Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
Just finished [Blitz] two minutes ago. I liked it a lot. I wish Statham would have taken his shirt off, rolled himself in oil and spin-kicked 6 guys standing in a circle, but hey - nothing's perfect, right?

7/10
Hope you're not a dude hahahaha

Give Em Hell Malone (2009)

Entertaining little flick. I'm a sucker for noir movie but this one doesn't take itself too seriously. Thomas Jane is having a blast playing Malone. Great popcorn movie.

7.5/10

Last edited by Dirtyfrog; 09-03-2011 at 11:56 PM.. Reason: not enough butter on my popcorn
Old 09-04-2011, 02:45 AM
You Can Count On Me - 8/10
Old 09-04-2011, 04:22 AM
Blitz - **

I found this movie to be morally repugnant and Jason Statham's character is completely unlikeable. It's like they took his character from Cellular and expected us to actually want to root for this guy. But more often than not he's really just a thug. That said the movie wasn't boring although I was surprised by the lack of action of this movie. The only times in this movie where Statham gets to kick ass are the scenes that make him look like a thug and a bully. There's a moderately diverting chase scene but that's basically it when it comes to action.

Last edited by ilovemovies; 09-04-2011 at 06:26 AM..
Old 09-04-2011, 05:18 AM
Stakeout - 7/10

How has this movie eluded me for so many years? I enjoyed the hell out of it. Dreyfuss is on his game although I wish Estevez had more to do. A bit above average for your typical 80's mainstream fare.

Back to School - 7/10

One of the funniest comedies of the 80's. Sharp spitfire humor that doesn't stop. Dangerfield is missed.

Pecker - 7.5/10

Quite stranger than I remember, but holds up well. Feels like a companion piece to Waters' Hairspray in a way. I enjoyed the funny, pointed observations about acceptance and the state of the art world.

Horrible Bosses - 6/10

Not nearly as funny as they pre-release hype would suggest, but probably the best comedy I've seen from this years crop of disappointments. If you're not a fan of Charlie Day, he can wear on your nerves. I think the aspect that kept this from reaching greater heights was the fact that all three main characters are just plain stupid. The more I think about it, I like it less.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:10 AM
Laura - 8/10
Loser cop wants to play hide the sausage with a corpse and a crime scene without a single drop of blood after the victim takes a double barrel to the face.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:30 AM
RED STATE

Wow. Just... wow. I have given up on Kevin Smith. He has always been on the verge of greatness, but then falls short. Time and time again. However, his last two outings have been despicable.

3/10
Old 09-04-2011, 11:11 AM
A Star Is Born ('54) - 3/10
Old 09-04-2011, 05:18 PM

Lost In Translation 8/10

A beautiful film, but not quite the modern masterpiece I have heard people call it. Maybe if I could relate to their feeling of isolation in a foreign country I would appreciate it more. Incredible performances by both of the leads, especially from Scarlett Johansson who was apparently around 17 or 18 when this was shot? Wow. Murray was excellent too and definitely has some LOL moments throughout. My favorite being his cry for help on the elliptical. I really loved the ending too, perfect.

Rope 9/10

One of Hitchcock's most underrated films in my opinion.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Barefoot

Til Schweiger as a director.

7/10

Red State

I prefer Kevin Smith to be doing comedies, but this does show he can branch out.

5/10
Old 09-04-2011, 05:49 PM
I re-watched Atonement. I've only seen it once and that was around the time that it was first released. I liked it a lot when I first watched but I enjoyed a lot more the second time around.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Priest (6/10)
Not as bad as its made out to be by some. There were some creepy, well-executed moments and the story was entertaining enough. The visuals were quite stunning in places too. It's just really forgettable. It's already fading from my mind and I only saw it yesterday. But I didn't think it was bad. Some of the more scathing reviews are a bit over-the-top.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:09 PM
The Future - 5/10
Old 09-04-2011, 10:00 PM
watched back on Sept 1

8/10
Old 09-04-2011, 10:06 PM

The Hangover - 7.2/10
Old 09-04-2011, 10:11 PM
THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER SOLD

Although it wasn't particularly insightful or thought-provoking, it was fun to watch and I had some good laughs.
It's also an interesting concept for a documentary; does selling your documentary about product placement to companies that place their products within the movie industry warrant the title "hypocrite", or is it further strengthening the ridiculousness of the entire theme?

Either way, there isn't much thought involved watching this and it hasn't changed my life one way or the other. It's just fun.

7/10
Old 09-04-2011, 10:20 PM
http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content...01-535x356.jpg

6/10

Meh, a alright movie if nothing to do but I wouldn't really recommend it beyond that.

