Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Mad Men: Season Four

Okay, I’ll admit when I’m wrong. Consider me a convert to a show I’ve never been crazy about at word go. All you Madmen For Mad Men happy now? It’s still no Breaking Bad for the most addictive AMC series running today, but Matthew Weiner, his writing staff, and phenomenal cast have been getting better and better with each season, gaining more confidence in storytelling and swagger, so much that this latest season just feels like another complete package after a stellar third that went a long way toward making me a believer. This season is also funnier than I remember the show ever being, or maybe just more natural at it now, with a lot of great lines sprinkled in that made me laugh out loud. Forget Jon Hamm for a sec - John Slattery completely ran away with this season. But contrary to being lighthearted, the themes of change that dominated the third seemed to have given way to the resultant sobering uncertainty and insecurity in Don Draper that shows how vulnerable this once-untouchable power player really is. The key part of that gameplan was wisely dismantling the comfy power structure that was Sterling-Cooper in favor of the upstart Sterling-Cooper-Draper-Pryce, giving the characters a reinvigorated spirit of scrappy ambition where complacent decadence once defined them. Which was probably my initial underwhelmed reasoning for not being as enamoured with the drama on the show to begin with. Don always had problems, but now they’re palpable, even relateable, and often tragic. This new dramatic conflict makes for maybe the most engrossing season yet, at least from where I’m sitting as a casual viewer. Yet despite all my praise and glowing score, I'm still gonna be rooting against it come Emmy time. Sorry - I'm not that won over yet.

-> 9/10

Last edited by syxxpac; 07-27-2011 at 02:39 PM..
Old 07-27-2011, 04:50 PM
X-Men: First Class

It ain't not X2: X-Men United (as I consider it to be the best, and most rich of all the films) but it is quite decent

8/10
Old 07-27-2011, 05:03 PM
man from nowhere - kinda slick in parts but ultimately another oldboy clone from s korea, this time with a prettier face in the lead. the chap from 'mother'

also overly sentimental

5.5/10

soylent green 5.5/10
Old 07-27-2011, 05:17 PM
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - 5/10

I read the first 6 Potter books until puberty fully took over and I only saw the first two movies when they were released. Watching this movie around 8 years after seeing Chamber of Secrets made for a fun experience, mainly to see how poorly written, paced and anticlimactic this movie is. There's nothing engaging about this movie, it felt like I was watching it through a wall.

Horrible Bosses - 6/10

If you want to make a comedy that bites don't defang it. It's pleasant at best and bland studio fare otherwise (this plays out like a PG-13 comedy with some extra fucks thrown in). I don't have much to say about this because there really isn't a lot to talk about.

Stake Land - 8/10

Time to count Jim Mickle as a director to look out for. Stake Land is the most ambitious horror movie to come out in years and (so far) my favourite film of 2011. The fact that Stake Land is heavily influenced by Terrence Malick and Cormac McCarthy immediately puts it ahead of almost every other horror movie out there right now. Mickle creates a post-apocalyptic version of America that's more bleak and convincing than what John Hillcoat did with The Road (and Mickle worked with a fraction of that movie's budget). Anyone who likes post-apocalyptic or horror movies are doing themselves a disservice by not seeing this movie.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:42 PM

7/10
Old 07-27-2011, 08:48 PM
From Dusk Till Dawn - The story wasn't that great and some of the actors were just terrible (like Tarantino and Juliette Lewis) but it still managed to be pretty fun. The fights with the vampires were great and Clooney still managed to be charming while playing a violent thieving nutjob. And Salma Hayek's costume - wow. 7/10

Ship of Fools - The stories of many passengers on an ocean liner headed from Mexico to Germany. There were many fine performances from people such as Lee Marvin, Vivien Leigh (in her final film,) Simone Signoret, Jose Ferrer and Oskar Werner. There was also this blonde German model who was absolutely stunning. Their intertwining stories made for a fascinating film. 8/10

The Mayor of Hell with James Cagney - Cagney is a corrupt racketeer who is put in charge of a reform school by his equally corrupt politician friends. He actually begins to make some changes for the better when he sees how the boys are treated. Cagney does a nice job as the criminal turned straight when he finds a purpose in his life. The ending is a bit of a shock but offers a nice ending to the story. 7/10
Old 07-27-2011, 10:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRpsuc6y0QA
Case 39
Brilliant movie

Old 07-27-2011, 11:02 PM

Friends with Benefits(2011)-7/10
Old 07-27-2011, 11:15 PM
the godfather part 2[1974]

4.5/5

almost as good as the first godfather
Old 07-27-2011, 11:23 PM

Cowboys & Aliens - 4/10

So bad, so disappointing!
Old 07-28-2011, 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by APzombie View Post

9/10
Love it, love it, love it. Romantic, energetic, fun. My favorite of the red curtain trilogy.
Agreed, although its the only one I can stand to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
Cowboys & Aliens - 4/10

So bad, so disappointing!

