Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Old 11-04-2011, 02:10 AM
The Rum Diary - ***

A very enjoyable movie with interesting characters and great performances (Amber Heard OOZES sex appeal!!!) but is sadly missing a third act.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:43 AM
Reel Steel

Didn't realise this film was more of a kids flick, I actually thought it was more of a terminator type robot fighting film, not really hard but kinda semi, so I was a touch disappointed when I realised.

Once over that hurdle I did find myself enjoying the film as I accepted it for a kids film and nothing more, by this I mean its fun and a good innocent ride. Slightly a mixed bag I must say as the effects do range from really quite nice to a bit 'Transformer-ish', its of course very obvious (too obvious) that they have used motion capture for the robots as at times they move too well or too much like a human being.

The silly dance sequences involving the rather annoying little boy are cringeworthy and really take away any kind of realism the main robot may have had before, shame. These days things like that seem to be standard in films for the younger ages, remember Johnny Depp's little boogie in 'Alice in Wonderland'? good lord!.

Of course many issues with realism when it comes down to massive fighting steel objects that jump around all over the place, health n safety issues spring to mind haha but at the end of the day its a silly fun adventure that is essentially 'Rocky' with robots, cliched but uplifting, plus the ending wasn't all that predictable I thought.

Ding Ding!! round two...coming soon.

Space Truckers (1996)

Another memory from first day release at my local Odeon waaay back in ye olde 1996 hehe and at the time I did enjoy as I recall, I also enjoyed again recently.

Highly fun and thoroughly addicting to watch from to start to finish, what more can I say? really good fun semi serious sci-fi that kinda leans between 'Spaceballs' and 'Starship Troopers' in terms of effects, models and colourful characters. Don't get me wrong the effects are really neat they range from decent and real, with some '2001' type trickery, to almost jokey and a tad tacky yet still look good, must also comment on the costume design for the film which is really quite outrageous haha.

Imagine costumes with a cross between 'Alien' and 'Spaceballs' (again) but in technicolour yes that's what I said, its almost like a cartoon but quite stylish and at times very effective for the sequence. The cyborg warriors are also quite cool yet slightly unoriginal, shame they go all martial arts at the end which makes them look silly but there is a homage to 'Alien' there in the way they are all packed and 'hibernate', has that Giger nest type look.
Add to this vibrant future a very solid cast including the late great Hopper, Dorff and the sexy Mazar who all go up against a brilliant Charles Dance and his robotic power driven genitals lol! yes the great Mr Dance sinks to that level with his usual sensible calm manner and still comes across funny. Vernon Wells is also there as a main space pirate henchman for Dance but minus the dubious gay theme he tends to carry hehe perfect casting.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Altered - 7/10
Old 11-04-2011, 02:59 PM

X-Men: First Class
Old 11-04-2011, 05:21 PM
The Pledge

Sean Penn’s third feature paints a tragic picture of man’s destruction through obsession, not all that dissimilar in spirit to The Crossing Guard, and he re-teams with Jack Nicholson for another emotionally fractured performance that plays to that inner darkness Jack can bring out so convincingly in alpha men with deep-seated weaknesses. Jack’s retiring cop gets roped into the investigation of a brutal child killing on his last day, then vows to bring the bastard to justice with a personal promise to the little girl’s parents. It’s the kind of pat premise you’d expect out of a cookie-cutter Hollywood thriller, sure, but by the end of the movie it really doesn’t matter who the killer might be, or the excitement of any explosive climax, so much as the psychological toll the investigation has taken on Jack as he hunts the sick fuck down on his home turf after believing in his bones that his replacement caught the wrong guy to begin with. And Penn spared no expense to get the best to play even the smallest roles. Aaron Eckhart, Helen Mirren, Sam Shepard, Benicio Del Toro and Mickey Rourke all throw their hats in and make an impression, particularly Rourke’s heartwrenching cameo that should’ve woken up the industry sooner about the talent that was going to waste.

