Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 03:45 AM
Gangster Squad (7/10)
Old 01-16-2013, 06:23 AM
PESCADOR

Im glad i found this little film while scanning HBO ONDEMAND titles.
It's a charming,humorous suspenseful tale of Blanquito a fisherman,who finds a few kilos of cocaine
on a beach.Always looking at the bigger picture he decides to sell it to a buyer outside of his
village in Ecuador.Along the way he attempts to connect with a man who may be his father and falls for
the woman who accompanies him ,and says she can find a buyer for the cocaine.

Scale of 1-10 an 8
Old 01-16-2013, 08:56 AM
Beyond the Hills - 9/10

Tabu - 9/10

I can now say that 2012 has been a fine year for film.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:48 PM
figured i'd re-watch this series since i'm not going anyway for awhile caught that Norovirus that's going around

all the extended editions

10/10

8/10

9/10
Old 01-16-2013, 05:02 PM

Gangster Squad(2013)-8/10
Old 01-16-2013, 06:05 PM

The Hills Have Eyes (1977) by Wes Craven (6/10)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077681/

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) by Tobe Hooper (9/10)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072271/

Aliens 2: Sulla Terra (1980) by Ciro Ippolito (3/10)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078749/

The Devils (1971) by Ken Russel (8/10)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066993/

The Amityville Horror (1979) by Stuart Rosenberg (5/10)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078767/

The Entity (1982) by Sidney J. Furie (7/10)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082334/

Cobra (1986) by George P. Cosmatos (6/10)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090859/

1990: The Bronx Warriors (1982) by Enzo G. Castellari (4/10)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085124/

Dolls (1987) by Stuart Gordon (5/10)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092906/

Last edited by TokeZa; 01-17-2013 at 02:14 PM..
Old 01-16-2013, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by viceus View Post
Beyond the Hills - 9/10

Tabu - 9/10

I can now say that 2012 has been a fine year for film.
I'll back this up further with . . .

The House I Live In - 9/10

A treat for the UK populace among us, this was screened on BBC Four t'other night and is available for stream on iPlayer . . .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...use_I_Live_In/
Old 01-16-2013, 08:44 PM

7/10
Old 01-16-2013, 08:58 PM
Seven Psychopaths

There’s a distinct lack of an emotional throughline in the last half of the movie that I just couldn’t ignore. Once Farrell and company hit the desert to flee the wrath of Harrelson’s psychotic dog-loving gangster, the film just sorta meanders until the unconventional showdown in the finale. I did love Sam Rockwell’s dramatization of Farrell’s “Seven Psychopaths” screenplay ending, which reminded me a bit of Willem Dafoe’s crime scene re-enactments from Boondock Saints. But Rockwell stealing the show reinforces the point - Farrell’s character, a struggling Hollywood hack writer with a deadline and a drinking problem, just seems to react to events in the story and the oddball characters around him instead of being a proactive participant with an understandable goal. You know, other than “get my script done while not dying in the crossfire of these psychopathic motherfuckers”, or as Screenwriting 101 would call it – “necessary shit”. I’m paraphrasing, though. However, the film nevertheless crackles with the kind of ebullient vulgarity that Martin McDonagh excelled at in his previous Farrell collaboration In Bruges, which does a splendid job of hiding the script’s more obvious structural flaws. The dialogue and performances are top of the line (primo Walken shtick here, folks), and the “Psychopath Sequences”, on their own, are brilliantly written little short films, especially the one with the Harry Dean Stanton cameo. In the end, it’s a wash that tilts more in favor of the film than against it, but it needed some work, I think.

-> 7/10
Old 01-16-2013, 09:05 PM
Manpower with Edward G. Robinson - A couple of power line repairmen fall for the same woman and have their own difficulties on the job. The script wasn't very original but the talented cast manages to make this a quality film. 7/10

Call It a Day with Olivia de Havilland - Both husband and wife find suitors that may make for better spouses. This one was a little dull and the final resolution wasn't very interesting. 4/10
Old 01-16-2013, 10:17 PM

8/10
Old 01-17-2013, 12:12 AM

8/10
Old 01-17-2013, 01:19 AM
A Separation (10/10)
Old 01-17-2013, 02:14 AM
Hirokin: The Last Samurai (2011)

Space samurai on a distant planet says you? yes please says I. The villain played by the dastardly devilish looking Julian Sands?? oh my! this sounds great! Wes Bentley says you? hmm OK not bad, not bad, but I've gone slightly soft now.

