Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Old 01-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Two Weeks in another Town with Kirk Douglas - Douglas is an actor who has hit rock bottom but is offered a movie role and a chance to get his life back on track. I loved the relationship between Douglas and Edward G. Robinson. There are some parts of the film that were too over the top but overall I liked it. 7/10

The Bat with Vincent Price - A minor mystery film in which a killer is on the loose in a small town. The reveal at the end on the identity of the killer wasn't too surprising but Price did a solid job as the doctor. 5/10
Old 01-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Django Unchained

Tarantino’s ultimate exploitation spaghetti western slave drama epic revenge fantasy and whatever the fuck else you want to call it. After all that, I’m content to just call it genius. I watched it, came home exhausted from the experience, thought it wasn’t quite up to par with Inglourious Basterds, prepared to say so in here, went to sleep on it to digest a bit more, woke up and finally realized what an out and out masterpiece of cinema this really was, and perhaps a notch above Basterds on Tarantino’s decade of exploitative greatness. The more I think about it, the more floored I am, actually. It was everything I love about going to the movies. I was emotionally invested in Django’s journey from beginning to blood-splashed end, where the writing was every bit as sharp as anything that’s come before and the performances were flawless. You could tell that Tarantino realized what a fan favorite the Landa character from Basterds could be if you stripped away the innocent Jew-killing, since Christoph Waltz essentially plays the same affable guy who you don’t have to feel guilty about liking anymore. It’s a catharsis, in its own way, and I’d like to thank Quentin for that. In the final analysis, I think this will earn a place next to Pulp Fiction at the very top of the Tarantino list. It’s usually hard enough to determine favorite to least favorite, so it just got a fuck of a lot easier. And on a final note, while Foxx, Waltz and DiCaprio have been getting most of the attention, I feel it my duty to shine a spotlight on Samuel L. Jackson as Candie’s crotchety old house slave Stephen, who stole every scene he was in, as far as the audience I was with was concerned. As for worst performance? Quentin Tarantino. As an Aussie mercenary. No. Just… no. Quent, what the fuck were you thinkin’, man? Come on.

-> 10/10
Old 01-03-2013, 10:57 PM
Private Practices: The Story of a Sex Surrogate

Fascinating documentary, a bit short but a topic that gets less attention in the modern day world. I found out about this documentary through reading about the new film with John Hawkes The Sessions about a man who's unable to use his body yet wanted to experience what sex was all about. And the only way he could do it, is through a hired sex surrogate; a profession I didn't even know existed.

This documentary is truly eye opening too. It tackles issues of people (men mostly) who have sexual dysfunctions; both psychological, and physical - and the lack of sexual intimacy those men get/got throughout their lives out of these issues. This sucked me in, and especially for the time in which it was made, it's all the more fascinating. It is a bit short. I would have loved to find out more about the sex surrogate and what made her tick - but there is a theme to this and it's pretty serious.

What's in a way, funny is the coincidence of how Attenberg is closely related to that documentary I just described. It's the second film of the Greek new wave movement that someguy hooked me up with (first being Dogtooth) and I agree with his review in that the kind of minimalist aesthetic did wonders for Dogtooth - it still works here, albeit not as effectively. I truly loved how the camera was just there to tell you the story and not get in the way of performances or show you anything fancy. I think that was also why MMMM worked so well too - it's the minimalist approach to shooting the film and letting the events unfold with the least cinematic engineering. I understood the quirky moments between Marina and Bella, though I personally didn't much care for those weird, off-beat moments of them walking and doing weird things, doesn't mean those moments didn't add to the characterization though. I enjoyed this. There's that human element in the film a midst the minimalist approach to the storytelling.

Last edited by Digifruitella; 01-03-2013 at 11:00 PM..
Old 01-04-2013, 02:10 AM
The Man with the Iron Fists

Do you like homages to the old cheesy classic martial arts films of the 70/80's? lots of frenzied fighting with bones snapping and blades swishing? did you like 'Kill Bill'? then this might be for you. Presented by the man himself Quentin Tarantino you might be thinking this will be ultra cool, well you would be wrong, unless of course you love this kinda stuff.

