Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 11:12 PM

7.5/10
Old 11-01-2011, 01:14 AM
#75 and the horror marathon ends with

7/10
Old 11-01-2011, 02:22 AM
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (7/10)
Wow, this actually had a bit of character development and interesting ideas. I liked that the kids had to face off against their own individual fears to beat Freddy. Langenkamp's performance was an improvement from her annoying one in the first film.

Step Brothers (6/10)
There's a fine line between funny-stupid and irritating-stupid and this movie crossed it a few too many times for my liking. After a while it gets headache-inducing listening to the two leads screaming at each other. There are plenty of hilarious moments in the movie, though, one in particular that had me in fits of giggles was Kathryn Hahn coming onto John C. Reilly after the latter punches her husband in the face. That was a hilarious scene. I liked the older cast as well, Richard Jenkins and Mary Steenburgen really give this movie its heart. In comparison to Adam McKay's other films - this doesn't even touch Anchorman, but it was at least funnier than the bland Talladega Nights.

Swordfish (7/10)
Despite often coming across overly sleazy thanks to the testosterone overload, this was surprisingly quite enjoyable with a fast pace, some cool action sequences (especially the bus aerial finale), Hugh Jackman in likable form as the lead and there's an actually decent performance from John Travolta, whose character is not completely one-dimensional or all mwa-ha-ha villainy. The terrorist plot is kind of interesting in retrospect given this came out before 9/11. Travolta's character discusses that Hollywood makes "unbelievable, unremarkable shit", and while Swordfish is both a rather unremarkable and an unbelievable film - the scenarios are incredibly far-fetched, but hey, this is an action popcorn flick - I was pleasantly surprised by this movie, and it doesn't fit into the "shit" category.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:37 AM
Its been a good ten years since my last journey with those crazy cops, and this is how the series has held up...

Lethal Weapon - 7/10

Many of the scenes come off as incredibly unbelievable, such as the negotiation in the desert and the final fight scene. But Gibson and Glover have such great chemistry and the action scenes are entertaining enough that you can forgive the silliness. Plus this is the introduction to Murtaugh and Riggs, which has many memorable moments. As far as buddy cop movies go, it sets the standard.

Lethal Weapon 2 - 7.5/10

This one rates a bit higher due to the formidable bad guys, which are quite ingenious when compared to your average action movie villains. Plus at every turn this one manages to keep things fresh. And while we have become accustomed to the banter between Gibson and Glover, the addition of Joe Pesci adds some good laughs and a memorable trip through the drive-thru.

Lethal Weapon 3 - 6.5/10

Third trip around, we still get some good laughs and mindless fun entertainment. As far as bad guys go, its pretty standard and I never understood why Stuart Wilson was the go-to guy during this time period; he's simply not threatening. Pesci is getting a bit on the nerves at this point and I found the action scenes to be lacking, but never boring. Rene Russo entering the mix is a fine addition and a perfect match for the craziest cop in LA.

Lethal Weapon 4 - 5/10

I am so very disappointed that this one has not held up in the slightest. When originally released I gave the movie an 8/10, but after watching them all again, this entry is certainly the weakest by far. Joe Pesci had no purpose in this movie, his schtick was done. Almost every scene is a reference to a better funnier moment from the last two flicks. Chris Rock, unlike Pesci and Russo previously, was not a welcome addition to the gang. He plays himself and has nothing new to add, just high-pitched whining. Jet Li's appearance only serves to make the action look cool and hip, but no one takes him serious, thus diminishing his threat. The plot is serviceable and showing Gibson's age catching up to him is a good angle. But aside from some decent action scenes, the Riggs/Murtaugh-less dialogue is cringeworthy. I'm glad they wrapped things up in a decent manner, but the script needed another rewrite.

Overall, these are some of the most entertaining buddy action comedy flicks around, and while I will not watch #4 again for many years, they reminded me why I love Gibson as an actor.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Murder by Death (1976)

Some legendary names in this line up such as Sellers, Guinness, Falk, Lanchester, Niven and Maggie Smith but that can't quite stop it from being rather silly and slightly disappointing in my humble view. If you think along the lines of 'Clue' then you will know the angle of this film, its just a bit more off the wall and with, I think, poorer characters.