Plus points...the film looks pretty sweet, its basic with obvious sets and errr a handful of bad guys, villagers and good guys used over and over but the location work looks nice. Set on the distant desert planet of 'Aradius' you can see straight away certain similarities to many other sci-fi/fantasy films, need I list them?. So everything looks very familiar yet admittedly rather nice with use of sunsets, twilight, dusk, early morning etc...the colours and hues are gorgeous at times.

Apart from that the film is your standard by the numbers 'chosen one' plot. A lone warrior saves a small tribe of people (aliens that look exactly like humans) from a tyrant human played by Sands naturally. All the bad guys look like Imperial guards from 'ROTJ' and Sands looks suspiciously like Sting in 'Dune'.

Its all very cliched and run of the mill stuff, yet the whole point is lost on me, I have no real clue what's in it for the evil Julian Sands to do what he does. Angus Macfadyen is the 'Yoda-like' Master, the all powerful leader, warrior and rebel who must train the eager 'Hirokin', cue lots of training montages set against facial close ups and with many shadows and silhouettes.

There seems to be a lot more style over substance really, very arty and nice to look at but behind that its pretty crappy stuff really. Doesn't really make much sense, why would a distant planet in the future (or so I assume) utilize the ancient Japanese samurai way of life, war and culture? where do they get their fuel, water and food from? etc...I could go on but I won't.

Shame the people/aliens of this poor village seem to totally outnumber the bad guys (but why would they even stay in this village?, the area offers nothing...leeeeave it!!). Oh and this alien race are called 'Arids'. You see what they have done there? 'Arids'...'Arabs'? or maybe because the planet they live on is arid?...ah beats the shit outta me.

Its a nice slice of B-movie sci-fi hokum that will please some fans of the genre. Its fun harmless stuff and Bentley does look the part I admit. May I suggest a better choice, if you like sci-fi hokum then I recommend 'Hunter Prey' which is a much better ride.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:54 AM
Killer Joe

9/10
Old 01-17-2013, 06:21 AM
Flight

SPOILER WARNING!

A serious drama for Zemeckis this time and you'd think that might sound a bit dodgy, but its not!. I must admit to being really quite mistaken about the premise here, I kind thought this was some kind of in-flight disaster flick. I thought the whole film was on-board an airliner, some kind of long haul thriller, so totally wrong there.

As it turns out the film is about a veteran pilot played by Washington who is a secret alcoholic and casual drug user. Unfortunately this 'top gun' pilot of passenger flights has the incredible bad luck of having his latest flight fall apart on him and go down. The main crux of the story being he just happened to be high and nicely drunk at the time. Yeeeah the suits are gonna have a field day with that sunshine, if it ain't safe don't do it and that's gonna equal some major retraining meladdo.

So this kicks off a long emotional rollercoaster as Washington's character must fight to prove the plane was damaged from the get go and his 'issue' had nothing to do with it. An 'act of God'.

Now this might sound rather drab but its actually really intriguing to see how this modern age works with all its health n safety nonsense. I could say its like a witch hunt of sorts really, the bottom line being despite the fact the plane was in bad shape and fell apart due to bad maintenance means nothing because of one fact, the pilot had been drinking. The word scapegoat arises.

This is the main focus of the film and it rings many bells within the real world because this is what its actually like. The plane could of been struck by lighting and gone down, completely an 'act of God' by which no one could avoid. But if the pilot turns out to have a negative drugs n alcohol test...he's screwed!. The airline companies, safety boards/regulators, police...everyone will be on your ass due to that test result, they will want someone to hang for it and that test result will take the centre stage.