Quite simply this is another modern day homage to all those old Bruce Lee type kung fu movies (various classic scenes copied in this film), not just his movies but lots of various classic martial arts action flicks. The plot is your typical cliched revenge/fighting clans idea with huge amounts of overblown, ridiculously gory violence, bad hyper looking martial arts fight sequences, lots of bad extreme looking wire work, silly weaponry, silly looking characters with silly names and its all created in that retro 70's style.

Of course I can't rip on the film too much as you know what your getting into when you see the film. There is no beating around the bush or hiding from what this film is going for, it does exactly what it says on the tin and this is delivering super sonic bad assery.

My issue is the film isn't really a very good homage/film nor is the bad assery...errr bad ass. The whole thing looks pretty shabby frankly, there is no originality here and nothing particularly interesting as we've seen this type of thing all before. I don't really see why this went ahead, the whole thing is so corny and predictable, yes I know its suppose to be but I don't see that as an excuse.

The director gave himself the leading role for flips sake despite the fact he can't act or narrate dialog a tall. The rest of the cast and their acting is dreadful (not that I expected anything award winning) accept for Crowe who roars away as he does, dunno why he agreed to be in this though. His knife gun weapon thing looks completely out of place amongst all the ninja-like warfare going on around him.

There is this whole uneasy balance of real time action and fantasy which I didn't really like and I don't think it works. I realize Eastern films enjoy this stuff and it can add to the visuals but you never saw Lee resorting to shit like that. All the crazy ass wire work with people flying around doing super human things and then there's the big muscly guy who's skin turns into metal when attacked...huh?. So how come he has tattoo's...ah who cares.

It all looks bright and dynamic with good sets and they have recreated the retro look well, credits included. A kind of love child spawning from 'Kill Bill' and 'Big Trouble in Little China', yet so violent and claret heavy it becomes more of a spoof lacking any real tension. Thing is the action doesn't even look that good, more cheap n tacky, at least 'Kill Bill' was super slick, hell one of the films main characters turns into 'Jax' outta 'Mortal Kombat' for pete's sake! and that's the main plot!. It also begs the question...if your forearms were made out of iron surely they would be too heavy to move? very slow going, and why would that enable you to punch through walls and other metal objects?.

Its hard to review films like this really, its a homage to a certain genre which is suppose to be cheesy and kinda tacky looking. You can't take it seriously because of course its not meant to be taken seriously, on the other hand it is semi serious with its action and plot. I just wish they had cut down on the awful wire work and lost the character with metal skin, that guy really unbalances the whole thing. The fantasy doesn't really bond with the semi serious mega violence in my opinion, its just an awkward cocktail.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:13 AM

Old 01-04-2013, 05:51 AM
Life of Pi (8/10)
Old 01-04-2013, 10:06 AM
North By Northwest - 5/5

Last edited by TheBlackCostume; 01-11-2013 at 05:04 PM..
Old 01-04-2013, 12:15 PM

The Social Studies classes that we’ve have taken throughout our teenage lives have always brought the big moments in history in a concise and annotated manner. Who was the 16th President Abraham Lincoln? For some people, the answer was that he was the president who freed the slaves with the passing of thirteenth amendment during the height of the American Civil War. That’s pretty much the basis of what some students can gather from in their Social Studies lesson in the past, but director Steven Spielberg wants to live through the details in his latest look at the 16th president, Lincoln. But, rather than do a typical biography of the man’s life throughout the years, Spielberg focuses on the man when the fate of the United States was on his world shoulders, trying to end the Civil War while also putting an end to slavery.

