Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:47 PM

Kung Fu Panda 2(2011)-7/10
Old 06-01-2011, 11:11 PM

An almost direct remake on a previous film can be a kiss of death for directors, especially for films that have been out for a good year or two. For Matt Reeves, director of Cloverfield and possibly a lesser known film The Pallbearer, he decided to take on the Swedish film Let the RIght One In, a vampire film that was based on a novel, which came out in 2008. Now, while this has all the signs of a train wreck, Reeves managed to put his own visual panache and clean up some of the original's faults to make a solid, leaner, if a bit inferior version of the film's work.

For those who have not seen the original work, the film follows a boy Owen (Kodi Smit-Mcphee), a young reclusive boy whose parents are divorced and is a constant target for bullying. One day, while watching neighbors in his apartment complex, he notices new tenants arriving at the apartment, a girl his age and a older man (Richard Jenkins). Over time, Owen begins to develop a close relationship with the girl, whose name is Abby (Chloe Mortez). However, unbeknownst to Owen yet, Abby is actually a vampire who has begun attacking people around the apartment, leading a police detective (Elias Koteas) to begin investigating these murders.

The highest regard that Matt Reeves can be given towards creating a remake of the pretty dark Swedish version was keeping that mean streak that was also prevalent in the original, perhaps even going a bit further in places. He knew when to cut corners, and what worked in the original version and what didn't. For one thing, the Owen/Abby relationship is excellent in this film, with Mcphee and Mortez delivering excellent performances for kids their age. Mcphee as Owen is a bit more tone down to the almost psychotic Oskar from the original, but it is definitely for the better. He's much more relatable due to his isolation, as well as the growing problems that arise as the film continues and he tries to reach out to his neglectful parents. As for the character of Abby, Chole Morte shows that her Hit Girl persona in Matthew Vaughn's Kick-Ass is no fluke, and that this girl can act. She brings a more tragic persona to the character in the remake, while also showing that she is truly falling of Owen, to which the original always had this underlying feeing that the character Eli was always using Owen from the start. They are pretty small changes, but each version is still equally solid regardless of the version that you would see. As for knowing what didn't work, Reeves keeps the pretty lacking subplots from the original and gives them more focus with the police detective searching for Abby. Elias Koteas is solid as usual as the gruff detective that is on the trail of murders that Abby begins to leave behind.

As for keeping the things that did work, Reeves either follows the original's style or simply makes his own unique way of presenting a certain scene from the original. The result is some pretty creative scenes, one involving a shot of car crash inside a car, that looks pretty damn impressive. However, while Reeves can put his own creative spin on the original, it must be said that this almost follows the same steps as the original. So, while it is still a surprisingly good remake, the original has already brought the groundwork and despite some flaws is still a bit superior due to a fairly larger scope in its landscapes, while Reeves seems a bit more closed in with its scope, though thats probably how the director wanted it.

Let Me in is that once in a blue moon remake that comes along and surprisingly is a solid piece of filmmaking. It may follow the original film a little close to the chest, but some small changes can make all the difference and produce nearly a superior remake.

8.5/10
Old 06-02-2011, 12:29 AM
Red Hill

8/10

Cedar Rapids

8.5/10

Last edited by Canto; 06-02-2011 at 12:36 AM..
Old 06-02-2011, 02:27 AM
John Carpenter's The Ward - 7/10
Old 06-02-2011, 05:10 AM
He Got Game (8/10)
Old 06-02-2011, 10:16 AM
on bluray

7/10
Old 06-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Hachiko Monogatari - 8/10
Old 06-02-2011, 12:02 PM

Neds - 10/10
Wow.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Pre-release
Beginners (2010)
Super 8 (2011)
X-Men: First Class

Post-release
Memories (1995) B
Old 06-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Monsters

Didn't watch it today but it is the last film i saw.