You might think that's impossible with this cast but the characters are rather cliched and disappointing, especially Sellers and his now rather racist old Chinese man character. Brennan is here too in what is almost a prequel performance as she was in 'Clue' as well but again shes not as fun in this old film, same can be said for Guinness who seems wasted.

Its not terrible but its not great either, nice sets and a lovely film poster illustrated by Charles 'The Addams Family' Addams.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Conviction (8/10)
Old 11-01-2011, 04:14 PM
yay no more horror LOL

8/10
Old 11-01-2011, 05:19 PM
The Trip

I just watched THE TRIP with Steven Coogan and Rob Brydon as they roadtrip throughout Northern England to review restaurants in the countryside and it's hilarious!! You won't stop laughing as they impersonate actors from Al Pacino to Michael Caine. What'd you guys think about it?
http://www.sundancenow.com/film/the-trip/758
Old 11-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Incendies

Powerful, painful, and provocative, in the interest of cheap alliteration. It begins with the simple hook of a recently deceased Arab-Canadian immigrant womanís last will and testament leading her children on a journey to their unnamed homeland to discover the truth about their family's past. Itís an interesting enough premise to initially draw you in to the greater puzzle, but itís director Denis Villeneuveís slow burn style [incidental pun ahoy], the incredible central performance from Lubna Azabal, and the increasing emotional stakes as the film winds itself down to a shattering finale that had me stunned into awed silence by the end. Talk about films that profoundly shake you to the core. Donít let the deliberate pace fool you Ė it builds with an acute purpose thatís rewarding and depressing in equal measure. An excellent piece of alternative cinema that makes me proud to flaunt the red and white when the Toronto Maple Leafs make it so very, very fucking hardÖ Ö You Leafs fans want to hurt me, donít you?

-> 9/10
Old 11-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Inception

8/10

Swordfish

7/10

The Rock

8/10
Old 11-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Midnight in Paris (8/10)
A true delight from start to finish. Just a wonderful, humorous, original movie, filled with realistic characters played by great actors.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:09 PM
After the Thin Man - It's pretty much the same formula as the original but the different characters and the performances they give make it worth seeing. Powell and Loy have great chemistry together and make for very good leads. The reveal of who the criminal is comes as a big surprise as well. 8/10

The Three Faces of Eve - Joanne Woodward gives a very good performance as a woman with three distinct personalities. George C Scott is also good as her therapist. I especially like the scenes where Eve Black is flirting with him. 8/10
Old 11-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Transformers: Dark of the Moon

5/10
Old 11-01-2011, 11:40 PM

In Time(2011)-8/10
Old 11-02-2011, 01:51 AM
Alien 3 (Assembly cut)

8/10

Alien Resurrection

7/10
Old 11-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Anaconda - 6/10
Old 11-02-2011, 03:57 PM

9/10
Old 11-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Wow, a movie that makes you feel uncomfortable for 2 hours straight without a break. I'd be pretty sure it intended to do it. If we assume films are supposed to be entertaining, this is a strange way of showing it. Is it a good film? Yes. Is it a great film? Maybe. Did I enjoy it? No.

WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN.

Happy happy joy joy.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:59 PM

9/10
Old 11-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Mimic

6/10

Secret Window

7/10
Old 11-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Slither

7/10
Old 11-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
Wow, a movie that makes you feel uncomfortable for 2 hours straight without a break. I'd be pretty sure it intended to do it. If we assume films are supposed to be entertaining, this is a strange way of showing it. Is it a good film? Yes. Is it a great film? Maybe. Did I enjoy it? No.

WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN.

Happy happy joy joy.
I actually thought it was quite entertaining. Obviously it is very bleak and makes you feel very uncomfortable, but it does so in a way that is very engaging and that has a very satisfying narrative. There is also some beyond dark humor at times that gives you maybe a second or two of ease.

Also, MAJOR SPOILERS (seriously, don't look if you haven't seen the movie)
Spoiler:
Am I alone in totally not expecting that Franklin and Celia were killed? It didn't really hit me until Eva walks in the house and starts calling out their names. In the post-massacre storyline, I kind of had just assumed that Franklin took Celia and moved away, since he thought Eva wasn't fit to raise a child. And the sprinklers... oh the fucking sprinklers. I seriously can't walk by a sprinkler without envisioning Franklin and Celia lying face down with arrows in their backs.

