Old 12-29-2012, 10:10 PM
The Sweeney - Ray Winstone was really good as the lead in this police drama. Damian Lewis also had a good supporting performance. The story wasn't terribly original though. 6/10

Upside Down - Jim Sturgess and Kirsten Dunst were both quite good in this romance/fantasy film. The science was obviously complete bullshit but if you can get beyond that and accept the rules the film presents than it really is a nice love story. 8/10
Old 12-29-2012, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
Cloud Atlas

Old 12-30-2012, 02:55 AM
Yeah, yeah I "get it". I just don't "like" it.

LIFE OF PI - 10/10

Second viewing. Still moved me. The person I was with seemed to be crying a bit at the end. Awesome! It just means that she was emotionally affected even a little bit. I was afraid she'd hate it and I'd be stuck loving this movie by myself lol
Old 12-30-2012, 09:37 AM
Django Unchained 8/10
The Lorax 7/10
Burn After Reading (rewatch) 7/10
Old 12-30-2012, 09:51 AM
Watched a new film I got for Christmas, Code Name: Geronimo and really enjoyed it.

A fantastic war film about the hunt for Bin Laden with a great cast too! A very strong 7/10

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	code-name-geronimo-uk-dvd-3d.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	11122  
Old 12-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure (1984)

So back in 84 if you had seen Lucas and some Ewoks running around the redwood forests in California you could of been mistaken for thinking another Star Wars epic was on the way. No matter how badly we 80's kids prayed that was unfortunately not true, but we did get a semi decent Star Wars based adventure.

Set in between 'Empire' and 'Jedi' this film gives us a little more insight into the forest moon of the gas giant Endor. We see more native creatures, more of the moon and of course more Ewok culture. Now back in the day this film was actually regarded pretty highly, mainly because we had NOTHING else film wise based around Star Wars.

Upon a re watch the film still does hold its own very well. Lucas was in charge for both of these Ewok films and to be honest he did a fair job. The film is completely for kids obviously utilizing little human kids and good old 'Wicket' so you can't moan at the utter campy naffness there is. Acting is dubious and dialog is very basic, but you gotta give credit to Lucas for making a lot of the film in native Ewok tongue and having a narrator tell us the audience what the the hell going on. Almost like 'Dances with Wolves' for Star Wars hehe...I said almost.

So the rather annoying surly 'Mace' and his totally babyish blonde barbie doll little sister head off to rescue their parents from the 'Gorax'. A creature I have found out has been worked into the official Star Wars universe and is cannon, kinda cool. Along the way the team of kiddies and Ewoks run into other species that are of course nasty and generally have to work together to succeed. There are some nice creatures here, basic puppets, animation or stop motion, but its fine, kinda charming much like the old Harryhausen flicks and other old barbarian fantasy films. The film has that warm 80's 'Willow' type atmosphere, a sense of wonder and imagination that is absolutely great for young kids.

The main bad guy in the film is the 'Gorax' which is a man in a suit get up. The makeup is pretty good on this character and his whole look does fit with the 'wookie' species approach for the Endor moon. In general effects aren't overly great these days (of course), the giant spider in the 'Gorax' lair is brilliantly bad and the final fatal moment for the 'Gorax' also looks really hokey, but hey this ain't no mega budget film. Some nice good old fashioned matte painting work evident too.

Yes its childish and corny, yes some locations on Endor's moon looks suspiciously like California, yes the two main human kid characters are completely generic looking with 'Mace' obviously looking like a young 'Luke', but its still fun. Lucas did a good job here in my opinion, the film is perfect for its target audience and fun for everyone else too...if you like Star Wars. Supposedly cannon within the Star Wars universe also which is interesting.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Bully (2011) - 8/10
Old 12-30-2012, 04:04 PM

Old 12-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Hucksta G View Post
Me too.