Last edited by John@$$; 09-04-2011 at 10:24 PM..
Old 09-04-2011, 10:28 PM
The Maltese Falcon (John Huston, 1941) A+
Definitely one of the best mystery films I've ever seen. It kept me guessing on many different occasions regarding many different plot points. Humphrey Bogart has a great on-screen presence that really adds to films he's in, and I think few actors can really do that for me (Robert Downey, Jr. is one of the more modern actors with a presence like that as is George Clooney). No matter what material they're given, they can entertain just by delivering lines.

Zodiac (David Fincher, 2007) A+
Very good movie. Probably one of the best serial killer films I've seen, and possibly the best Fincher film I've seen so far. The performances are great, and I couldn't look away. I was glued to this film from start to finish. I never even bothered to continually check how much time was left, which I usually catch myself doing. My only problems are that the characters are almost always working and not doing much else so they're not really fleshed out, and the film skips ahead so much that it's hard to keep track of what point you are at in time, plus it never really feels like much time has passed to begin with. Still, it's a cool look at a notorious crime spree and I enjoyed nearly every moment of it.

The Expendables (Sylvester Stallone, 2010) B
It's cheesy, it's stupid, it's over-the-top, but goddamn is it entertaining. I love me some Jason Statham, and the ensemble cast as a whole works great. The "actors" have chemistry between them you don't usually see in action films like this. The dialogue is terrible, but in a fun way, and the blood looks so fake you'll almost enjoy it. I look forward to the sequel next summer which is supposed to have Jean-Claude Van Damme and Chuck Norris join the team (they still need Kurt Russell, though).
Old 09-04-2011, 10:47 PM
The Crimson Pirate with Burt Lancaster - A tongue in cheek swashbuckler with some exceptional visuals and fight scenes. The story isn't very deep but everything else is well done. Lancaster is fantastic as the lead and he is obviously incredibly athletic to be able to pull off some of those moves. 7/10

The Racketeer with Carole Lombard - Lombard is an ex-socialite who needs money to help her alcoholic lover recover. A gangster offers to help in order to win her love. Pretty simple story and outside of Lombard there aren't really any noteworthy performances either. 5/10

Stan Helsing - Poor Leslie Nielsen. What did he do to deserve this? It's sad that this was one of his last films. The only half decent actor was Diora Baird (who looked fantastic in that Indian costume) - everyone else was either an amateur or Kenan Thompson and I'm not sure which is worse. 2/10
Old 09-05-2011, 12:19 AM
The Dark Knight 9/10
Nightmare on elm street (original) 7/10
Jaws 9/10
Old 09-05-2011, 09:30 AM
DRESSED TO KILL (1980)

De Palma is realllly hit or miss for me. This is another miss.

3/10
Old 09-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Harry Brown

7/10

This is a pretty decent UK Film with Michael Caine kicking some drug dealer ass vigilante style! Definitely worth a watch on Netflix.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:44 AM

All Night Long

A few cool scenes, about the music for the most part. 7/10
Old 09-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post

Red State

I prefer Kevin Smith to be doing comedies, but this does show he can branch out.

5/10
Is it a Devil's Rejects ripoff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
DRESSED TO KILL (1980)

De Palma is realllly hit or miss for me. This is another miss.

3/10
That's a Psycho ripoff. Check Blow Out. DePalma's finest and if you enjoy cult films check The Phantom of Paradise. Released a year before The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Stake Land 8/10
Curling 5/10
Outside The Law 7/10
Old 09-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Talk To Her - 8/10

I'm hankering to see The Skin I Live In and I'm actually in Spain at the moment, but none of the cinemas have eng. subtitles on the film. I've never seen a film by Pedro, so I started here tonight. I'm following up with Bad Education and Woman on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown.

Last edited by viceus; 09-05-2011 at 09:04 PM..
Old 09-05-2011, 06:48 PM
The India Rubber Head - 10/10
The Melomaniac - 10/10
The Voyage Across The Impossible - 10/10
Can never go wrong with Georges Melies.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightAngel View Post
Is it a Devil's Rejects ripoff?
I didn't even think about that, but since you bring it up I can't help it but notice the similarities. Insane...
Spoiler:
in the membrane
Old 09-05-2011, 08:02 PM
The Final Destination - 2/10
The Adjustment Bureau - 6/10 The premise was good but the ending was the most cliched load of crap
Old 09-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Shanghai Express with Marlene Dietrich - The story of a train trip during a civil war in China The cinematography was really incredible in this one - I loved the black and white and use of shadows and such. Dietrich was impeccable as always - this time playing a notorious woman known as Shanghai Lily who is still recovering from a broken heart and then meets her former lover on the train. It's a fairly simple but compelling story and I highly recommend this one. 9/10