This film is very good at showing how frustrating/stressful this scenario can be for someone (if you've worked in public transport of any kind you will relate BIGTIME!), of course the drama is slightly more exaggerated for film purposes. Washington is like Daniel Day-Lewis, you have an epic drama, you hire one of these guys, you really can't go wrong and I don't even need to say anymore on the matter.

Is John Goodman in everything now!? again he pops up here as Washington's drug dealing buddy. I must say I didn't really like this aspect of the story, this character, as it just seemed too Hollywood. Without trying to give much away...the finale where Washington's character is wasted (again) and they need to get him together was ridiculous. Yes of course its artistic license being a film and not real but really? would a lawyer and top union rep really actually assist this guy after all they've done when he goes and gets wasted AGAIN!. On top of that they actually pay for him to take cocaine to 'perk him up' as it were, coffee not being strong enough.

Next minute he's out the door shades on ready to take on the courts. This whole sequence ruined the film for me as its completely unrealistic (this is suppose to be a serious film) and it shows Washington's character hasn't learnt a thing, it frustrates you. But I guess it lines up the story for the 'down to earth with a bump' finish for Washington's character.

The whole plot is frustrating really, if you know the transport field especially. The ending stings and you feel the emotion Washington's character must feel. He saved the plane, 96 out of 102 folk on-board, its proven beyond a doubt, faulty mechanics and poor maintenance, his skills were unmatched and he saved the day. But alas! one small test that doesn't really mean anything (in this case) is what everyone hooks onto, oh the agony!!.

Definitely a surprise as it starts out rather dull but really gets a hold of you once we are airborne. The whole film doesn't feel like a product of Zemeckis a tall, kudos Sir. The basic premise of watching a character go through hell, the ups and downs, is nothing really new but I latched onto this, I could relate, I could feel his pain and anger. So for me this film really struck home and had me glued to the screen. Whether everyone will be the same I dunno but its well worth the watch despite a pretty uninspiring film title.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:27 AM
Sleep Tight-7/10,
Creepy,unsettling spanish movie about a janitor in an aparment block who was born without the ability to be happy.So he makes people lives in the apartment block hell without them knowing.Untill a new girl moves in who`s always happy and smiling and he sets out to cause her to have a mental breakdown by doing this each more mean spirted then the next things too her while shes sleeping.It`ll make you check under your bed before sleeping forsure.

Take Shelter-8/10,
Really liked it.Guy with a young family starts having dreams about a armageddon type storm coming.He begins to work on a fall out shelter to protect his family.Is he going crazy or something bad is coming over the horzion. Slow movie but really well filmed.Amazing acting from the main guy and the lead girl whose the main actress from zero dark thirty.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:36 PM

Touch of Evil (1958) by Orson Welles (9/10)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052311/

The Night of the Hunter (1955) by Charles Laughton (8/10)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048424/

Aguirre, Wrath of God (1972) by Werner Herzog (10/10)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068182/

Thundercrack! (1975) by Curt McDowell (7/10)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thundercrack!

Turks fruit (1973) by Paul Verhoeven (9/10)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070842/
Old 01-17-2013, 03:57 PM

A Haunted House(2013)-5/10
Old 01-17-2013, 05:02 PM
Ralph Bakshi's Cool World http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104009/
Old 01-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Roughly Speaking with Rosalind Russell - The story of a mother trying to keep her family going during WWI and the Great Depression. Russell did a real nice job in this. There were a few funny moments to break up the drama which was nice. 7/10

The Postman Always Rings Twice - One of my all time favorites. I still can't get over how damn beautiful Lana Turner was. She and John Garfield gave excellent performances and I liked Hume Cronyn's small role as her lawyer as well. 10/10
Old 01-17-2013, 07:55 PM

Jiro Dreams of Sushi(2012)-7/10
Old 01-18-2013, 02:40 AM
THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, PART 2 - 5.5/10
Not nearly as good as part one, and I never really did like the whole Batman vs. Superman thing in the comic, so of course that made the movie less enjoyable. The thing about Superman is, he's too powerful and it makes even Batman taking him on seem way too contrived and pointless. Anyway...

ARBITRAGE - 7/10

So it's a run-of-the-mill standard "big money company" thriller, but the journey was good.

