Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Empire Strikes Back[1980]

5/5

One of the best sequels in the history of film.

Return of the Jedi[1983]

4/5

a very good finale to the saga but if not for the stupid ewoks
Old 10-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Quarantine 2

8/10 - I actually thought it was pretty good.

Horrible Bosses

8/10

Shark night 3D

4/10
Old 10-05-2011, 07:30 PM

Lars von Trier Melancholia

In which the "greatest film director in the world" continues to take the piss. It is funny, and there are some interesting ideas, but it's too saggy and you'll likely be bored in the middle of it. I never know why some films decide to tell you the end before the opening title, never works for me. Should have brought the talking fox back.

7.5/10

Last edited by JCR; 10-05-2011 at 07:33 PM..
Old 10-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Hanna

Joe Wright reunites with his breakout star of Atonement, the talented young Saorise Ronan, in a badass action movie of all things. Yet here they stand in what I assume to be their instinctual discomfort zones as true blue British and Irish-born dramatists from both sides of the camera, and yet still here they craft one of the tightest, zaniest, and entertaining assassin thrillers in recent memory. If it came down to Ronan’s Hanna and any of Liam Neeson’s recent asskickers, I’d have to think about it before I placed a bet. Ronan is bolstered by two terrific supporting performances from Eric Bana and the great Cate Blanchett as her father/mentor and rogue CIA nemesis, respectively, but it’s still her movie more than anything, and the young lass totally comes into her own as an actress, proving with this genre alone that she can adapt to pretty much anything. And she isn’t even out of her teens yet! Adapt or die, huh? Her career will live a long, long time, in that case.

-> 7/10
Old 10-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Hudson's Bay with Paul Muni - Muni plays a fur trapper in 17th century Canada that must deal with danger from Indians as well as European governments trying to steal his pelts while trying to start his own company. It's a decent story and features early performances by both Vincent Price and Gene Tierney. 7/10

The Alphabet Murders with Tony Randall - Randall plays the detective Hercule Poirot in a more comedic fashion than is usually done in films. The case itself was actually intriguing as well. 8/10
Old 10-05-2011, 10:58 PM
watched on bluray

9/10 it looks amazing
Old 10-06-2011, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by athf1980 View Post
Empire Strikes Back[1980]

5/5

One of the best sequels in the history of film.
Agreed.
Quote:
Return of the Jedi[1983]

4/5

a very good finale to the saga but if not for the stupid ewoks
Agreed.

You are a genius. Short, sweet, to the point, and completely agreeable.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:27 AM
Wall-E - 9/10
Old 10-06-2011, 02:28 AM
Real Steel - 7/10
Old 10-06-2011, 12:21 PM

8/10
Old 10-06-2011, 01:54 PM
TRUST w/Clive Owen... This dude is awesome!

8/10
Old 10-06-2011, 03:47 PM

8.5/10
Old 10-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Pre-release
Like Crazy
Martha Marcy May Marlene

Post-release
Beautiful (2009) C+
Old 10-06-2011, 04:53 PM
June 9 - 7/10
Surprisingly decent.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:26 PM

8/10
Old 10-06-2011, 07:22 PM
fast five[2011]

4/5

this movie is just pure fun. pure and simple
Old 10-06-2011, 10:14 PM
The Decline Of The American Empire (1986)

I can't say I really cared for any of the characters in this film. It consists of four men and four women who talk about sex and all the affairs they've had, some of them with each other. They all meet at a house for a dinner and one of the characters makes the mistake of blurting out something they shouldn't have, which sets off some conflicts with a few of the characters.

This movie was a little too talky for me, but I found the majority of the characters interesting, even if I didn't really like them. Overall, I enjoyed the film and laughed quite a few times in it.