Last edited by Bourne101; 11-02-2011 at 10:09 PM..
Old 11-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Tower Heist - 6/10
Old 11-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Crash and Burn (aka Robot Jox 2, 1990)

Sequel of sorts to 'Robot Jox' with the same cover art yet the plot is nothing to do with the original, in fact the plot has nothing to do with anything much haha. Basically its about a group of folks stuck in a big warehouse/power plant because of a thermal storm outside, to make things worse one of them is a 'synth' out to kill everyone for the evil companies gain (Unicom).

So...you have a group of people stuck in a building being killed by a Terminator style robot and no one knows who the killer robot is, not too original huh. Its pretty pointless really with bad acting plus nothing happens! the only thing to mention is the gloriously cheesy stop motion mech action near the end. This franchise is all about the big mechs but amazingly this film lacks mech action despite the cover art depiction.

Robot Wars (aka Robot Jox 2, 1993)

Yes this is another big mech film which seems to be another second sequel, unofficial, to the original 'Robot Jox'. The Band brothers are at it again with their lovely tacky films but somehow manage to make them kinda good at the same time, this is normally down to the stop motion robot action which is great fun.

B-movie of course but lets be honest here, its just an excuse for more robot wars and not much else really, this time we have the original classic mech against a scorpion type mech. The whole film is again pointless with a thin plot but the over the top acting and shaky robot effects are just so fun to watch, love the constant multiple button/switch pushing by the robot pilots lol. This film is much better than the other sequel 'Crash and Burn', its like the original with plenty of robot hocus pocus.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:58 AM
The Devil's Rejects (8/10)
Old 11-03-2011, 03:04 AM
Legion - 2/10
Intolerable Cruelty - 7/10
Old 11-03-2011, 05:36 AM
Another Year (7/10)
Old 11-03-2011, 11:52 AM

We Need to Talk About Kevin - 9/10
Old 11-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Road House 7/10
Old 11-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Paranormal Activity 3 - 6/10
Tower Heist - 7.5/10
Old 11-03-2011, 01:53 PM
The Thing (5/10)
Some impressive CGI effects, beautiful Antarctic photography and a few very effective boo-scare moments do not save a film that is terminally mediocre because everyone involved forgot to make the characters interesting. Honestly, they may as well have been interchangeable. There's not much setting one character apart from the next. The only one that stood out at all was Mary Elizabeth Winstead's character, because she was one of the cast's only women and the requisite final girl. Winstead herself was pretty "meh" as usual though. Likable though she is, she's yet to really prove her acting chops in anything I've seen her in. This movie put its characters into some interesting moral situations, but it doesn't work with just interesting scenarios and zero interesting characters to give a crap about.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:53 PM

9/10
Old 11-03-2011, 06:21 PM
Captain America

7/10
Old 11-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Pre-release
The Descendants (2011)

Post-release
The Nutcracker: The Untold Story C
Old 11-03-2011, 09:09 PM

Like Crazy

8/10
Old 11-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Beginners

8.5/10
Old 11-03-2011, 09:53 PM
The Seventh Victim - This film about a woman looking for her sister definitely sets the atmosphere well and even though the film is quite short it does pack a lot into its story. The mystery is solved about halfway into the film but it brings up a whole new set of problems when she finds the people responsible for her sister's situation. Definitely worth a watch if you like noirish type films from the 40's. 8/10

Bedlam with Boris Karloff - Karloff plays the head of the notorious asylum and he tries to quiet the woman trying to shut him down. He is wonderfully creepy as usual and while the film is hardly a classic there is definitely an eerie quality as well as some absurdly exaggerated moments. 7/10

Three on a Couch with Jerry Lewis and Janet Leigh - Lewis tries to cure his wife's psychiatric patients by pretending to date them and cure them of their mistrust of men. Of course there are wacky complications that ensue from this absurd premise. There are some good gags but the story is also pretty engaging and Lewis does a fantastic job. 8/10
Old 11-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Split Second

7.5/10
Old 11-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
I actually thought it was quite entertaining. Obviously it is very bleak and makes you feel very uncomfortable, but it does so in a way that is very engaging and that has a very satisfying narrative. There is also some beyond dark humor at times that gives you maybe a second or two of ease.
As I said, it maybe a great film, but I have no desire to ever see it again. Heck I watched Human Centipede 2 the other day and I found it an easier watch than We Need To Talk About Kevin.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:57 PM

The Rum Diary(2011)-6/10
Closed Thread