PREMIUM RUSH - 6.5/10

Not since QUICKSILVER has there been such a riveting bike messenger-themed movie, with enough stunt bike action to also bring nostalgic reminisces of RAD.
It was just a brainless, entertaining bike chase actioner. With that in mind, it delivers.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:26 AM
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2 - 7/10
The Collection - 8/10
Texas Chainsaw 3D - 3/10
Old 01-18-2013, 09:26 AM

Raging Bull (1980) by Martin Scorsese (10/10)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081398/

The Tree of Life (2011) by Terrence Malick (7/10)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478304/

Triumph of the Will (1935) by Leni Riefenstahl (8/10)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025913/

A very powerfull / scary document of Nazi propaganda.
Its public domain and can be watch for free at archive.org
Old 01-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Leon - 9/10
Sweeney Todd - 7/10
Old 01-18-2013, 02:14 PM
The Conversation - 4/5
Batman Begins - 4/5
Dredd - 3.5/5
Lawless - 4/5
The Godfather Part II - 5/5
Old 01-18-2013, 05:25 PM

7/10
Old 01-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Ditto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck Bond View Post

Jiro Dreams of Sushi(2012)
When you cut through the succulent aquatic flesh, the heart of the film is about what it takes to be successful, and the consequences of that. There’s a wonderful story to tell from both sides of the coin, where so much discipline and focus on one’s career can have adverse consequences on one’s family. Any number of entrepreneurs and industries could’ve been spotlighted to get this film’s central thesis across, I suppose, but Jiro Ono as the world’s premiere sushi chef was probably one of the best case studies to really put the subject matter in stark relief. See, Jiro is of the old school Japanese tradition, putting honor and work ethic before everything else, including the emotional needs of his own family at times. It’s hard to wrap your mind around such a self-commanding lifestyle, even as you can’t help but respect the results that his principles have brought about. The second story that’s just as interesting is that of his eldest son Yoshikazu, Jiro’s chief apprentice and eventual successor. As triumphant and inspiring as Jiro’s story is, his son’s has an element of mourning, in that he was essentially conscripted to devote his life to sushi as his father did. Not because it’s his dream, but because it’s expected of him, and you can see in his expression sometimes how he’s still clearly conflicted to this day about what he really wants. So, whether uplifting or bittersweet, this is ultimately a great documentary that showcases the highs and lows of what we might uniformly define as “success”. Good thing, too, because I fuckin’ hate sushi.

-> 9/10
Old 01-18-2013, 09:52 PM

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves(1991)-10/10
Old 01-18-2013, 09:58 PM
5 Against the House - This heist film has some tense moments mostly involving the psycho who turns on his partners. Kim Novak did a solid job as the nightclub singer who is roped into the mess by her boyfriend. 7/10

Big Deal on Madonna Street - This is an Italian heist film and is probably better than the previous film I saw. There was more humor and the cast featured many of Italy's finest actors at the time. 8/10
Old 01-19-2013, 12:17 AM
Being John Malkovich - 4.5/5
Old 01-19-2013, 12:23 AM
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Well here we go again with another overly long grandiose epic based on some small unknown tale courtesy of a fat Kiwi. The much anticipated prequel trilogy (yes trilogy, don't get me started) to another somewhat well known literacy tale by some bloke called Token?.

'Far over the misty mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old'

Yep this gorgeous line pretty much gives you the perfect clue to what to expect in this adventure, many caves and many caverns, dwarf country. From the off we are back in 'the Shire' and on very familiar ground as old friends are soon in the fold and we get another very useful eye catching prologue. The visuals straight away are much like an old pair of shoes, it all just slips back into place, you can see its a Jackson film, only sweeter this time.

Plot? errr its kinda simple, bit like 'LOTR', 'Bilbo' 'Gandalf' and a bunch of dwarves march off across Middle Earth (yep we're doing that again) to 'Lonely Mountain', the old home of the dwarves. There they will kick out the nasty dragon 'Smaug' (dragons have personal names? aren't they just creatures?) who took over the mountain dwelling from the dwarves in a really quite violent and unfriendly way. Why? beats the heck outta me, cos the dwarves had tonnes of loot inside the mountain and 'Smaug' wanted it all. Why would a dragon need tonnes of gold and jewels? is he going to buy himself a nice car? in fact why does 'Gandalf' care? on with the review!.