7/10

I haven't seen the sequel, The Barbarian Invasions. Does anybody know if it's any good?
Old 10-06-2011, 10:20 PM
The Illusionist (Sylvain Chomet, 2010) ****
This is a fantastic and criminally overlooked animated film. The animation is gorgeous, combining fluid traditional animation with cel-shaded CGI and painted landscapes. The film features little to no dialogue, but the gorgeous imagery does a great job of telling the story. The story itself is also very good. It focuses on a magician who feels that his craft is becoming dated due to the recent expansion of rock n' roll (this takes place in the 1950s). It also focuses on a heartwarming relationship between this man and a younger girl whom he figuratively fathers. I recommend checking this movie out if you're looking for something a little more unique and subtle in your animated films. It's very beautiful and very charming.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Michael Bay, 2009)
Man, what a shit movie. The acting is awful, the comic relief is awful, and the CGI is pretty underwhelming. The action scenes are also very poorly shot. Overall, this film really has nothing going for it except for Hugo Weaving's awesome Megatron voice (which no doubt went through a fuckload of audio processing programs). I haven't seen Dark of the Moon yet but I doubt it's as bad as this movie is.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post

I can't say I really cared for any of the characters in this film. It consists of four men and four women who talk about sex and all the affairs they've had, some of them with each other. They all meet at a house for a dinner and one of the characters makes the mistake of blurting out something they shouldn't have, which sets off some conflicts with a few of the characters.

This movie was a little too talky for me, but I found the majority of the characters interesting, even if I didn't really like them. Overall, I enjoyed the film and laughed quite a few times in it.

7/10

I haven't seen the sequel, The Barbarian Invasions. Does anybody know if it's any good?
Noticeably better. I'd highly recommend watching it.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:35 PM
The Girl on the Train - A young woman falsely claims to have been a victim of a hate crime after her boyfriend is arrested on a drug charge. I liked the woman who played the lead and also Catherine Deneuve as her mother. The boyfriend was kind of annoying though. the consequences of her actions are really only dealt with in passing at the end - I would have liked to see how she dealt with the backlash rather than just the film just telling us what the penalty is. 6/10
Old 10-07-2011, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magjournal View Post
The Illusionist (Sylvain Chomet, 2010) ****
This is a fantastic and criminally overlooked animated film. The animation is gorgeous, combining fluid traditional animation with cel-shaded CGI and painted landscapes. The film features little to no dialogue, but the gorgeous imagery does a great job of telling the story. The story itself is also very good. It focuses on a magician who feels that his craft is becoming dated due to the recent expansion of rock n' roll (this takes place in the 1950s). It also focuses on a heartwarming relationship between this man and a younger girl whom he figuratively fathers. I recommend checking this movie out if you're looking for something a little more unique and subtle in your animated films. It's very beautiful and very charming.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Michael Bay, 2009)
Man, what a shit movie. The acting is awful, the comic relief is awful, and the CGI is pretty underwhelming. The action scenes are also very poorly shot. Overall, this film really has nothing going for it except for Hugo Weaving's awesome Megatron voice (which no doubt went through a fuckload of audio processing programs). I haven't seen Dark of the Moon yet but I doubt it's as bad as this movie is.
I saw The Illusionist with Sylvain Chomet and 1500 other people in the theatre in Edinburgh where the magician was shown performing in the movie. And I didn't really care for it that much, it's plot was too thin to sustain it's runtime. I was really sad I didn't like it.

If you choose to watch Transformers Dark of the Moon, you've only got yourself to blame.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:45 AM
I didn't hate Revenge of the Fallen like a lot of people, but I'm not really a fan of it either. But I actually Dark of the Moon was a major improvement over the first two films. It's the only of the 3 that I genuinely enjoyed as pure spectacle. Not saying it's great, but I did think it was exciting.

Today, I saw:

50/50 - ***

Good movie. Very funny in spots and very touching and sad and poignant in others. Joseph Gordon Levitt and Seth Rogen are both excellent. Anna Kenderick was cute although I didn't buy her as a therapist. I know she's new and all and Adam is only her 3rd patient but even knowing that, I didn't find her to be believable at all. I didn't think the movie was great but I enjoyed it a lot.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:43 AM
Biutiful (8/10)

Bardem deserved to win over Firth
Old 10-07-2011, 07:08 AM

8/10
Old 10-07-2011, 09:12 AM

8/10
Old 10-07-2011, 12:08 PM

8/10
Old 10-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Johnny English Reborn - 7/10
Midnight In Paris - 7.5/10
Old 10-07-2011, 12:32 PM
The Cranes Are Flying - 5/10
Fish Tank - 5/10
The Insatiable Man - 6/10
Old 10-07-2011, 01:55 PM

9.5/10
Old 10-07-2011, 03:10 PM

8.5/10
Old 10-07-2011, 04:42 PM

Watched the Director's Cut. I think it's the best version.8/10

Last edited by Frosty_86; 10-07-2011 at 04:46 PM..
Old 10-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Onibaba - 8/10
Head Case - 3/10
Old 10-07-2011, 05:51 PM
I just got done watching
The Birds 6/10
Old 10-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post