I certainly can't fault this for being ambitious and hugely creative, even when it doesn't always work and occasionally comes off a bit corny (Hugo Weaving as the Nurse..). It reminded me of Southland Tales in that way, a very polarising film that I personally enjoyed, one of the reasons being is that there were just so many ideas bursting off the screen and it was exciting to watch. Atlas is very similar. The final thirty minutes were actually pretty emotional IMO. Doona Bae's storyline was my favourite.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:25 PM

So an episode of the Twilight Zone and a fairly conventional Hollywood thriller walk into a bar… and writer Toby Emmerich kidnaps them and forces them to work together in the pages of his new screenplay. Or something like that. The final act is a nutty jumble of conflicting paradoxes that I’m still not sure adds up to a sensible sequence of events (even as far as time travel stories go), but it’s beyond the point – this was a solid, enjoyable, well-written family drama about father and son bonding, masquerading as a sci-fi gimmick. But it’s a gimmick that works for the story to bring these two characters together through time, and while the latter half of the film involving the hunt for a serial killer is clearly the Hollywood thriller pushing its way into the scene, the emotional connection between Quaid and Caviezel is strong enough to withstand some of the film’s lesser genre trappings. This is all not to mention the terrible makeup effects to age the characters. Think, the actors looking like they normally do… but with clay on their face. Yeah. Bad.

-> 8/10
Old 12-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by urbanlegend23 View Post
Me too.

I certainly can't fault this for being ambitious and hugely creative, even when it doesn't always work and occasionally comes off a bit corny.The final thirty minutes were actually pretty emotional IMO.
Yep my feelings exactly.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:01 PM

Old 12-31-2012, 02:41 AM
What i saw in the past days since i was here.

Django Unchained: 10/10 My second fave movie of the year, Tarantino has done it again and has done a unique kind of western.

The Hobbit: for the 4th time 10/10 My favorite movie of the year, being a fantasy/Tolkein fan i was pleased with this new adaptation of the novel and can't wait for the next one.

Die Hard 1 & 2 on blu-ray: 10/10 and 9/10 both great movies i watch every Christmas eve and i remembered seeing both in theaters as a kid as they blew me away and became holiday viewing movies while part 3 is a summer/spring movie.

Scrooged: 9/10 one of my favorite holiday comedies ever, loved it since i was 7 when i saw it 3 times in theaters and been a fave since.

Jack Reacher: 8/10 solid action movie, very well done.

Christmas Story on blu-ray: 10/10 a timeless classic for the holidays.

Christmas Vacation on blu-ray: 10/10 still popular after all these years, a great holiday comedy i loved since seeing it 4 times in theaters and been a fave of mine.

The Dark Crystal on blu-ray: 10/10 One of my all time favorite movies since i was 4 looks and sounds sharp on high def and nice extras too, Jim Henson's masterpiece no doubt, too bad Labyrinth is more popular than this as this deserves a bigger cult following. Don't get me wrong i like Labyrinth but i still believe TDC is a much better movie. I miss movies with this kind of imagination and storytelling.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:46 PM
Panic in the Year Zero - A sort of minimalist post apocalyptic film with Ray Milland giving a fine performance as the father trying to protect his family at all costs. The film does present a pretty bleak outlook on human nature but the film was well made with just the right amount of tension throughout. 7/10

Sweet Smell of Success - Burt Lancaster is fantastic as the newspaper columnist who tries to use his influence to break up his sister and a musician. This is my favorite performance from Lancaster. There is a wonderful noirish feel to this film. The sister isn't so great but Tony Curtis is as the sniveling press agent trying to get back into Lancaster's good graces. 9/10
Old 01-01-2013, 05:47 AM
The Devil's Carnival - 8/10
Jack Reacher - 6/10
The Impossible - 6/10
Who's Harry Crumb - 6/10

Last edited by Cronos; 01-01-2013 at 09:29 AM..
Old 01-01-2013, 06:15 AM

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 4/10

If you think the LotR is about a bunch of walking, then you'll feel pretty much the same with THE HOBBIT.

I could give or take the 48fs thing. It wasn't distracting like frame interpolation on TVs which looks like shit. It was alright.

Life of Pi - 10/10

Yeah, it's my third time seeing it in a week. In 3d this time, 'cause I figured "hell, why not?"
Old 01-01-2013, 06:55 AM
First movie of 2013 is a re-watch:

Gladiator - ****

I know a lot of people probably think Joaquin Phoenix's best performance was in The Master this year, but not me. Re-watching this movie reminds me that THIS is still his best performance IMO. He's just great. He and Crowe both deserved their Oscar nominations (and win in Crowe's case) but Connie Nielsen is equally great and should have joined them in getting nominated. And man, this is such a gorgeous looking movie. This really is one of my favorite movies. I love it more and more every time I re-watch it.