-> 8/10
Old 11-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Lake Of Fire - 8/10
Old 11-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Gentlemen Marry Brunettes with Jane Russell and Jeanne Crain - Two sisters try to make it in show business like their mother did by singing in nightclubs. This film isn't nearly as good as Gentlemen Prefer Blondes - the songs aren't great and the story is pretty pointless. 4/10

Storm Center with Bette Davis - A librarian is fired and vilified because she won't ban a book on Communism. Davis is fantastic and the film is a cautionary tale on censorship and the dangers of McCarthyism. 8/10
Old 11-05-2011, 01:52 AM
HARRY POTTER 8 ("cash grab '7' part 2") - 6/10

I'm so glad that's all over.

EDIT: Instead of spamming redundant posts, I'll just add to this comment....

This movie is just a good time. Which I had.

HOT FUZZ - 8.5/10

Still love the shit out of this. Hadn't seen it in a couple/few years.

Last edited by KcMsterpce; 11-05-2011 at 10:11 AM..
Old 11-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Crazy Stupid love

Old 11-05-2011, 02:08 PM

Inside Job
Old 11-05-2011, 02:31 PM

A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas - 7/10

New Christmas classic? Obviously you kind of know what you're getting going in, but I thought this was more clever than the last entry. The way they incorporate the style of the plot of these films with the Christmas themes makes for some truly hilarious moments. I don't want to ruin to much, but such examples include a bag of coke exploding and falling in the air while, "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" plays, or a homage to A Christmas Story that had the audience dying of laughter. Some jokes fall a bit flat, but for the most part I was laughing pretty consistently and there are several very big laughs. Also, who doesn't want a Waffle-Bot after seeing this movie? "Pancakes are fucking gay."

Best Christmas movie since Elf and Bad Santa.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Training Day 8/10
The Blues Brothers 10/10
Old 11-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Stalker 6/10
Old 11-05-2011, 05:03 PM
the Fast and the Furious[2001]

A fun summer movie.

2 fast 2 furious[2003]

a okish movie. more of retreaded of the first one but less fun
Old 11-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Killer Elite, Which I thought was pretty good..

Hangover 2, Every thing Must Go..
Old 11-05-2011, 07:09 PM
BloodRayne 2: Deliverance - 1/10
Cape Fear ('91) - 8/10
Old 11-05-2011, 09:15 PM
The Green Mile (9/10)
Old 11-05-2011, 09:33 PM
Sector 7 - 3/10
Headache inducing cgi and shitty acting/characters.
Earthling - 6/10
In Time - 6/10
Wasted idea but nice score.
Renfield The Undead - 2/10

Last edited by Cronos; 11-05-2011 at 10:38 PM..
Old 11-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Repulsion with Catherine Deneuve - The dream sequences were really creepy and intense in this film of a repressed woman who starts to go insane. Deneuve was fantastic and she definitely deserves her status as one of France's greatest actresses. 9/10

Get Low - I really liked Robert Duvall as a lonely hermit with a terrible secret and also Sissy Spacek as a woman from his past who returns to town. The film was basically just a build up to Duvall's speech at his own funeral party but it was still entertaining. 7/10

Hanna - This one I didn't care for as much. I did like Saoirse Ronan but Cate Blanchett was pretty much just a caricature and Eric Bana is just about always awful. 5/10
Old 11-05-2011, 10:27 PM

Old 11-06-2011, 02:29 AM
The Debt (8/10)
Midnight In Paris (8/10)
Old 11-06-2011, 04:02 AM

Eh, it is what it is. Not great, but it's a fun waste of time, and that's what I was hoping for.

KUNG FU PANDA 2 - 4/10

Lame. Not watching any more of these movies.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Without a Clue (1988)

I can't understand why this never did well upon release as I think its a marvellous spoof/comedy that is perfectly cast with Caine and Kinglsey as Holmes and Watson. This could easily of come from the mind of Mel Brooks really its that kind of light hearted romp with silly jokes and silly prat falls, not too childish just about right.

