Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Sanjuro - Essentially a sequel to Yojimbo but with a bit more humor. Toshiro Mifune is again excellent as the wandering samurai that helps a local clan fight a corrupt leader. 8/10

Reflections in a Golden Eye with Marlon Brando and Elizabeth Taylor - The story of several characters living on a military base in the 1940's. The film is slowly paced but the characters are all interesting enough to keep one's attention. Taylor was my favorite - it helped that she looks as beautiful as ever. The ending was a little odd but I suppose it fits with Brando's character. 8/10

Sidewalks of London with Charles Laughton and Vivien Leigh - The teaming up of a lowly busker with a pickpocket until one of them has a chance to join the stage and have a legitimate career. Laughton is entertaining and Leigh looked so cute. The story was a little weird at times but it was fun. 7/10

Alchemy - Sarah Chalke and Tom Cavanaugh in one of the dumbest films I have ever seen. Stay far away from this one. 2/10
Old 08-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Forrest Gump[1994]

5/5

a great movie with a even better use of classic rock tunes
Old 08-06-2011, 10:21 PM

The Perfect Game(2010)-6/10
Old 08-06-2011, 11:30 PM
SUPER 8

Hoolllly fuck, where to begin? This is an absolute mess of a flick, and I swear to God excessive CGI is a hinderance and detriment to movies. I wish practical effects EMBELLISHED by CGI were the norm.

There was an exorbitant amount of lens flare - I would wager 99% not-real at that - in STAR TREK, but I was able to enjoy the fuck outta that movie. It wasn't until the fifth or sixth viewing that noticing the flare so much started becoming an eyestrain to me.
Well, with SUPER 8, it's used so excessively that I started going bug eyed. I got a "falsified lens flare" overload within the first 20 minutes.

Then there's the typical and overly predictable plot contrivances that are supposed to be used as a dramatic tool; death of the lead kids' mother, holding a locket (and "refusing to let go"; let's not be subtle, shall we?) - even showing incessant closeups of the locket just to make sure the audience catches on that THIS IS AN IMPORTANT ITEM and assumes we're too stupid to pay attention and get reminded of this locket every 5 fucking minutes; in extreme closeup.
The "Chekov's Gun" placements are all over the fucking place.
So the pain of losing a loved one, coupled with a distant father who can't connect to his child - and an added bonus of a different character from a broken home with a misunderstanding father as well - all add up to consistent eye-rolling idiocacy. These are unresolved scenarios that are meant to be solved within the third act, but the predictability and lazy setup leads to an unemotional and contrived conclusion.

I was not amused by the "comedy". I found the excessive CGI and unreliable realism more hilarious than the so-called comedic breaks.
Also, I don't care that you don't state the year it takes place directly, but how many times do we have to be reminded of the time by having the kids sing a popular song; a kid using a "new technology" called a walkman; recent movie posters on bedroom walls; Rubik's cube; other mundane and annoying shit that's supposed to be like "oh, wow, haha how quaint. That's right that was new and/or used a lot back then!"

The lack of tension building was frustrating as well. Not once was I tense or nervous. Actually, even the startle-scares were boring and predictable after the first one or two major attempts.

What did I think was good about this movie? Not much. I am very angry over this pile of contrived bullshit. Cheap, predictable, and very full of itself. It wants so hard to be Spielberg - and in many ways it succeeds. I mean, I feel about the same way about lots of Steven's crap as well. Especially like WAR OF THE WORLDS. So maybe Abrams did it right.

3/10
Old 08-06-2011, 11:54 PM
Cars 2 - 3/10
Old 08-07-2011, 01:46 AM
Tabloid- 8/10

One of the first very good films I've seen this year.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:03 AM
Paradise Lost - 7/10

Paradise Lost 2 7/10

Meek's Cutoff - 7.5/10

That rating's probably going to go higher once I get the chance to see it again though. In a perfect world this would get an Oscar nod for cinematography.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:11 AM
Rise of the Planet Apes - ***
New York City Serenade - ***

New York City Serenade was a pleasant surprise. A surprisingly good tale of a friendship between two guys. And man, both Chris Klein and Freddie Prinze Jr have improved as actors IMMENSELY. They are both actually terrific in the movie.

Re-watch:

American Wedding - ***

Last edited by ilovemovies; 08-09-2011 at 03:15 AM..
Old 08-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Strangeland - 7/10
Aside from the numerous continuity errors and laughable makeup at the end it's entertaining.

The Beaver - 9/10
Old 08-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Twilight-1/10
Old 08-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Meek's Cutoff

Old 08-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Mr Popper's Penguins - 6/10
Old 08-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Red Hill (7/10)

The Mechanic (6/10
Old 08-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Limitless - 6/10
Old 08-07-2011, 03:05 PM
How Green Was My Valley - 7/10

This is a good film, but not better than Citizen Kane. I haven't seen every film nominated for Best Picture that year, but so far I would place this film last.