I'm hoping to be inspired on the message board....

http://cinephile-wannabe.blogspot.com/
Old 06-02-2011, 02:45 PM
first time viewing just finished on bluray

7/10
Old 06-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syxxpac View Post
Thor

Marvelís lesser-known immortal arc welder of the stars, brought to you by Kenneth Branagh, a learned man so versed in the Shakespearean mythos that he delivers a comic book movieís broader well-tread themes of hubris and redemption with the same respectful pathos as he would any of his more ďseriousĒ epics. Itís a gamble, but it pays off in another win for the growing Avengers stable, laying the popcorn frills and wit of an Iron Man on top of that well-read foundation to give it the right balance as a summer movie with weight. Chris Hemsworth definitely has the presence and star quality needed to bring the God of Thunder to life, though Iíll have to see more from him to know if he has any real staying power in the Hollywood main event. Natalie Portman meanwhile comes off her Oscar win with a much-deserved break in an undemanding role that lets her put her hair down, but much props to Tim Hiddleston as the mischievous Loki, a fantastic performance by any standard that commands the screen quite distinctly amid a cavalcade of established talent like Hopkins, Portman, Elba, Russo, Skarsgard and Stevenson. Whereíd this guy come from, anyway?

-> 7/10

... ... Wait. What's a twinko twonko?
Your review suggests a much better rating than a C. What were your thoughts that lead you to that...?
Old 06-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Space View Post
Your review suggests a much better rating than a C. What were your thoughts that lead you to that...?
Overall, it wasn't as entertaining as Iron Man (which I give an 8/10), but it was a respectable runner-up, so a 7/10 isn't a brushoff by any means. It just wasn't quite as engaging on a human level in terms of the love story (if you want to stretch it that far) between Thor and Jane as it obviously aimed at being, plus Thor himself - whether because of Hemsworth or just the simplicity of the character itself - is just not as interesting to me as Tony Stark or even the rebooted Bruce Banner in Incredible Hulk. Plus, on a nitpicker note, the Avengers references are starting to interfere with these individual stories, in this case making Thor's moment in the spotlight look like just another stop along the way toward The Avengers, the REAL main event, or so the studio makes it feel like. Also a problem I had with Iron Man 2 where the buildup started getting overt, even if it is a petty criticism on my part.

But of course, I like to keep my thoughts as whittled down as possible when I can, depending on my mood, so I neglected to get into all that and let my rating pick up some slack. But a C? I haven't calculated the comparison myself between the two rating scales, but a "C" seems a bit steep for my 7/10, which is probably closer to "B", which is a score I stick by, but pending rewatches, as a high 7 it could easily be bumped to an 8. Then again, never trust my ratings at face value, they change too frequently at times to be considered a true gauge of my opinion. I'm shifty like'at. My thoughts themselves are usually the best indication...
Old 06-02-2011, 05:27 PM
I'm about to watch

Before the Heat/Mavs game starts at 9....
Old 06-02-2011, 07:50 PM
I Saw The Devil - 9/10

Last edited by God of War; 06-03-2011 at 09:54 AM..
Old 06-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Prospero's Books - 10/10
Old 06-02-2011, 08:43 PM

Jonah Hex
5/10
Old 06-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Heaven Can Wait with Don Ameche and Gene Tierney - This film is completely unrelated to the Warren Beatty film of the same name. In this one Ameche tells the tale of his life to a sort of receptionist to Hell. He has led a rather sordid life including stealing Tierney from his cousin and subsequently cheating on her. It's a pretty solid film with many fine performances. The costumes are also particularly noteworthy. 7/10

Steel Magnolias - Sally Field was probably the best part of this film but there were a lot of impressive performances - Julia Roberts is a notable exception and I really don't like her acting anyway. The relationships between the characters felt strong and genuine and there were some funny moments as well from people like Shirley MacLaine and Tom Skerritt. 7/10
Old 06-03-2011, 12:15 AM

The Illusionist(2010)-6/10
Old 06-03-2011, 10:03 AM
on bluray

8/10
Old 06-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Children of Men - 9.5/10
Old 06-03-2011, 01:29 PM

7/10
Old 06-03-2011, 01:48 PM

8/10
Old 06-03-2011, 03:15 PM

9/10
Old 06-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1980 View Post

9/10
*Could insert Perv Related quote, but no*
Old 06-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Stake Land - 7/10
Some moments of excellence but mostly it's just pretty good. It does have a fantastic score.

Last edited by Cronos; 06-04-2011 at 05:24 AM..
Old 06-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagia_Romero View Post
*Could insert Perv Related quote, but no*
oh go ahead LOL
Old 06-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Quote:
oh go ahead LOL
Haha, I don't want to shock the kids at home.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagia_Romero View Post
Haha, I don't want to shock the kids at home.

what kids
Old 06-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Quote:
what kids
Old 06-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackassFan View Post

Neds - 10/10
Wow.
I initially gave it a 9/10, but the fact that this film crops up in my daily thoughts prompts me to think that a re-watch and a reassessment is needed.