The plot for the film is also quite genius, simply the roles are reversed, Watson (Kingsley) is the brilliant detective and Holmes (Caine) is actually a bumbling drunk who is employed by Watson to pretend to be the real Holmes for the sake of his novels and his own job. Caine's character is actually called 'Reg Kinclaid' who simply inherits the name of Holmes for the big cover up that the real Watson has orchestrated.
What is also quite impressive is the look of the film, sets, costumes and location work are all really well done and look quite realistic, add to this a very impressive cast of classic stars (mainly English) and this really is a top class adventure very much like Gene Wilder's film 'The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother' only much better looking.

Tough Guys (1986)

Legendary duo Lancaster and Douglas team up again, for the last time, in this highly amusing comedy about a couple of old boy cons released and out of date in the modern world (1986). Its now of course even more amusing as 86 was along long time ago and the film has dated somewhat haha, this doesn't detract from the fun as the two leads are really magic together and play off each other perfectly, they almost look like brothers in their natty 50's suits.

The plot is pretty thin on the ground lets be frank here but the entire film is held together merely by the fantastic pairing of the two aging stars, the comedy is fair but the tough hood persona is so right for the duo. The film never gets dull for a moment as we see the guys try to live in their new world, Douglas has more of the laughs in his jobs where as Lancaster has more of the emotional side in his retirement home.

Along for this ride is Eli Wallach but to be honest his role isn't really needed and seems a bit too strong for this light hearted comedy, where as Charles Durning is perfect for his usual type role of a policeman on the case, stoic springs to mind.

Some great sequences, mainly the finale with the train heist which looks great, ending is a little flat and abrupt but I can't fault this top comedy, its surprising how good the duo were at comedy like this, you wouldn't think it really. Very much along the lines of 'My Fellow Americans' which is another good old boy classic.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:35 PM

Mimic (5/10)
So "meh". It was mostly formulaic (other than a couple of surprising kills) and dull. The movie just never really came together and didn't interest me much. There was some cool cinematography, though, and the creature design was kinda neat.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Waking Life - 3/10
Old 11-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Green Street Hooligans (8/10)
Old 11-06-2011, 02:57 PM

Tower Heist - 7/10

Often ridiculous and filled with plot holes, but some of that stuff actually adds to the movie's charm. It's incredibly entertaining and while there are only a few big belly laughs, I was chuckling throughout. The entire cast is fun to watch, but Michael Peña steals the show. I love how that guy can go from acting in incredibly serious movies to being drop dead hilarious in a comedy. While the plot is ridiculous and has plenty of holes, it's actually pretty satisfying when all is said and done. Ratner gets a lot of shit for consistently making movies of average quality, but he knows how to please an audience and consistently entertain. That's all I wanted with Tower Heist. It was much better than I expected.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Dabang 6/10

One of those bollywood films with romance, excellent music and dancing sequences and zany action sequences.

The Human Centipede 7/10

Another great example that you can make a great movie with a limited budget even if this movie is so fucking sick!
Old 11-06-2011, 08:27 PM

The third film from one of my favorite modern Russian filmmakers, Andrei Zvyagintsev. Finally saw it, and am not disappointed. First and foremost, this is arthouse, its' pacing is relatively slow and there's not a whole lot of a dynamic in it. Yet, it managed to hold my attention exactly because of the themes it was dissecting. The themes are obviously universal, yet somehow they're also very Russian. Beautifully shot, and thought-provoking indeed.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:45 PM
100 Rifles with Burt Reynolds, Jim Brown, and Raquel Welch - Reynolds plays a man who robs a bank in order to buy rifles for the Indians fighting against a repressive government in Mexico. The three get mixed up in the fight for different reasons in this western but from that point on it is isn't much different than other films of the type. It does have a few things going for it though such as Welch's incredible beauty and Reynolds' charisma. 6/10
Old 11-06-2011, 11:00 PM
The United States of Leland

An early Trigger Street pet project that should be a masterpiece with the cast they managed to get, but falls well short with some untested talent at the helm. It begins promisingly enough – a serene, well-regarded - if a little odd - teenager one day suddenly decides to stab a handicapped kid to death. The rest of the film deals with the fallout from that tragedy, unraveling possible motives and trying to get to the heart of what makes Leland tick through everyone around him in flashback and present day. It’s a fine performance from Gosling to anchor it, but the screenplay lets him down by creating a character that by the end is almost as opaque as when he starts, and the resulting story is a muddled mess of vague emo musings about why he might’ve committed the crime without any real conviction in its broader message. Whatever the fuck that might be. But that I sit here not really caring as much as I want to is a problem.