7/10

Well as french quebecer , this movie had quite an impact on our view of modern society but it didn't aged very well. I strongly suggest Barbarian Invasion because the subject is less 80s and more 00s. Same people with evolved problems imo.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:34 PM
courageous[2011]

3/5

i went to these with my church group. it was actually not to
bad.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:37 PM
50/50

Sometimes there’s a great case to be made about deception in marketing, and “That Cancer Comedy” might be the perfect Exhibit A. Despite Seth Rogen’s character feeling like he was dropped from an entirely different - and much lighter – movie (or maybe because he plays the same guy as he did in *insert Apatow movie here*), this film strikes a nice balance between the serious treatment of the subject matter and the unexpected black comedy that comes from the very human coping reactions from Joseph Gordon-Levitt. It’s a fine performance that has to negotiate its way ever so gradually through the Five Stages, and Levitt is one of those young actors that must’ve jumped to the top of the list when it came to casting this kinda role. Anna Kendrick follows up her surprise Oscar nod with another strong supporting performance as Levitt’s quirky counsellor, the relationship between them really adding to the emotional stakes late in the film when the lighter comedy aspects take a necessary header into the heavier shit. And that's pretty much when the movie becomes great.

-> 9/10
Old 10-07-2011, 11:04 PM
The Little Minister with Katharine Hepburn - Hepburn plays a local gypsy girl who becomes romantically involved with a young minister that causes a lot of scandal until her true identity and motivations are revealed. The film also deals with class struggles of rural 19th Scotland (but are applicable to just about any group of the poor) as the local nobility try to keep the rest under their thumb. Hepburn is pretty good and the script is well written even if many of the other actors aren't all that great. 7/10

The Wackiest Ship in the Army with Jack Lemmon - Lemmon plays a naval officer given command of a sailing ship sent on a secret mission. There are many mishaps on the mission of course and it is later revealed why that type of ship is needed and also the details of the surprisingly dangerous mission. I really liked Lemmon and Ricky Nelson actually did a decent job as his second in command as well. The film was funny and when it needed to be it also had some good dramatic moments. 8/10
Old 10-07-2011, 11:20 PM
EuroTrip (Jeff Schaffer, 2004) **˝
The movie is OKAY, nothing more. There are some funny jokes, but most jokes consist of breasts being exposed. I'm not complaining, but it doesn't make the movie any funnier, just a bit easier to watch. Overall, it's not terrible, but it's no different than any other sex comedy out there (a genre which I'm really not a fan of).

Black Swan (Darren Aronofsky, 2010) ****
This was my favorite movie of 2010. Natalie Portman gives both an enchanting and visceral performance. The dance choreography is wonderful, the cinematography is fantastic, and the CGI is used incredibly well. It's a bit artsy, but creepy as hell and is still good for multiple viewings (this was my third viewing).

Dragon Ball Z: Return of Cooler
(Daisuke Nishio, 1992) ***
I watch these Dragon Ball Z movies with my little brother. I used to watch the show a lot as a little kid and now my brother watches Kai. Nicktoons has been airing the movies lately, so I checked this one out to see if it held up since I last saw it, and I'm glad to say it does. It's basically one big fight, but it's essentially what Dragon Ball Z is and always has been.

Red (Robert Schwentke, 2010) ***
This is a very fun movie. The performances are funny and the action is well-done. It starts off kinda slow, but it quickly picks up and gets into the action and becomes both funny and badass.

Moneyball (Bennett Miller, 2011) ****
I loved this movie. Brad Pitt gives one of his best performances in years (much better than his great performance in The Tree of Life), Philip Seymour Hoffman is great as usual, and Jonah Hill is surprisingly good. The film doesn't delve into overused plot points and never tries to push any kind of motivational theme onto the viewer. The script is great and provides a lot of very funny moments. Overall, I'd recommend this to anyone who likes sports movies, although it is a bit slow and drags towards the end.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:51 AM
Fight Club

5/5

American Beauty

5/5

Just a day at home and I figures I should pay my respects to some of the greats.

Last edited by FrenchyDarkheart; 10-08-2011 at 01:52 AM.. Reason: oops!
Old 10-08-2011, 03:26 AM
Alien Resurrection - 6/10
Closed Thread