NO! I'm sad.

Re-watched:

Blow Out (on Criterion) - 8.5/10

The blu-ray just goes to show that new transfers of older movies really don't matter. The music is a bit more dramatic than I remember, haven't seen it in nearly a decade, but still a suspense masterpiece. Probably my favorite DePalma flick.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:39 AM
FRIENDS WITH BENEFITS

Funny,sexy, comedy,sure it has some corny and predictable moments but Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis have great chemistry that enhances the film.
Scale of 1-10 an 8

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest

The slowest and most drawn out in The Girl series,some good moments but a chore to get through for the most part.

Scale of 1-10 a 7

COP OUT

I laughed a few times,but wow what an obnoxious movie.I thought they stopped making weak comedies like this in the early 90's!!!

Scale of 1-10 a 4
Old 07-28-2011, 07:02 AM

The Tourist
3/10
Old 07-28-2011, 09:51 AM
Life at Wartime (sequel to Happiness)

It lacked everything that made Happiness so damn great.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:07 PM
xXx - 6/10
Old 07-28-2011, 01:34 PM

A very good biopic. Gary Oldman was excellent. I could give the movie a higher rating if it weren't for Chloe Webb, who was annoying in some of her scenes.

8/10
Old 07-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (2003)

I've only seen this and 3-Iron. I know Ki-duk Kim's earlier films are known for their violence so the ones I've seen so far are different for him.

I really liked this movie. There are some gorgeous shots of the surrounding water and forests of the floating monestary and I found it really moving in spots.

8/10
Old 07-28-2011, 02:01 PM
^ i think that is his best. check out 'the isle' at some point
Old 07-28-2011, 03:04 PM

10/10
Old 07-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Inadequate People

3/10
Old 07-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Tron Legacy 8/10
Old 07-28-2011, 07:51 PM
I Saw The Devil

And “I Saw Another Fucking Awesome Korean Revenge Flick”. But their title is better. Stepping over to the dark side this time around in the vengeance game, Oldboy’s badass-in-chief Min-sik Choi trades in his hammer for a pipe and a homemade guillotine as a twisted psychopath that makes the mistake of butchering the pregnant fiancé of an equally badass Korean James Bond who has all the tools and skills necessary to track him down and make him his squealing, bleeding bitch. Cat and mouse wargames ensue, but with enough twists and turns in the second half of the increasingly ambitious and bizarre story that the daunting runtime actually becomes a plus and not a minus. It gets gorier, crazier, funnier, sicker, edgier and more intense the longer it goes on, far from overstaying its welcome. By the end you know you’ve been taken on an exhausting but exhilerating ride of utterly unique proportions despite a well-worn genre, and you couldn’t ask for much more from a movie like this in stepping up a game made famous by Chan-wook Park’s Vengeance Trilogy.

-> 9/10
Old 07-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Westward Passage with Laurence Olivier - A selfish writer's wife leaves him and he tries to win her back. There were some mildly amusing scenes throughout and the ending was the best part. 6/10

Gambling Lady with Barbara Stanwyck - A gambler who refuses to play crooked games and her romantic life are constantly at odds. There is also some jealously when another suitor tries to win her affections and her husband's ex shows up as well. The story is decent and Stanwyck is charming as ever. The ending is predictable but still satisfying. 7/10

Murder Man with Spencer Tracy - A reporter specializing in murder cases pins the blame of one such murder on a business associate. The ending is a twist I did not expect in this case. Tracy's performance is solid and James Stewart also does a decent job in his film debut. 6/10

This Property is Condemned with Natalie Wood and Robert Redford - A man comes to a small Depression-era town to lay people off from their railroad jobs. Wood is a beautiful young woman who falls for him against her mother's wishes. The bulk of the story is a flashback - the story is told by her younger sister. Two fantastic performances by the leads in this one. The main problem I had was the ending - it was depressing and didn't really seem to fit the story. Still a great film until that point though. 8/10
Old 07-28-2011, 08:54 PM

7/10
Old 07-28-2011, 08:55 PM

A "slow burn" movie can be something of a fine line for movie goers. While some people enjoy the tnesion that directors bring to thses types of movies, other people just want something to come up that is significant to move the plot and characters, not someone walking from one place to another. This a film that director Anton Corbjin brings to the table with his film, The American, which follows an assassin named Jack (George Clooney) hiding in a town in Italy, waiting for an assignment. While the film somehwat dawdles in certain character interactions that Jack has and has a bit of a rushed finale, the tension that Corbjin exudes in this film is just too good to ignore.

