Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 04:18 PM
X-Men: First Class (8/10)

Seemed a bit sillier this time around, but still damn entertaining.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Pre-release
Anonymous (2011)
A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas

Post-release
Auto Focus B-
Hellraiser: Revelations D
Made in Dagenham B+
Red State (2011) C-
Old 10-19-2011, 08:36 PM
The Ides of March

Smart, savage, satirical, and probably other S words that haven’t immediately come to mind. Oh wait, don’t forget “Shakespearean” too, for obvious reasons. Clooney crafts one of those rare theatrical experiences that engages you with a myriad of well-drawn characters and juicy dialogue that should snap you out of the depressive funk you might be in if you’ve seen any Three Musketeers marketing recently. It helps immensely if you’re a political junkie, since the almost Greek grandeur of the story and its flawed and/or tragic heroes is tethered to the world of Machiavellian political opportunism and gamesmanship in Washington. But the real brilliance of the movie is that in the end, the ingenius (and no doubt polarizing) ambiguity of the ending has only the impact of what you as a viewer brought to Gosling’s journey. Meaning that you’ll have different views on the state of play for the characters going forward depending on whether you’re a cynic or an idealist.

-> 8/10
Old 10-19-2011, 08:52 PM
I Am Number Four (D.J. Caruso, 2011) 2 out of 4 stars
This film is your typical high school bullshit with an alien subplot, although the marketing for the film would have you believe the opposite. Most of the film involves Alex Pettyfer pathetically attempting to portray the one-dimensional John Smith as he deals with high school as an alien in disguise. Most of the acting is shoddy, although I liked Timothy Olyphant, as I always do. He just seems to exude coolness and while he's not the best actor around, he's generally a pleasure to watch. Surprisingly, the climax of the film is quite exciting and well-shot and the CGI isn't half-bad, but those two positives don't change the fact that this film is basically Superman meets Degrassi.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:37 PM
THE IDES OF MARCH

I admit this isn't really my kind of movie. Then again, I can be pleasantly surprised. What did this really have to offer? Not much, IMO. The themes of loyalty, politics, belief in politics and loyalty... all come together in a way that's terribly uninteresting nor is it entertaining. Gosling again plays a roll where he looks half-baked the entire time, almost lacking any identifiable emotion and coasting through one scene after another... much like he did in DRIVE.

This movie did nothing to make me think anything different about politicians, nor did it raise any philisophical questions based on morality and the state of our country today.
Do I care about Gosling, and whether or not he wants to "sell out" or "buy in"? Nope. Which doesn't help this movie's case.

5/10
Old 10-19-2011, 11:22 PM
The West Point Story with James Cagney - A decent film about about a producer putting on a show at West Point. Doris Day and Virginia Mayo give solid supporting performances but it's Cagney's numbers that are the highlight. While not quite as good as his musical performance in Yankee Doodle Dandy he does have some pretty impressive dance numbers. 7/10

Wonder Man with Danny Kaye - This film isn't so great. Kaye plays identical brothers one of which is killed early on and comes back as a ghost to help the other one solve the case as well as perform the dead brother's stage act. It's pretty silly and I wouldn't recommend it. 3/10
Old 10-19-2011, 11:50 PM

The Thing(2011)-7/10
Old 10-20-2011, 12:50 AM

Fucked up shit. 8/10.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:43 AM
I really want to see Snowtown.

Paranormal Activity 3 (7/10)
It's still not even near as scary as the original, but it's a lot more entertaining than the second film, and surpasses it in every way. There's some nice humorous moments throughout the film and the 'family-home' atmosphere felt very genuine. I really liked Christopher Nicholas Smith's performance. He was a very warm, natural and likable protagonist. I felt for him as the events of the film went on. A couple of the scares (the kitchen stuff falling down) feel overplayed now, but there are some seriously creepy moments (a number of jump scares and a moment with a white sheet especially). The ending was pretty...lacklustre. It really leaves the door open for a fourth film though I'm not too sure where they would go with it.