The Grapes Of Wrath is the far superior film.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:03 PM
The Lincoln Lawyer - 7/10
Old 08-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Jackass 3D 8/10. I always crack in these movies, these guys are crazy lmaoo!!!

R.I.P Ryan Dunn
Old 08-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Junebug - Amy Adams was the obvious highlight here - her character was so sweet and naive. Very well played by her. The rest of the film was decent but nothing special. 7/10

The Island - This film started pretty well but devolved into an unintelligible mess by the time McGregor and Johansson escaped. Damn you Scarlett for being such a perfect vision of beauty that I will watch any crappy movie you star in. 4/10

Tape - A film about a conversation between three former high school classmates about one fateful night ten years earlier. Ethan Hawke did a really good job but the other two were pretty boring. There are much better films of this sort (My Dinner With Andre comes to mind) but it wasn't entirely without merit. 5/10
Old 08-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Game of Thrones

Outside the LOTR trilogy, I’m not a fan of swords and sorcery epics. But this is one such case that doesn’t just defy convention, it drunkenly pisses on its boots and laughs long and hearty at convention’s pussy reaction. And for that, and how much more it made me think, feel, laugh, and just emotionally react in general through its brilliantly paced ten hours, it more than earns its keep. In some ways, it’s much like many fantasy yarns of the past, but the adherence to a relative realism and medieval brutality in the face of its fantastical trappings helps ground it in a way that makes it seem like a sorta ahistorical historical epic in the vein of HBO’s Rome. The ensemble performances are what awards are made of, and while most of them have been overlooked by the Emmy crowd, I’m just ecstatic that Peter Dinklage got a much-deserved nod as my favorite character, the lecherous “little lord” Tyrion Lannister. The scene where he bitchslaps his spoiled cunt of a nephew like the little bitch he is was so awesome it almost made me burst into spontaneous applause. But this show achieved greatness by some of the most daring and shocking storytelling choices ever devised in a genre that’s usually prone to cliché and hamfisted theatrics, and there’s such a congenital rebellious streak in George R.R. Martin’s writing that it catapults this well above traditional fare where the villains often triumph and the heroes have to be a little underhanded to survive. If I have any advice for those who haven’t seen this yet – do not read up on any potential spoiler material. You’ll either thank me or hate me later. If there’s any justice, likely both.

-> 10/10
Old 08-07-2011, 08:47 PM

7/10

9/10
Old 08-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Blitz - 7/10
Old 08-07-2011, 11:05 PM
Twilight New Moon-1/10
Old 08-07-2011, 11:21 PM
braveheart[1995]

4/5

a great epic thats drags a little bit. the score is even better then the movie
Old 08-07-2011, 11:22 PM

Ironclad(2011)-7/10
Old 08-08-2011, 08:32 AM

The Mechanic
7/10
Old 08-08-2011, 08:38 AM

Heading to Vegas next week. Getting myself amped up. I've seen this many times, but anyways...

8.5/10
Old 08-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Kung Fu Panda 2 - 7/10
Captain America (2011) - 7/10
Drive Angry - 5/10
Old 08-08-2011, 05:33 PM

Road To Nowhere - 7/10

It's flawed but it's also by far the most engrossing movie I've seen all year. Anyone into digital filmmaking will have to see this since it's the first feature length movie shot exclusively on the Canon 5D. The story is multi-layered, involving the production of a movie based on a true crime involving a couple who stole millions before dying. The twist is that the couple actually faked their deaths, and the unknown actress cast in the main role bears such a striking resemblance to the person she's playing that people think she really is the same woman. It doesn't help that the movie regularly cuts between the making of the movie, scenes from the actual movie, the real people the movie is based on (who are portrayed by the same actors that play the fictional versions) and two people watching the finished movie. It's very confusing, but that's the point. You could classify Road To Nowhere as a puzzle movie where none of the characters have enough pieces to put anything together. The fragmented script and editing put you in the same place as all of the characters and for the most part it works. I can't deny that Road To Nowhere is flawed but it's a good little Lynchian thriller/noir and one of the most underrated movies of the year.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Hobo With A Shotgun

From my favorite grindhouse trailer of 2007 to feature-length exploitation extravaganza, it suffers much the same fate in translation as Machete when its thin premise is put to the full-length test. Part of the problem is actually Rutger Hauer, who puts in a solid performance. Which, despite usual common sense, is antithetical to what made the trailer so fucking hilarious. I mean, David Brunt was a no-name guy who was paid for his work in cigarettes (the universal currency of the Maratime provinces, as any Atlantic Canadian knows), and his bad acting was what made it so contagiously funny. However shitty a lot of Hauer’s movies have been over the years, he’s arguably too credible an actor to do this character justice, his soft-spoken, mostly grim stoicism making some of Brunt’s better lines fall flatter than they should, ie. “I’m gonna sleep in your bloody carcasses, to-NIGHT!” Though he does give additional scenes some dramatic weight where you’d least expect it with so much tongue-in-cheek dialogue, such as in his relationship with a hooker with a heart of gold. And like Stallone and Dolph, Hauer can still handle himself in an action scene at his age, reveling in the outrageous violence pushing the limits of bad taste that was promised on paper. On that score, Eisener outdid himself, and the movie narrowly succeeds with that alone. But with a more pronounced sense of humor like that of its namesake trailer, it could’ve been so much more entertaining.