There are some keen identifiers to what a Spielberg can bring to his cinematic audience, such as overtly saccharine moments that feel a bit eye rolling in regards to some of his previous films. But there is a ton of restraint in his look at Lincoln years during the Civil War. He’s more apt to give the hardships and difficulties that president Lincoln had to face when dealing with the 13th amendment. While Lincoln has the mythic appearance of being this tall, foreboding president that never stood down to his beliefs, Spielberg opts for a more human aspect to what made the president work. He’s more personable to his cabinet members and the people around him, always willing to tell a story to reinforce the point that he’s trying to tell the audience surrounding him. Apart from one or to brief scenes that show Lincoln when he’s making his speech to the public, the film feels more apt to making the film about “Lincoln: The Person”, while every now and then show “Lincoln: The President”.

This is, in part, due to Daniel Day Lewis’s magnificent performance as Lincoln. Never once do you see Lewis playing Abraham Lincoln, just the character on screen. He brings such a nuanced, warm, and overwhelmed performance as the president with, literally and figuratively, the world on his shoulders. He brings the character of Lincoln as mostly a man who hold back the difficulties and struggles that he’s currently faces, and instead tries to bring warmth and comfort to the people that begin to doubt him. But, it’s when Lewis brings forth Lincoln’s stand as a domineering and angry force that you know that, while Lincoln comes across as humble for the majority of the film, he still has moments of weakness that wears away his stoic, warm hearted façade.

But, while Lewis is rightfully excellent, the rest of the ensemble in Lincoln is more than up to the task to work right along side Lewis. The highlight being Tommy Lee Jones as Thaddeus Stevens, a radical whose mind set is always toward the complete abolishment of slavery. Jones’s Stevens could be considered the beating moral heart in Lincoln, as he portrays a man who will not relinquish or taint his personal views on slavery, not matter if what he says makes him a mockery to the House of Representatives. Jones lives for these crotchety roles that he seems so excellent at portraying, and this is one that he simply knocks out of the park.

The rest of the cast ensemble, from Sally Field as Lincoln’s wife Mary Todd to a hilarious James Spader as political operative W.N. Bilbo, are pretty much uniformly excellent with what they are given from Spielberg. Well-known actors are given minor roles that they completely chew into, even if certain moments don’t pack the emotional punch that Spielberg anticipated. There are some well-directed scenes in this film, with Spielberg never trying to make the film as epic as a film of this caliber should appear to be, always allowing the characters add to the weight of the nicely done set pieces of the film.

But, there comes a point, especially near the end of the film, where the ball kind of gets dropped in regards to the conclusion of the film. One moment has the perfect ending, but there seems to be this need to continue going with the film that pretty much lacks the emotional punch that Spielberg thinks would work. If anything, the film comes across as rushed with these scenes in the end, never feeling as cohesive as most of the film appeared to be.

But, other than that slight misstep, Lincoln is still an amazing character piece on a president that helped changed the political landscape regarding the moral need, however the consequences, of having all men created equal in the eyes of the government. This is certainly a movie that middle and high school teachers should happily play in front of their students in order to gave a more layered account that a more annotated social studies textbook would probably leave out.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:49 PM

Old 01-04-2013, 02:44 PM
This Is 40 - 8/10
Old 01-04-2013, 03:15 PM

Great movie, fantastic performances by Gosling and Williams but fuck it was depressing. 9/10

Second viewing, I liked it even more. It is for sure in my top 5 of the year. 9/10

This one was little slow but it had very good perfromances from Michelle Williams, Seth Rogen, Luke Evans, and (surprisingly) Sarah Silverman. 7/10

Last edited by Frosty_86; 01-04-2013 at 05:30 PM..
Old 01-04-2013, 04:23 PM

Old 01-04-2013, 05:31 PM

Old 01-04-2013, 08:25 PM
I saw a couple of lesser known Barbara Stanwyck films today.