I'd like to watch the whole trilogy again to see how well the story blends together over the course of the three films. The story is essentially told backwards (this one takes place in the 80's - when they wouldn't have picture quality anywhere near this good, but I can forgive the film that obvious logic fault ). It's a little hard to recall some of the details from the original movie by this point - especially about Katie's past, which is a focal point here.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film despite the annoying audience I saw it with. If you haven't enjoyed either of the previous instalments, there's nothing here to persuade you otherwise, but for fans of the series it's a lot of fun.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlegend23 View Post
I really want to see Snowtown.
Its out on DVD here, bro.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks man. I'll definitely check it out.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:08 PM
District 9 (Neill Blomkamp, 2009) 3½ out of 4 stars
I love this movie. It has a really cool documentary-style feel for the first half and the second half is nonstop action. The effects are pretty cool too and I like the design of the aliens. I also like how the aliens are the victims in this case when it's usually the other way around.

A Scanner Darkly (Richard Linklater, 2006) 3 out of 4 stars
The rotoscoped art style is really cool and I haven't seen any other films using it. I wish they would. The acting is pretty solid, with Robert Downey, Jr. standing out as my favorite in the film. It's a very interesting look into drug abuse and it's got a pretty good script. Definitely worth checking out. I'll probably never forget this film, at least aesthetically.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:18 PM
District 9 was so awesome. Probably my favourite of 2009. It really holds up on repeat viewings too.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:15 PM
Work is bringing me down, luckily I have a four hour gap on Thursdays which I use to go to the Odeon. Two films and no TV in 3 weeks is sad though

But yeah,

Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2011)

Yeah this was pretty sweet. The cast was great (fuckin Al Brooks!), I liked the mish-mash of movie genres and references and Refn brings his style to American big-releases successfully, I'll definitely be seeing whatever he does next.
8/10

Tyrannosaur (Paddy Considine, 2011)

I love Paddy Considine as an actor, and I'm glad to see that as a director he has made a serious contender for film of the year, albeit a very freakin grim one. Peter Mullan and Olivia Colman give absolutely phenomenal performances, I do hope they get Oscar attention, but if not I'm sure they'll settle for the BIFAs that are inevitably coming their way. Everytime I see a film like this I think I'm gonna get bored of the genre the next time I see one, but the "kitchen-sink drama" is something us Brits do so well, the fact that we are so damn miserable seems to be paying off. I should also admit this was the second film to have me welling up, really hit a personal nerve at the end.
8/10
Old 10-20-2011, 07:28 PM
^^

I hope Colman can get a Best Actress nom out of it. I saw the movie back in June and her performance has still stuck with me. Too bad the studio distributing Tyrannosaur doesn't have enough money to advertise it/promote it and are seemingly let it die on the vine (is it supposed to come out next month?)

The Thing ('11) - 7/10

Doesn't touch Carpenter's version -- better script, characters and Bottin's effects trump CGI anyday -- but this has a tight efficiency and some chilling scenes.

Weekend - 7/10

I guess you could say this is like a gay version of Before Sunrise or any indie film where two people meet and spend a scant few hours/days together. Well acted, small but packs a lot of impact.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:49 PM
The Company Men (John Wells, 2011) 3½ out of 4 stars
The movie is everything you would want in a story. It's scary, depressing, and sad, but also motivational, inspiring, and conveys a good message about many different things: swallowing your pride, prioritizing your life, and finding the line between what's desired and what's necessary. The film does a good job of portraying the demoralizing and slightly emasculating condition that unemployed men often go through, especially those who fell from much higher. Tommy Lee Jones and Chris Cooper provide excellent work as supporting actors. Ben Affleck is okay in the lead role, but he's Ben Affleck, so I'll take it.

Parenthood (Ron Howard, 1989) 3 out of 4 stars
Take some great actors such as Steve Martin, Dianne Wiest, Mary Steenburgen, and Tom Hulce, and couple them with the annoyingly untalented Rick Moranis, and you've got a good comedy in which the good generally outweighs the bad. It's actually pretty funny, which I wasn't expecting from the guy behind A Beautiful Mind and Frost/Nixon. Good stuff.