Such a powerful piece of work, and as I mentioned in my last post, the scene with the statue of Jesus was just superb...trippy, incredible and utterly memorable.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Sweet Smell of Success

7/10
Old 06-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Hereafter

Clintís had an uneven output since his phenomenal Letters From Iwo Jima, and this film is no different. Itís about ten or fifteen minutes too long, but I still really liked a lot of what it brought to the table. Most of it is my admiration of Eastwood as a brave director for constantly taking chances with challenging subject matter, in this case tackling the theme of death and the mystery of the afterlife without once devolving into dogmatic drivel. Itís frank in its execution and entirely character-driven, which works in its favor despite some pacing issues, though even Clint canít quite keep his focus juggling the narrative threads of reclusive former psychic Matt Damon, reborn through death French reporter Cecile de France, and the impressive show from twin newcomers George and Frankie McLaren as brothers whose bond is severed by tragic circumstance. You know these three threads will eventually meet in the final act, but getting there takes some patience and leaves a lot of [mind the phrasing] dead space.

-> 6/10
Old 06-03-2011, 09:23 PM
A Guy Named Joe with Spencer Tracy, Van Johnson, and Irene Dunne - Tracy plays a WWI pilot who dies in action and is sent back to help a young pilot (Johnson) in his training. It is a little sappy and verbose at times but there is some fine acting. I also liked Lionel Barrymore as the General in the afterlife that commands his own troops to help the living. 7/10

How to Train Your Dragon - This was actually really good. I wasn't expecting such a rich story. Some really good voiceacting and the animation was excellent. The dragon's all had their own personalities too and were really fun and sometimes goofy. 8/10

Analyze This - I really liked Robert DeNiro in this and it's probably one of his last really good roles. Lisa Kudrow annoyed me but at least she wasn't as big a part of the story as she could have been. There's some funny stuff especially from DeNiro and his subordinate Jelly. I've seen that guy in many gangster movies and he always does a good job in supporting roles. 7/10
Old 06-04-2011, 12:15 AM

(7.5/10)

For what is worth this movie redeem itself after the disaster that The Last Stand and to an extend Xmen Origin: Wolverine. the reason i rated so low was because literally and figuratively speaking the writers re-wrote history with this movie since, in a way, this is a 'reboot' of sort, with that being said it was good for what it was; this was all about the friendship of 2 of the most powerful mutant on the planet and how they became the men of today..one know as Professor X and the other Magneto...i was hoping for some kind of "easter egg" at the end of the movie but it didn't happen..there was an character that made a cameo while both of them were 'recruiting' mutants..for a 2 1/2 hour(?) movie it didnt feel that long and i think that was in part to Matthew Vaughn..it did answer some questions like how xavier became paralyze from the waist down and at the same time it left you scratching your head and asking new questions because-depending on what you know about the history of the xmen-it doesnt make sense to what happen in the previous movies...i think both michael fassbender(sp?) and James Mcavoy(sp?) did splendid jobs in their respective role as they also had such great chemistry with each other that it show on screen
Old 06-04-2011, 01:22 AM

From Prada to Nada(2011)-3/10
Old 06-04-2011, 01:35 AM
Elephant White - **

This movie starts so fucking bad that I almost immediately lost interest. Though it improves a bit in the second half, it's still a clunky, convoluted, amateurishly directed and badly acted mess of a movie. Djimon Hounsou is a good actor with a magnetic screen presence but, try as he might, not even he can save the movie. And this HAS to be the worst performance in Kevin Bacon's career. He's pretty terrible in this.

Re-watch:

X-Men - ***

Getting ready to see X-Men: First Class which I'll be seeing tomorrow. Can't wait.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:51 AM
Hall Pass - 6/10 - It had some laugh out loud moments, but unfortunately didn't know when to end and dragged itself out about 10 more minutes than it needed to be.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:36 AM

7/10
Old 06-04-2011, 10:38 AM
The Woman - 9/10
A return of the Lucky McKee that gave us May.
Closed Thread