-> 6/10
Old 11-07-2011, 12:49 AM
Man-Thing (2005)

On the plus side this film looks great truth be told, despite the low budget and little faith from Marvel the film does look the business. The swamp looks pretty much like a grotty, smelly, marsh-like festering pit with gnarled trees and lots of creeping vines, I was actually impressed as I really was expecting a cheap looking B-movie. Again I must throw kudos on the creature effects too, a mix of cgi and rubber suit (I think), a great set of buzzing red eyes, nice creature sound effects and good use of the swamp for assisting in the stealth approach all add for a decent looking creature not too far from how 'Spawn' looked in his film debut (cgi version).

On the down side, a major downer really, is the fact the original comicbook story has been completely ejected and replaced with a simple horror based yarn. Now the title creature is simply a monster that kills anyone with no remorse or mercy, its basically a total badguy. If your gonna make a film about a Marvel character then you really should stick to the original story, BUT to be honest the horror plot they have used does work even though its predictable and cliched. The makers really should have decided what they wanted to do here.

So as said the plot is dumb and unoriginal but it does work as a fairly decent adult horror slasher type with plenty of gruesome moments, plenty of blood, plenty of body parts and absolutely no hang ups on not going down the kiddie route, well done.

Other issues abound also such as major plot holes and some major explanation's needed simply because they haven't followed the comicbook so no one watching will know what on earth is actually happening. And on a final note despite the creature actually looking pretty darn good it also looks nothing like the original 'Man-Thing' should look like thus you wonder why they even called it 'Man-Thing' when really this film, even though its quite fun, isn't really anything to do with the Marvel character.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Drugstore Cowboy - 8/10

That darn hat.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Metro (1997)

Eddie! Eddie! Eddie! why don't you make hard ass flicks like this anymore!!!!? alas poor Eddie, thou maketh such crapeth these days.

The last adult action flick from Mr Murphy before he plunged into the 'children's TV' period of his dwindling career, its not a stunning action film but its certainly a pretty good attempt and much better than 'Beverly Hills Cop 2/3'. The thing that hits you first about this film is it looks sharp, the opening credits are damn nice and Murphy looks his coolest since 'Beverly Hills', its a slow builder for sure but with Wincott as the baddie with his raspy devilish voice it keeps you glued to the screen.

Another good impression maker is the excellent action stunts, most noteably a great car and tram chase with multiple wrecks which all look realistic, some good tense stand offs and none of it being watered down, a good step for Murphy although at times he doesn't quite nail the gritty realistic acting thing.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Moneyball - 6/10
Old 11-07-2011, 08:47 PM
The Silent House - 2/10

Midnight in Paris - 8/10

Possibly the surprise of the year for me. I had a big 'ole goofy smile on my face the whole way through. I had struck Woody off after he was unable to entertain me with anything after the 1980's, but I'm happy I gave this a shot.

(Owen Wilson is the best Woody alter ego ever)
Old 11-07-2011, 09:04 PM

Old 11-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Roberta with Irene Dunne, Fred Astaire, and Ginger Rogers - The songs and dances aren't as good as I expected from an Astaire-Rogers musical. The story itself is decent if a little predictable and Rogers is the only one who really stood out regarding the acting. 5/10
Old 11-07-2011, 10:18 PM

Old 11-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Chinatown (Roman Polanski, 1974) 4 out of 4 stars
Wow, this movie blew me away. I love film noir and this does a really good job of getting to noir atmosphere down. Jack Nicholson is phenomenal in this. Movies like this is why he's one of my favorite actors. The rest of the cast is also very good, including Faye Dunaway and John Huston (who, funnily enough, wrote and directed The Maltese Falcon which this film kept reminding me of). Chinatown is suspenseful as hell and the plot twists keep on piling up as the case grows bigger, expanding from the simple task of following a man to something so much more. This is truly a masterpiece, and I would put it in my top twenty-five favorite films.
Closed Thread