Despicable Me (Pierre Coffin/Chris Renaud, 2010) 2½ out of 4 stars
I remember back when I saw this in theaters. I think it's the most recent film I've seen in 3D, which was a long way back. I really wanted to love this movie. The voice cast is full of great comedians like Steve Carell, Jason Segel, Russell Brand, Will Arnett, and more. The film really is not that great. It's kind of sweet and cute, I guess, but it doesn't hit on a level any higher than that of a simply cutesy kids movie. The film relies way too much on those little tater tot guys, who, admittedly, are kinda cute and kinda funny at times, although they do get old. I could see this working as a television show or a series of shorts, but as a feature length film it's only average. Megamind pulled the evil villain thing off in a much better way. It was way more clever and way funnier.

Inglourious Basterds (Quentin Tarantino, 2009) 4 out of 4 stars
Old 10-20-2011, 09:57 PM
Contagion - 8/10
Old 10-20-2011, 10:06 PM
On Moonlight Bay with Doris Day - One of many solid light hearted musicals that Doris Day made. Everything is conveniently wrapped up at the very end but minor annoyance doesn't really affect my enjoyment of these films. Day is fun to watch and has a good voice. 7/10

Hot Blood with Jane Russell - A couple of gypsies from different families are arranged to be married and neither is happy about it. The film is pretty light on substance and doesn't really do justice to Russell's talents. Her costar isn't very good either and in this case the happy ending seems forced. 4/10
Old 10-20-2011, 11:34 PM
Grave Encounters - 4/10
Old 10-21-2011, 01:43 AM
Play - 7/10 (Swedish film with a very distinct style. Impressively long takes with a completely motionless camera. Reminded of Haneke a little bit. Message was pounded in though a bit too heavily.)

Without - 8/10 (Independant American film, very impressive. First feature I think from the director, with a really good lead actress. Very atmospheric, suspensful and surpising. Best version of Lil' Wayne and T-Paine I've ever heard.)
Old 10-21-2011, 04:07 AM
Melancholia - 8/10
Dancer In The Dark - 2/10
Dimension 1991-2024 - 6/10
Old 10-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Contagion - 7.5/10
Old 10-21-2011, 12:57 PM
TRESPASS

The film Desperate Hours which starred Mickey Rourke immediately comes to mind and as i began to watch Trespass,and which is a masterpiece if you compare it to Trespass.
Nicolas Cage is a high end diamond dealer,with a big home and a lovely wife portrayed by Nicole Kidman,with a rebellious daughter portrayed by Liana Liberato.
A quartet of Thieves descend upon their home for cash and diamonds and tension and suspense......well a lot of yelling and screaming ensues.Its mainly Cage and Kidman screaming "Dont hurt her,or Dont hurt him" off and on
The only thing semi entertaining about the film are the thieves,and their backstory which are so insane it inspires unintentional laughs.Another bright spot a brief strip scene
featuring Jordana Spiro best known for TBS comedy series My Boys.
Cage who i guess is still paying off his taxes seems he's doing every film that comes his way.Kidman.... i dont know, she collects an easy paycheck here.
Fortunately it is a very brief film,but i still want my 90 minutes back.
Scale of 1-10 a 3
Old 10-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Young People Fucking

A lot of sex, a lot of laughs and clever dialogue, but not a whole lot of convincing emotion to truly resonate as a modern portrait of sex, love, and all that happy crappy. The five stories it contains vary in quality and credibility, with some vignettes better acted and more involving than others (the Best Friends and the First Date being my favorites, the former of which stars the hotter than the bullets that lit Gadhafi’s old rat ass up Carly Pope), but as far as Canadian mainstream cinema goes, I’d like to see more of this out of Hollywood North all the same. It at least catches the attention. Definitely in the running for Best Title Ever. It’s not great, but not bad, and as a Canadian, I kinda feel I have to cut it some slack, whatever its flaws.