As a fan of action films, there have always been certain qualities that I always preferred in films. For one thing, I always think of the saying "less is more" in certain action films, as it makes the action all the more engaging and, in many ways, exciting. If you simply throw more bangs for your buck in certain places of your film, it becomes oversaturated and makes the movie feel repetitive. That's why certain action moments in quiet films like No Country for Old Men feel more memorable than action heavy films like Transformers, at least for me. It's the small scale and direction of these scnes that brings suspense for the viewers, waiting for the cork to just pop off.

The American doesn't have a very memorable "low-key" action moments, but the suspense is certainly wokrs in its favor. It's a world of paranoia and mistrust. Paranoia is key for the character of Jack, and George Clooney plays it off in spades. He's a man who can move on from the world he inhabits in a drop of a hat, or a crack of a bullet for that matter. However, there is a sense of connection that Jack yearns which is evident throughout the film, as well as being one of the plot points. However, as much as there are plot points to distinguish and broaden the character of Jack, the points feel rushed as well as kind of unimportant to the plot.

Yet, the movie is still impeccably made and acted, and that is defintiely worth something. The film follows the ins-and outs of the hcaracter that it is almost felt like a routine, but never really boring. It's a well cut film and Corbjin knows how to handle suspense very well, mostly through the film's soundtrack to build up each scene. It's just that while the film feels like it is building up to something, it's something that pretty much concludes in a predictable matter.

The American is a film that is a pleasant past time experience to be watch if you are up to it. Like I said, it has a slow burn that some may not be comfortable or patient with, but George Clooney and the director's chops imbue enough quality for the film that never makes it a terrible film experience. Some aspects feel inconsequential to the plot, but the overall tension tht this "low-key" film brings is just too good to ignore.

7/10
Old 07-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Gangs of New York (10/10)
Old 07-29-2011, 12:14 AM
Been a while since I've updated. So here's an update.

The Tree of Life - *** 1/2
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 2 - ***
A Better Life - *** 1/2
Larry Crowne - *** 1/2
Captain America: The First Avenger - ***
Monte Carlo - **
The Change-Up - ***

Re-watch:

Source Code - *** 1/2
Old 07-29-2011, 11:03 AM

I just don't get it.

No, this isn't my complaints on how dubious the concept is for Jon Favreau's film melding the concepts of the wild west and science fiction together, but rather how this concept was executed in such a "middle of a road" way that it almost feels a bit painful. There can be so much potential when dealing with a film such as this, directors can create a variety of creative action scenes and settings. However, there is really nothing that evokes a sense of entertainment or mystery, which this film feels adamant on making despite the fact that most viewers will be two steps ahead of the film. Add to the fact that you have great actors that almost feel as uninterested in the film as I was, and you have a fairly mediocore film.

The plot of Cowboys and Aliens follows protagonist Jake Lonergan (Daniel Craig) as he suddenly wakes up in the middle of the Arizona desert, with no idea who he is or how he got there. The only thing that he has is a metal bracelet on his arm which he can't get off. This leads Jake to head to the town of Absolution, run by ruthless cattle baron Woodrow Dolarhyde (Harrison Ford). It is here that Jake learns he is a wanted man throughout Arizona and is soon imprisoned, but not soon after is the town attacked by mysterious alien ships, leading to abduction to some of the townsfolk. This begins a journey with Jake finding out who he is, as well as the source of where the aliens have taken the people of Absolution, aided by Dolarhyde, bartender Doc (Sam Rockwell), and mysterious woman Ella Swenson (Olivia Wilde).

If one thing the movie gets right is with the opening moments of the film, where he inhabits a western film very well. There are the usual intimidating characters strutting their egos, and the one lone gunman who takes them down a peg or two. Then the "alien" aspects begin to make their apperance, and it just feels underwhleming as a whole. The aliens aren't anything special, as are the ships that are used to abduct people. Most of the money shots are in the trailers or tv spots that have been shown, so there's nothing special apart from a battle with the actual aliens and that becomes slowly repetitive.

It also doesn't help that these characters don't have any distinguishing personalities, no matter how hard these actors try to create one. Danile Craig tries to be the brooding and badass protagonist, but it all becomes stale over time. There is talk in reviews that i've read that this movie brigns the best character for Harrison Ford in years, but I don't see. He's just playing the grumpy old man that I've seen in other movies. Sam Rockwell, a fine actor, feels non-existant here, and Olivia Wilde has the unfortunate part on applying hilarious exposition to her and other characters. They are all bogged down by silly exposition for their characters that are essentially foreshadowing to their own fates. it comes to a point that where certain characters' come up to their task to act tough, their moments seem as if Favreau is nailing on the viewers' head, screaming at them to evoke some sort of enjoyable applause. Unfortunately, those moments just didn't seem earned in the midnight screening I was at, as the audience felt as limp as the characters themselves.