Jack Reacher - ***

Cool murder mystery. Gripping from beginning to end. Tom Cruise is in solid form.

Last edited by ilovemovies; 01-01-2013 at 07:45 AM..
Old 01-01-2013, 07:41 AM
House of Games (1987)

Enjoyable, but did not like how unattractive the lead actress was.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:45 PM
first time of 2013

Old 01-01-2013, 02:22 PM
Beyond The Black Rainbow - 6/10
Great visuals but otherwise very disappointing.
The Man With The Iron Fists - 3/10
Utterly retarded.

Last edited by Cronos; 01-01-2013 at 03:40 PM..
Old 01-01-2013, 03:15 PM

Old 01-01-2013, 04:00 PM
End of Watch (7/10)
Midnight Express (8/10)
Old 01-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Cat On a Hot Tin Roof - Paul Newman and Elizabeth Taylor are on top of their games here. A fantastic adaptation of the Tennessee Williams classic. 10/10

Savages - The film was pretty long and meandering but there were some bright spots. Benicio del Toro was one mean son a bitch in this. 5/10
Old 01-02-2013, 12:52 AM

Safety Not Guaranteed(2012)-7/10
Old 01-02-2013, 01:38 AM
Ewoks: The Battle for Endor (1985)

'Mace' and 'Cindel' return for the follow up story to their predicament. 'Cindel's' family don't get too far into the film which leaves us with the helpless princess and her best Ewok friend 'Wicket'. This time the duo must save their other Ewok friends and battle against 'Terak', a nasty pirate marauder and his rather band of dumb henchmen. Along the way they are helped by a kind but grumpy old man played by the legendary Wilford Brimley.

The whole plot is virtually the same as before really, some characters are taken prisoner, so its up to a small band of other good guys to save them. Naturally its still a full on kids film so its very comical, silly and a bit camp at times but that's to be expected. Acting again is pretty ropey but Brimley has a good go adding some flavour.

Much the same deal as the first Ewok adventure only this is slightly better methinks. The bad guys are a silly bunch but they certainly look the part and fit into the Star Wars universe perfectly. If you think along the lines of the 'Weequay' race that are seen in 'Return of the Jedi' and then just add the CGI animated 'Clone Wars' series characters lead by 'Hondo' for an idea of lots of them in a gang.

Effects are still sketchy but this is an old film, heavy use of stop motion animation which is really jerky but again it adds to the charm just like the first film. Gotta admit I loved the large dinosaur-like 'Blurrgs', a simple yet effective design which is pure Star Wars ('Willow' pinched the concept I reckon), even more so with the classic stop motion animation.

The whole look of the film is actually quite good and better than the first if you ask me. It still looks a bit cheap and basic but 'Terak's' fortress is nicely done and the forest moon of Endor looks less like California hehe. Costumes and makeup for the 'Sanyassans' are nice too, nothing original but they do the job, 'Terak' the leader looks the best of course, even has white balding hair which actually gives him a good sense of depth and history.

The witch/sorcerer character of 'Charal' seems rather pointless frankly as she does nothing accept turn into a crow, or raven? I dunno. Much more magic and sorcery in this adventure but still a quirky fun deeper look into the world of the Ewoks and their home. Overall a closer feel to the Star Wars universe for me and slightly more exciting but only just. A film aimed at kids which is extremely tame and admittedly the only reason it gets away with it is because its Star Wars.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:44 AM
Fly Me to the Moon

Really lighthearted French romantic comedy. Diane Kruger is both delicious and awesome in this.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:14 AM

Director Garry Marshall uses every sitcom cliche he has thought up over the past 40 plus years in this terrible,boring,mind numbing movie.2 hours feels like an eternity.Why did they make this drivel?? The only thing good about it was the out takes at the end.
Scale of 1-10 a 1
Old 01-02-2013, 06:19 PM

Not the best of the Hammer horror films but the lead actress makes this film watchable.

Great and cheesy 80's action film with the one and only Gary Busey.