-> 6/10
Old 08-08-2011, 08:44 PM

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - 8/10

Best big release of the summer, other than maybe HP. Why can't more summer blockbusters have scripts this good? Other than the final act, there is little action to be found and generally that would be a downfall for a film like this. Fortunately, it has an interesting story, some great characters, an emotional punch and even a few laughs. That's a combination that so many blockbusters have trouble mixing. Andy Serkis deserves some kind of honorary award for his amazing accomplishments in this film and in others. What he does is incredibly difficult and he deserves more recognition. Franco may not exactly be the most believable scientist, but his emotional connection to Caesar is what is important, and he certainly nailed that. Freida Pinto doesn't have much to work with at all and probably could have been left out. John Lithgow gave a terrific portrayal as an Alzheimer's patient and his scenes with Caesar were filled with genuine emotion. Tom Felton's character is a little one-dimensional, but Felton plays it perfectly. I have a feeling this guy has a great acting career ahead of him. The biggest success, however, is the script. It has incredible rhythm and pacing, solid dialogue and decent character development (Caesar especially). A story like this could easily go downhill quickly, but they nail each plot point and never make it too ridiculous or convoluted. I also must comment on the WETA technology. It has to be the best use of it yet that I can think of. The biggest complaint about the technology that I have had is that it just doesn't properly capture emotion. Well, they fucking nailed it here. Without the brilliant use of this technology, I don't think the film would have been as engaging and emotional as it was. My rating may actually be a tad higher, but I'll wait for now to see how it holds up on re-watches. I have a feeling it will hold up well. It just has too good of a rhythm to not hold up well.

Last edited by Bourne101; 08-08-2011 at 08:47 PM..
Old 08-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Metropolis
Wilbur (wants to kill himself)
Old 08-08-2011, 11:57 PM
Cynthia with Elizabeth Taylor - The story of a teenage girl who has led a sheltered life and has her first crush. It was decent but there was nothing that really stood out. 5/10

Vice Squad with Edward G Robinson and Paulette Goddard - A day in the life of a police captain. It was pretty interesting to see Robinson solve the crimes - especially the kidnapping which was quite suspenseful. 7/10
Old 08-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Over the last week or so

Hobo with a shotgun - 8/10

Anuvahood - 5/10

The firm 7/10

Braindead - 3/10
Old 08-09-2011, 03:21 PM
The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick, 2011)

Beautiful film, I'm gonna go with 8/10. Wonderful work from the two child actors too.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Super 8 - That 70's Goonies show meet the E.T. that didnt get his Reese's 5.5/10

Mega Python VS Gatoroids - Shoot me now! The only good thing i remember is that i really really wanna motorboat Tiffany's rack. 2/10
Old 08-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Elephant White

There are times when straight-to-DVD movies honestly make me wonder why they’ve been shortchanged and rushed out to the shelf without a decent theatrical run. This… is not one of those times. Aside from an amusing Kevin Bacon performance as a slippery British arms dealer and Djimon Hounsou using his imposing frame and intimidating baritone to kick ass and talk smack in equal measure to Thai sex slavers in need of major attitude re-adjustment, it’s really nothing more than an excuse to watch Hounsou snipe and beat the shit out of guys for about an hour and a half. Which is fun, but it’s not really a movie. Then there’s a strange spiritual arc overlaid on top that it feels like the filmmaker thought he was being more profound by embracing the eastern mysticism of Ong-Bak. Which doesn’t disguise the fact that this is still a basic, if sometimes entertaining, action flick, nothing more, nothing less, and without the amazing stunts of Tony Jaa to distract you from that. Hounsou does prove that he’s far too talented to be hanging around in Steven Seagal Country.

-> 5/10
Old 08-09-2011, 09:31 PM
La Dolce Vita - Marcello Mastroianni was fantastic as a journalist in Italy who tries to make sense of the chaos around him while searching for love. The images were beautiful as well. 9/10
Old 08-09-2011, 10:55 PM

The Smurfs(2011)-6/10
Old 08-09-2011, 11:33 PM
License to Kill[1989]

2.5/5

a ok Bond movie with a very dull James Bond. Dalton did not impress me. The final chase was nifty
Old 08-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacaskill View Post
Junebug - Amy Adams was the obvious highlight here - her character was so sweet and naive. Very well played by her. The rest of the film was decent but nothing special. 7/10
As brilliant as Adams is in this, I think Embeth Davidtz deserves a mention also. I would have nominated her alongside Adams at the oscars. That was such a weak category that year.
Closed Thread