-> 7/10
Old 10-21-2011, 04:01 PM

8/10
Old 10-21-2011, 10:28 PM
My Blueberry Nights - For the most part this was a pretty ordinary film with nothing new to say about a love that has gone wrong and a woman's journey to find herself. The one person I did like was Rachel Weisz as the wife of a drunk who eventually manages to kill himself. 5/10

Knockout - Anthony Quinn is the manager of a promising fighter who will do anything to keep him in the sport. The fighter actually wants to quit but Quinn arranges it so he can't get a job. Other than that it's just a typical film about a boxer fighting against the system with a rather predictable ending. 5/10

Seven Chances with Buster Keaton - Keaton is a man who inherits a large sum of money providing he gets married by the end of the day. This leads to many funny situations due to his mad dash to find a stranger who will marry him after his true love rejects him. I especially like the part near the end when a mob desperately chases him after they find out why he wants to get married. 7/10
Old 10-21-2011, 11:47 PM
DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK

Holy fucking shit that was such a fucking piece of crap. I can't believe how bad this was. I hate it when horror movies rely on people being completely stupid and illogical in order to progress the story in a direction they want it to. If these things hate the light, then if you're loked in a bathroom with the light off, instead of trying to open the locked door, why not MOVE YOUR FUCKING hand TWO FEET TO THE RIGHT so you can turn the fucking light switch on?!?!

That's only one of the many idiotic and outrageously retarded moments amongst a mess of a movie that deserves not to see the light of day.

The only thing you ned to be afraid of is seeing this movie.

3/10
Old 10-22-2011, 12:34 AM
Country Strong (Shana Feste, 2011) 2 out of 4 stars
There are so many things wrong with this movie. Where do I begin? The story is practically nonexistent. Gwyneth Paltrow, despite being very beautiful in this, gives an inconsistent performance. The sweet parts of her performance are sweet but she does a terrible job with the emotional scenes. The rest of the acting is okay, although Garrett Hedlund actually does a pretty good job. The characters develop overnight and they do so many out-of-character things it's ridiculous. It's a very weak story with a good performance by Garrett Hedlund and some great country music, which makes it bearable but not very good.

Bad Teacher (Jake Kasdan, 2011) 2½ out of 4 stars
I was expecting to hate this, but it wasn't half-bad. It's got some funny parts and Cameron Diaz does a good job, but most of the jokes become monotonous because they revolve around the bitchiness and self-centered attitude of the character. In addition, the plot was very predictable and I didn't love the way it turned out, but overall it was a decent comedy with a handful of laughs to be had.

Horrible Bosses (Seth Gordon, 2011) 3½ out of 4 stars
Mortal Kombat: The Movie (Paul W.S. Anderson, 1995) 2½ out of 4 stars
Reservoir Dogs (Quentin Tarantino, 1992) 4 out of 4 stars
Machete (Robert Rodriguez/Ethan Maniquis, 2010) 3 out of 4 stars
Old 10-22-2011, 02:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK

Holy fucking shit that was such a fucking piece of crap. I can't believe how bad this was. I hate it when horror movies rely on people being completely stupid and illogical in order to progress the story in a direction they want it to. If these things hate the light, then if you're loked in a bathroom with the light off, instead of trying to open the locked door, why not MOVE YOUR FUCKING hand TWO FEET TO THE RIGHT so you can turn the fucking light switch on?!?!
I dont think it's a great movie by any stretch, but I did have to jump in here and just say that there was no way for her the switch lights back on, because the little fuckers messed with them (can't remember how but i know they did).

I didn't find it as terrible as you, I appreciated the ending and that opening sequence was very nicely done. Some scares, some laughs, nice surround set and cool creatures

6.5/10
Old 10-22-2011, 02:29 AM
Dutch (aka. Driving Me Crazy 1991)

Written by teen flick supreme John Hughes and you can tell, all the way through is that classic light hearted soft whimsical humour that is a joy to watch. Much like 'Planes Trains and Automobiles' the plot is basically a road movie with two characters that simply don't match or get along, this time a blue collar worker Ed O' Neil and a snobby spoilt rich kid Ethan Embry.

O'Neil has the simple task of transporting his girl friends bratty kid from his rich school in Georgia to the family home in Chicago for Thanksgiving. As you can imagine this brings up much craziness from Ed 'Al Bundy' O' Neil as he tries to bond with the kid along the way. Sure its predictable and the humour is basic, not up to the standard of Candy and Martin, but its very sweet and heart warming as you would expect with a cracking blues/jazz/soul soundtrack.