Then, the tires that drove to this film just become flat by the third and final act, where all these revelations of certain characters come about in the worst way possible, which can be in part to the inane decisions by five of the screenwriters for this film. A great battle leads the final act of the film, and it just seems so completely uneven in every worst way possible. Aliens that seemed impossible to kill are being taking down easily, despite the fact that there are moments where some of these aliens have weaponry that could wipe out our protagonists easily. Yes, I know, it seems like I'm nitpicking, but it just takes me even more out of the film when you have action that wasn't entertaining to begin with.

Cowobys and Aliens isn't the worst movie I've seen this year, but it certainly was a film that displayed the shortcomings that Jon Favreau can bring to some of his films. This movie tht middled as it began to go big, with limp action, characters, and direction. I was hoping that maybe there was something that i could look past and enjoy, but to no avail. It was just a film that I just didn't get how it could coast on a road of uninspiration.

5/10
Old 07-29-2011, 04:14 PM
Courier

Perestroika era film about the "new youth" of the Soviet population and how the massive influx of Westernization has an affect on these kids. Really well made

you can watch it here with English subs
Old 07-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Crazy, Stupid, Love. - 6/10
Old 07-29-2011, 05:46 PM
On Saturday (Innocent Saturday)

Bleak portrayal of the Chernobyl disaster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T-ziYr4oSg

7/10
Old 07-29-2011, 06:08 PM
loved gun 7 weird
Old 07-29-2011, 08:05 PM
The Tree of Life (6/10)
Old 07-29-2011, 08:05 PM
The Left Hand of God with Humphrey Bogart and Gene Tierney - Bogart portrays a priest who arrives at a mission in an isolated part of China. He seems to be rather unorthodox in his methods and a young nurse begins to fall for him. There are a couple of twists that make this an interesting story and Bogart and Tierney always make for entertaining viewing. 7/10

Salome with Rita Hayworth and Charles Laughton - Hayworth is a fantastic choice to play Salome and Laughton is wonderfully creepy as King Herod. They did make John the Baptist seem like a bit of a nut but that could be a good thing depending on your view. The Dance of the Seven Veils alone is worth watching this - Hayworth looks amazing. 7/10

Romance on the High Seas with Doris Day - A musical romantic comedy with Day hired to pretend to be a society woman in a plot to catch a cheating husband. There are a lot of mistaken identities and other similar humorous misunderstandings in this one. Day is a good singer but the songs are mostly forgettable. 6/10
Old 07-29-2011, 08:42 PM
Rango

Not just a terrific CG-animated movie with all the quirky characters, outrageous sight gags and clever risqué in-jokes that make the best of them excel for the widest range of people, but it’s also a brilliant sendup of spaghetti westerns especially for the film geeks. Verbinski scores big time on all counts. Some of the creative visuals and spiffy shot compositions of dusty desert towns and arid landscapes look like they would’ve been at home in a Leone movie, and even the usual cute and cuddly animals are just as ugly, weathered, and rotten-looking as the average background player in Good, Bad & Ugly. Coupled with a score that called to mind Once Upon A Time In The West’s harmonica theme, it’s a loving homage to Leone’s mythic worlds while Depp’s manically multi-talented voice work keeps the comedic edge sharp for its contemporary animated niche. And the completely random but welcome Fear & Loathing reference was just… well, too damn cool.

-> 9/10
Old 07-29-2011, 09:35 PM

7/10
Old 07-29-2011, 09:41 PM
I watched Reservoir Dogs again. This has probably been answered before, but I'll ask anyways. Who shoots Nice Guy Eddie at the end, if you look carefully no one is pointing a gun at Nice Guy; unless it was Mr. Pink but he was hiding under the ramp.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename 47 View Post
I watched Reservoir Dogs again. This has probably been answered before, but I'll ask anyways. Who shoots Nice Guy Eddie at the end, if you look carefully no one is pointing a gun at Nice Guy; unless it was Mr. Pink but he was hiding under the ramp.
I've always wondered this myself actually. I have come to one of two conclusions.
A) It was Mr. Pink

or

B) It was supposed to be Mr. White, but they only did one take of the scene, and Harvey Keitel failed to aim at both of them.

I'd like to think it's A.. because B would damage the continuity of the scene.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:22 PM
expendables[2010]

3.5/5

dumb fun. I love the machine shot gun type weapon
Old 07-29-2011, 11:47 PM

9/10
Closed Thread