On the whole the entire film is pretty much as before with wonderful bold colours and imagination bursting from the screen in some sequences, and with dark shady doom and gloom in others. The detail again is superb with every last item you can see, location work is stunning (tourism on the up again) whilst makeup, sets and props are lavishly rustic and genuine. Weaponry stands out in this film as we see many nice swords displayed which do make you wanna own one yourself. But overall its most definitely a much much crisper, tighter, sharper affair all round, looking much better than the 'LOTR' trilogy as you would expect with time. Really I don't need to talk much about the visuals as its business as usual to be honest...but I will.

The only downside as usual with all these films is certain sequences involving the dreaded CGI monster. Yes skies, sunsets, landscapes, 'Rivendell', the 'Lonely Mountain' and hordes of orcs all look good in this format, but some things never change. The sequences involving the 'Warg' riding orcs still looked pretty rough and clearly fake just like the last time we saw them. These sequences really do look hokey to me I can't deny, like something outta 'Underworld', the same could be said for the sequences within the Goblin caves and the awful looking Goblin King.

I don't want to moan too much about this film as it was a solid entry but you can't help but find small issues. The whole Goblin caves section was pretty much another 'Moria' sequence really, it felt too much like deja vu. Plus the escape from the caves was really totally over the top with some quite ridiculous action sequences, very much like a videogame at times. Remember the elephant surfing 'Legolas' in 'ROTK'? yikes!. Did I mention how bad the Goblin King looked? oh yeah...what the hell was THAT about!? like an early concept for 'Jabba the Hut'...really!.

Didn't really like the whole tree climbing escape sequence towards the end either, that felt as though they had written themselves into a corner. Unsure how accurate this film is to the books seeing as I've never read 'The Hobbit' but that part really seemed kinda dumb. I'll just pop in that 'Azog' the orc chieftain looks more like a vampire outta 'Underworld' also, yes...I'm using 'Underworld' as a reference again.

To be brutally honest there are other elements that just seemed...pointless?. The character of 'Radagast the Brown' wasn't really explored much with no real reason to be there. A minor quibble as I reckon he'll be back with a chance for more explanations. The stone giants sequence seemed a bit irrelevant, unsure if its in the book but it felt like they needed something to fill that gap and add a touch of excitement. Oh and we have eagles saving the day again, boy those eagles are bloody handy to have around huh.

On the plus side apart from the visuals the dwarf company is handled well, cast well and perform well. I liked the variation on the characters even though 'Willow' crept into my mind. Was surprised to find out Graham McTavish was a dwarf seeing as the guy is about 6ft! his character was one of few that was a hardass, the others tended to be a bit dweebish, looked a bit goofy. What is it with the Scottish accents though? why are most dwarves Scottish? am I missing something on dwarf legend here?. Its just amusing that in these fantasy films its always Scottish or cockney accents hehe no problems, just an observation. I liked the dwarf names too, nice, very...dwarfish, but there should of been a mohawk dwarf in the company.

'dwarf scum'...'rebel scum' heh.

'Gollum' is back unfortunately, but hurra! he finally looks realistic apart from his Disney eyes medical problem, man that decision really mucks up his supposedly creepy looks. Some great facial expressions going on this time, really was impressed with the advancement there, but he's still annoying as hell with that fudging voice.

I must admit I feared the worst, I was reading the film is dull and stretched but I didn't feel it. I actually enjoyed this film more than a lot of the original trilogy. I guess it felt more adventurous as I had no clue what happens, never seen anything of it visually despite knowing how it would look after 'LOTR'. Its not quite as dark as 'LOTR', feels a wee bit more for the kids, hated the fact no dwarfs bite the dust (some must do eventually!!) but the fact technology has progressed is evident and makes most of the film truly memorable. Kinda makes you wanna whip out your Games Workshop miniatures and play, or Dungeons & Dragons, which ever way you role.