These Wilder Years with James Cagney - A businessman returns to his hometown to look for the son he fathered twenty years ago. Cagney did a good job portraying the loneliness and arrogance required of his character. The payoff was a bit of a letdown but his character was fun to watch. 7/10

The Moonlighter with Fred MacMurray - A cattle rustler seeks vengeance on the lynch mob that hanged an innocent man by mistake while his ex tries to bring him to justice. A couple of complex and entertaining roles from the two leads. 8/10
Old 01-04-2013, 08:53 PM

The Canterbury Tales 7/10

Many know Pier Paolo Passolini for his controversial and schocking film Salo but he directed critically aclaimed films like The Decameron and Arabian Nights. I consider Passolini as an anti-Fellini.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:27 PM

Came out of leftfield. The film is as absurd as life itself and I think Mamet and Gordon played up that angle purposefully. I think it received poor reviews mostly cause of the critique on the US which this film doesn't try to hide and people didn't like it. Macy is Macy. I found it to be quite cold overall, but more a reflection of society of the Western hemisphere.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:49 AM
In Time - 6/10

Candy - 7/10
Old 01-05-2013, 05:12 AM
Searching for Sugarman (9/10)
Old 01-05-2013, 05:16 AM
Django Unchained - ***

Enjoyable and entertaining but far from great. My main issue with the movie being how it suddenly turns into a cartoon at the end. Christoph Waltz was easily the best thing about the movie. Love his character. The movie looks great too. Some stunning cinematography.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:22 AM

Old 01-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Casablanca - 8/10

This is 40 - 7/10
Old 01-05-2013, 05:19 PM
The Man With the Golden Gun (5/10)
Old 01-05-2013, 06:45 PM

Old 01-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Bad Day At Black Rock

Spencer Tracy, cool as he’s ever been, plays the black-suited, one-armed John J. MacReedy, who arrives in the small Mojave town of Black Rock out of Los Angeles. Immediately director John Sturges starts to turn up the heat on the suspense even as the sun bakes the desert panoramas, not a moment wasted as Tracy’s taciturn anti-hero is questioned and glared at by pretty much everyone in town, including a notable duo of bullheaded performances from Lee Marvin and Ernest Borgnine. Why is everyone on edge around this stranger poking around in their business? Clearly they’re hiding something, but just what it is I’ll leave to you to find out. The important thing to take away from this opinion is that I thought the film was a quality case in measured suspense filmmaking. The scenes between Tracy and the town’s de facto patriarch (played by a subdued but threatening Robert Ryan) are great little showpieces to anyone looking to study how a dialogue scene can be infused with palpable tension and danger, without the need or promise of actual impending violence.

-> 8/10
Old 01-05-2013, 07:49 PM
I Saw the Devil - 8/10
Old 01-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Blackboard Jungle - This was a very good film depicting the troubles of an inner city high school during the 50's. Glenn Ford does a fine job as the idealistic teacher who wants to get through to his students who are either troubled or just unwilling to learn. Vic Morrow and Sidney Poitier are the highlights on the student side and Bill Haley's 'Rock Around the Clock' is a great addition as well. 9/10

The Apartment - One of my all time favorite films. Jack Lemmon gives one of his best performances and his difficult time romancing Shirley MacLaine is full of both comedy and tragedy. There are many outstanding supporting roles as well to round out this classic. 10/10
Old 01-05-2013, 11:09 PM

Old 01-06-2013, 01:14 AM

Liberal Arts(2012)-8/10
Old 01-06-2013, 03:12 AM
Little Shop Of Horrors - Director's Cut - 6/10
Old 01-06-2013, 03:45 AM

Welcome back Bob. We, or I, missed you. That was solid all around.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:16 AM

Old 01-06-2013, 06:54 AM
Zero Dark Thirty

Old 01-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Django Unchained - 9/10
The Imposter - 8/10
This Is 40 - 6/10
Old 01-06-2013, 02:54 PM

The “found footage’ film genre has been getting a steady revival with films such as Chronicle, Project X, and more importantly the Paranormal Activity films. But, a collection of directors decided to put a spin on the type of genre, utilizing a more horror anthology, a la Creepshow or Tales from the Hood, aspect towards the “found footage” genre. Revolving around a story of crooks breaking into a house to retrieve a video, they discover a bunch of videos that provide their own horrific story within the revolving story of the crooks’ plotline. V/H/S certainly succeeds in building up these stories, even if the conclusions of certain tapes are more disappointing than inherently interesting.