Five Star Final with Edward G Robinson - A tabloid newspaper digs up the location of a female murderer who has since moved and changed her name - her neighbors and daughter don't know about her past. The film deals with the fallout for everyone involved as well. The ending speech that Robinson gives to everyone at the paper is remarkable and the buildup is nearly as good. 8/10
Old 09-05-2011, 08:42 PM
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Stanley Kramer, 1963) A+
I went into this one expecting it to be boring and for the humor to be dated, but wow was I wrong. This is one of the most fun comedies I've seen in a really long time. The ensemble cast is great, especially Mickey Rooney and Buddy Hackett as two comedy writers who get into the funniest of the situations in the film. It's a long film, especially for a comedy, but it's still enjoyable all the way through. I'm probably gonna look for the original cut of the film, which is three and a half hours long.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:59 PM
The Beaver

Great. Now what are they gonna call the Sharon Stone biopic? Oh well. But who better to portray a mental break onscreen in Jodie Foster’s first directorial effort in almost twenty years than Mad Mel “King of the Juice” Gibson? Surprisingly, a solid family drama and not a total DUI-induced wreck ensues. Gibson’s Walter Black is suffering through a soul-strangling bout of depression when the film opens, and then he’s given a zany emotional reawakening through a beaver puppet that sounds like Gibson possessed by the living soul of Ray Winstone. Beyond the premise that sounds like it belongs to a Canadian film – since we export commercially untenable niche concepts like Bolivia exports coca products - Gibson gives an intensely emotional performance that probably won’t go to any lengths to redeem his personal life in the eyes of the mainstream, but definitely shows he’s still an actor before he’s an asshole. Supporting him with a solid performance of her own, Foster the director manages to balance the film’s many moods that mirror the main character’s edgy emotional state from one act to the next, going up and down from tragic to funny and sharply back to tragic.

-> 7/10
Old 09-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by viceus View Post
I'm following up with Bad Education and Woman on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown.
Bad Education - 7/10

Mixed feelings with this one. Unlike Talk To Her, I was immediately roped in with this one, but after some time it kind of fizzled out for me. It has a piss-poor execution.

WONDERFUL colours here, though.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:47 PM

I highly enjoy this movie. It's a hilarious yet very grounded at the same time. It boosts great performances especially from Eisenberg. Kirsten Stewart is really good it with the exception of her brushing her hands through her hair (IMDB says she does it 55 times), it's a bad distraction from an otherwise good performance. They have excellent chemistry together. Bill Hader is also hilarious, I kind of wish he were in it more

8/10

Last edited by Frosty_86; 09-05-2011 at 09:50 PM..
Old 09-06-2011, 12:01 AM

Prom(2011)-5/10
Old 09-06-2011, 01:41 AM
CACHE
Michael Haneke, 2005

Saw it for the first time over a week ago and I still can't get it out of my head. The symbolism, the sociopolitical themes and undertones, and just Haneke's overall mind-boggling approach to the material makes it an incredibly complex, suspenseful, and truly rewarding experience. A second (and possibly third) viewing is certainly on my to-do list, but either way I am already completely in awe of this film. Definitely among the very best of the last decade.

9/10

NORTH BY NORTHWEST
Alfred Hitchcock, 1959

While parts of it may be a tad bit dated and just plain cheesy by today's standards, there's no denying that this film is the near epitome of pure popcorn entertainment. The pace is relentless, the set-pieces are exciting, and Hitchcock just adds his own unparalleled touch of classiness and artistry on everything from the suspense to the humor. It's almost impossible not forgive the film for the ridiculousness of it all simply because of how charming and awesomely crafted it really is. It's not necessarily top-tier Hitchcock with the likes of Vertigo and Rear Window, but it's simply the maestro flexing his creative muscles and having a grand amount of fun by doing what he does best: keeping the audience on the edge of their seat.

9/10
Old 09-06-2011, 03:14 AM
Source Code - 7/10

A solid follow up to MOON for Duncan Jones. The last five minutes was a bit unnecessary and not really plausible or explained within the confines of the films' own logic. I guess it works if you take a leap of faith, but I was just fine with it ending earlier than it did, would've been a stronger film.

Spies Like Us - 6/10

Kinda disappointing considering the talent involved. I appreciated Aykroyd and Chase for a bit, however, some scenes were just too over the top silly for me.

Outrageous Fortune - 6/10

Most of this was quite funny with Long and Midler in some creative set-ups. There were however, some bits of racism that were completely unnecessary and bring the film down, despite its high entertainment value.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Apollo 18 - 6/10
Old 09-06-2011, 03:25 PM

6/10
Old 09-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Warrior - 7/10
Old 09-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Dancer in the Dark - 10/10

Why have I done this to myself again?
Old 09-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Definitely, Maybe

Took me a while to get to this film, but I'm glad I finally did. Really touching, heartwarming. Reynolds may have been stuck in the romantic genre for quite a while, but he's certainly good in it. A pleasure to watch.

8/10
Closed Thread