Never did well upon release probably due to the not so big names involved and the fact its not that funny to be honest also Embry is a really annoying little shit haha. More lessons in life in this road movie than 'Planes Trains' which is fine but slightly cumbersome, still has that lovely cold wintry festive feeling that Hughes always manages to create which is prefect for curling up on the couch with nothing else to do on a frosty afternoon.

The Quick and the Dead (1995)

Remember when Sharon Stone was big? remember that? seems along time ago doesn't it, also seems odd to think it too with her rather bland boring 80's look. Bit of a cult this one with a fantastic line up of character actors and stars including DiCaprio, Hackman, Keith David, Henriksen, Tobin Bell, Pat Hingle, Gary Sinise, Russell Crowe and Bruce Campbell in deleted scenes!! how do ya like dem apples Tex?

The whole film is kinda like a videogame concept really or like some modern flicks which bring together a bunch of stars in a kind of 'beat em up'/'shoot em up' style tournament with silly corny characters having individual skills that set them apart from each other, this is the western version.

Its a pretty fun flick to be sure but its also pretty corny at times with some dubious acting namely from Stone who really can't act, her blonde hair somehow gets her work. The characters are all quite unoriginal being a western, not much choice but the obvious, but admittedly your not sure who will die next. Hackman as usual is brilliant as the evil 'Herod' and you really wanna see him get his comeuppance haha he gives the film allot of edge which it badly needs as at times it does tend to feel a bit like a TV movie.

Raimi does well to inject fuel into the western genre with this (for the time) and the colourful characters are fun to watch despite being cliched, homage to Sergio Leone? sort of, a good try but maybe a touch too glossy and not enough blood.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:59 AM
Pearl Jam Twenty - 8/10
Old 10-22-2011, 03:13 AM
The Ides of March - ***

Rating could go up. Not sure. But this is a strong film full of great performances. Gosling and Evan Rachel Wood get the best developed roles. But Clooney, Hoffman and Giamatti are all very good too, especially Clooney and Hoffman. Hoffman's character gives this whole spiel on loyalty which I thought was very hypocritical of him considering what he had done was a pretty dick move and not actually as bad as what Gosling did.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:13 AM

8/10
Old 10-22-2011, 10:18 AM

8/10
Old 10-22-2011, 11:58 AM
Paranormal Activity 3-8/10
Old 10-22-2011, 12:38 PM

8/10
Old 10-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Red White & Blue - 8/10
Not at all what I was expecting.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:22 PM
Red State (Kevin Smith, 2011) 1½ out of 4 stars
I was never a huge Kevin Smith fan, to be honest. People hail Clerks as a great comedy, but I found it to be incredibly dull, as I do his other films. Red State is the exact opposite of dull, but I don't mean that in a good way. It's a total assault on the senses. The film starts as a sort of horror flick, using disturbing imagery to replace actual scares. The film later ditches the whole "horror" schtick and becomes an incredibly long shootout with intense, graphic violence. The performances are good, but it's sad to see talented actors such as Michael Parks, Stephen Root, John Goodman, and Melissa Leo act in such crap. The story is very uneven and doesn't make a lot of sense, plus it can get pretty dumb at points. What starts off as a horror movie loses focus and can't decide on what it wants to be. Unfortunately, it doesn't do any of what it does well.

The Big Bang (Tony Krantz, 2011) ½ out of 4 stars
This is by far one of the worst movies of the year. I can appreciate the film noir style of storytelling and the visuals can be creative at points, but The Big Bang has such a convoluted and over-complicated story that's hard to follow and just isn't interesting. I love Antonio Banderas's voice but his acting leaves a lot to be desired in this film, and the underrated William Fichtner looks like he just doesn't give a crap. Ultimately, this isn't even much of a film. It's a series of scenes tied loosely together by a crap plot that goes to different levels of absurdity and convolution.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:27 PM
Super 8

8/10 - an all around entertaining film
Old 10-22-2011, 05:54 PM
The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest (7/10)
It's Kind of a Funny STory (5/10)
Closed Thread