has the opportunity to develop the individual dwarves a little more going forward, which I welcome. As it stands, they make for a fun group to hang with, not so much individual characters to root for.

-> 7/10
Old 12-21-2012, 04:09 AM
The Master (10/10)
Old 12-21-2012, 11:44 AM

6/10
Old 12-21-2012, 01:57 PM

8/10
Old 12-21-2012, 03:18 PM

6/10

Angelina Jolie looked hot back in the day. Check also Hackers.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:41 PM

7/10
Old 12-21-2012, 05:18 PM

Jack Reacher(2012)-8/10
Old 12-21-2012, 05:32 PM

7/10
Old 12-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Live! - Eva Mendes is an executive trying to get a reality show greenlit that is based on Russian Roulette. I didn't really like the home movie camera method of filming it. Other than that the story was a little thin. Mendes looked awesome though. 4/10

The Boondock Saints - This seemed like just another vigilante movie to me. The question of whether the two brothers were doing good or evil wasn't terribly thought provoking either - this was just an excuse to show some violence. 4/10
Old 12-21-2012, 06:44 PM

The Mercenary 8/10
Old 12-21-2012, 07:03 PM

8/10
Old 12-22-2012, 12:17 AM

Killer Joe(2012)-7/10
Old 12-22-2012, 01:54 AM
The Condemned (2007)

Well what have we here, an early 'Expendables' type fighter? a 'Battle Royale' copy? or maybe just a 'Running Man' type thriller? well all this and many more films gone before.

The plot...a group of the most violent criminals are hand picked and dumped on a remote island. Each has a small bomb attached to their ankle which will detonate after a certain time limit. They have nothing but their skills to survive and the odd package dropped from a chopper. Only one can be left standing before the time runs out and that last man wins his freedom, FIGHT!!!.

So yes I think we have all seen this before, the general idea, and one can assume it will pretty much be like all the rest. It is a bit like a cheaper, low key, grittier 'Expendables' but with guys that aren't overly famous but a good selection of character hardmen and fighters of you will. Vinnie Jones, Nathan Jones and Austin are the bigger names here whilst other criminals are made up of really well built blokes and some good fighters like Masa Yamaguchi. Of course the plot isn't like the Sly vehicle but it is a nice ensemble of hardasses.

The whole film plays out like one setup after another, one fight, a bit of plot, then another fight etc...The fights vary from pretty cool to nothing much but its all very violent and bloody, not for the PG crowd that's for sure. All the characters have your standard backgrounds, the hero Austin is of course ex-Delta Force whilst Vinnie is ex-SAS gone bad, bog standard military guff really. All the while its watched by the internet crew and their boss who set it all up for profit and morbid kicks...tut tut so naughty.

It does work well really, can't lie, its good fun to watch but obviously stupid. Would they really include women? surely that would be rather unfair. The violence in some parts is quite close to bone really, Vinnie and his partner rape a women to death then find her husband (also a criminal) and burn him to death after beating him half to death!! so yeah bit sick.

You could say its even like 'Call of Duty' or any FPS, but with bloody murder and fights instead of gun runnin'. When the odd help package is dropped into the 'game' it does feel like a videogame of sorts.

Its certainly balls to the wall with guts n headbutts and the perfect action vehicle. Nothing original and no real surprises other than Vinnie being really quite evil, but its undeniably fun despite Austin being a plank and the ending being a big anti climax for the two main guys.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:13 AM
Premium Rush

Incredibly fun and refreshing.

7/10
Old 12-22-2012, 05:26 AM
James and the Giant Peach
The Borrowers

Both were brilliant
Old 12-22-2012, 05:46 AM
first time viewing just finished

7/10
Closed Thread