1) Tape 56

This is the overarching story of this anthology, following a bunch of despicable hoods that are given a job to take a videotape from a mysterious man’s house. The direction by Adam Wingard is suitable enough, ratcheting up the tension on what is going on in the house effectively enough. The problem that this segment, as well as other segments, has is the inability to end their storylines effectively. Also, there is the use of blaring musical cues that take out the authenticity that the film seemed to want to provide for the film. All in all, a fairly creepy segment that is spread throughout the film’s runtime, despite being disappointing in the end.

2) Amateur Night

This is the first segment of the film, as well as a very solid one. Director David Bruckner introduces us to a group of three obnoxious frat-boys who have the nerdy one of the group wear camera glasses in order to record the possibility of any of them getting action at their hotel room. Needless to say, things don’t go quite well for the trio. Bruckner keeps this segment tight and interesting, always going forward with the plot, and laying down the creepiness for the audience in the most unexpected places. A very great opening to this horror anthology!

3) Second Honeymoon

The second segment in V/H/S is more of a slow burn than Amateur Night, revolving around a couple who are documenting their road trip on camcorder throughout the Western United States. The actors a re likable enough, but the slow reveal that director Ti West rings abut in the final act is fairly shocking, but for the most part kind of makes no sense in a way. That seems to be the point that West makes in the shocking, yet jarring conclusion, but the film has enough creepiness that it isn’t entirely unwatchable.

4) Thursday the 13th

This third segment in V/H/S is the perfect example of a concept that sounded cool on paper for the writers and director, but just feels like complete amateur hour when the segment is played out on screen. The segment, directed by Glenn McQuaid, is a bit of a horror slasher flick with a twist, but the way the pieces fall in terms of the plot just feel mediocre for the most part. The segment moves at a brisk pace and there are minor parts that don’t make the film feel like a complete waste, but the segment as a whole feels very silly and has an ending that tries way, way too hard to be shocking. All in all, the segment isn’t awful, but certainly not up to the standards that the previous segments brought to the table.

5) The Sick Thing that Happened to Emily When She Was Younger

Thankfully, this fourth segment brings back the quality that the other three segments brought to the table. Revolving around a series of Skype-like conversation between a girl Emily (Helen Rogers) and her boyfriend James (Daniel Kaufman), the segment evokes a haunted house theme, with also effective ambiguously creepy moments that Ti Wet’s segment tried to do, but never really was able to make it entirely work. Director Joe Swanberg makes just about everything work in this segment right up until the final moments. Suspenseful and eerie, this is certainly a memorable segment in this anthology.

6) 10/31/98

This final segment of the anthology really fires on all cylinders, with the direction team of Radio Silence pulling out all the stops to ensure that this segment works for their audience. The film takes place on an old camcorder, following four friends who are going to a Halloween party at night, naturally. However, the night takes a hard right turn when they come to the house and find it almost completely vacant. The four guys are the complete opposite of the one-note jerks in Amateur Night, bringing enough character to their limited screen time to garner some sympathy when the night gets stranger and stranger. Just about everything is telegraphed excellently, and a very well done conclusion to the anthology.

All in all, V/H/S’s concept of a “found footage” horror anthology is something that is very admirable, even with the payoff in certain segments doesn’t work well with what they were building up. A nice rental for horror fans that want something unique, interesting, or something that isn’t exactly like Paranormal Activity.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Minecraft: The Story Of Mojang - 10/10
Old 01-06-2013, 03:26 PM

Old 01-06-2013, 05:34 PM

Old 01-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Rocky Balboa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	11155  
Old 01-06-2013, 09:07 PM
In the Heat of the Night - Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger are at the top of their games in this whodunit. It's also a good look at prejudice in the Deep South. Just a fine effort all around. 9/10
Old 01-06-2013, 09:37 PM

Closed Thread