My pick for best sci-fi movie of 2012 even if it was slow paced.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Watch on the Rhine with Bette Davis and Paul Lukas - A family of anti-fascists escape to America only to be discovered by a German agent living among the houseguests in the family home. This is a pretty powerful film with important messages but something was off. Part of it was some of the supporting actors and I also didn't really like the way the film ended with little conclusion to the family's plight. 6/10
Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 PM

Joseph Kahn, music video director and film director of the seminal film Torque, has created a speedball movie of the 90s and 2000s generation, throwing out references galore of the clothing, pop culture, and general mindset of what those darn kids were doing those days. But, Kahn decides to melds these themes with just about everything in the cinematic genre phone book, from horror to comedy. A complete hodgepodge of ideas that help and hinder the film, Detention is a film that can be entertaining, but overwhelming ideas can be exhausting in places.

There’s heart and meaning in Kahn’s film, with stylistic directing choices behind the camera and editing that would make film director Edgar Wright proud. But, that love Kahn tries to exude feels like something that the director read on his screenplay, without any rhyme or reason if the average viewer will lap up the complete insanity that Kahn brings onto the big screen. The premise is simple, a masked killer, based on a well-known horror film in the film’s universe, goes after a group of those crazy high school students, but Kahn wants to go deeper than that. He’s more interested in evoking the attention-deficit world that has come under siege in these past years.

What results is a plethora of cast members snug deeply in their stereotypical roles, spewing out Diablo Cody-type dialogue, all the wild moving the plot to completely random and out-of-whack situations. Did you want a Freaky Friday, The Fly, and Back to the Future homage all on your movie pizza? Well, Kahn is more than happy to supply that need for his audience. It’s impressive how off the road Kahn wants to take this slasher/high school comedy/satire that he forgets that sometimes there should be some semblance of control to the madness.

There’s a point to this film where viewers will either find this invigorating or simply obnoxious. This isn’t a film where an audience as a whole will pick up and run with, much like another film that has the same aesthetic, Edgar Wright’s Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World. But, while Edgar’s Scott Pilgrim had a more focused narrative, mixed with some visual and editing choices that can be deemed as obnoxious, Kahn just takes that type of aesthetic and also keeps it at eleven, when a tone down to seven or eight won’t be the end of the world.

But, this is the world that Kahn wanted to bring to the film, and it’s certainly something new and interesting. The cast members are all game with their characters, with Shanley Caswell as the “woe is me” female lead, Josh Hutchinson as the hip, music-inclined teen, and Spencer Locke as the bitchy popular teenager. Even Dane Cook pops up as the always pissed off principal. They throw the witty dialogue from their own defined personalities effortlessly, never making the sometimes-obnoxious dialogue make their characters less than what they represent.

In conclusion, Detention is a film that is unexpected, insane, and very strangely watchable. There are points where the ideas that Kahn makes becomes a bit off the mark and repetitive with what the story is going for, but Kahn is so busy to go to the next outlandish scenario in the film that the ride switches gears right when it becomes a bit bumpy. A film that’s all over the place in a good (and sometimes bad) way, and it feels quite happy to take that sentiment.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:06 AM

The Deep Blue Sea(2012)-6/10
Old 01-03-2013, 02:36 AM
Live and Let Die (5/10)
Old 01-03-2013, 04:39 AM

Old 01-03-2013, 03:28 PM
8 1/2 (7/10)
Old 01-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Django Unchained - 10/10
Les Miserables - 7/10
Beasts of the Southern Wild - 8/10
Ted - 8/10
Reservoir Dogs - 10/10
Looper - 9/10
Boyz n the Hood - 10/10
Searching for Sugar Man - 8/10
Come and See - 10/10
Old 01-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Astérix & Obélix : Mission Cléopatre (2002)

Classic comic books from my youth who were ackwardly adapted into motion pictures. Out of the trilogy , this is easily the best and most faithful to the original story.
Monica Bellucci nails it as Cleopatra

oh yeah ! btw buttcrack robe ftw

Old 01-03-2013, 04:25 PM

Lewis is the only saving grace within this borefest.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:45 PM

Parental Guidance(2012)-5/10
Old 01-03-2013, 04:59 PM

Still digesting everything but a great movie that uses an old method of telling a story (found footage) that was worth telling for the guys in blue who risk their lives.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:40 PM

Dragon Lord 5/10
Closed Thread