Still, the thought does spring to mind how on earth they will stretch it out over two more films. The first was gonna be sufficiently packed but I fear the second may well be reeeeally stretched seeing as the company is close to 'Lonely Mountain' as it is!. Lets remember this is only about walking to the dwarves old home and fighting a dragon, some films do that kinda thing in a standard 1hour 30mins. We will see, yesss we will see.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbs View Post
Spoiler:
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Well here we go again with another overly long grandiose epic based on some small unknown tale courtesy of a fat Kiwi. The much anticipated prequel trilogy (yes trilogy, don't get me started) to another somewhat well known literacy tale by some bloke called Token?.

'Far over the misty mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old'

Yep this gorgeous line pretty much gives you the perfect clue to what to expect in this adventure, many caves and many caverns, dwarf country. From the off we are back in 'the Shire' and on very familiar ground as old friends are soon in the fold and we get another very useful eye catching prologue. The visuals straight away are much like an old pair of shoes, it all just slips back into place, you can see its a Jackson film, only sweeter this time.

Plot? errr its kinda simple, bit like 'LOTR', 'Bilbo' 'Gandalf' and a bunch of dwarves march off across Middle Earth (yep we're doing that again) to 'Lonely Mountain', the old home of the dwarves. There they will kick out the nasty dragon 'Smaug' (dragons have personal names? aren't they just creatures?) who took over the mountain dwelling from the dwarves in a really quite violent and unfriendly way. Why? beats the heck outta me, cos the dwarves had tonnes of loot inside the mountain and 'Smaug' wanted it all. Why would a dragon need tonnes of gold and jewels? is he going to buy himself a nice car? in fact why does 'Gandalf' care? on with the review!.

On the whole the entire film is pretty much as before with wonderful bold colours and imagination bursting from the screen in some sequences, and with dark shady doom and gloom in others. The detail again is superb with every last item you can see, location work is stunning (tourism on the up again) whilst makeup, sets and props are lavishly rustic and genuine. Weaponry stands out in this film as we see many nice swords displayed which do make you wanna own one yourself. But overall its most definitely a much much crisper, tighter, sharper affair all round, looking much better than the 'LOTR' trilogy as you would expect with time. Really I don't need to talk much about the visuals as its business as usual to be honest...but I will.

The only downside as usual with all these films is certain sequences involving the dreaded CGI monster. Yes skies, sunsets, landscapes, 'Rivendell', the 'Lonely Mountain' and hordes of orcs all look good in this format, but some things never change. The sequences involving the 'Warg' riding orcs still looked pretty rough and clearly fake just like the last time we saw them. These sequences really do look hokey to me I can't deny, like something outta 'Underworld', the same could be said for the sequences within the Goblin caves and the awful looking Goblin King.

I don't want to moan too much about this film as it was a solid entry but you can't help but find small issues. The whole Goblin caves section was pretty much another 'Moria' sequence really, it felt too much like deja vu. Plus the escape from the caves was really totally over the top with some quite ridiculous action sequences, very much like a videogame at times. Remember the elephant surfing 'Legolas' in 'ROTK'? yikes!. Did I mention how bad the Goblin King looked? oh yeah...what the hell was THAT about!? like an early concept for 'Jabba the Hut'...really!.

Didn't really like the whole tree climbing escape sequence towards the end either, that felt as though they had written themselves into a corner. Unsure how accurate this film is to the books seeing as I've never read 'The Hobbit' but that part really seemed kinda dumb. I'll just pop in that 'Azog' the orc chieftain looks more like a vampire outta 'Underworld' also, yes...I'm using 'Underworld' as a reference again.

To be brutally honest there are other elements that just seemed...pointless?. The character of 'Radagast the Brown' wasn't really explored much with no real reason to be there. A minor quibble as I reckon he'll be back with a chance for more explanations. The stone giants sequence seemed a bit irrelevant, unsure if its in the book but it felt like they needed something to fill that gap and add a touch of excitement. Oh and we have eagles saving the day again, boy those eagles are bloody handy to have around huh.

On the plus side apart from the visuals the dwarf company is handled well, cast well and perform well. I liked the variation on the characters even though 'Willow' crept into my mind. Was surprised to find out Graham McTavish was a dwarf seeing as the guy is about 6ft! his character was one of few that was a hardass, the others tended to be a bit dweebish, looked a bit goofy. What is it with the Scottish accents though? why are most dwarves Scottish? am I missing something on dwarf legend here?. Its just amusing that in these fantasy films its always Scottish or cockney accents hehe no problems, just an observation. I liked the dwarf names too, nice, very...dwarfish, but there should of been a mohawk dwarf in the company.

'dwarf scum'...'rebel scum' heh.

'Gollum' is back unfortunately, but hurra! he finally looks realistic apart from his Disney eyes medical problem, man that decision really mucks up his supposedly creepy looks. Some great facial expressions going on this time, really was impressed with the advancement there, but he's still annoying as hell with that fudging voice.

I must admit I feared the worst, I was reading the film is dull and stretched but I didn't feel it. I actually enjoyed this film more than a lot of the original trilogy. I guess it felt more adventurous as I had no clue what happens, never seen anything of it visually despite knowing how it would look after 'LOTR'. Its not quite as dark as 'LOTR', feels a wee bit more for the kids, hated the fact no dwarfs bite the dust (some must do eventually!!) but the fact technology has progressed is evident and makes most of the film truly memorable. Kinda makes you wanna whip out your Games Workshop miniatures and play, or Dungeons & Dragons, which ever way you role.

Still, the thought does spring to mind how on earth they will stretch it out over two more films. The first was gonna be sufficiently packed but I fear the second may well be reeeeally stretched seeing as the company is close to 'Lonely Mountain' as it is!. Lets remember this is only about walking to the dwarves old home and fighting a dragon, some films do that kinda thing in a standard 1hour 30mins. We will see, yesss we will see.
Not really the place for reviews, especially ones of such... quality.

Paul

7/10
Old 01-19-2013, 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Space View Post
Not really the place for reviews, especially ones of such... quality.

Paul

7/10
No, I think reviews are great and fine. I prefer that over someone posting a link to a review in efforts to garner more hits on their own page.

It's also MUCH better than someone that watches a movie, posts they saw it, then two hours later makes ANOTHER post saying they saw ANOTHER movie, etc... so a page has 5 consecutive posts by the same person...
I prefer when they edit their reply until at least one other person makes a new post...

I saw THE BOURNE LEGACY - 7/10
Old 01-19-2013, 12:09 PM
The House I Live In - 7.5/10

This keeps flipping back between a 7 and 7.5 for me. I'll get the bad stuff out of the way first. Eugene Jarecki is just way too conventional with his approach, and all of his generic documentary tactics could make this fall in the same pile as the rest of the forgettable activist documentaries. Of course for every 'man on the street' interview or instances where Jarecki inserts himself into the doc there are really insightful looks into how the war on drugs has destroyed everything it comes into contact with. The subject matter alone makes this essential viewing, and I admire its balls when it comes to calling the drug war what it really is ("a holocaust in slow motion" as David Simon puts it). Disappointing that it didn't get a Best Documentary nod but I hope this gets more viewers over time.

Killing Them Softly - 5/10

What a weird experience. I mean, some stuff happened to people and that stuff caused the people to do more stuff but I'll be damned if I can find anything relevant or interesting about what was going on. Sure, the cast is good and Dominik has plenty of style (I'd say that his style gets too intrusive here at a few points) but the whole movie just kind of sat there. And yes, a little subtlety could have helped.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:21 PM
The Caine Mutiny - 5/10
Old 01-19-2013, 02:52 PM

Project A part 2 6/10
Old 01-19-2013, 07:49 PM
KILLING THEM SOFTLY - 5/10

LES MISERABLES (2012) - 6/10
Hugh Jackman was great, and so was almost everyone else. Except Russel Crowe. They should have hired ANYONE else. Even me. I would have done it for free, and I would have kicked ass at it.

Last edited by KcMsterpce; 01-19-2013 at 09:07 PM..
Old 01-19-2013, 08:47 PM

8/10
Closed Thread